Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Screenshot Preview thread

Default Re: Screenshot Preview thread

Nothing exciting, huh? Love the shots of the Ghazi Infantry, is that a couched lance animation in the background of the third picture? Those Men-at-Arms you have your Saracens fighting look extremely good as well, I don´t think I´ve seen them earlier on. Or maybe I forgot them over the couple of other great units.

Todays Preview

Jund Militia

These men hail from parts of syria. They carry large wooden shields and a spear. They are meant for garrison work or light patrol duties. Place them on the open field of battle without their large stone walls behind them and they will crumble before your enemies onslaught.
    Creator of The Crusades a complete modification for Barbarian Invasion
    Can a man love a mod? No, probably not. But here, at The Crusades, we believe in unnatural loves stories!

Todays Preview

Syrian Archers

These men were some of the finest foot archers in the Islamic world. Archery had a great importance in the Islamic world and these men were trained from birth to shoot with the bow and arrow "...so it is the right of our children that we teach them to write and to shoot arrows, and leave them their rightful inheritance." Fear their presence on any battle field for they may not defeat you outright, but they will make sure the price of your advance is paid in blood.
    Can a man love a mod? No, probably not. But here, at The Crusades, we believe in unnatural loves stories!

Quintus Libo / Austria Member Glaucus's Avatar

sweeeet, I really like your archers, love the quivers on hip/back and robes! Keep 'em coming, can't wait for this mod!
    HBO Rome:
    Mark Anthony
    :I shall be a good Politican, even if it kills me... or anyone else for that matter.

Todays Preview

Arabian Lancers

These horsemen are some of the best cavalry the Arabians can field. Surpassed in strength and speed by only the Arabian Nobles. They carry large kite shields and a lance and possess a thunderous charge that leaves their opponents in ruins.

Today I am taking a break from units to help with other aspects of the mod. Mostly this means finishing up the strat map models so they can be properly previewed (hopefully soon, still working out some bugs.) What I'm gonna show you is a by-product of this work. Enjoy!

Default Re : Re: Screenshot Preview thread

it's great,this warship can is armed with magonel,ballista, or they transport some soldiers ?

"Audacity, always audacity!" Member Simmons's Avatar

Default Re: Re : Re: Screenshot Preview thread

Quote Originally Posted by almazor
    it's great,this warship can is armed with magonel,ballista, or they transport some soldiers ?
    I image they would transport troops and engage other fleets just like in normal RTW but the ships from RTW are not really appropriate for The Crusades so they have been changed.

Looks great Caius it will really help the immersion.
    Last edited by Simmons; 05-07-2006 at 08:04.

“By push of bayonets, no firing till you see the whites of their eyes”
    - Friedrich der Große

Default Re: Re : Re: Screenshot Preview thread

They look damn fine...
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Sweeet
    "…Birds of battle screech, the grey wolf howls, spears rattle, shield answers shaft. …Then many a thegn, laden in gold, buckled on his sword-belt. …The hollow shield called for bold men"s hands..."

Todays Preview

Arabian Light Infantry

These men hail from the deserts of Arabia. Forced to live in these conditions these men are hardy and determined on the battlefield. However they lack the fighting skills of the other Saracen infantry and rely mostly on their numbers to defeat their enemies. They are armed with large wooden shields and short lances.

Since most of the units now that are left are really boring (there are still a few to see in the days to come Inner Circle Knights, some Turkish units, Arabian nobles) so I'll be preveiwing the strategy map in small peices.

Todays Preview

Faction Fleets

These will be the ships that transport your men from europe as the crusaders and defend against Saracen attempts to stop the flow of troops. For the saracens you will use these fleets to cripple the Crusader supply lines wreaking havoc on their coastal cities.

Earl Of Warwick/Wannabe Tuareg Member beauchamp's Avatar
    Minneapolis, Minnesota/Kaltenbach, Tiroll

Awsome! Might I recommend though, a Dhow like boat for the saracens...
    otherwise, awsome work.

Ya Misr!

