Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: The Freeware and Open Source Software Thread

Dejotaros moc Praesutagos Member Cultured Drizzt fan's Avatar

Default Re: The Freeware and Open Source Software Thread

Triple A
    Homepage
    Open Source: Yes,
    Description: Basically it is The Board Game Axis and Allies online. Has both Single and Multiplayer capabilities, and is all around a very good adaption of the board game. Modders are also able to create new settings as well as new rules, making it a engaging game.

Don't think this is up there.
    Micheal D'Anjou
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    memory of the short lived king of Babylon Patrokles Adiabenikos

http://www.debian.org/
    Open Source: Undoubtedly.
    Description: Free Linux OS.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Sigil - .EPUB ebook editor:
    http://code.google.com/p/sigil/

calibre - ebook converter/player
    http://calibre-ebook.com/
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Gentoo
    Gentoo
    Homepage
    Open Source: Yes
    Description: Gentoo is a source-based Linux distribution. This means that unlike most distros, where pre-compiled packages are downloaded and installed, Gentoo users use portage to fetch and compile the source code. This approach allows for far greater customisation, at the price of long compilation (installation) times.

Bitlbee
    Bitlbee
    Homepage
    Description: Bitlbee is at the same time an IM client and an IRC server. Using an IRC client, you can connect to this server and use that to log on an IM service (supported: MSN, AIM, Yahoo!, ICQ and Jabber). Basically, this allows you to use your IRC client to log on to any of those IM services.

Openbox
    Openbox
    Homepage
    Description: Openbox is a Window Manager for the X11 Window System. Simply put, it is responsible for drawing your windows for you, as well as allowing you to manipulate them, use virtual desktops, etc. It is fairly minimalistic itself, and used in minimalistic desktop environments such as LXDE.

Please do correct me if I made a mistake with the role it plays.

Vim
    Vim
    Homepage
    Description: Vim is the improved version of the vi text editor. It is well-known for its speed and complexity. Scripts and syntax highlighting are supported, and it now has a GUI known as gVim.

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cultured Drizzt fan View Post
    Triple A
    Homepage
    Open Source: Yes,
    Description: Basically it is The Board Game Axis and Allies online. Has both Single and Multiplayer capabilities, and is all around a very good adaption of the board game. Modders are also able to create new settings as well as new rules, making it a engaging game.

Don't think this is up there.
    Ahh, loved triple a. Spent hours on that thing.
    Anyway, has FreeSpace 2 been added? It most definitely should be.

I think this goes under Unclassified Awesomeness or Games... wouldn't know:

Phun
    Homepage
    Open Source: No
    Description: 2D physic sandbox. Available in different languages too!
    Last edited by Raz; 12-14-2009 at 12:29.
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

< deleted>
    Last edited by Raz; 12-14-2009 at 12:29. Reason: double post - sorry.
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

WinDirStat
    WinDirStat is a disk usage statistics viewer and cleanup tool for Microsoft Windows (all current variants).
    WinDirStat reads the whole directory tree once and then presents it in three useful views:

* The directory list, which resembles the tree view of the Windows Explorer but is sorted by file/subtree size,
    * The treemap, which shows the whole contents of the directory tree straight away,
    * The extension list, which serves as a legend and shows statistics about the file types.
    I got tired of poking around on my games drive trying to find out where all the space has gone- so I downloaded this. I fell in love instantly when it showed me several gigs worth of temporary patch files buried deep in a games install directory.

Here's a sample image of how it displays drive info:

The individual blocks represent files- the size of the block indicates its relative size. Directories are color coded.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 12-27-2009 at 06:31.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Any free software-based keyloggers for use on my own computer that you guys know of?
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff View Post
    Any free software-based keyloggers for use on my own computer that you guys know of?
    First thing I thought of when you said this, was that you was asking to have a trojan on your computer.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    First thing I thought of when you said this, was that you was asking to have a trojan on your computer.

That is exactly what I'm looking for, but I also want my PC to be the reported-to destination. I'ts like having an automatic stenographer. Hardware keyloggers are a bit beyond my budget. ATM
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 01-28-2010 at 04:55.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

No idea how it is, but there's one on Sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pykeylogger/

The installation seems amazingly complicated. is anyone familiar with python?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff View Post
    The installation seems amazingly complicated. is anyone familiar with python?
    Nevermind, it is simple as long as you download the zip version in binary. handy little gadget, it records links clicked, characters typed and isn't caught by anti-spyware. The only problem I'm having is removing the donations screen from startup. If I was able to use the source version it wouldn't be as difficult to remove it. THanks!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Under Games.

Transcendence
    Homepage
    Description: Isometric, 2D space-combat / adventure game. You fly a little spacecraft around blowing things up, purchase or loot weaponry and armour, and fly onwards, taking on stronger enemies and eventually making it to the "Galactic Core". Good fun.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Revo Uninstaller
    Home page: http://www.revouninstaller.com/
    Open source: NO (AFAIK)

Helps you get rid of broken programs that you cannot properly uninstall and cleans their remnants up.

Worked for me.

There is a free and a paid version. The free one should suffice in most circumstances. I can't comment about the paid version, which I do not have.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

BabasChess
    Homepage
    OS: Microsoft Windows XP/Vista (95/98/2000/Me users must download an older version)
    Description: A free Internet Chess Client that provides what is possibly the most developed GUI for Free Internet Chess Server (FICS) players.
    -------------------------
    dmg2img
    Homepage
    OS: Microsoft Windows (theoretically cross-platform due to its open-source nature)
    Description: A tool that allows one to convert Apple's compressed dmg image disk files to standard .img (hfsplus) images.
    KompoZer
    Homepage
    Description: A web authoring system that features website file management and WYSWIG page editing. Easy to use for non-technical website managers.
    DVD Flick
    Homepage
    OS: Microsoft Windows (theoretically cross-platform due to its open-source nature)
    Description: Free, simple and powerful DVD authoring tool. Supports video file formats that even the latest version of Sony's DVD Architect Pro does not support (as of this writing).
    ImgBurn
    Homepage
    Description: A simple to use CD/DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray burning app for quick creation and burning of image disk files.
    WinMerge
    Homepage
    Description: A file comparison tool. Differences and merges files in Microsoft Windows. It is invaluable, especially for Total War modders as it can compare two EDU files, or other such technical text documents. Differences are clearly shown as they are colour-coded, making this one of the most easy to use differencing tools out there.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

new version of sumatra pdf (office utilities/suites) available for download.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

three new bits of awesomeness for you all:

Aardict - offline wikipedia dump-reader:
    Ubuntu/Mac/Windows/Maemo/Source
    http://aarddict.org/

Evopedia - offline wikipedia dump-reader:
    http://evopedia.info/
    Maemo/Symbian/Ubuntu

Calibre - ebook reader/management:
    http://calibre-ebook.com/
    Windows/OSX/Linux

Sigil -A WYSIWYG ebook/epub editor:
    http://sigildev.blogspot.com/
    Windows/OSX/Linux

opensuse 11.4 is released today:

http://news.opensuse.org/2011/03/10/opensuse-11-4/

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Ugh it's going to take me forever to update this. I should write something so I can copy and paste posts then throw it into XML for giggles.

I hope you do get around to updating this; this is the second most useful thread on the org, surpassed only by the babe thread.

Thank you for the time and effort you've put into it so far!

I have always been the sort to keep many Internet browser windows/tabs open at a time, even during those years when memory capacity and IE confined me to no more than 25 tabs before the desktop froze or crashed.

First, it was an extensive folder system of IE Favorites.

Then, it was txt files or email drafts packed with categorized and annotated links.

Then, after Chrome and 8GB of RAM let me push past 100 tabs, it was periodic browser crashes followed by tearful History archaeology to salvage what I could.

A few years ago, I adopted Chrome extensions such as Session Buddy to keep track of closed and open tabs, and that was a godsend.

Nevertheless, memory leakage would inevitably bring my OS session to 90+% physical memory usage. While not necessarily leading to lag, freezing, or crashes much of the time, I was still left with the problem of being unable to run anything other than utilities and minimally-intensive games without closing my browser first.

When I got that brand new computer a year ago with 16GB of RAM, I could comfortably run 150+ tabs and most-anything else simultaneously, but maintaining the browser (I usually keep the computer running on Standby when not in use, or Hibernate for longer periods) would eventually eat through uncommitted memory. In the end, I would still have to regularly go pruning in task managers to get respite for fresh work.

Now, for the first time in a decade of personal memory use, I asked myself: shouldn't there be something to optimize browser memory usage without obliging me to manually fiddle with memory allocations - or worse, actually compromise on my active tabs?

So I did a search and picked one of the first things I came across. A simple and undocumented tool, but it makes a tremendous difference. Where previously Chrome at 150 tabs would stabilize around 10-11GB usage, with occasional spikes to absolute ceiling depending on my activities, it now is contained at half that (i.e. 5-6 GB). This is all without Adblock or Noscript, mind you. I dropped Skyrim a month after I got my new rig because, as tedious as all the modding had been, it was even more tedious to keep my playing and my browsing largely separate. Now I can comfortably play Skyrim without special arrangements.

A good step IMO. I'll probably get around to adopting a more rigorous optimizer at some point - in a year? As for user hygiene, well...
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You could close tabs when you are done with them. You don't need to read 150 odd at the same time!
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

I wonder how you manage 150 tabs, I would imagine you either have problems clicking them at the top (if they're all there at once) and remembering what is open in which one anyway or you'd have multiple lines cluttering most of your screen, or have to scroll left and right through the list. Whatever it is, it sounds like just using well-sorted bookmarks or quick-select options would be faster.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

You could close tabs when you are done with them. You don't need to read 150 odd at the same time!
    I'm never done. Many stay open for months before I'm done, or compromise, or give up. In terms of a Ship of Theseus, you might call this the same set of windows I had at some point in 2013 (App Data copied over during computer replacement).

I wonder how you manage 150 tabs, I would imagine you either have problems clicking them at the top (if they're all there at once) and remembering what is open in which one anyway or you'd have multiple lines cluttering most of your screen, or have to scroll left and right through the list.
    On a 24" monitor, the tabs in a single window aren't uncomfortably crowded unless there are, say, more than 115. I use multiple windows at a time - minimally a second window for prurient content...

Generally, I have a good idea of what stretches of tabs are what sort of content, when I opened them, and what I need to do with them. For example, I keep my email pages, forum pages, and any other important services involving user accounts, adjacent to each other near the left edge of all the tabs.

Whatever it is, it sounds like just using well-sorted bookmarks or quick-select options would be faster.
    It's not - I have the experience.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Any freeware that could help get back Windows password?

Ophcrack works on Windows 7 pcs:
    http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/
    Kon-Boot works on Windows 10/8/7 pcs:
    https://kon-boot.com/docs/
    https://www.winpwd.com/
    And What Windows computer you are using now?
    The last methods support all Widnows OS.
    Last edited by MaminEry; 08-23-2019 at 07:43.

Any good free android software for managing files please?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________
    https://topspyingapps.com/5-best-app...out-the-phone/
    Last edited by YouWereAround; 01-14-2021 at 20:38.

thanks for the info

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678