Page 3 of 114 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review Thread

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Default Re: Movie Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_guy
    PS : Simon, what was your favorite scene / part of the movie ?
    I think the recreation of the Munich hostage taking at the beginning was hard to beat. It just felt so authentic - the horror, the chaos, the absurdity, the bravery, the terror, the futility... It was very depressing.

Afterwards, I read an account of the botched German "rescue" at the airport and it made me despair. Five police were supposed to be hidden on the plane, but they were not trained and decided the job was not worth it, so just walked out. When the terrorists found an empty plane (no pilots) they knew it was a setup. The only "rescuers" were five snipers too far away and without night-vision equipment, one of whom could not fire because his position was wrong. The gun fight lasted a whole hour before the terrorists killed all the hostages. Backup armoured cars to storm the helicopters did not get there before then because they got stuck in traffic. Afterwards, when they found the bodies of the machine-gunned hostages in one helicopter, one (or all? I forget) had somehow gotten lose of his ropes - so maybe they could have survived had the rescue attempt been half decent.

I just watched Domino (2005), an action/thriller based on the life of Domino Harvey. I thought it was very good, but you do have to pay close attention so that you don't get lost in the somewhat complicated plot that evolves. There are a lot of flashbacks, and what you see is sometimes not what happened, but what Domino thought happened at the time. I liked the kinetic camera work and quick cutting. I didn't think it was too much because the lifestyle was on the edge much of the time. It has a strong cast and the acting is good. It's nice to see Mickey Rourke coming back and doing good acting again. Keira Knightley seemed fine, and I liked the way she approached this role. The real Domino Harvey was on the set quite often and collaborated on the movie. Also, the music was well matched to the scenes, and there are a lot of songs used. There is a positive message of redemption in the movie as well. Unfortunately, the real Domino Harvey never achieved that redemption, and she died last year at the age of 36.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Watched Dogville yesterday, best movie I've seen in years. Watch it !

Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

A History of Violence (2005) is a crime/drama/thriller masterfully done by David Cronenberg. The acting is very good from all involved, and the movie makes good use of our collective consciousness about criminal types. It's an indicment of violence not in the sense that violence isn't needed to solve some situations, but that violence often sets up some future situation where once again violence is required. There is also another theme covered in the dramatic part of the movie, but I don't want to give it away. The sex sceens are not gratuitous, and convey the changing nature of the relationship between the two main characters. The movie is more interesting if you don't know the plot before you see it.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    Watched Dogville yesterday, best movie I've seen in years. Watch it !

Yay to dogville! I LOVE the ending 'shoot the children first and make the mother watch, I owe her that' This movie is just nasty, everything that is good turns foul, unbearable to watch but impossible to forget!

ps: You will probably like 'Breaking the waves' and 'Dancer in the Dark' as well, same director. Arrogant and pretentious, but great cinema nonetheless. These movies should come with tissues, be warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    ps: You will probably like 'Breaking the waves' and 'Dancer in the Dark' as well, same director. Arrogant and pretentious, but great cinema nonetheless. These movies should come with tissues, be warned.
    I hated dancer in the dark, it tried to hard to make me cry and didn't succed one bit...

Dogville is over the top, but it somehow manages to pull it off. My girlfriend who hates violent movies was laughing at the carnage at the end (well, except for when they shot the baby).

I hated dancer in the dark, it tried to hard to make me cry and didn't succed one bit...
    Ya it was a bit too forced, but I am a total wuss and easily manipulated, you should see me watch ET. I really liked it, now I won't say I like musicals because it would scare my mother, but all these industrial sounds and then the music kicking in was done very well. I am pretty sure you will like 'Breaking the waves' though, it has this great 'glad I am not you' vibe.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Appleton
    I think the recreation of the Munich hostage taking at the beginning was hard to beat. It just felt so authentic - the horror, the chaos, the absurdity, the bravery, the terror, the futility... It was very depressing.

Afterwards, I read an account of the botched German "rescue" at the airport and it made me despair. Five police were supposed to be hidden on the plane, but they were not trained and decided the job was not worth it, so just walked out. When the terrorists found an empty plane (no pilots) they knew it was a setup. The only "rescuers" were five snipers too far away and without night-vision equipment, one of whom could not fire because his position was wrong. The gun fight lasted a whole hour before the terrorists killed all the hostages. Backup armoured cars to storm the helicopters did not get there before then because they got stuck in traffic. Afterwards, when they found the bodies of the machine-gunned hostages in one helicopter, one (or all? I forget) had somehow gotten lose of his ropes - so maybe they could have survived had the rescue attempt been half decent.
    Yes that was indeed very well done, intense , but very well done.

Though I have another view on the matter - beware the following contains spoilers !

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    In my opinion the best part was when the group of main characters were in Athens in the supposed Safe house and got surprised by the Palestinians - who had no idea who the people they met actually were.
    Especially the conversation between the two heads of the groups was very well done.
    It showed that they actually liked and respected each other, for the sole reason that they had no idea who they were and what they believed in.
    It was later made very clear that had they known each others true identities it would have ended in that safehouse...
    the part with the radio was also interesting, it illustrated that two totally different people - opposing forces if you will - can come to an agreement if they just take the time to find the middle way.
    All of the above parts were done in a superb way.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

definitely yay for Dogville !
    Therapy helps, but screaming obscenities is cheaper.

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

I just finished "Manon de Sources", which is the sequal to "Jean-de Florette". It is a French movie, and I thought it was great. The first one is awsome, but you'll be surprised a lot in the second one.

I recomend it to anyone, french or not. It's terrific!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderofmacedon
    I just finished "Manon de Sources", which is the sequal to "Jean-de Florette". It is a French movie, and I thought it was great. The first one is awsome, but you'll be surprised a lot in the second one.

Two of the best movies ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzz3D
    The action sequences in The Transporter 2 (2005) are a lot less believable than they were in The Transporter (2002). If you are ok with way over-the-top action sequences and fight sequences that approach Jackie Chan movies at times, the film is a lot of fun. Kate Nauta is great as the bikini clad, female assassin sporting twin machineguns. Unfortunatly, she sustained a serious leg injury doing her final fight scene with Jason Statham, and that sequence had to be cut short.
    Just watched it. It didn't quite hold together like the first one and there were a few action scenes that were downright silly. Loved the girl though. It was still better than most of the other action movies that get made.

Also watched Blade Runner. Not impressed. Good performances but I don't think the "big" questions that were raised were that big at all. On the whole it was just kinda boring.

Saw The Machinist yesterday. The first 45min are great, intense as anything that has come out in the last few years and then some (possibly more so than Saw), but then you are just given too many clues and can figure out virtually anything that will happen in the next hour. Still, I didn't feel that hour was a waste of my time. Good movie.

I also saw Apocalypse Now Redux, my first time seeing Apocalypse Now. Wow, great movie, I especially liked the first hour or so, the parts with the helicopters are fantastic. It is much, much better than anything war/action movies have come up with in the last few years. And the scene were they investigate that Vietnamese river boat, terrific.
    It's not without it's flaws however, the scene at the french plantation is just boring. The scenes with the playmates were quite weird (are they sex slaves to a battalion gone insane, and do they actually want to stay there ?) and the ending is too drawn out imho. It won't replace Full Metal Jacket as my favourite Vietnam movie, but it's at least damn close to its level.

I just saw V for Vendetta last night. Truly excellent. I loved this movie. Even though I am pretty conservative, it was an excellent "stick it to the man" kind of movie. I would recommend it for everyone to see.

Retired Member matteus the inbred's Avatar

yes, watched these in French GCSE class, loved them both, beautiful and sensitive films with really nice camerawork.
    the Gerard Depardieu version of Cyrano de Bergerac and La Reine Margot are two of my other favourite French films.
    Support Your Local Pirate

Ahaaaaaar

I also saw Apocalypse Now Redux, my first time seeing Apocalypse Now. Wow, great movie, I especially liked the first hour or so, the parts with the helicopters are fantastic. It is much, much better than anything war/action movies have come up with in the last few years. And the scene were they investigate that Vietnamese river boat, terrific.
    It's not without it's flaws however, the scene at the french plantation is just boring. The scenes with the playmates were quite weird (are they sex slaves to a battalion gone insane, and do they actually want to stay there ?) and the ending is too drawn out imho. It won't replace Full Metal Jacket as my favourite Vietnam movie, but it's at least damn close to its level.
    Unfortunately, Apocalypse Now Redux isn't as good as the original Apocalypse Now (1979). Most of the extra scenes are unnecessary and disrupt the flow of the movie, and alter your perception of Capt Willard's (Martin Sheen) character. Hopefully, the original theatrical version will be remastered and re-released. I really made a mistake when I bought but didn't watch the redux version before selling my DVD original version.

I saw Apocalypse Now in the theater in 1979, and the scenes of the bridge attack at night and the helecopter attack in the morning were very impressive. The river expedition and ending were good as well incorportating a lot of suspense and uncertainty, but I never did agree with the underlying premise. At the time, I wasn't familiar with Joseph Conrad's novel Heart of Darkness published in 1902. I am now, and I still don't agree with the premise.

The Exorcist (1973) is another example of a movie that is inferior in the recut version. It's "The version you've never seen.", but I'd call it "The version you don't want to see.".

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro
    Also watched Blade Runner. Not impressed. Good performances but I don't think the "big" questions that were raised were that big at all. On the whole it was just kinda boring.
    Apparently, Blade Runner (1982) is a movie where the director's cut is better than the original release. Ridley Scott does a good job when he makes a director's cut of his movies. The original, which I've never seen, has a voiceover similar to those 1940's detective/crime movies and the ending is different. The movie does have a film noir style to it with flawed main characters, and a lot of dark scenes. Harrison Ford is a detective trying to recapture escaped replicants, and he distains the social environment and oppressive urban setting where he lives. This is all typical of the 1940s/1950s style which are not action movies, but do have some short intense action sequences. The rest is suspense and solving the mystery using clues. So this movie is a mixed gendre film. Most sci-fi films show cities as providing immaculate living conditions as a result of technological achievement, but this movie shows urban blight as a result of advanced technology which is an interesting though. I thought the big question about the social status of artifically created humans was interesting. This theme has been covered in sci-fi movies and sci-fi TV programs many times.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 03-27-2006 at 19:41.

With spring around the corner(I smelled it yesterday yay), I watched a korean movie 'In the mood for love'. Fantastic. Every shot is like a painting, the music is fantastic and the actors are great. One of the greatest love stories ever made.

Should be compulsory.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzz3D
    Apparently, Blade Runner (1982) is a movie where the director's cut is better than the original release. Ridley Scott does a good job when he makes a director's cut of his movies. The original, which I've never seen, has a voiceover similar to those 1940's detective/crime movies and the ending is different. The movie does have a film noir style to it with flawed main characters, and a lot of dark scenes. Harrison Ford is a detective trying to recapture escaped replicants, and he distains the social environment and oppressive urban setting where he lives. This is all typical of the 1940s/1950s style which are not action movies, but do have some short intense action sequences. The rest is suspense and solving the mystery using clues. So this movie is a mixed gendre film. Most sci-fi films show cities as providing immaculate living conditions as a result of technological achievement, but this movie shows urban blight as a result of advanced technology which is an interesting though. I thought the big question about the social status of artifically created humans was interesting. This theme has been covered in sci-fi movies and sci-fi TV programs many times.
    The director's cut is the version I saw. I'm not really a sci-fi fan though.

Does anyone know when this movie is coming out?

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Priceless Sasaki!!!

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Slain by mafia-implanted bombs Member littlelostboy's Avatar

LOL! That was funny!

I watched the "Constant Garderner" last nite. It was a pretty good movie, very intriguing. The acting by Ralph Fiennes and Racheal Weiz was excellent, not to mention all the other casts too. The plot was believable and exciting, flashbacks were excellently connected to the storyline and were not too confusing. The storyline was a bit old though, the typical the-wife-got-killed-in-an-accident-and-so-husband-investigate-and-found-out-that-there-is-a-more-shocking-truth-behind -the-accident-and-that-big-coporates-companies-are-after-the-husband-too.
    Yet the movie was very thoughtful, makes you think about how the world F--ks up Africa.
    The drawback? At some point, the movie can get boring, the storyline seems to lag and some characters seems two-dimensonal. Also, that stupid jerky camera gives me lots of headache after watching it.

8.5/10.
    My name is Asinius Commodus, son of the Eagle.

Fellow of the Seven Legendary Writers (but got kicked out)

KoW: Erm, LLB, Asinus means 'ass' in Latin
    LLB: Really? All the better for a story of how an ass became a great leader is alwasy a bestseller.

Slain by mafia-implanted bombs Member littlelostboy's Avatar

Another movie I've watched is "Ring of the Nibelungs". This is a Nordic poem that J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" is based on. Apparently they have made a movie based on the poem.
    As it is a fantasy movie, you will see the typical action, swashbuckling heroes and heroines, beautiful princesses, evil dragons, dwarves and lords and mighty princes.
    But surprise, surprise, apparently this movie is not just your typical fare. In fact, this movie is very well-acted out, the plot and the storyline were strong and are very straight-foward. Kristanna Loken who acted as the Queen of Iceland managed to pull off a very believable act as a Queen who has tremendous strenght and yet also as a Queen whose heart has been broken by the Dragonslayer.
    The Dragonslayer is the main character. Instead of your typical charming hero who everyone like, this character is no 2-D person. When I watched the movie, I actually disliked him because he was such an arrogant, cocky, overconfident bastard. Yes, that's right. The hero is a real person who is overcame by the greed of the Nibelungs' gold hoard and the special ring and end up with the curse of the hoard on him and everyone he loves and end up paying for it.
    An interesting movie worth for any LOTR's fan, this movie will help you gain more insight on how LOTR was concieved.
    In some places, the movie has a different name, one of them is "Dark Kingdom: The Dragon King another is "The Ring" and another is "The Sword of Xanten"

8/10.
    My name is Asinius Commodus, son of the Eagle.

Fellow of the Seven Legendary Writers (but got kicked out)

KoW: Erm, LLB, Asinus means 'ass' in Latin
    LLB: Really? All the better for a story of how an ass became a great leader is alwasy a bestseller.

I'm watching Ghandi in my geography class. I've already seen it, but I still love it. It's a great movie about a great man.

It's even more special being half Indian

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

I'm watching Ghandi in my geography class. I've already seen it, but I still love it. It's a great movie about a great man.
    Yes, I think it is an excellent movie too. I love the dialogue between a pompous British general and Ghandhi that goes something like this:

General: "Do you expect us to simply walk out of India?"

Ghandhi: "Yes, ultimately that is exactly what you will do."

I just watched a bootlegged version (straight from Asia!) of the new Tony Jaa movie, and it is pure, unadulterated badass coupled with an environmentalist. Watch it now.

I just watched the Der Untergang on DVD. I recommended this movie.The movie is about the last days of Adolf Hitler before the Soviets took Berlin in 1945. Its cruel and Dark movie, like in my opinion it should be.The German actors make great Job and the battle effects are as good as for example Saving Private Ryan.5 Stars from Kage.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Watched Hostel. Bah. Sadistic crap. Not recommended at all unless you are a deeply troubled person.

Retired Member matteus the inbred's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoreBag
    I just watched a bootlegged version (straight from Asia!) of the new Tony Jaa movie, and it is pure, unadulterated badass coupled with an environmentalist. Watch it now.
    I just bought Ong-Bak, loved it, although some of the stuff that guy does to people made me wince...
    Will have to get hold of the new one now!
    Support Your Local Pirate

Ahaaaaaar

Just watched SWAT. I personally thought it was a good movie, but I've heard mixed reviews.

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Yesterday evening I watched Hotel Rwanda.

An excellent and very moving film with an outstanding performance of Don Cheadle as the Hutu hotel manager who helped to save >1000 lives during the genocide of Rwanda.

Highly recommended

The movie leaves you with a terrible sense of shame...

One of my all-time favourites. Each time I see it the performance of Ben Kingsley absolutely amazes me

I watched Worlds Fastest Indianyesterday in a bit of a hangover. I think it was very good penformance from Anthony Hopkins.Not an very epic movie but very good and warm movie about one man and his dream.4 Skulls from Kage!
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Page 3 of 114 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast