Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Over 30 factions?

Default Over 30 factions?

Caliban, a CA staffer writing at .com re the 21 factions

''We have been looking at this recently and I should have an answer in the coming weeks. We are looking to increase it to at least 30 if it doesn't cause too much drama.''

http://p223.ezboard.com/fshoguntotal...art=41&stop=53

I must admit i am very very surprised at this. i thought it was going to be a 21 faction for sure after CA's anouncement. If they boost it to more than 30 i will be suitably impressed. Fingers crossed.

So if we get 9 more factions what would you like to see included (whether starting factions in 1080 and emerging factions dependent on date or game conditions)? We have ''England, France, Scotland, Holy Roman Empire, Denmark, Spain, Portugal, Milan, Venice, Papal States, Sicily, Poland, Russia, Hungary, Byzantium, The Turks, Egypt, The Moors, The Mongols, The Tumurids, The Aztecs.''

I would like to see

Aragon
    Lithuania
    Kiev
    Kingdom of Jerusalem
    Norway
    Teutonic Knights

then another three between Bohemia, an Irish faction, a Welsh faction, Sweden, Armenia, Georgia, Genoa, Serbia, Croatia, Bulgaria, the Cumans, the Ilkhanate, Novgorod, Switzerland, Wallachia, Burgundy, Navarre, Frankish Greek states

Default Re: Over 30 factions?

Maybe they'll increase it with non playable factions.

as for your other question :

-Inca's
    -Toltecs
    -etc

;)
    Abandon all hope.

Bug Hunter Senior Member player1's Avatar

Serbia.
    Balkans should not be empty.
    Also it's rise and fall just match the M2TW timeline.
    BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for both Rome: Total War and its expansion pack

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Personally, I fear there may be a quality-quantity trade-off here. I am all in favour of letting modders have the freedom to create many factions, but I would rather CA concentrate on making a few factions distinctive and fun to play.

In MTW, I liked the historical leaders and faction-specific glorious achievements and always felt a little let down when some factions - eg the Danes - seemed to lack the loving given to others. In RTW, I liked the Senate missions, long Roman speeches and civil war, then felt a little short-changed that the other factions had less of such chrome. For an example of how this can be extended, one only needs to look at the EB beta, where Greek generals can compete in the Olympics, Roman ones get triumphs and every faction has flavoursome special victory conditions.

I don't really want the ability to play 30 bland cookie-cutter factions - instead, when I play as - say - the English, I'd like to feel that I am playing the King of England and not, say, the Holy Roman Emperor.

The nice thing about game sequels is that the company has more time to enrich the gameplay - I'd rather see "better" than "more".

If CA can diversify the factions enough, I'd like to see Egypt's factions split up. Then some added South American factions.
    Also, I'd like to see the Knights Hospitaller, Bourgondian and Dutch factions.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

A definate must is a splitup of Spain... Spain is wrong. Castille and Aragon would be enough for me.

But beyond that... I don't know, but I would not like to see Norway. Not because Norway does not deserve to be in (well at this time Norway was pretty silent though), but because it would cause Scandinavia to be rather weak in all. Two quite weak factions fighting each other would only lead to their both destruction by a stronger enemy, likely the HRE.

In case of Scotland and England the relationship is different. Scotland will be in a tough spot, while England less so. Thus England does not seem to suffer from this in any great extent, and Scotland adds needed flavour. Fair enough by me.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

I agree that Scotland adds some flavour to the game, especially to the English and French players. The English will have a lot of resources tied up with campaigns against Scotland, vital resources that could have been used against France. While the French could try and gain political and military influence in Scotland to open up a second front against England in the north.

I would like to see Grand Dutchy of Lithuania. Lithuania first mentioned in 1009, became powerful state in 14-16 centuries in Eastern Europe. Lithuanians stopped teutonic orders invasion in this part of Europe, ruled over major part of Russia, Ukraine. Severel times defeated mongols. So i think it should be represented in Medieval 2.
    As for other factions i vote for Armenia, Swedwen, Teutonic order, Aragon, Bulgaria, the Ilkhanate, Bohemia.

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

I would like to see:

Serbs
    Incas
    Sweden
    Lithuanians
    Aragon
    Bohemians
    Crusader States
    Khwarzimian Empire
    Burgundians

I could go on all day if its over 30. Well done CA even if you do get it that high, anything over is a bonus.
    Last edited by The Blind King of Bohemia; 01-25-2006 at 16:13.

Not affiliated with Red Dwarf. Member Ianofsmeg16's Avatar
    Home of Palm trees, cats with no tails, three-legged men, fairies...and more german bikers than germany

I Would like the Welsh* to be represtented, maybe only in early and high eras though..MY main concern will be the emergence of America in the late game, a couple more european factions (lithuania and Wales) would be awesome, but i certainly hope that most of the slots will be filled with Native americans, to keep the Aztec player busy, and to make the colonisation of America pretty damn fun for us euros

*Here's Hoping for a Welsh-American Empire
    When I was a child
    I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb...

Proud Supporter of the Gahzette

Bug Hunter Senior Member player1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Appleton
    Personally, I fear there may be a quality-quantity trade-off here. I am all in favour of letting modders have the freedom to create many factions, but I would rather CA concentrate on making a few factions distinctive and fun to play.
    Personally, I guess it will be dozen of flavorful playable facations, and rest non-playable copy/paste factions.
    BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for both Rome: Total War and its expansion pack

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

I would love to see a welsh Princedom or an Irish faction of some sort but i can't see it.

who's to say that North America will not be included with the south?
    that would require a couple of factions
    Hey, Im back

If there's to be another faction in the Balkans - that should be Bulgaria. I'd like to see the time frame devided into 3 or 4 periods. Maybe they can have Serbia in the 1300's since that's when it rose to challange the Bulgarians and the Byzantines. Meanwhile Bulgaria was at its zenith in the 1200's defeating the Latins and Epirus, stretching all over the Balkans (yes, including Serbia) and the Bulgarian king Ivan Assen II was called king of Bulgarians and Romaioi.
    The Bulgarian army could be a mixture of slavic infantry, some Byzantine influenced troops and a strong heavy and light cavalry (horse archers too) since the Bulgars were traditionally good horsemen coming from the steppes and also they often employed Pechenegs, Cumans and other steppe tribes as mercenaries.
    Alea Iacta Est

Not affiliated with Red Dwarf. Member Ianofsmeg16's Avatar
    Home of Palm trees, cats with no tails, three-legged men, fairies...and more german bikers than germany

Quote Originally Posted by Lentonius
    who's to say that North America will not be included with the south?
    that would require a couple of factions
    I thought it was North america and Central America, not the south..but yea, Aztecs in the centre, with the iriquois and Shawnee in the north
    When I was a child
    I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb...

Proud Supporter of the Gahzette

|x-x0|<d -> |f(x)-l|<e Member caio giulio's Avatar

I want Aragon!!!!

Germany, BW, Ich bin kein Schwabe, sondern Badner!

i knew it! I was very sure that they will make some more nations!
    The Enemy of my enemy isn`t my friend.

Some quotes of my prefer philospher Sepp Herberger :

"The round have to be in the bracket"
    "The play takes 90 minutes"
    "After the play is before a play"

I think if there's 21 factions for MP and 30 for the campaign the 9 not included in the MP will have the same units as the others and so I fear no new pagans/jews (Lithuania/Khazar) but more christians and perhaps muslims, such as Aragon, Bohemia etc.
    This post was not written by a native English speaker, we apologise for the fault in the grammar and spelling.

Germany, BW, Ich bin kein Schwabe, sondern Badner!

that couls be a possibilitiy, have the developers said that they want to divide the campaigns or do they want to ake ist like Rome and the ather Total War games?
    The Enemy of my enemy isn`t my friend.

Some quotes of my prefer philospher Sepp Herberger :

"The round have to be in the bracket"
    "The play takes 90 minutes"
    "After the play is before a play"

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I suggest Bulgaria and not only because I was born there. Bulgarians were one of powers in the Medieval world - a major rival of Byzantium. Yes, the empire conquered Bulgaria and ruled Bulgarians for a century and a half. But Bulgarians raised a rebellion and revived the Bulgarian state in 1185. I am going to give some examples.
    In 1204 the great Byzantine empire was destroyed by the crusaders. Then the crusaders wanted to conquer Bulgarians ( in their view it was part of the Byzantium). And then... the battle of Adrianople took place ...

Bulgarians:allies:byzantine aristocrats and Cuman mercenaries
    main force: Bulgarians
    Latins: main force: crusaders

Result: the Latin army was defeated their emperor Baldwin I captured (and killed one year later), most of the crusaders killed.In the next years the Bulgarians were the main force on the Balkan peninsula... And according to somefamous historians Charles Dil and G. Ostrogorski this Bulgarian victory saved Byzantine state Nicaea and Epir from being conquered by Latins.
    Some pictures ( I'll try to find the plan of the battle)
    Bulgarian monarch:Kaloyan(1197-1207)

Thanks to that site: http://debian.fmi.uni-sofia.bg/~nikola1/Kaloyan.gif
    It will be really good idea to make Bulgatrians faction (including in the high period Walachia( Cumans were vassals of Bulgarians) and also Moldavia(the same reason-there were the Cumans too) and also some special armour piercing units.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Why must CA even provide additional pre-made factions? Simply having the max faction limit increased would allow modders room to create whatever factions that people would like. That way everyone can add the factions they think ought to be in there. It also allows CA the ability to focus of the original 21 factions and flesh them out properly.
    Magnum

Blog Entries
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Over 30 factions?

Too much mistakes I missed to say that 'the greatest tsar' was Ivan(John) Asen II (1218-1241) and his success was connected (to some extend) with the battle of Adrionople(look the map). I'll try to be more careful next time
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Hi, Stephen! Welcome to the Org . It is good to see another Bulgarian on the forums! I hope you like it here and stay with us for awhile. From your posts it appears that you are really pasionate about history. That's what got me started playing MTW as well. I am too very disappointed that Bulgaria was not included in the first MTW installment but there are some great mods around if you look on the forums. Also be sure to check out the Monastery section of the forums where we have some really interesting (and heated) discussions.
    Alea Iacta Est

Only-Custom-Made-Avatar-User Member SirRethcir's Avatar

CA will probably raise the hardcoded faction limit. I don't think they will make new factions.

Kaiser of Blitz
    from Aemilius Paulus for EB Unit List Reloaded
    from soup_alex for EB Unit List Reloaded

Master of the Horse Senior Member Pindar's Avatar

The best additions of factions are in areas where they could effect several other established factions. I would add:

Aragon
    Burgundy
    Bohemia
    Bulgaria or Serbia
    Outremer
    Armenia
    Cumans or Ilkhanate
    Kievan Rus
    Teutonic Knights
    Last edited by Pindar; 01-26-2006 at 08:31.

"We are lovers of beauty without extravagance and of learning without loss of vigor." -Thucydides

"The secret of Happiness is Freedom, and the secret of Freedom, Courage." -Thucydides

When were the Crusader Kingdoms setup exactly? I would like to see some small principalities in the Holy Lands, and perhaps give the holy lands more "provinces" if they use provinces like in MTW.

Perhaps make them unplayable but create events throughout the game to cause the player to help or hinder them etc.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blind King of Bohemia
    I would love to see a welsh Princedom or an Irish faction of some sort but i can't see it.
    We're counting on you to make it happen, BKB!

Here is the factions that I would like to see in MTW2

CATHOLIC

Aragon,
    Castile Leon (Spain),
    Crusader States,
    Denmark,
    England,
    France,
    Holy Roman Empire,
    Hungary
    Milan (or Genoa),
    Papal States,
    Poland
    Portugal,
    Scotland,
    Sicily,
    Teutonic Order,
    Venice,

MUSLIM

The Turks,
    Egypt,
    The Moors

ORTHADOX

Armenians
    Bulgarians
    Byzantium,
    Kiew Russians,
    Novgorod
    Serbians

PAGAN

Aztecs,
    Cumans,
    Lithuanians,
    Mongols,
    Tumurids,

Some factions could change, if the game does not have era's (Crusader States, Teutonic Order ect.). They should be replaced by muslim, pagan, orthedox or other exotic factions other than catholic.

MTW XL version 3.0 out now! Get it here:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=31201

I'd like to see Armenia in the game as an added faction. I can't recall, were they in the original MTW, or did I see them in a mod?

OT: Why would CA or any other developer not allow a lot of faction slots or everything else that's hardcoded? What are the advantages for them not allowing modders to do all they can?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast