Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post 0.73 ctds here

Default Post 0.73 ctds here

Hope you don't mind me making this topic but I got my first one with 0.73.

It was as Getai. Scripting was on. I was assaulting the town to the East of the starting town (By the Coast). I had the second son, who was the faction heir (First son killed on first turn) and I had 3 units of the phalanx troops, and 3 archers. I had a spy open the gate and i attacked first turn. Then as it was loading the battle it ctded.

Am gunna try it again with scripting off.

On a tree-covered mountain in Anniston, Alabama, USA

Default Re: Post 0.73 ctds here

The background script being on or off should have no effect on battle-loading CTDs.

Ah! the Generals! they are numerous, but not good for much (especially if they're Languorous)!
    -- Aristophanes, if he played EB

Just had a CTD as Makedon after fighting Epeiros. Was besieging Ambrakia (there were a few units left inside, mostly Illyrian Levies and Taxeis Hoplitai, but had a general in it too) and Pyrrhos (on his own) tried to lift the siege. I'd fought another battle against them normally earlier on with no problems, and I was facing no new units (so definately not an anim/model/skin problem).

The only thing I did differently was click "End Battle" straight away rather than "Continue." I'll see if I can upload the savegame if I get the CTD again...

i have not received any CTDs so far, but i do recieve an error message.
    i have played EB for about four turns, everything is ok, but when i exited the game, i received a message which said "DATABASE_TABLE error found:unrecognised record id romain medium cavalry requested", so what does this mean?
    Last edited by Kierkegaard; 03-05-2006 at 16:53.

There are still some files that refer to vanilla units that not longer exist in EB.
    The default historic and multiplayer battles for example, or maybe an old replay.

I always get this error message after I exited the game when I was before in the historic battles selection menue.

Everyone should keep in mind one of the only CTDs that we know of that occurs in conjunction with battles occurs when you are fighting an enemy with reinforcements. Sometimes it CTDs upon leaving the battle. Sometimes it doesn't though.

My suggestion is that before you fight any enemy with reinforcements, you definitely save the game. And I wouldn't fight any big epic ones against enemies with reinforcements either *unless* I was going to be ok with autoresolving it the next time *if* it did CTD upon exiting to the battlemap.

Fired up a game as the Koinon Hellenon. On the first turn, I took all my starting forces at Sparte and attacked Corinth. I just maintained the seige, and the Mak's sallied out. When I go to fight the battle, it finished loading but then CTD's with the following message:

"Generic Error:
    Failed to find texture 'data/models_building/textures/##standard_ebmacedonia.tga'."
    "Fear is the enemy of logic. There is no more debilitating, crushing, self-defeating, sickening thing in the world--to an individual or to a nation."
    --Frank Sinatra

Quote Originally Posted by Mujalumbo
    Fired up a game as the Koinon Hellenon. On the first turn, I took all my starting forces at Sparte and attacked Corinth. I just maintained the seige, and the Mak's sallied out. When I go to fight the battle, it finished loading but then CTD's with the following message:

"Generic Error:
    Failed to find texture 'data/models_building/textures/##standard_ebmacedonia.tga'."
    Uh-oh!! Good grief. Thanks for catching this quickly Mujalumbo. I'll get on this immediately.

edit1: It's working fine on my build in the same scenario. Something must have gotten screwed in transit to submission to the patch. I'll keep on this now.

edit2: I don't have the patch the installer places - but I think I know what happened. The banners probably got placed in this file instead: models_buildings/textures/ as an error instead of models_building/textures/

edit3: The correct fix is now on the main forum. It's easier to use that one. Thanks again should go out to Mujalumbo for catching this quickly and letting us get a solution out for everyone as fast as we could!
    Last edited by Teleklos Archelaou; 03-05-2006 at 19:21.

EB fanboy Member The_White_Knight's Avatar

I can confirm this.

edit3: As an immediate fix, going into the data file and opening up descr_building_battle.txt, and inserting these vanilla entries *in place* of the new ones will solve the problem:
    ...or copy the textures folder in the typoed 'models_buildings' folder to the 'models_building' folder?

Or won't this work because of packing-thingies?
    Last edited by The_White_Knight; 03-05-2006 at 18:43.

EBII Council Senior Member Kull's Avatar

I tested this solution and it works:

MOVE the textures folder from the models_buildings folder to the models_building folder
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

I've posted an alternate fix (your second suggestion, also made on the internal board by Kull) on the main forum. gah....

EB fanboy Member The_White_Knight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    I've posted an alternate fix (your second suggestion, also made on the internal board by Kull) on the main forum. gah....
    These things happen.

I'm still blown away by this patch.

CTD attacking Nikomedia with Pontus. Clean install of RTW 1.2, EB 072 and EB 073 no other mods on top of it. Battle loading screen crashes half-way through loading.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

I just took all my startup armies of Pontos to attack Nikomedia. The first time I was intercepted by the eleutheroi army nearby and had a river battle. I quit it and tried again. This time I got my armies there before he moved up - and so I attacked the city and have a proper battle. No issues. dunno what happened with yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    I just took all my startup armies of Pontos to attack Nikomedia. The first time I was intercepted by the eleutheroi army nearby and had a river battle. I quit it and tried again. This time I got my armies there before he moved up - and so I attacked the city and have a proper battle. No issues. dunno what happened with yours.
    Wierdest thing, my crash to desktop from this seems to only happen when I run the game on high priority, but it never had this problem with 0.72. AH well, the difference between running it on high and not is negligible, so no problem.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Quote Originally Posted by cunctator
    There are still some files that refer to vanilla units that not longer exist in EB.
    The default historic and multiplayer battles for example, or maybe an old replay.

I always get this error message after I exited the game when I was before in the historic battles selection menue.
    ok, i have gotten it, so it will not cause CTD, right?

Just got two CTDs on Bactria and Pontos (can't give you the exact scenario as I haven't been saving etc...just playing about) I'll try the priority thing as I never had a single CTD with .72

I keep getting a CTD whenever I have more then one battle per turn but I've been playing on high priortiy, gonna try it on normal priority and see if that does the trick.
    "This is a-radi-hi-iiic-ulous"-Zeek

ive tried playing 4 campaigns so far. and all of them have ended in the first 5 years because of the "AI move/merge army bug". 4 macedonian campaigns, and 1 roman campaign

have you guys gotten any closer as to finding out the actual cause of this problem?

its not playable like this

exhibit A: winter, 271 B.C. crashes on Ptolemy turn. restart game, check "follow AI" , toggle fow. easy enough, I'll just move rebel commander "Haxamanish" to arabia, seeing as soon as he is attacked by "Captain Euphranor" and repells the attackers, in their retreat the game CTD's. start up the game again, end turn, now with Haxamanish in Arabia, Captain Euphranor makes 1 small move outside Jerusalem and the AI switches to moving another piece. "great" I think, but nope, the AI's not done with Captain Euphranor yet. Captain Euphranor now moves north a little, just to the border of the province, to meet a seleucid army. whether he was out of movement points, or initiating an attack i don't know. he stops and the game CTD's. start the game up again , end turn , Captain Euphranor makes his first move outside Jerusalem, then starts moving their other guys. I then use the move_character cheat to move Captain Euphranor to greater macedonia, before the AI is finished moving the other pieces and can get back to Captain Euphranor. *phew* "that should fix it" I mumble to myself. nope, the very next piece they move, a queued 2 turn attack on libya, at the end of their movement points it CTD's.

I tried not playing on high priority and that seemed to do the trick in reguards to the CTD battles, at least for a little while.

I was playing as the Sweboz and attacked the settlement to the north east of their starting province, the island one, I can't remembed the damned name of it even though I saw it like...twelve seconds ago. Well I attacked it, and it loaded fine and everything, but in the middle of the battle when the main melee in the middle of the settlement began, it CTD, no error message or nothing, just a CTD.

My army had three Fraemamen, two generals, two Riderharjoz, and one unit of archers. The enemy army had one unit of Riderharjoz, I think two Fraemamen, one unit of those Swordsbondsmen, and one unit of those Germanic skirmisher guys, the "youthlings" or whatever they're called.

No idea what caused this, I'll retry the battle and see if it recurs

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Got a CTD when checking out the Sweboz. Second turn I attacked the town in Denmark with the closest forces, crashed during battle.

And a slight bug, the rebels all seem to have white banners on the battlemap.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Interesting that it would happen to both of us while playing the Sweboz during siege battles, could it be some sort of texture or skeleton bug?

It seems that there is only navy port in Salamis, and this is NOT creating port graphics on camp map this may be a source of CTD during Ptolemies turn.

How to fix:
    1 (during campain) If you could swich control to Ptolemies, do it and go to Salamis, remove ship being built and start building trade port.

2 (before start) go to Data\World\maps\campain\imperial_campain and open file descr_strat.
    Move to the entry "numidia - Ptolemaioi" below you will find lists of buildings in cities.
    Move to one named Kypros. Find entry type navy_port navial_bay and replace it with type port_buildings port

EB ship system destroyer and Makedonia FC

EB insanity coordinator Senior Member khelvan's Avatar

I know it sounds weird, but if anyone finds a reproduceable CTD, PLEASE go through two basic steps, no matter if they're in battle, out of battle, or what.

Turn off the background script, see if the CTD still exists. If it does, go back and use the blank traits file I describe here.

These two tests will do absolute wonders for us in helping to track down the source of CTDs.
    Cogita tute

The link to the neutered text file on the link you posted takes me to the microsoft homepage for some reason

Cogita tute

Just tried the same battle with the script turned off and largely did everything I did before, with the same result, a CTD when the battle got at it's thickest, gonna try now with the blank traits

Bearer of Vilya, Editing Slave Member LordElrond's Avatar

If you do have a battle CTD would you mind posting it in this thread as well? That will really help categorize and hunt down the causes of the battle CTDs.
    Please follow Kull's instructions at the top of the thread if you do decide to post there. Thanks.

LE
    Quote Originally Posted by khelvan
    Oh. My. God.

Tried it with the blank traits, still got the CTD, at roughly the same time when the battle was at it's thickest, don't know what else I can do to narrow this down or evade this

Yes, I expect battle CTDs will probably result from something to do with the new animations. As such noting the exact units in the battle will be important. However, ruling out scripting and traits is simply a way for us to narrow things down and not make assumptions.

But by all means do use the thread for that purpose.
    Cogita tute

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast