Thread: Battle Formations

I was wondering if anyone knew what the different battle formations were for?

You know, crane, fish scales, arrowhead, etc.?

I'd love to know how to use them. I never have. They look pretty artistic to me and hence not very practical on the ground.

Mostly, they can be used by the attacker to prepare his troops before combat. The Defender gets to place her(his) troops exactly how he(she) wants them, so the Formations give the Attacker a chance to place their troops. Certain formations have things like: Archers on flanks, combat units centered, cavalry to the rear. Or maybe missile units centered, flanked by HtH, with Cavalry off to one side for flanking maneuvers. That kind of thing. Not many people use them, but they can give you a bit of an edge, especially if you know that your opponent likes Monk Rushes or something. You can have troops generally placed in relation to each other, so you don't need a few moments to re-order your troops. A quick defender can attack you while you're still arranging your men, and you have a morale negative when your men are disordered. Some formations are more aggressive than others, and allow you to start moving forward the moment the battle begins. If you don't see the need for having troops placed carefully, then I look forward to meeting you online.

Somewhere a few weeks ago, we had a major thread talking about the formations. Do a Search to see more.

-- B)

I think I'll want to perfect my techique before I start online play. I find arranging my forces VERY important. I will practice. Later .

Quote Originally posted by Lord X:
    I was wondering if anyone knew what the different battle formations were for?

You know, crane, fish scales, arrowhead, etc.?

I'd love to know how to use them. I never have. They look pretty artistic to me and hence not very practical on the ground.
    [/QUOTE]

hey, X, is that the same AOK player that i know?

No, I've never posted to any bbs before. I just bought the game and it is terrific!

Naughty Little Hippy Senior Member Tachikaze's Avatar

Lord X,

I believe the information you're looking for here and at the other "Battle Formations" thread is at the link below.
    http://members.aol.com/kllrkatnas/Sampaper.htm

Look about 3/4 of the way down the page.

------------------
    A murky puddle becomes clear when it is still.

Screw luxury; resist convenience.