Thread: Shields?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Shields?

Do they use shields in WoT. Dont they just use 2 handed swords?

Default Re: Shields?

There was a lengthy discussion on this. Some military units are described as having shields in the books (such as the Legion of the Dragon) but a lot of armies aren't described as having shields or not. I think the conclusion was that a lot of the armies in the mod will have shields, apart from the likes of the Aiel who'll have bucklers instead.

Of course, that was a while backs and the situation could be different now.

Note in the books that massive missile bombardments from archers and crossbowmen seem to be relatively rare, so the use for infantry to have shields does seem to be reduced.
    A Game of Thrones: Total War - A mod for Medieval 2

Didn't the mercs defending Camelyn have shields?

I'm sure shields were used, its just that none of the sword weilding main characters use them (bladeforms needing 2 hands and all), same with warders methinks, and a lot of the other troop fellers use 2 handed polearm type weapons.

Child of the Light Member GreyHuntr's Avatar

As a student of medieval martial arts, I find that Rj's combinations of weapons and armor make very little sense. Two handed swords were not in very wide use until after the invention of plate armor to replace the shield. I don't think I've seen a closed-face helm or anything more sophisticated than a simple breastplate mentioned anywhere in the books. The Seanchan's overlapping armor could be an exception, but that would not explain the weapons found in Rand's continent.
    "The Children have authority where there is Light. Where the Light is not, we bring it!"

Quote Originally Posted by GreyHuntr
    As a student of medieval martial arts, I find that Rj's combinations of weapons and armor make very little sense. Two handed swords were not in very wide use until after the invention of plate armor to replace the shield. I don't think I've seen a closed-face helm or anything more sophisticated than a simple breastplate mentioned anywhere in the books. The Seanchan's overlapping armor could be an exception, but that would not explain the weapons found in Rand's continent.

its a fantasy book, its not our world. the author is entitled to artistic license

Unhappy Re: Shields?

The Aiel and the Seanchan certainly use them, but it seems that in the books they have fallen out of use in the westlands. Originally I got the feeling that this was because RJ just didn't like the whole sword + shield dynamic, and preferred to describe Japanese-style duels involving single two-handed longswords. I don't know if that's actually the case, but it's certainly my initial impression.

Another thing to bear in mind is the whole question of "chronological setting" (ie what time period the world most closely resembles) I had an argument about this with a friend of mine just the other day. Personally I think it's a mistake to assume that just because it's a fantasy book it must be "medieval" While some parts of the world, such as the Borderlands have a definite "middle ages" vibe to their military, the more southern lands don't really feel that way, to me. The armies seem to be made up mostly of cavalry and pikemen, with few missile troops. The way cavalry, for example, are described (armour is only a breastplate and helmet, no shield, armed with a sword or lance) is evocative to me of the 16th or 17th century in Europe, not the Hundred Years War or something.

I get the impression that shields aren't widely used because battles are thought of as primarily cavalry engagements, with infantry mostly pikes and other polearms as against archers or crossbowmen. IIRC it actually states in the Guide that Mat's extensive use of crossbowmen in the Band is unusual for that reason, and more resembles warfare during Artur Hawkwing's day, in which armies were larger and considered more sophisticated. The Guide also has a little box thing in which it describes the range of weapons and armour that are used, and there is again no mention of shields.

Antagonist
    "Society is going down the drain, and it's everybody's fault but ours."

Arthurian Total War Developer

Child of the Light Member GreyHuntr's Avatar

I'm fully aware that it is a fantasy setting, and that it doesn't take place in medieval times. Speculation is that it takes place far in the future. Which makes sense, as the society has a lot of modern values such as equality of women, and nationalism. My main problem with it is that there doesn't seem to be any logical reason for the weapons to be the way they are, there is no natural progression. Weapons and armor progress along with each other as new ways are formed to counter them, and in a world where nobody wears any significant protection on the arms or face, a two handed sword is not a very good idea. The swords used in Rand's era are the same used 3000 years earlier, there should have been at least SOME alteration in their design during that period.
    "The Children have authority where there is Light. Where the Light is not, we bring it!"