Thread: Map Updates and Previews

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Map Updates and Previews

You can ask questions and see updates on the campaign map here. I'll also be posting a full run down of the way the campaign map will function and the role of cities,villages and stongholds at a later date. Stay tuned!

The Overal Map with RTW map super-imposed ontop for a sense of scale

The mountain path above Jerusalem near Damascus
    To give you a rough idea that pass is nearly as wide as RTW Italian peninsula
    Creator of The Crusades a complete modification for Barbarian Invasion
    Can a man love a mod? No, probably not. But here, at The Crusades, we believe in unnatural loves stories!

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Default Re: Map Updates and Previews

Any slowdown associated with the map that is 5 times bigger than the RTW map?

none that we have noticed yet.
    Can a man love a mod? No, probably not. But here, at The Crusades, we believe in unnatural loves stories!

IW Director, MA Mapper Member Ilsamir Lord's Avatar

I saw awhile ago that you were discussing turning off the HGT converter or something, to get R:TW to bypass its own map generating process. I seem to remember that the R:TW map makes all areas somewhat bumpy, just to make battlefields more interesting.

Is there any news on this? Or am I completely forgetting what I saw?

Also, and I probably need to read up a bit more, why are you not including any parts of Europe? Do the crusaders start with lands in Asia Minor?
    Last edited by Ilsamir Lord; 02-12-2006 at 08:18.
    VISIT OUR FORUM

An Original Fantasy Concept

Yes they do. The Crusader campaign starts in 1187. Saladin has crushed the Kingdom of Jeruslam and taken the holy city itself. The Kingdom has been forced all the way back to the ancient stronghold city of Tyre and a few outlying villages. Richard the Lionheart is on his way to the Holy land to assist in the great crusade that is to come. As the crusaders it will be your goal to crush Saladin and reclaim the Holy Land in the name of Christianity.

AoM: TW Director Member Lonely Soldier's Avatar
    Brisbane, Australia... but hopefully not for too long.

And what of the hgt thingy?
    THE AGE OF MANKIND
    - Deceased

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good
    Any slowdown associated with the map that is 5 times bigger than the RTW map?

I think he was refering to the fact that the map scale makes two turns per year a bit out of scale - it hardly takes a couple of years to travel from Alexandria to Jerusalem. Maybe you incorporate the More Turns Per Year script, making a turn one month, for example.

the amount of turns per year and the distance travelled by armies on the map are of course paramount to the playability. The tpy are top secret right now but it is more then one... and well its also more then four. I'll leave it at that.

Count Member Refnulf von Holland's Avatar

Map Update

Ok we have made some major progress with the map thanks to Uranos. This is just a sneak peak of the Principality of Antioch area and what you are likely to see in The Crusades.

Antioch

One of the great cities of the Roman and Christian world, Antioch had only been captured by the Muslims in 1085, having been retained by Byzantium until then. It's capture was key to the success of the First Crusade - without control of Antioch, the crusaders could not have moved on to Jerusalem. The siege lasted for seven and a half months, and conditions for the crusaders were often worse than those inside the city. The city was located in the valley of the Orontes, in mountainous country. The city itself was on the valley floor, with the citadel high on the mountains above the city, but contained within the city walls.

Walls of Antioch
    https://img80.imageshack.us/img80/38...antioch4qt.jpg

Campaign Map
    https://img95.imageshack.us/img95/7063/antiochsm6nq.jpg
    https://img113.imageshack.us/img113/...iochsm24tn.jpg

P.S. next map preveiw will be the Country of Tripoli

cheers

reiks

"Audacity, always audacity!" Member Simmons's Avatar

Wow very impressive campaign map shots.

“By push of bayonets, no firing till you see the whites of their eyes”