Thread: Medieval Modding News Round Up

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

Default Medieval Modding News Round Up

This is a new thread, suggested by Aenarion, designed to keep you up-to-date with any modding developments in the Medieval Total War community. They may be a little thin off the ground these days, but there are some excellent mods still in development for Medieval.

In development

Pike and Musket

Cegorach's development on his very-impressive looking 16-17th century mod continues apace, and it looks like a highly ambitious project. I believe we can expect the latest and greatest version of it fairly soon. Check out this thread for latest developments and also some pics:

P&M Thread

Age of Warlords - Total War

My own latest effort, hopefully it will be out around Easter, not promising anything though, Summer latest. You can learn more about it here:

Age of Warlords thread

Silmarillion: Total War

Aenarion assures us that this mod is not dead, and lets hope not eh - it looks very impressive! You can keep up to date with it here:

Silmarillion Thread

Beta stages

Wes' Medmod IV: Path to Glory

Wes has been modding Medieval since the early days, and his work continues with his latest efforts on his ever expanding Medmod. Its still in the beta stages I believe at the minute but Updates are very frequent and you can udownload and discuss it by consulting this thread:

Medmod Thread

Fall of Rome - Total War

An excellent mod, Fall of Rome was recently expanded by the release of a new map. You can download and read about the mod here:

Fall of Rome thread

If I've left anyone out I'm sorry, just let me know ok? Finished mods such as Napoleon, Hellenic, BKB Super Mod and XL I have neglected to post. All threads relating to these can be found in the Engineers Guild, with download links and information normally in the first post. All updates for mods can be posted briefly in this thread in future. Thanks.
    Last edited by The Blind King of Bohemia; 02-08-2006 at 19:31.

MTW Modder and Supporter Member Aenarion's Avatar

Default Re: Medieval Modding News Round Up

Well done BKB! Thankyou for posting this list of Mods and regarding the Silmarillion Mod, it is still progressing!

Thanks alot again,
    Aenarion
    Silmarillion:TotalWar -A modification for MTW:VI
    Pls visit our website at: Silmarillion Mod
    And our Silmarillion Topic
    Modding Links:
    Alchemist Lab and Repository

Well if you've got a good pic mate feel free to send it to me, I'll put it up here. I've also got a couple of recent modding discoveries founded by people that I'll post later.

BKB I've sent you the picture u've asked me for. Oh and btw regarding ur comment
    I've also got a couple of recent modding discoveries founded by people that I'll post later
    I'm still waiting for them! lol!

Thanks,
    Aenarion
    Modding Links:

Flavius Claudius Julianus Member NodachiSam's Avatar

Nice idea BKB!
    Please check out my art http://calcaneus.deviantart.com/

Ok a small update. These two 'new discoveries' I mention are as follows, sorry if you already know them and they come as disappointment to you:

Changing units prior to battle engagments:

You know how you can dismount some units prior to battle? Well Cegorach has discovered something so fiendishly simple yet brilliant that I can't believe no one has ever tried before - you can do it with any units! For example, you may want to switch between Armoured and Unarmoured Pikemen in desert conditions. Here's pics of Cegorach's achievement:

And a word from the discoverer:

And FINALLY my pride - the result of lack of modding during Christmas.

I used something which was here all the time, but I really thought that I cannot do it, because it is so... rude and obviously will result in CTD, but... it didn't so it gives some really huge opportunities in making units which can change into different ones infantry to another infantry, infantry to cavalry, cavalry to cavalry, infantry to artillery etc.
    Its not essential but it looks good, so for the 'Change Battle Mode' text, first go into 'Changes' and find the line:

["CanDismountBeforeBattle_Tip"] {"Can dismount before battle"}

And change the latter to something more appropriate like 'Can change battle mode before battle'.

To finish it off, then go into 'Battle' and find this section:

////////////////////////////////////
    // Mounting / Dismounting
    ["Dismounted"] {"(Dismounted)"}
    ["Dismount/Remount"] {"Dismount / Remount"} // Right menu command
    ["Dismounting not allowed"] {"Dismounting not allowed"}

Change the text in the {} boxes to what you want, like 'Battle Mode Changed' and 'Change Battle Mode' as Cegorach has done and you'll be done I believe. I haven't tried it yet though so I'm not 100% sure if that's all you have to do. Please LMK if it isn't.

And I think that's all there is to it. I'm assuming you'll know where to add whether or not a unit can 'dismount/remount' into a certain other unit. If you don't know where to specify if a unit can change 'Battle mode' so to speak, go into the unit_prod files and have a look at where the dismount for a cavalry unit already in the game is stated. Now apply that in the same position for another unit using the Gnome Editor and 'voila!', it should work fine!

A great discovery that I hope Ceg doesn't mind me posting, and one that's sure to come in handy. I know I shall be using it at least!
    Last edited by The Blind King of Bohemia; 02-08-2006 at 19:49.

Adding Battle Sounds and Editing Arid Tile Sets

As for the second discovery, well its by that great, often overlooked modder, Iustinus. He does things in terms of Medieval modding that many often don't even consider as they are too difficult, such as edit map textures and battlemap sounds. And he's found a couple of significant new discoveries to do with these fields:

I am finding, though, some new things.
    You can create winter ground tile sets for arid, and the game will use them.

Also, apparently you can put in as many sfx as you want, as long as you write them down in the appropriate places in the sound file.
    For those of you knowledgeable in these areas I know these will be a great boost - these will help me no end with Age of Warlords, and I'm sure it'll boost some of you looking at doing total overhaul mods also. Hopefully Iustinus at some point can tell us in detail how exactly he did this.

BKB (Attempting to keep the world of Medieval: Total War modding alive! )
    Last edited by The Blind King of Bohemia; 02-08-2006 at 19:56.

Hey BKB,
    Thanks!
    Here's a few things in a little more detail that I have discovered:

1. I have also found that you can create seperate winter ground tile sets for Rock Desert (I don't know about Sand Desert, but I'm fairly sure it would work.)

As an example of what you can do with this, I've taken the Arid summer tile sets and Rock Desert winter tile sets and added green to them with photoshop- so that you get a little of the rainy season feel for winter battles in the desert, and so that Mediterranean landscapes are a little less dead looking in the summer.

All you have to do is create a folder called 'Winter' within the ground texture folders- just like there is a winter folder in the Lush ground tile folder.

2. On SFX, go to battle/sounds and open up the TABLE with notepad.
    To add a new sound, let's say a new scream of pain, scoll down to

"Event INFANTRY_DEATH probability 1 maxDist 500 minDist 4 minPitch .7 maxPitch 1.2 priority 0.2
    folder sounds\battle\troops"

and add, for example,

"NewDeathScream01"

under the list of sfx. Then go to sounds\battle\troops and place your sound, giving it the same name.

Using sfx from both MTW and the RTW demo, I have created huge lists of completely seperate sounds for Spears, Clubs, Axes, and Swords, so you can really hear the difference on the battlefield when spearmen are fighting and a group of men armed with axes slams into them.

3. It is rather annoying in certain mods (such as NTW and HTW) when artillery not using a model has no sound. I found a way around this, and although it still isn't great, this is what you can do to get some sound:

Go to sounds/battle/artillery and find Missile_Fly. Using Sound Recorder or another program, open it up, and paste another sound at the beginning- for example, Culverin for a cannon or Ballista for some ancient weapon. Now when the artillery fires you should hear the shot ringing out in the beginning before the missile_fly sound starts. I hope that is not too confusing!

Iustinus
    Awen ha ni?

Thankyou alot BKB! So much information! Oh and btw, sry once more for that thing ...

Thanks,
    Aenarion
    Modding Links:

Don't worry about it mate

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

A great discovery that I hope Ceg doesn't mind me posting, and one that's sure to come in handy. I know I shall be using it at least![/QUOTE]

Of course I don't mind, I find it extremely useful and I hope you will too

Regards Cegorach

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Hey BKB

You may know that I posted a link and summary of ER's RTW Modding News Roundup on the homepage of the .org. If you'd like me to do the same for this Roundup, PM me

Its a nice idea mate but i'm not sure there would be that much interest. I'm just be a realist here. With Rome being out for a while and Medieval 2 on the horizon i think you can understand my point

Not even for the few ones out there like me? (lol!)

Thanks,
    Aenarion
    Modding Links:

Well I think when a new mod is released we can make an exception.

Not affiliated with Red Dwarf. Member Ianofsmeg16's Avatar
    Home of Palm trees, cats with no tails, three-legged men, fairies...and more german bikers than germany

Great Work BKB, if you dont mind terribly, i think i'll use this in my newsletter i'm starting up.
    When I was a child
    I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb...

Proud Supporter of the Gahzette

Hi Everyone,

This Modding News Round Up was progressing quite well for a few weeks until it unfortunately dropped down. I was wondering whether there are some 'new discoveries' in the world of MTW Modding and whether any new updates in this topic will be added.

Thanks alot,
    Aenarion
    Modding Links: