Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 333940414243
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1290

Thread: What book are you reading?

Default Re: What book are you reading?

Very busy this quarter, but I am working my way through The Power Makers​ by Maury Klein

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi View Post

I'll definitely check out volume 12 and the atlas.
    Forgot to mention: volume 12 contains the sketch of a new book JRR was contemplating (or rather asked to give it a try) which was to be a sequel of LotR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Forgot to mention: volume 12 contains the sketch of a new book JRR was contemplating (or rather asked to give it a try) which was to be a sequel of LotR.
    Speaking of sequels, a guy in Russia called Nik Perumov wrote what he considers to be a sequel of LotR. I must admit that he carried it on pretty well, perhaps focusing too much on the martial element of it and offered some interesting ideas adding to the conceptual background of the story. Still, the book can't rival the original one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Just picked up Clearing the Plains http://www.canadashistory.ca/Books/L...s-of-Starvatio.
    The book consolidates the scattered narrative of Canada's history of isolation, starvation and disease as tools of public policy. After a long and thorough discussion of the natural process of disease introduction in virgin soil, the author embarks on an analysis of gov't use of these levers as conscious policy choices; never actually called genocide by the author, the facts make a pretty clear case.

I recommend it to anyone interested in Native History or the history of settlement in Western Canada.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Halfway through "Raising Steam" by Terry Pratchett and really enjoying it. Especially since I didn't liked the previous title, "Snuff" as much as the other Discworld novels.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Coling Gee's Sacrifice and Levinger on Conflict Analysis
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

I'm currently reading the Maze Runner Trilogy by James Dashner, i'm done with the 1st book (the maze runner). I'm now reading The Scorch Trials

Right now I'm reading Europe and the People Without History by Eric R. Wolf. The book is about the role that non-Europeans played in Colonialism and the spread of Capitalism, which is supposed to show that nations and societies are inter-connected and not bounded, separate entities.

I just finished the chapter on the fur trade and it was really interesting to learn how American Indians participated in the trade and how it influenced their own history. Usually all you hear about is how Native Americans served as guides for explorers and traded with mountain men which gives the impression that they didn't do much but in reality Native Americans played a pretty big role in the fur trade.

For England and St.George Senior Member ShadesWolf's Avatar

Game of thrones book 4 - A feast of crows
    Just finished book 3 part 2 - A storm of swords - blood and gold by George RR Martin

A fantastic story, you never know what is just around the corner, and which main character will be killed of next
    ShadesWolf
    The Original HHHHHOWLLLLLLLLLLLLER

Im a Wolves fan, get me out of here......

I seem to be on a Native History streak.
    The Inconvenient Indian, Thomas King is an overview of his understandings, observations and experience; he describes the book as a "story" as opposed to "history". The issues it touches on are serious and emotion laden, but he relates the tale with humour and insight. No bibliography but a useful history guide nonetheless. Loved reading it, just wish there was more.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/...rticle5841075/
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Writing Amish science-fiction is perhaps the ultimate vindication of the view of sci-fi as a consolatory genre.

Pennsylvania is a short story, 16,500 words (about forty five pages,) and it is the first in the Pennsylvania series.

Jedidiah Troyer is now a traveler. He has signed up for an emigration program that is colonizing the planet of New Pennsylvania. He just wants to start a farm and homestead on affordable land in a new Amish community. Space pioneering isn't as easy as it sounds when you're "plain." Things might work out for Jed... if he can ever get to his new home.
    At the time of my posting, it seems to be free!
    Last edited by Montmorency; 02-09-2015 at 20:21.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Member thankful for this post:

^^^ @Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla might like this sort of thing.
    Vitiate Man.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

That's just weird...

How would you even justify that theologically - you're leaving the Earth God created for you and getting on this horrific spacecraft that's probably powered by a Nuclear Reactor and probably rips a dirty hole in space-time...

Not my kinda thing - much more a fan of Black Jack Geary giving the Syndic Worlds a bloody nose whilst coping with massive culture shock.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

In the story, it's justified by analogy to previous Amish colonization efforts within and from Europe, as well as the whole "God created all the other worlds" angle.

Actually, looking at the author's other work and biography, it seems this is more up @Rhyfelwyr's alley.

I find I enjoy well-written 'dialectical' fiction, even if it's totally wrong-headed. I'm just coming off a string of totally dry, sophomoric, and uninspired titles (I'm looking at you "Crimson Worlds")...
    Vitiate Man.

Member thankful for this post:

The Stand by Stephen King. I made it about 700 pages in. It got weird, I rolled out.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiDamascus View Post
    The Stand by Stephen King. I made it about 700 pages in. It got weird, I rolled out.
    Worth finishing IMO, at least if you got 700 pages in. I know IT is at least 1200.

Reading Peter Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy at the moment, I love sci-fi even though his main characters are always a little too impervious for my liking generally.

It got oddly religious and I was not ready for that in my sci-fi book

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

The Moor's Account by Layla Lalami. Splendid so far (one third into it).
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

With Wings Like Eagles: A History of the Battle of Britain, by Michael Korda. Really excellent. Also slowly making my way though the Witcher series. I just finished the first book, The Last Wish. Hugely enjoyable series so far!
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

The Ends of the World
    Volcanic Apocalypses, Lethal Oceans, and Our Quest to Understand Earth's Past Mass Extinctions
    - Peter Brannen

"Brannen excels at evoking lost worlds." - THE NEW YORKER

I bought this in January, but was busy with other things and had forgotten about it. I found it in a pile of books next to my bed.
    It's fascinating and easy to read.
    Wooooo!!!

All Quiet on the Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque.

Can only read one chapter at a time, it's just too loaded and dark. Splendid book however.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

The Eichmann Trial, by Deborah Lipstadt. Far less controversial than the Hannah Arendt version.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Panzer Leader - Heinz Guderian...
    Last edited by Joey Deacon; 10-25-2020 at 14:36.

grapes of wrath. its just very good ! I would tell you more about the plot but i don wanna spoil it

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by calculage View Post
    grapes of wrath. its just very good ! I would tell you more about the plot but i don wanna spoil it
    A rather "dusty" choice...

"The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    A rather "dusty" choice...

Heh, I just learned of the Grapes of Wrath last night, as I was doing some research. Going to read it myself.

Right now I'm reading Ardennes 1944 about the Ardennes Offensive of WW2.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

The Air War eighth book in the Shadows of the Apt by Adrian Tchaikovsky.

I'm cheating because I use audio books now more often - helps on train travel to block the noise, and I can download a new book as I go.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

For England and St.George Senior Member ShadesWolf's Avatar

Warhammer, warhammer and warhammer

Main one being von carstein trilogy
    ShadesWolf
    The Original HHHHHOWLLLLLLLLLLLLER

Im a Wolves fan, get me out of here......

The book I am currently reading is Gazi Mustafa Kemal Atatürk by the respected Turkish writer and history ?lber Ortayl?.

think and grow rich. i love that book

Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 333940414243