Todays Preview

Since its been so long since the last one I'm previewing a couple of units at once. In this preview you will see an Arab army made up of Arabian Tribesmen, Archers, Horse Archers and Light Cavalry attempt to defeat a much smaller force of Kingdom Men-at-Arms supported by French Knights.

The Arabians number some 1000 men, all lightly armed and outnumbering their enemies more than two to one with their cavalry outnumbering the French Knights nearly four to one. Even with numerical superiority the arabs know they will be hard pressed to win this battle.

The battle opens with the French Knights charging the arabian tribesmen in hopes of scattering the weaker enemy and allowing their forces to sweep through cutting them down quickly and efficiently. The Men-at-Arms follow the heavy cavalry and completely collapse the arabian left flank sending the undisciplined tribesmen running for their lives. The arabian archers pepper the enemy advance killing several of the knights, however they are quickly overtaken as well. Soon the entire line is in shambles and full retreat.

The arabians fall back to a row of dunes and regroup also giving time for the crusaders to rally their cavalry and men and renew their advance. This time the tribesmen of arabia go on the offensive and strike hard and fast at the infantry lines while the light cavalry ride around the flanks trying to draw the knights away from the foot battle.

The French knights, being peppered with arrow fire from the horse archers give chase and are drawn out of the battle. This lapse in judgement from the european noblemen allow the light cavalry of the arabians to charge the rear and flank of the Kingdom foot soldiers. Sadly the tribesmen attack quickly fizzled out and were they routed almost as soon as they made contact. This quick victory gave the men-at-arms time to turn and face their new enemy. The light cavalry was unable to maintain its mobility and were quickly defeated as well. Upon seeing their brethened deafeated the rest of the Arabian cavalry quickly out-stripped the french knights and fled the battlefield.

Although out numbered the Knights of Europe and their Latin Kingdom allies were able to obtain victory. However the outcome would have been very different if the arabians had been able to field their heavy lancers and noblemen.

P.S. yes those are couched lance animations you see in the last picture
    Last edited by caius britannicus; 05-16-2006 at 02:51.

Todays Preview

Naffatin Fire Throwers

These men are a precious commodety in The Crusades, few and far between they pack a punch that very few units possess. They carry six small casks of naptha to hurl at their enemies burning them alive in a gruesome death. The very sight of them on the battle field strikes terror into the very soul of the enemy. On large settings each unit will consist of 12 men and so they are very vulnerable if left alone, make sure to give them a strong guard and they will turn any battle in your favour.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Excellent! Really really great skins.

Quintus Libo / Austria Member Glaucus's Avatar

Very nice, those fire throwers look awesome as well as that preview battle. Eye candy and good gameplay, this mod is awesome!
    HBO Rome:
    Mark Anthony
    :I shall be a good Politican, even if it kills me... or anyone else for that matter.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Stunning work, as usual Cauis. I loved the mini-battle.

Naphta is back
    This gets better and better - please don´t abandon it in favour of MTW2, there´ll be a lot users playing RTW mods while saving for a system that can handle its sucessor (me being one of them).

Don't worry I'm not abandoning anything. Far too much blood, sweat, and semen... err tears went into this mod to let it go now.

Todays Preview

Anatolian Infantry

Like many Saracens, these medium spearmen are well disciplined when compared to 'Frankish' opponents. Their spears give them an advantage when fighting cavalry, and they are lightly armoured allowing them to move swiftly beneath the desert sun. They can hold their own against medium and light infantry but heavy sword armed enemies will cut through them like butter.
    Last edited by caius britannicus; 05-19-2006 at 21:19.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

You know I've noticed something. Lots of mods make models which look great in the 3d renders, but yours also look great in game. Really impressive work.

Alright, I was getting bored, so I just picked a mod with an interesting name to check out, and by the screenshots this will be cool. I'm interested, but I'm not gonna buy BI, will you ever make a version for the normal Rome?
    "Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite." - John Kenneth Galbraith

1.6 and 1.5 are essentially the same. So The Crusades will work for both.

Todays Preview

Teutonic Order Foot Knights

Although these knights do not ride a horse into combat they are just as deadly without it. They wield a massive two handed sword when in battle and they are capable of cleaving their enemies in two with a single swing of their weapon. Few in numbers but also heavily armored they raise the spirits of nearby troops and strike fear into the hearts of the enemy.
    Last edited by caius britannicus; 05-23-2006 at 14:44.

Count Member Refnulf von Holland's Avatar

looks awesome!

Evil to the core, I don´t want to meet one of those in a dark alley
    I bet they go through enemies like a shark through a surfer, much like the Gothic Foot Knights in MTW

their swords look a tad over the top, but they look rele cool. they must be an expensive unit to maintain.

Today I have a very LARGE preview for you. I will be recounting for you the tale of Teutonic Grandmaster Heinrich Walpot von Bassenheim and his army of the Teutonic Order.

He had answered the call from the King. Saladin had laid siege to Tyre and his Majesty and his Army of Jerusalem where pinned inside the ancient stronghold. He had marched 3000 spearmen, 200 horse, all knights, 500 crossbowmen and 100 heavily armored foot knights to lift the seige. He had been successful, but it cost him many lives and now two days later he was marching back across the plains of syria to his stronghold in Belfort.

He marched in standard column, he himself led the vanguard while his knights protected the flanks and also took up the rear. It had been a long two days and his men where showing signs of extreme fatigue. Faintly, on the wind he heard a horn blow, then came a shout from one of his lieutenants.

"SARACENS! TO THE EAST!"

It couldn't have come at a worse time, his column was stretched nearly a mile long and it would be near impossible for him to rally his men and face the Saracen threat. He quickly wheeled his bodyguard to take up the left wing and sent orders for his men to form a line with the rest of his mounted and foot knights taking position on the right. He hoped the weight of his knights charges on either wing would be enough to fold up the Saracen line and allow him to surround them.

The line formed quickly, the Saracens were still over a half a mile away. He quickly surveyed his line and then called the for a general advance. He then turned and looked across the field at his enemy.

On the other side of the battlefield the Saracens marched steadily forward. They held numerical strength and contained two regiments of the feared Black Guard. These units had not been at Tyre and were eager for battle. The Saracen general ordered his own troops to move toward the Teutonic line. Placed at his center was one regiment of the Black Guard, the other took up the right flank opposite the Grandmaster. His hopes for the battle were simple. He planned to pierce the Teutonic center before his wings gave way to the knights. If he could do this he would be able to turn his line and absorb the heavy charge of the european knights and avoid being surrounded.

As the armies closed each side began to pick up the pace of their advance. Signals blared from both side to call the charge. The Saracen line surged forward developing into a massive wedge of men and horse with the Black Guards forming the deadly tip. The Teutonic line maintained its position and surged forward in unison. First to clash on the battle field where the Teutonic spearmen and the Black Guard.

The europeans wavered but held their ground. Quickly the knights on the right flank pushed home their attack. The cavalry crashing into the enemy ghulams and light arabian cavalry while the foot knights swept into the enemys anatolian spearmen.

As he watched his men crash upon the saracens like a great wave crashing upon cliff, von Bassenheim lead his own bodyguard in a daring frontal charge of the Black Guard stationed on the right.

Sadly it was all for naught. The Teutonic center buckled then broke just as the knights on both flanks gained ground. The Saracen general pushed his Sibyan Al Rikab through the hole that was created, routing the crossbowmen and the spearmen in a matter of minutes. The knights out on the right flank were then surrounded and killed to the last man as their Grandmaster escaped with the few men that remained in his bodyguard. It was a bloody defeat for the the grandmaster and his newly created order. He would return to Belfort where he would lick his wounds and plan his vengeance.

Special thanks to the guys at Chivalry Total War who so generously allowed the use of their covered horse model
    Last edited by caius britannicus; 05-25-2006 at 01:38.

Awesome update!
    "Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite." - John Kenneth Galbraith

What can I say but ? Amazing, especially the Teutonic Grandmaster bodyguards are fantastic. I so want to play this.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast