Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Medieval: Total Realism Mod Team's Update Thread

Default Re: New Official Medieval: Total Realism

Any possibility that one of your concept artists have played around with the image for the Kataphraktoi units?

If so, can we get a little taste? Man, I think I'm looking forward to MTW2 partially because of the units available to the Byzantine empire. C'mon the concept of the kataphraktoi are irresistable - heavily armor the rider and horse - not only making them as indestructible as a medieval unit can be but make them so heavy that when they impact an enemy unit they might as well have been hit by a battering ram.

One unit that I hope somehow doesn't make the cut are the Naptha throwers whom I'm never seen used effectively to kill the enemy without also blowing up friendly units.
    "The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."

-- Genghis Khan

MTR: AOA project ###### (temp) Member kataphraktoi's Avatar

Tonight Im posting two versions of the Klibanophori.

I also have sketches of other Byzantines Heavies.
    Retired from games altogether!!

Feudalism TOtal War, non-active member and supporter. Long Live Orthodox Christianity!

Two versions of the Klibanophori. Enjoy. These are only concepts, revision is always possible.

Version A was Wraithdt's idea, he gave me a CHinese Burn before I agreed to do version A.

In reply to Denster, this is a concept in an old sketchbook of a possible Kataphraktoi. This wears a padded coat underneath his mail lorica. Even though its labelled Thematic, it should be Tagmatic

Last edited by kataphraktoi; 03-11-2006 at 14:01.

Feudalism TOtal War, non-active member and supporter. Long Live Orthodox Christianity!

Fabulous works. Thanks for all the effort you put in this. I haven't played RTR yet, because I don't how to install it (Too many links..), but I surely will try harder too after these works in here.

I was wondering, do you acutally paint those by your hands using a pencil?
    "Cry, the beloved country, for the unborn child that is the inheritor of our fear. Let him not love the earth too deeply. Let him not laugh too gladly when the water runs through his fingers, nor stand too silent when the setting sun makes red the veld with fire. Let him not be moved when the birds of his land are singing, nor give too much of his heart to a mountain or a valley. For fear will rob him of all if he gives too much."

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton.

pencil. Wraithdt uses both pencil and tablet...lucky guy him....

Wow, you are not human 0-o (Very nice work, I can't draw a table with a pencil :$ )
    "Cry, the beloved country, for the unborn child that is the inheritor of our fear. Let him not love the earth too deeply. Let him not laugh too gladly when the water runs through his fingers, nor stand too silent when the setting sun makes red the veld with fire. Let him not be moved when the birds of his land are singing, nor give too much of his heart to a mountain or a valley. For fear will rob him of all if he gives too much."

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton.

wow keep up the good artwork
    "Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the
    battlefield will think hard before starting a war."
    -Otto Von Bismarck

Thanks for the heads up, we got a reserve of more concepts for next week...

Keep ur eyes peeled and open.

But if I'm in a generous mood, I could post concepts sooner than expected.

I was at the Museum of Natural History yesterday and they had some armor and weaponry on display from the Medieval period that I would like to have taken pictures and shared but unfortunately they're most rusted and severely worn.

Man, I know all of this preliminary work is necessary to get a head start on this game but damnit I'm getting antsy waiting for MTW2 to be done...

I can almost smell the burning pitch of torches, feel the blood soaked ground beneath my feet, hear the screams of men fighting for their lives on the field, taste the fear of my enemies and see the ambitions of men on sword edges and the point of spears.

This is total war... sound the horns and unleash Hell.
    "The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."

-- Genghis Khan

Do you have a list of factions compiled yet? I am compiling some Mongol unit sketches that you may want to consider if you plan to include them.

BTW, what is this 'tablet' you mention? I am an old pencil or pen guy myself

......Orda

No, we haven't compiled factions yet.

But we are certain Mongols will be in it, we can't have a medieval mod without them! It just won't be total war without them! lol!

Ask wraithdt about the tablet. He can explain better.

Futtuwa Infantry

Quote Originally Posted by kataphraktoi
    pencil. Wraithdt uses both pencil and tablet...lucky guy him....
    And I bet its a sharp pencil too! very nice work
    Then, Sir, we will give them the bayonet!
    -T.J. Jackson

Time to know a bit about Wraithdt:
    Concepts he's responsible for:
    Crusaders
    Arabs
    Turks (joint)

Concepts done so far:
    Saracen Infantry
    Ghulam cavalry
    Varangian Guard
    Futuwwa Infantry
    Templar Knight

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

Now:
    Canada, modeller and concept artist

Wraithdt, Madtao and I are now taking requests for concepts people want to see posted. Its going to be a monthly thing because both of us have lives as well (lol) and its in addition to the concepts we are currently working on.

So here are the conditions for requesting a concept:

1) You may not spam us with requests!! one is enough!
    2) You must provide high quality information about the unit so that we know you're no pulling our leg - peasant with nun-chukas
    3) The information that is relevant for the requested units i) historical background ii) weapons iii) armour iv) proper names of unit
    4) Make it concise and not too long. Our eyes can only take so much and no essays!!!!

Other than that, we're looking forward to your requests.

Wraithdt, Madtao and I will pick one request each from the request that provides the best info. And remember, its a concept, it may or may not be in the final mod.
    Last edited by kataphraktoi; 03-20-2006 at 02:39.

I want to see a Teutonic Knight on a horse, the weapon can be either a sword or lance. for the historical evidance and other info i found this site http://historymedren.about.com/gi/dy...2Fopsahl1.html
    Last edited by dracosean; 03-20-2006 at 04:21.
    "Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the
    battlefield will think hard before starting a war."
    -Otto Von Bismarck

Err....

Information has to be posted. Links are fine, but guys like us just can't go through every link people post when they request a concept.

So, it would be nice if the information was concised and presented in the format we requested.

[img=https://img205.imageshack.us/img205/8800/turcopole2jp.th.jpg]

Turcopole

Horse Archers from mixed ethnic pedigrees. Its a title used by Crusaders and Byzantines.

Concept Art Unit:
    Tagmatic Cavalryman of the Excubitores School

This Excubitores cavalryman belongs to the second most senior Tagmatic school after the senior Scholae. They are mainly elite heavy cavalry units formed to guard the EMperor and also to form a professional and instant nuclues of any Byzantine army.

This Excubitores cavalry has access to the finest equipment in the Imperial arsenal seeing as he is directly equipped by the central government and moreover, expected to stay alive to guard the Emperor!

He wears a high quality lamellar cuirass which extends just over the waist and is lined decorated Pteruges with gold studs. Underneath is a thick padded Bambakion worn under the lamellar cuirass. Underneath it is also a mail lorica to add another layer of protection. His helmet betrays a strong Central Asian influence and is decorated with psuedo-Arabic patterns. His legs and arms are protected by the standard panoply of greaves known as the Manikelia or Cheiropsella for the arms and Podopsella or Chalkotouba for the legs.

As a shield, he carries the common kite shaped shield type with a bronze shield boss in the middle.

Tagmatic units like him were well lavished by the Emperor with silk garments and such. As illustrated, he is well attired with a highly decorated patterned pair of pants underneath a gilded tunic. Over his shoulder is a cape lined with pearl/gold studs.

John Haldon's opinion is that the composite horse archer/lancer is something of a myth in later Byzantine armies. However, he indicates that it is a myth in regards to the idea that is it what Byzantine cavalrymen were generally like. It is more likely that particular units were able to be doubly-armed, especially, elite units. Even then, they are not trained to be composite archer/lancers.

This particular Excubitore was either recruited from several sources:
    - Exceptionally brave men
    - Sons of nobles/aristocrats

http://www.geocities.com/weirdguynextdoor/excubit.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/weirdguynex...man_Knight.jpg

Last concept for awhile, we're taking a break.

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

I hope your modellers have got the talent to do that drawing justice. It makes me wonder even more why CA thinks that it needs to come up with fantasy designs to make the units look good.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Beautiful drawings, kataphraktoi.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duke John
    I hope your modellers have got the talent to do that drawing justice. It makes me wonder even more why CA thinks that it needs to come up with fantasy designs to make the units look good.

Those that were (historically, not in RTW or similar), are more than cool enough. As I have said, I can understand why certain units were included, despite effectively they sholdn't really have been in RTW. But that doesn't mean I don't want the rest of the units to be good representations.

Kata, those drawings are absolutely beautiful. Nice work on horse and life of the drawings.
    Let me guess, that first Norman Knight is taken from Medieval Italian Armies from Osprey? He sure looks like one of them.
    The wierd guy next door is my favourite. He is cool mix of east and west to an extent. Perfect blend of his geographical position.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Lol, the Norman knight is not mine, its Wraithdt's, anything that looks render is absolutely his.

Next time I'LL put the name of the artist next to the concept lol. My bad.

No one is interested in pitching forward ideas for what they want to see as the next concept..hmm oh well.

Theres been something on my mind for awhile...

Drawing concepts is fun and all that, but when it comes to creating the Medieval period in all its glory, we need modellers, concept artists and programmers!!

We don't just want talented fans of the Medieval period who have skills, but people who are proactive and passionate in giving an input into the modding process of discussion and debate. After all, Medieval: Total Realism doesn't just belong to the team, but the fans and the fans who are part of the MTR team too!

PM

Kataphraktoi,
    Here are a couple of Mongol Heavy Cavalryman versions if you are interested

........Orda

Senior Member Senior Member wraithdt's Avatar

Thanks Orda.....they're are great. Did you draw these yourself?

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

GAH!

It is when I look at drawing like this that I realize that I have never had a talent for drawing... AT ALL!
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Quote Originally Posted by wraithdt
    Thanks Orda.....they're are great. Did you draw these yourself?
    Glad you like them, I will post some Mongol Light Cav when I get around to finishing them. I always wanted to illustrate for a living but it was not to be, sadly

.......Orda

It was a trap, after all. Member DukeofSerbia's Avatar

@ kataphraktoi

Those are soldiers of king and emperor Stefan Dushan (1331-1355). The picture (fresco) is from monastery Milesheva. Question is are they imperial guard or not, as they have armor and large shield but only spear as a waepon.

This is only partly. I just found the whole fresco in color (brown-white soldiers below angel)

http://www.uzice.net/photo/MilesevaM...WhiteAngel.jpg
    Watching
    EURO 2008 & Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Waiting for: Wimbledon 2008.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast