Thread: Reordering unit cards

Question Reordering unit cards

After some googling around the forums, I was unable to find an answer to this, so I was hoping someone could help me out...

Is there any way to rearrange the unit 'cards' in an army, either on the tactical or strategic map? I find it hard to see, at a glance (for instance) how many melee, missile and cavalry unit an army has, and would much prefer it if I could rearrange the cards so that, for instance, all the hastati are next to each other and I can tell at a glance how many I've got. Is there any way of doing this? I know that on the tactical map I can use groups (G key), which groups units, but that also forces them to move together AFAICT...

I'm playing vanilla RTW, 1.3. Thanks for your help!

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Default Re: Reordering unit cards

Besides having them leave the army and then putting them back in in the order you want them I don't know of a way. I really hope someone has a much easier answer to this...
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Also, while at the topic of cards, is there a way to deselect all units on the tactical map?
    I always have at least one unit selected and if I don't remember and click on the map for one reason or another I usually get 'undesired' results...

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

@ C-F

press ctrl - unit ( card ) this will deselect the unit you're selecting at that moment.

@ QuantumEleven :

you should be able to do this by left clicking ( and hold ) the unit card in the battle, then move/ drag it to the desired place, this will put the selected unit card in the spot were you dragged it to.
    Works both on the tactical as on the battle map.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Hmmm I thought I had tried that, I'll give it another go the next time I load up. It is much better than my method.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C-F
    Also, while at the topic of cards, is there a way to deselect all units on the tactical map?
    I always have at least one unit selected and if I don't remember and click on the map for one reason or another I usually get 'undesired' results...
    hit enter and nothing will be selected, just dont do this on the deployment stage or u may prematurely start the battle.

As for the main topic

Campaign map,Hold the control key down select the unit you want first then the second and so on until you have them selected in the order you want them and when you right click to there new destination they will be in an order you like.

On the battle map. Select the units in order you want then group and then ungroup and they will be in the order you like.
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

Thanks, Oaty and everyone! The group-regroup trick on the tactical map works great, I had never noticed it before.

Cheers! :)

Belated thanks guys...