Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for v0.8

Default Re: Suggestions for v0.8

Well, the sarmatians will have trouble recruiting outside the steppe, and even though we will let them have a type4 govt, they can't just keep putting type4's everwhere. I don't want to see them expand outside the steppe areas too much, but being dominant inside their part of it would be nice. Armenia just pushing them around so easily almost every time isn't that believable.

I think there should be a unit with magical powers.

I also think that some Celtic factions should have female generals, preferably good looking ones.

I think there should be at least one dinosaur unit.

I think there should be more naked men units.

I think the Belgae should be in it just because the Romans were a bit warey when fighting them.

The Galatians would also be a cool faction.

There should be a faction of pirates.

There should also be sea monsters.

what about dynamic reforms?

Hi!

Anybody here know about the metropolis modification for RTR? Among other things it is a great way to show whitch cities were important, and whitch ones who weren`t. Maybe elements of something like this could be included in EB?

Comments on this?
    Last edited by Christianus; 03-21-2006 at 21:41.
    Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.
    - Σιμωνίδης ὁ Κεῖος

And again the son of Cornelius Scipio is "Fulcinius" Scipio. What do you know about the gens Fulcinia? I know something. The mother of Gaius Marius was called Fulcinia
    There something called "Roman cognomen mod" for RTR. There the son of Marcus Valerius Laevinus is for example Marcus Valerius Laevinus.
    Please explain it to me because I don't uderstant it. Why it is possible for the RTR team to do a correct roman name system and for the EB team it is impossible?

If RTR was able to make a correct roman name system (to your taste) while EB hasn't, why does it take a mod (the Roman cognomen mod) to fix it?

Probably because he doesn't realise that the Roman Cognomen mod wasn't made by the RTR team I haven't tried the mod yet, though, so I can't say how good it is...

And hell, I'm not sure if I'd like to play a game with full Roman names. Publius Cornelius Scipio Publi filius Publi nepos Aemilianus Africanus Minor Numantinus, anyone?

Edit: gawd, these smiley codes are not only obscure, but they're case sensitive...gah...

Edit 2: I just *had* to forget "Scipio" didn't I?
    Last edited by Cheexsta; 03-22-2006 at 13:22.

The problem is not in "full roman names"
    The problem is that in EB the son of Publius Cornelius Scipio is called Lucius Fulcinius Scipio

EB insanity coordinator Senior Member khelvan's Avatar

Please enlighten this ignorant person as to why that is a problem, and what exactly you want to see different.
    Cogita tute

Thank You very much Khelvan.
    I fixed it by myself
    Good bye
    Last edited by Quintus Curiatius Trigeminus; 03-22-2006 at 10:30.

I think the main problem with the names is not with EB, but more with RTW's system itself. For example, Scipio Aemilianus' (adopted) father was Publius Cornelius Scipio. If RTW was to choose the name of Scipio Snr's son, it would have probably been, as Quintus said above, something along the lines of Lucius Fulcilius Scipio - ie using "Scipio" as a last name, which I don't think it was used as in history. Or, as another example, Publius Scipio Africanus (Scipio Aemilianus' adopted grandfather) would start off as Publius Scipio, but would lose the "Scipio" as soon as he conquered Africa in EB, becoming Publius Africanus.

Damn, Roman names are hard to explain. Especially when I'm only just learning about them now...

In any case, I don't think it's overly moddable/practical to make "proper" Roman names. Can you imagine how many Publius Scipios or Porcius Catos we would see running around? Not to mention the fact that only the "last" name gets carried over to the son in RTW.

Just leave it as it is, IMHO.

I got a brainstorm today. I was thinking about Diplomats and how I usually end up building one for each important faction and sending them off to their capital to basically act as an embassador.

Would it be possible to add an ability to diplomats where they can enter a city (like a spy almost), be privy to some of the city's secrets, but also be able to talk with that faction? Almost like setting up an embassy or consulate in the city, but if war broke out, they'd be expelled and unable to re-enter unless peace was arranged.

I was considering this especially since spying is really difficult in the new version (I almost never get anything higher than 50% on my chances to spy).

Wise and Partially Handsome Member Jarardo's Avatar

1.Yes I like the female celtic leaders. And oh boy, do they like me. But seriously, that would be good. And yes, no ugly, MTW style inbred princesses please. Or would those be realistic? I hope not. Man those MTW chicks were horrid.

2.I dont know if you guys plan on making a kretian archer unit? From reading the toxoi description as Makedon I figured there would be one. But sadly, there isn't, so I ended up slaughtering all the kydonians for vengeance, I call still hear there pathetic pleas for mercy.

3. Pron.

4.The AI seems to have a hard time taking over rebel cities. I can appreciate the challenge for a human player, but I would rather fight against larger factions. I've watched the Gelai(sp?) besiege Sardika(??-the city north of pella)-for maybe 5-7 turns with between 1-3 stacks in the area, they reduced the number of rebels in the city but eventually gave up. So I slaughtered all of them too.

Okay 5. will night battles be able to be implemented with 1.5?

6. Faction called "Oblivion only comes on DVD's" that I can slaughter while it begs for mercy.

Okay 7. A "Laugh at my own wit" button.
    Last edited by Jarardo; 03-24-2006 at 02:21.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

www.EuropaBarbarorum.com

EB insanity coordinator Senior Member khelvan's Avatar

As far as I know, we can't do a mix of male and female leaders; we would have to choose one or the other. It really doesn't make practical sense to have female leaders, due to the various system limitations. It would be a complete overhaul to switch a faction over to female leaders.

Certainly, given the information Ranika has posted here before now about female leaders, I don't think they will be in our plans.

A Cretan archer unit is planned, but please don't stop slaughtering them on our account.
    Cogita tute

Have you guys considered changing the start date? I know its a realism mod, so you dont want to make the roman reforms happen before they did historically, but it seems to leave out a huge part of the game. I know I havent paid close attention to the dates of all my campaigns in RTW, but I really doubt even with Vanilla years I've ever gotten to 107bc. Its six hundred some turns isnt it? Does anyone ever get there?

It just seems like a huge part of the game thats missing, I would say even more so for people who really like to play Rome. I normally just want to fight against the roman units.

Otherwise, look at the baloons!
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

www.EuropaBarbarorum.com

We do love balloons, but trust me, there is one thing that cannot change whatsoever for this mod, and it's the start date. Diplomacy has been painstakingly researched for 272, faction start positions, family names, family positions, family ages, scripted events. Those things would take quite a while to try and move - and huge discussions over any manner of stuff related to them would be thrown out the window if a different date was selected. Also - the reforms will not be dependent on any years - they are going to be dependent upon what you do as a faction, so they could come a lot earlier possibly.

Also - the reforms will not be dependent on any years
    Well there will be minimal requirement for date, for example Polybian reforms can happen from 240BC.

Exclamation Re: Suggestions for v0.8

Remember that some of the new units represent also a kind of technical progress, that can't be infinetly accelerated. Also if you want to fight against marian or even imperial units the AI romans have to become a major power by themselve, before they get them.

Epistolary Richard is preparing a late period mod submod for EB that will start in 107 BC with marian romans.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=51956

Bartix!

YES BARTIX

www.EuropaBarbarorum.com

I have a gripe.

Can you change the depths for formations? Playing on huge, with the units usually at a depth of 4 soldiers and say, a frontage with 40 soldiers makes battles a bit unwieldy. It'll also make the phalanxes more deeper and harder to penetrate.

I'm not sure if it's by design or not, and if the formations were made on a different unit size (large, etc), but it's been something that has been bothering me. I've tried adjusting it meticuously, but I've been suffering crashes when doing so.

All in all, if it's by design then never mind me and forget about it as I don't want the formations to be adjusted just for me, so hopefully others feel the same way.

shifty157's yurts.

Visit the EB Help Required Thread

"His only addiction was to practice." - John Coltrane, describing Eric Dolphy

"and thus it cannot be performed, because one cannot perform that which does not exist." - Arnold Schönberg

Probably a lot of work but maybe have two sets of rebels. Basic pre-placed set of rebel armies and a second script-placed set depending on the player faction. Personally i quite like the slower expansion overall but some AI factions might have too much trouble with them. Only worth thinking about if there are some factions that only rarely get off the ground at all.
    It's not a map.

Quote Originally Posted by nikolai1962
    Probably a lot of work but maybe have two sets of rebels. Basic pre-placed set of rebel armies and a second script-placed set depending on the player faction. Personally i quite like the slower expansion overall but some AI factions might have too much trouble with them. Only worth thinking about if there are some factions that only rarely get off the ground at all.
    That will almost surely be fixed with the port to 1.5 as the save-load bug is resolved. Then the rebels will serve their intended purpose well I assume. Most of the non-expansion of the AI is due to that error currently.

aka Artaserse (the Lone Borg) Member Obelics's Avatar

Hallo! Id like to see captain and Generals with custom skins in 0.8 update. Is this going to be made? Thanks!
    Anyway, whyle some vanilla general are really ugly (for example i dont like, but it is just my opinion, the greek vanilla skins for general), There are some nice vanilla skins, i like for example the Eastern General skin, so id like, if this skin is to be changed, to do not change it a lot.

Anyway great work never enough appreciated!
    Sorry if the matter of the cap/Gen skins could have already been discussed

Greetz Obelics/Artaserse

EB Token Radical Member QwertyMIDX's Avatar

We'll redo them all eventually, at the moment celtic lesser generals are already in game and family generals should be in shortly.
    History is for the future not the past. The dead don't read.

Operam et vitam do Europae Barbarorum.

History does not repeat itself. The historians repeat one another. - Max Beerbohm

This is my first post, i have been followig EB for almost a year but have only recently joined the forum i would like to say thanks for the great mod, however a suggestion for the next patch would be that when archers are on the walls of your greatest citadels why do they run out of ammunition! surely they would have a near infinate supply! oh well its a small point but in the end its the small things that count.
    "Money isnt the root of all evil, lack of money is."

(Mark Twain)

In version 0.8 they could reduce the time of construction for the edificios. Some take a very long time to be concluidos, what it compels the player to losing many turns the wait of determined edificios to be able to give you sweat them beneficios. Former: the mines of second nivel take 29 turns them to be concluidas or either more than 4 years the wait to have effect in the economy of factions, sory for my English

I have an important query about rebels. I think that the rebel generating system needs to be edited. I am not just speeking of the frustrating number of rebels, but also of the rebel's advancement and ethnicity. I find it odd when spanish rebels turn up in sicily and africa, and when velites turn up as rebels in Italy right at the start of the game. I was also wondering if the opening videos for the factions would be fixed, given to the right factions, or even possibly redone. Thanks.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Suggestions for v0.8

Quote Originally Posted by Mithradates
    This is my first post, i have been followig EB for almost a year but have only recently joined the forum i would like to say thanks for the great mod, however a suggestion for the next patch would be that when archers are on the walls of your greatest citadels why do they run out of ammunition! surely they would have a near infinate supply! oh well its a small point but in the end its the small things that count.
    That is impossible, I am afraid. Archer units carry the same number of arrows in every condition. It is possible to give them unlimited arrows, but then they will have unlimited arrows when fighting in the middle of nowhere as well when defending a citadel.

BTW, welcome to the Org .
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast