Thread: Individual honor level

Senior Member Senior Member Draksen's Avatar

Konnichiwa Minna-san !

Here is a little article I have read in the Unofficial STW FAQ :
    "EVERY man in a unit has his OWN personnal honor. The computer keeps track of every individual's honor level. What you see for a unit's honor is an average of all the honor of all the men in that unit (plus the honor increase or decrease that may occur due to the honor level of the taisho commanding the unit is part of.) (...)
    Honor affects a unit offensively an defensively (but not against ranged fire) simultaneously. (...)"
    Great no ?

Have you ever noticed this during your batlles ? (faster men ? "Fast killing" men ?)

Can you continue using an unit of 20 Warrior Monks (5 or 6 Honor !) ?
    Or is it better to mix them with a group of "new"monks ? (and of course decrease the average honor level ...)

------------------

Kazamatsuri clan
    www.geocities.com/draksen
    What I hate the most:

1-discussing politic with ignorant american teens.

2-discussing politic with ignorant british teens.

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

I've found that keeping a few high honor men, a sort of "elite" unit at less than half strength, if offset by numbers. I'd much rather have a lesser honor unit at full strength (60, 80 or 120 men) rather than a smaller unit of higher honor. So many things can happen (ie. arrows, etc.) to 20 or 30 guys on their way to combat that it isn't worth it.

Senior Member Senior Member Draksen's Avatar

You are right, solypsist-san !

According to the FAQ, mixing a group of 20 monks (Honor 5) and an other group of 40 monks (Honor 1) don't produce a homogeneous group of 60 monks (Honor 2)...

In fact, two possibilities :

1 - The FAQ is right : mixing "elite" units with others don't affect the individual quality of your best men.

2 - The FAQ is wrong : mixing units makes you "waste" your elite men.

------------------

Kazamatsuri clan
    www.geocities.com/draksen
    What I hate the most:

1-discussing politic with ignorant american teens.

2-discussing politic with ignorant british teens.

The log files make it pretty clear that mixing men doesn’t waste your good ones, and the fact that a troop has a solid 'backbone’ of veterans means the newer troops will not rout so readily. IMHO mixing troops does not only not waste your vets but increases the effectiveness of your new troops.

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

On the other hand, units facing an army of highly-honored (tho depleted) units may flinch in the face of so many flags. I've read this is so and have had battles where the foe decides to just retreat when faced with a lot of veterans coming at them.

------------------
    Wind fells blossoms, rain
    fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

If you have fewer than 16 units in an army you might not want to combine the 20 monks with another 40 monks. 2 under stregnth Monk units will allow you more tactical flexibility to flank and to protect against flanking than 1 full strength monk unit. One unit of 60 monks by itself cannot flank, where you can use the 40 monks to front the enemy unit and flank with the unit of 20 veterans. Those 20 high honor monks will slice through the enemy's flank like buttah. However if you have plenty of units to form a 16 unit army you want to merge those 20 monks with the 40 to get as many troops on the battlefield as possible.
    All your base are belong to us

Actually one small change to my earlier reply. You can flank with one unit, but it is harder and the enemy will change it's facing so that you are no longer flanking it unless of course they are routing.

With two units you can perform a fix and flank with one unit fixing the enemy in place so that the other unit can hit the enemy in the flank.
    All your base are belong to us