Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else a little worried by the interviews?!

Default Anyone else a little worried by the interviews?!

I have not heard one word about gameplay improvements. All I hear is how beautiful the game is now. I am starting to get pretty worried after reading a couple of those with not one word about the AI. Should I be worried or do the Aussies have it all under control?

Default Re: Anyone else a little worried by the interviews?!

They've said they're working hard on both the battle and campaign AI. They've said, IIRC, that they're working to streamline the interface. They've said there'll be more detail and therefore more tactical options on the battlemap. I mean, what would you like them to say?

The only thing I read that bothered me this time around was the phrase "finishing moves". Have they gone right overboard with the animation? I hope not.

Anyhow, we've only had a couple of preliminary interviews so far, I'm sure we'll be learning more about the game as time goes on, and then we'll have a better idea where things are headed.

What they've said regarding "finishing moves" is that if soldier 1 knocks soldier 2 off his feet soldier 1 will plunge his sword/ spear/ axe whatever into soldier 2 to finish him off. This is a perfectly realistic addition and is a big improvement on the hilarious phenomenon in Rome where you would see soldier 1 knocking soldier 2 onto his arse, only for soldier 1 stand there while soldier 2 gets back on his feet and stabs soldier 1 in the gut.

Default Sv: Re: Anyone else a little worried by the interviews?!

I think the majority of the interviews is actually about new features, like the princesses, assassin videos, the new city/castle system, battle system, The new world conquests, the new merchant unit and mud and blood.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Marketing talk. Gotta get the low-brow end of potential customers interested, you know.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Sardonic Antipodean Member Trithemius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman
    Marketing talk. Gotta get the low-brow end of potential customers interested, you know.
    It might be true, but these people pay the same price that you and I pay for the game - even if they don't spend half their waking hours arguing with people about the military history of Sweden or the equipment of lanciarii on these forums. ;)
    Trithemius
    "Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

Quote Originally Posted by Furious Mental
    What they've said regarding "finishing moves" is that if soldier 1 knocks soldier 2 off his feet soldier 1 will plunge his sword/ spear/ axe whatever into soldier 2 to finish him off. This is a perfectly realistic addition and is a big improvement on the hilarious phenomenon in Rome where you would see soldier 1 knocking soldier 2 onto his arse, only for soldier 1 stand there while soldier 2 gets back on his feet and stabs soldier 1 in the gut.
    So every knockdown is now a kill? Is MTW2 going to have the hilarious phenomenon where a soldier is invulnerable while he's performing his finishing move?

I want to hear if the AI has stopped making frontal charges it can't win.

I want to hear if archers still prefer to melee rather than shoot.

I want to hear if the AI army fights as a whole instead of piecemeal.

I want to hear if the AI will stop chasing cavalry with slow infantry units that have no chance of catching the cavalry.

I want to know if skirmishers can be used as they were historically out in front of your melee infantry instead of having to be kept behind it.

I want to hear if the AI will protect the flanks of its army.

I want to hear if the AI general has stopped attacking units he shouldn't.

I want to hear if the AI can now manage fatigue properly.

I want ot hear if AI units that engage in city streets will stop the men in the unit who are not actually fighting from constantly running and getting exhauted.

I want to know if the fatigue indicator will be put back on the unit icons.

I want to hear if the main AI army will wait for its reinforcements before attacking.

I want to hear if you are going to have time during battle to coordinate most of your individual units.

I want to know if using a tactical reserve during the battle is going to be viable.

I want to hear how much time is going to be allowed for flanking in hammer and anvil type tactics.

I want to hear how much time is being allowed for a unit to come to the aid of a fighting unit in trouble.

I want to hear if "streamlined interface" means less controllable modes for units.

I want to hear if the delay to orders has been removed.

I want to hear if a speed setting below "normal speed" is going to be offered.

I want to know if attacker and defender will have separate denari settings.

I want to know if the mouseover info in the army purchase screen is going to be fixed so that it displays the correct info for weapon and armor upgrades.

I want to know if any individual units are going to be intentionally overpowered to balance factions in the SP campaign to the detriment of MP gameplay.

I want to know if the men will suddenly go into slow motion when they fight the way they currently do in RTW/BI. This reduces the number of combat cycles which increases the uncertainty in the combat results. We don't need more uncertainty in combat results. The amount of uncertainty in STW with it's 60 man units was about right.

