Page 51 of 114 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 3400

Thread: Movie Review Thread

Devout worshipper of Bilious Member miotas's Avatar

Default Re: Movie Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    I now pronounce you chuck and larry
    the first half hours is good, but then it goes downhill. but i will say the BEST part of that movie was when jessica biel stripped to her bra and panties.
    8/10 only because of jessica stripping.
    Blatant clone of a 2004 aussie movie Strange Bedfellows. The worst thing not being the obvious clone, because hollywood always does crappy remakes, no the worst thing is that they are just downright rude and don't even have the good grace to admit that they've cut and paste the plot. Unlike Chuck and Larry, Strange Bedfellows is actually a very funny and interesting movie and I would recomend it to anyone who likes a good laugh.

- Four Horsemen of the Presence

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miotas View Post
    Blatant clone of a 2004 aussie movie Strange Bedfellows. The worst thing not being the obvious clone, because hollywood always does crappy remakes, no the worst thing is that they are just downright rude and don't even have the good grace to admit that they've cut and paste the plot. Unlike Chuck and Larry, Strange Bedfellows is actually a very funny and interesting movie and I would recomend it to anyone who likes a good laugh.
    does it have Jessica biel in it too?
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Devout worshipper of Bilious Member miotas's Avatar

Ah no. We prefer actors who can act, comedy that's funny, and we don't appreciate blantant rip-offs. Look familiar? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxzBYzONL2I

EDIT
    Sandler getting very nervous and stammering alot when asked about the cut and paste plot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MgG3vGcQiQ&NR=1
    Last edited by miotas; 08-11-2009 at 15:20.

- Four Horsemen of the Presence

Boy in the Stripped Pajamas

Excellent Movie, yet horribly sad... It really does show the cruelty of the Nazi Germany.

Epic Movie
    more like Epic Fail Movie.

3/10
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    Boy in the Stripped Pajamas

Excellent Movie, yet horribly sad... It really does show the cruelty of the Nazi Germany.
    Is that the movie with the boy in de deserted ghetto? The name rings a bell and I have been looking for that movie forever.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Evolution: 8/10

This movie makes me
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

This place called Mars... do you know of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinseikhaan View Post
    Evolution: 8/10

This movie makes me
    Lol fun movie!

Battlestar Galactica Razor:
    Like a really loooong episode...
    7/10
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

Watchmen, it's....... dunno what to make of it. It's certainly stylish I think I'm gonna pick up te comic book to see what all the fuzz is about.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Breach
    A great spy movie about an FBI employee tasked to spy as an undercover clerk on a senior agent. I won't tell you more than that as it would spoil a mid-early twist in the plot. It's based on a true story that happened fairly recently.

9/10

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

"Good day, pusscake"

Gran Torino. Awesome film.
    Last edited by naut; 08-20-2009 at 16:05.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Der Untergang

One of the best movies ever made and I mean it! Bruno Ganz (Adolf Hitler) deserves every praise and more for his monumental character composition. Ulrich Matthes (Joseph Göbbels) should be credited too. Cinematographically the film is a tad better than perfect.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Treevenge

This is one of the most disturbing shorts I've ever seen, I won't even link it. It was screened at Sundance and won some awards. Recommended for more mature audiences who enjoy dark humor, this movie is definitely not for kids though.

And don't send me any hate mail if you were offended by this masterpiece.

WTF/10

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

The band's visit
    (Bikur Ha-Tizmoret)

This is a film about an Egyptian police orchestra wich is invited to perform in Israel. Because of some trouble on the way, they're forced to spend the night in a small Israeli town somewhere in the desert but fortunately a few Israeli's offer them a place to stay.

It's an interesting premise and the acting is good enough but there's one flaw: it's rather slow paced.

6.5/10

District 9. Good, impressive visuals.
    Last edited by naut; 08-23-2009 at 10:35.
    #Hillary4prism

District 9 (2009) is a sci-fi film, but not a good one. It's highly derivative of other films which wouldn't be so bad if the cinematography, acting, plot, characters and music were of decent quality which they are not. The science is also implausible and illogical. This studio has a lot of nerve releasing this film at a full price admission. It's more like a direct to DVD release. My friend, who I went with to see this headache inducing movie, walked out half way through it. I stayed to see if it would get better, and it didn't. Not Recommended unless all you are looking for is an excessively gory action film with many scenes shot with a very jerky camera.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Ponyo. (Animated) Done by the same guy who did Spirited Away.

Spirited Away was a masterpiece, but Ponyo, according to my kids, was cute, but was geared towards five-year olds. Not in the same league as Swept Away at all.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Quote Originally Posted by Decker View Post
    Don't Mess With the Zohan - Stupid funny with some good jokes here and there that had me laughing pretty good. Not to mention the supporting "Palestinian" actress was really hot!
    6/10 <- Tho I wouldn't watch it again ... well maybe to just see that actress again ;)
    Just saw it. Pretty bad movie. Unbearable in parts. But oh my is Emmanuelle Chriqui hawt!
    #Hillary4prism

GI Joe--great
    Inglourious Basterds--great

ok so I suck at movie reviews. Well if you liked the trailers for these two you'll like the movie.

Inglorious Basterds
    an overall good movie but i felt detached from it due to some scenes were too laughable. but overall it was good.
    8/10
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Inglorious Bastards: 9/10.

Was a bit dull for awhile, and I didn't care for some of the minor characters. However, some truly great scenes, Pitt was excellent, and the German commander played his role brilliantly.

Also, the end was fairly unexpected, for which I congratulate Tarantino on his creativity.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Defiance, excellent raw war-movie. You will not like the nazi's.

This place called Mars... do you know of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Just saw it. Pretty bad movie. Unbearable in parts. But oh my is Emmanuelle Chriqui hawt!
    Almost unbearable but that girl was hawt indeed And thanks for the name!
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

Zwartboek

Thanks to Fragony et al who had recommended it years ago. It has been in my archive since then but I hadn't had the chance to watch it until my friend, at whose I was a guest yesternight, happened to have it ready.

Blessed is our generation. Carise van Houten was born in 1976. We never gets old my precious, we dont!

Che

Finished part two yesterday. Che is a decent biopic of one of the most influential figures in history. However, the movie is way too long, but Benicio Del Toro's stunning performance somehow makes it less boring. I think a movie about the icon of pop culture could've been more exciting and emotional.

8/10 for a biopic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre View Post

Blessed is our generation. Carise van Houten was born in 1976. We never gets old my precious, we dont!
    Want her number?

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Want her number?
    Knowing you Frag. You aren't joking.
    #Hillary4prism

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Want her number?
    Sometime!

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Knowing you Frag. You aren't joking.
    Well I am not joking I know her

edit: and no
    Last edited by Fragony; 09-05-2009 at 09:32.

Well, to alleviate the massive boredom of the interim summer between High School and University, I've been putting the Netflix "watch instantly" feature to good use. I've been going through their collection of Foreign films. I've started trying to watch one a day. I find it really fun to watch films from countries that aren't the US, particularly in foreign languages! So, what the hey? I'll give you my thoughts on the films I've seen thus far.

Jodhaa Akbar

I gotta be honest, this is the first Bollywood movie I've ever seen, so I have no idea what to compare it to. That said, overall I liked it. The story was compelling. The CGI work was quite impressive (certainly more impressive than what I was expecting). The action scenes were great! Three very cool Kung-fu movie-esque dueling scenes! Plus I always have a sort of wow factor when I'm watching a film in a language I've never heard before.

Now, for some of my gripes. I'm really not sure whether to put this in the like or gripes category, but it was LONG. 3 1/2 hours long. I like that it's long because I like long movies, especially adaptations of novels or history. I feel they can be more specific, which is always a good thing for me. The thing that annoyed me was the random song and dance sequences. I counted about 2 or 3 extended song and dance sequences which ranged from 15-25 minutes in length. And maybe 6 or 7 shorter ones (usually just singing) that lasted about 5 mins each. I have no problem with musicals. I love musicals, but these were totally random (note: I have no idea if this kind of thing is the norm for Bollywood), and just went on and on.

One thing I found entertaining was that, because the story revolves around a Muslim marrying a Hindi, the filmmakers really pushed a sort of religious tolerance. I didn't say it was necessarily a good thing. I just said it was entertaining how shamelessly they seemed to weave it into the story line.

What I really liked, however, was how well they interwove the two elements of the story. The first is the Male lead: Akbar the Great's mission to unify Rajputana. This arc consists of a few battles, with a lot of Politics, that I found interesting. The second is the romance between Akbar and Jodhaa, and this follows a slightly cliché kind of story where the girl finds him repulsive at first, but then slowly realizes that there is more to the man than meets the eye, and she soon finds herself falling for him against her will (cue eye rolling). I thought they played the two story arcs really well. Usually when you have two arcs like that, you tend to get one being decidedly better than the other, to the extent that one arc bores you, and you spend the whole time wanting to get back to the other. I didn't think this film had that. I found both elements to the story equally engaging, and both arcs came to a (in my mind) satisfying conclusion.

Overall I really liked it, though it did have it's faults. I think I'd give it a 7.5/10 or maybe an 8/10. Although, if you do watch it, but don't know the actual history, I highly recommend that you don't look up the real story, unless you like being disappointed. Hehe.

I'll do some other write-ups tomorrow if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by Owen Glyndwr; 09-09-2009 at 19:15.
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:
    The Aeduic War: A Casse Mini AAR
    The Kings of Land's End: A Lusitani AAR

Page 51 of 114 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast