Page 1 of 114 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review Thread

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

Default Movie Review Thread

Post your movie reviews on any movie you like/dislike. I'll start off with the movie Underworld.

I watched Underworld over the weekend on TBS and I thought it was absolutely great. I think some parts were edited (more gory parts), which is a bit disappointing, but hey, it was still great.

Beckinsale in the tight leather suit helped to make this movie better! ;)

Something about the plot makes me love it and craving more. Fortunetly I saw Underworld right after the theater release of Underworld: Evolution (new one).

It's rated R, but I'll find a way in!

Now you guys think of a movie you've seen rescently and tell us about it.

Default Re: Movie Review Thread

Last Friday AMC put on two old-old-old school horror films, The Mummy(1932) and The Invisible Man(1933). I watched The Invisible Man straight through, and I found it to be compelling and well-done for it's time, although not particularly scary. The acting is from a different era, resembling stage acting more than modern method acting. That means that the characters actually can have civil, polite, informative conversations with each other instead of constantly being at odds. The story is fairly simple, a man turned invisible by science is driven mad by his potion and must be stopped.

The Good: Solid, old-style acting, interesting story and fairly good-quality special effects.

The Bad: Occasionally, I felt that the film tried to show off the special effects too much.

The Unforgivables: The Innkeeper's wife.
    "Never in physical action had I discovered the chilling satisfaction of words. Never in words had I experienced the hot darkness of action. Somewhere there must be a higher principle which reconciles art and action. That principle, it occurred to me, was death." -Yukio Mishima

boy of DESTINY Senior Member Big_John's Avatar

i saw the speilberg/tom cruise remake of war of the world's the other day. it is terrible.

i hope you found this review helpful.
    now i'm here, and history is vindicated.

Anyone see 'Goodnight and Goodluck'? it's about E. Murrah duking it out with McCathy.

GoreBag: Oh, Prole, you're a nerd's wet dream.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

I saw 'the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy' this weekend, it was pretty awful, not nearly as good as the books, don't see it.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Just saw Wdding Crashers on DVD, and though it was funny, nice and involved something I didn't know could be turned into an organized system; but due to some cliches in plot I have to say it's better to just rent it.
    "Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite." - John Kenneth Galbraith

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big_John
    i saw the speilberg/tom cruise remake of war of the world's the other day. it is terrible.

i hope you found this review helpful.
    Hmmm I was pleasantly surprised. It is a rather calm movie for it's type, and the machines were rather creepy. Some very cool scenes, I loved the burning train, and the cityview with 3 of them bastards zapping everything was a sight to behold.

I saw Underworld 2 recently.

It was mediocre. I wouldn't go so far as to say it sucked though.

They spent way too little time fighting Lycans. Supposedly the movie is based on Vampire vs. Lycans wars, yet for 95% of the movie there are no Lycans in it. If I'm remembering correctly they only have Lycans at the very start and very end of the movie. Major disappointment there. And the silly end of some of the characters was even more disappointing.

At the start of the movie it was set in medieval times. That was the best scene in the whole movie. They should have left the whole movie in that time instead of fast forwarding to the much more boring and Lycan-free future.

I'd give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

I saw Boyz In the Hood again last night and it was just as compelling as when I saw it way back when it first came out. It's not flawless - it's sentimental, unsubtle, with dodgy Black Consciousness type rhetoric. But it hits home emotionally with the force of a two-handed hammer.

I don't think I've seen a violent death better represented - the horror, the screaming of love ones, the mess, the waste, the guilt. If that is not how violent death is, it is how it should be - something monstrous and unconscionable.

Laurence Fishburne is great as the role model dad ("Who diss?"), but the emotional heart of the film for me is the doomed character played by IceCube (or is it IceT? I forget). Something about his character just appeals to me as rather noble. As a young fat kid trying to fight the much older bullies. Later, standing arms stretched out like Jesus inviting a would-be driveby killing. He never seems nasty or thuggish, and is often understanding and responsible in his own rough way. When his grief-stricken mother screams blame at him - unjustly - for his brother's death, it is far, far more moving than the equivalent scenes between Faramir and Denethor in ROTK. So he is damned by his own mother and goes out to avenge his brother, quietly understanding the consequences for him and why his friend who is escaping the ghetto should not join him on this path to hell. He may be part of the problem, but to me, he's also part lovable kid and part tragic hero.

5 stars out of 5 from me.

Home Alone:

I watched this movie on TBS (again) last night and I have to say it's very good. It's a classic movie, and I really liked some of the stunts that killed pulled!

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Did anyone see Domino? What did you think?
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    Hmmm I was pleasantly surprised. It is a rather calm movie for it's type, and the machines were rather creepy. Some very cool scenes, I loved the burning train, and the cityview with 3 of them bastards zapping everything was a sight to behold.
    well, the failings i think have as much to do with the outdated source material as the production. but the machines were kind of cool.. nothing special, but certainly not lame. but, for me, that was outweighed by the stupidity of the story (e.g. the aliens not having even the faintest concept of microbiology, the buried machines never having been discovered by the various forms of subterranean exploration developed over the hundreds of years) and the so-called "acting". i mean, tom cruise.. ouch. and the little girl, wow! i guess if you like hearing a little girl screem at the top of her lungs for an hour, then this is the movie.

there are numerous other problems for me, but those are a couple of the glaring ones.

but i hate a lot of movies.

It's certainly no masterpiece but I expected a microwave-meal a la Indepence day, with expectations that low, don't blame me for kinda liking it :)

Now something different, I saw 'Big Fish' yesterday, now that is a great movie. Tim Burton has to be the coolest american filmmaker at the moment, when it comes to fantasy movies, nobody does it better.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Just saw Munich and would highly recommend it. I guess you have to be interested in politics or current affairs to get a lot out of it, but it had a lot more action, characterisation and drama in it than I was expecting. Critics who have damned it for not being exciting enough must have watched too much hyperactive wham-bam conventional Hollywood products. The action is very well done but then ever since seeing the garage lot shoot-out in Sugarland Express, I have been convinced Spielberg is a genius at depicting violence as real and terrifying. The opening depiction of the Munich Olympic kidnapping and its subsequent portrayal through flash-backs are gripping and horrifying. The film has an excellent acting ensemble, with some intriguing characters (if anyone can tell me who or what Louis and his father were, I'd be indebted). Personally, I found it politically neutral, raising but not necessarily answering the question about whether assasinations of terrorist suspects are justified. All sides are depicted as human - the Palestinians assassinated often appear mature, urbane and humane. While some of the Israelis come to doubt their mission, what the film hammers home is the intrinsically awful nature of taking a life, rather than a wider political agenda.

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Movie Review Thread

Batman Begins. Quite good overall, but I found the pre-batman period to be boring and too much fantasy-like.
    3.5/5

Fight Club. Totally over-awesome-woot movie, despite all the silly critics calling it a fascist movie. Heck, if you're a movie critic, you're at least supposed to understand the movie before making random claims.
    4.90/5

I saw The Hot Spot yesterday, boring 'film noire' attempt with a rather predicatble storyline and paper thin characters, but it features a naked Jennifer Connely, so it wasn't a total waste of my time.

there are numerous other problems for me, but those are a couple of the glaring ones.
    I thought it lacked a story. Quite boring, I enjoyed Independence day more

but i hate a lot of movies.
    They just make a lot of bad ones these days.
    Last edited by doc_bean; 02-19-2006 at 20:13.

Saw Kinsey the other day, very good for a biography, suffers from the traditional issues though (what exactly is historically accurate ? And it drags towards the ending). Overall very good movie, I recommend it to anyone interested in sex (research)

oh yeah, i saw Grizzly Man on dvd the other day. awesome. if you are into documentaries at all, check it out. it's a very powerful portrait of an interesting and (imo) rather disturbed man. beautiful filmmaking by herzog.

I just watched The Rookie and I thought it was pretty good. After some standardized testing for our state, our teacher put on the movie, and I thought it to be quite good.

OO

3 out of 5 skulls...

The last movie I saw was Waiting. It was funny the first time around...the kind of funny that gets better if there's someone with a two-beer buzz in the room. I hear that it's funnier if you work in a restaurant, as well.

Before that, I'd watched Jackie Chan's The Young Master, Kung Fu Zombie, Mean Guns, Showdown in Little Tokyo, The Predator, and Ong-Bak (again). My taste in movies rarely changes.

I have rescently re-watched a movie by the name of "Lagan". Don't go out trying to find it at Hollywood video or Blockbuster as it's probably not there.

This is a movie made in India about a group of farmers who have to play and beat an english group of rich men at a game of cricket.

I really enjoyed this movie, even with all the breaking out in song and dance, as some of the songs were quite good.

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

I just watched "Weatherman" with Nicolas Caige (sp?). And I'm going to have to say it was a terrible movie. Don't even go watch it, it was a dud for the popular actor.

-ZainDustin

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Boondock Saints makes me want to be Irish

A+ BEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME. VENGANCE UPON EVILDOERS MAY GOD BE WITH YOU. SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 03-01-2006 at 04:27.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

I think that Big Momma's House 2 brings alot of important issues to the table.

Bought a box with oldies from Roman Polanski, mostly Polish. Most of his early work is very wtf, but one movie (repulsion) is way ahead of it's time, a 'reqieum for a dream' from the sixties is the best way to describe it. Very unnerving movie, schizophrenia must very much suck. It is amazing how Polanski has made a normal appartment an extremily hostile place, everything just screams creepy. The movie being shot in black and white doesn't help to lighten the mood.

Highly recommended.
    Last edited by Fragony; 03-01-2006 at 14:35.

Saw Jarhead yesterday, an occasionally funny and possibly quite truthful account of the life of a marine guarding oilfields. It's a boring life. I think it's both the strength and the weakness of this movie that the tedium is shared with the viewer.

Recommended, but not highly (unless you want to join the military).

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    Bought a box with oldies from Roman Polanski, mostly Polish. Most of his early work is very wtf, but one movie (repulsion) is way ahead of it's time, a 'reqieum for a dream' from the sixties is the best way to describe it. Very unnerving movie, schizophrenia must very much suck. It is amazing how Polanski has made a normal appartment an extremily hostile place, everything just screams creepy. The movie being shot in black and white doesn't help to lighten the mood.

Highly recommended.
    Yep, great flick. Wasn't it called The Apartment?

Just watched March of the Penguins. Bought it for the kids but I thought it was amazing. Well worth 90 minutes of your life. The story is great, the photography is great, and the penguins are incredible! What they go through is beyond belief.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Retired Member matteus the inbred's Avatar

[QUOTE=doc_bean]I saw The Hot Spot yesterday, boring 'film noire' attempt with a rather predicatble storyline and paper thin characters, but it features a naked Jennifer Connely, so it wasn't a total waste of my time. [QUOTE]

i rather liked that film, and not just for an eye-popping appearance from the lovely Miss C.
    Red Rock West with Nic Cage and Lara Flynn Boyle is probably a better modern noir drifter film though.

last film i watched...When We Were Kings, the story of the Rumble in the Jungle, great film, hugely inspiring and evocative, it manages to be positive about basically everyone, except President Mobutu of Zaire and Don King (but then, that would be difficult...). It's really all about Ali though. Great soundtrack too (I am...somebody! I...am...somebody!)
    Support Your Local Pirate

Ahaaaaaar

I started watching my Sherlock Holmes boxed set last night. Basil Rothwell is the man.

Quote Originally Posted by GoreBag
    I started watching my Sherlock Holmes boxed set last night. Basil Rothwell is the man.
    Rathbone dear chap, Rathbone. Elementary old boy.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Page 1 of 114 123451151101 ... LastLast