I want to know if battlefield upgrades will be removed from MP. They are detrimental to the gameplay, and were removed in MTW/VI.

I want to know if there will be a 60 man unit size rather than 40 then jumping to 80 for the next setting.

I want to know if artillery is going to stop being so unrealistically accurate.

I want to know if castle battles are actually going to work instead of being buggy as they are in RTW/BI.

I want to know if all the important strategic parameters are going to be saved and reinstated in a save/load cycle.

I want to know if seasonal weather conditions are going to be important in planning attacks as they once were in this series.

I want to hear if the bias favoring the AI in auto-resolve battles has been removed on normal difficulty.

I want to know if you can play historical battles and get anything close to historical results when the historical tactics of that battle are employed.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Quote Originally Posted by Satyr
    I have not heard one word about gameplay improvements. All I hear is how beautiful the game is now. I am starting to get pretty worried after reading a couple of those with not one word about the AI. Should I be worried or do the Aussies have it all under control?
    Yes, they have it all under control and won't let it escape to the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzz3D
    So every knockdown is now a kill? Is MTW2 going to have the hilarious phenomenon where a soldier is invulnerable while he's performing his finishing move?

I want to hear if the AI has stopped making frontal charges it can't win.

I want to hear if archers still prefer to melee rather than shoot.

I want to hear if the AI army fights as a whole instead of piecemeal.

I want to hear if the AI will stop chasing cavalry with slow infantry units that have no chance of catching the cavalry.

I want to know if skirmishers can be used as they were historically out in front of your melee infantry instead of having to be kept behind it.

I want to hear if the AI will protect the flanks of its army.

I want to hear if the AI general has stopped attacking units he shouldn't.

I want to hear if the AI can now manage fatigue properly.

I want ot hear if AI units that engage in city streets will stop the men in the unit who are not actually fighting from constantly running and getting exhauted.

I want to know if the fatigue indicator will be put back on the unit icons.

I want to hear if the main AI army will wait for its reinforcements before attacking.

I want to hear if you are going to have time during battle to coordinate most of your individual units.

I want to know if using a tactical reserve during the battle is going to be viable.

I want to hear how much time is going to be allowed for flanking in hammer and anvil type tactics.

I want to hear how much time is being allowed for a unit to come to the aid of a fighting unit in trouble.

I want to hear if "streamlined interface" means less controllable modes for units.

I want to hear if the delay to orders has been removed.

I want to hear if a speed setting below "normal speed" is going to be offered.

I want to know if attacker and defender will have separate denari settings.

I want to know if the mouseover info in the army purchase screen is going to be fixed so that it displays the correct info for weapon and armor upgrades.

I want to know if any individual units are going to be intentionally overpowered to balance factions in the SP campaign to the detriment of MP gameplay.

I want to know if the men will suddenly go into slow motion when they fight the way they currently do in RTW/BI. This reduces the number of combat cycles which increases the uncertainty in the combat results. We don't need more uncertainty in combat results. The amount of uncertainty in STW with it's 60 man units was about right.

I want to know if battlefield upgrades will be removed from MP. They are detrimental to the gameplay, and were removed in MTW/VI.

I want to know if there will be a 60 man unit size rather than 40 then jumping to 80 for the next setting.

I want to know if artillery is going to stop being so unrealistically accurate.

I want to know if castle battles are actually going to work instead of being buggy as they are in RTW/BI.

I want to know if all the important strategic parameters are going to be saved and reinstated in a save/load cycle.

I want to know if seasonal weather conditions are going to be important in planning attacks as they once were in this series.

I want to hear if the bias favoring the AI in auto-resolve battles has been removed on normal difficulty.

I want to know if you can play historical battles and get anything close to historical results when the historical tactics of that battle are employed.
    Do you honestly expect answers to all these questions? I can not remember CA ever giving such detailed information so why would I expect it this time?

With regards to the AI and reinforcements, I agree entirely, wouldn't it be great to see the main force delay until they arrive. The thing is it never has, STW saw units entering from various places on the map AFTER the main force was routing. In MTW it was worse, the reinforcements all appeared from the same point so you routed the main army and camped on the edge of the map slaughtering all the units that tried to enter the map

..........Orda

Quote Originally Posted by Trithemius
    It might be true, but these people pay the same price that you and I pay for the game - even if they don't spend half their waking hours arguing with people about the military history of Sweden or the equipment of lanciarii on these forums. ;)
    Don't you think it would be easy to satisfy both lots, though, with a few simple checkboxes in the options? The kiddies who want something like AoE with more men on the screen can simply turn off all the "realism" options and they have their 20 minutes of fun while the hardcore military history dorks can tick yes to all these options and have proper feudal recruitment, a detailed economy, and no ahistorical units.

It really is something I think CA could have realised by now....they can still sell a lot of copies while not "selling out" or their game being considered "boring".

I want to know when CA are going to put Puzz on their design team!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GFX707
    Don't you think it would be easy to satisfy both lots, though, with a few simple checkboxes in the options? The kiddies who want something like AoE with more men on the screen can simply turn off all the "realism" options and they have their 20 minutes of fun while the hardcore military history dorks can tick yes to all these options and have proper feudal recruitment, a detailed economy, and no ahistorical units.

It really is something I think CA could have realised by now....they can still sell a lot of copies while not "selling out" or their game being considered "boring".
    Yeah, I totally agree with that and for the life of me I can't understand why CA aren't giving the player more options.

I mean, heck, if they're so worried about making the game too "hard" for the kiddies, just make the default mode the RTS one and then tuck most or all of the realism options into a configuration file where the hardcore gamers can go and tweak them. That way there is no chance of the poor little kiddies getting all confused with the different choices.
    Last edited by screwtype; 02-24-2006 at 00:19.

I think Puzz's questions are valid. I also think any real Q&A session with a developer would include those questions and their answers.

While unfortunately uncommon, such questions are appropriate to ask, and if the game design has progressed far enough allong where the devs actually know the answers, they should provide them. If the game has not progressed that far yet, then the devs should be honest and say 'We haven't made up our minds about that yet.'
    Fac et Spera

What they've said regarding "finishing moves" is that if soldier 1 knocks soldier 2 off his feet soldier 1 will plunge his sword/ spear/ axe whatever into soldier 2 to finish him off.
    No, actually, the Ca spokesman made mention of the attacker "spinning around" before delivering the finishing blow.

I don't think too many soldiers fighting for their lives would stop to execute a pirouette before delivering the coup de gras, do you?

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

I've gotta admit, I havent heard much to get my hopes up about since they announced the game. I loved MTW/VI and was looking forward to it with updated graphics and a new strat map, but since then I havent heard much that hasnt sounded disappointing. Well, here's hoping.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

In case you missed the finishing moves thread...

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=61341

I really hope finishing moves are no including... it wasn't like knights spent days with trainers working on "finishing moves" or anything.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

I'd definitely like to hear more details on improvements to the gameplay as well, but I'm encouraged that they mentioned they do study player forums and incorporate ideas they run into there. I know any time at all they've spent here has meant getting bombarded by 'graphics are all well and good, but we want gameplay first!' along with plenty of great suggestions and legitimate worries. At least they're aware of what we want, and I'm sure they're doing their best to create a fantastic game.

Here's hoping the stuff we aren't hearing is still happening behind the scenes, and that we'll get the game we so badly want. And here's hoping our modding teams get plenty of tools and options to tweak the final product as necessary. I'm not going to let myself worry too much until they've finished it and I hear the reviews of my much-respected fellows here at the .org.

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Sardonic Antipodean Member Trithemius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GFX707

I do think that it would be pretty easy. However, the developers might not have the time or the money, and the producers might not be willing to give it to them. There might also be technical considerations that I know nothing about that make it harder.

I'd really like for there to be more customisation options - just like the ones you mention; I am not sure if it will happen simple because of the economics of game sales.
    Trithemius
    "Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orda Khan
    Do you honestly expect answers to all these questions?
    ..........Orda
    Of course he is not. He hits the nerve, though, with his questions that are rather sarcastic and somewhat bitter/filled with disappointment. I feel exactly the same, and these questions are far more interesting to me than the number of polygons the soldiers are comprised of.

We’ll get the answers to those when we get the game.

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puzz3D

On this one point, this is a hardware limitation... If the game decides that your hardware can't handle 3000+ units on the field at once it will delay reinforcement until sufficient causalties have been sustained but one or both sides to allow the machine to handle them.

You can disable this feature being going into your Preference.txt and setting Unlimited_Troops to True (or something like that, I can't remember the exact setting right now), but if you have a battle between multiple full stacks be prepared for a side show...

To be honest when I stopped expecting historical reinactments from CA and started looking for a fun, historical based game I start appricating the TW series a lot more. It's "Hollywood History"...

I do however agree with the various observations about the battlefield AI and is "limitations"...

I am however optimistic as I have seen the improvements that BI and the latest patch has made with the Battlefield AI now appearing to be remotely competent (not particularly challenging, but less prone to outright stupidity)...
    Last edited by Bob the Insane; 02-24-2006 at 12:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Insane
    On this one point, this is a hardware limitation... If the game decides that your hardware can't handle 3000+ units on the field at once it will delay reinforcement until sufficient causalties have been sustained but one or both sides to allow the machine to handle them.

You can disable this feature being going into your Preference.txt and setting Unlimited_Troops to True (or something like that, I can't remember the exact setting right now), but if you have a battle between multiple full stacks be prepared for a side show...

To be honest when I stopped expecting historical reinactments from CA and started looking for a fun, historical based game I start appricating the TW series a lot more. It's "Hollywood History"...

I do however agree with the various observations about the battlefield AI and is "limitations"...

I am however optimistic as I have seen the improvements that BI and the latest patch has made with the Battlefield AI now appearing to be remotely competent (not particularly challenging, but less prone to outright stupidity)...
    Ot, You should see what Darth's acomplished with His latest mod v6.8:)

I would gladly give up on improved graphics for a vastly improved AI. The eye candy is all well and good, but it sounds to me that they are almost at the point of going overboard on battlefield graphics.
    I want more of a challenge in a fight then visual enjoyment.
    I see that I am starting to sound like Puzz " I want..."
    There is some frustration there but I don't want to vent.

As far a improving a challenge.
    Haven't tried multiplayers on line, I feel that 56k modem wouldn't be much fun. cheap I know!
    Then, Sir, we will give them the bayonet!
    -T.J. Jackson

The finishing move is killing the bloke on the ground! That's perfectly realistic. Besides the spinning I really don't see what the problem is. For some reason though this seems to have become some kind of icon for attacks on CA, as though people actually prefer the robot soldiers of RTW.
    Last edited by econ21; 02-25-2006 at 13:09.

Besides the spinning I really don't see what the problem is.
    That's like saying, besides the corruption this politician is really honest.

No-one has a problem with "finishing moves" per se. The concern is whether or not these moves are going to be exaggerated to the point of absurdity. Talk of soldiers "spinning around" like rap dancers before delivering the final blow is clearly a cause for concern.

Okay now I must admit this is impressive

I really hope though that their putting as much effort into all aspects of the game. I'm beginning to think that the RTW 3D map will need a major overhaul to match the battle maps in quality (not that I don't think it needs a overhaul anyway). Smurfland just won't cut it. Nothing short of a map of Europe with proper DEM topographic relief maps will suffice if they want to maintain an even level of graphical quality throughout the game.

Where is that screen shot from?

Where is that screen shot from?
    From a Spanish site I think.

Thanks alot

In all things, look to history Member Pontifex Rex's Avatar

I think Puzz3D will be disappointed in many of his questions about the 'skill' of the AI. IMO, graphics would seem to be a far more easily solved problem and add to the visual quality of the game, but getting a computer to be able to think and react with anything like near-human abilities is still beyond the tech level we have today. When you really think about it, how many factors pop into your mind when deciding whether to send two cavaltry or three on the left? To pin the entire enemy line or just the center and left? To chase off skirmishers before they can attack or simply stand there and take their shots? Within a fraction of a second we formualte a plan, react to the opposition moves, change our mind, change it back again,...and on and on. Simply put, we are not limited by mathematical algorithims.

It all seems blatantly simple to us, but I would bet the developers are more hamstrung by limitations of technology than we would like to think. There are also the time and cost considerations to be dealt with and just how much of each can be put into any *problem*.

Just an opinion. Cheers.
    Pontifex Rex

Wow, new screenshots! even though I think, the castle entrance is a little bit exaggerated :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast