Page 114 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1464104110111112113114
Results 3,391 to 3,400 of 3400

Thread: Movie Review Thread

Default Re: Movie Review Thread

Right, I saw House of Gucci, quite excited about it as a fashion and luxury goods fan. I left rather underwhelmed... probably too much hype around it which gave me a skewed expectation.

Good movie to understand the mystique behind Gucci.

I couldn't help but notice in the Matrix sequel, Resurrections, that the threat to humans is arguably the most prominent thematic divergence from the original series.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    1. The new iteration of the Matrix is set up to minimize the threat to the human batteries, whereas in the trilogy the integrated humans were dying by droves. All those cops and civilians in the originals, the randoms that agents cloned onto, were dead meat. In the new movie most or even all of them are just "bots." How did the Machines fail to conceive that design in the very first iteration of the Matrix?

2.The threat to the independent humans is also minimal, since the humans do not take to the field often, having doctrinally curtailed harvesting operations, and there is little expectation of any forthcoming attack on the human city, Io (IIRC), to the point where there is no evidence of the omnipresent militarization that characterized Zion.

3. Even the heroes plugging into the Matrix never seem to come very close to dying, and I'm fairly confident all of them make it to the end.
    In the originals, of course, humans on missions died easily, and the threat of death IRL hung palpably over every moment a crew spent exploring the Matrix. As it happens, by the end of the third movie, almost every human character we had ever met was dead. It seems to me that not a single human died anywhere in the course of this entire new Matrix movie!

I haven't seen any commentary remarking on these facts, but they seem pretty significant to me, and can't have been anything but a deliberate directorial choice.
    Last edited by Montmorency; 02-03-2022 at 01:01.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Saw Munich 1938 the other week - solid movie, gives a good impending danger feel of what happened.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

The new Top Gun movie is surprisingly excellent. Would highly recommend everyone go see it in theaters, in IMAX if possible.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Watched the new Batman the other day. It was alright, but I didn't get the hype. In general, I appreciated the more realistic perspective (DC's obsession with extraterrestrial threats has become tiresome), but the story had quite a few holes, in my opinion. The last part also felt unnecessary and anticlimactic. Overall, I didn't regret watching it, but I was a bit disappointed, because my expectations were apparently too high.

On the other hand, that Hitler comedy was amazing. Funny, but without making you feel sympathetic towards Hitler, which is the most difficult trap for such movies. I found it much more enjoyable than Jojo Rabbit, whose start was great, but whose second part became too melodramatic and predictable.

Nobody (2021)

What is this, The Equalizer?

6/10
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Watched Top Gun Maverick about two weeks ago, wonderful movie. The usual Hollywood cheese sometimes but great cinematography.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Member thankful for this post:

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Watched Top Gun Maverick about two weeks ago, wonderful movie. The usual Hollywood cheese sometimes but great cinematography.
    Frothy good fun. And less military realism challenged than the original (note, the original did not set a difficult bar for that).
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Members thankful for this post (2):

If you havent watched the new Prey movie, I would highly recommend. Definitely revitalizes the whole Predator franchise.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Going to add a +1 recommendation for The Menu. A really delightful thriller/dark comedy film.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Page 114 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1464104110111112113114