Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Best Campaign

Default Re: Best Campaign

My best campaign I won the long goals but kept playing to see if I could take over the entire map. I was doing so well and my only remaining enemy was Carthage.

Then my empire began breaking up and rebellions erupted everywhere. Each turn more cities rioted and my poor armies in the rebellious east were surrounded by rebel forces that were just as good and much larger in number than them.

As what happened to all large empires, it began rotting from within.

ALL the rebel provinces on the map WERE mine, and although it looks like 2 Spanish cities are in spain they actually belong to Carthage, I just haven't explored there recently. So I gave up and the Greek empire crumbled.

Currently enjoying a Greek Campaign on the XGM. That is, I was until my faction leader decided to become a coward.

Funny thing is, he's got some pretty decent traits and ancillaries.

Natural Born General, Counter-Spy, Spartan, Shieldbearer, Victor in Europe, etc.

RTW V1.5 & BI V1.6 Member Severous's Avatar

Hepcat...Ive never had the inclination to slog it out across the whole map. Too many big battles..and big rebellions.

Garvanko....still on the Greek mod I see. Not too clever making your leader a coward. Any idea how that happened ? I had a Greek general rout two or three times and he gained a trait 'dubious courage'...but that didnt change his name.

My current Gaul campaign. A small cavalry only force about to defeat rebels and help on my territorial push eastwards. Might come and see your Greeks yet Garvanko.
    Regards
    (RTW Eras: RTW V1.5 and BI V1.6 No Mods)

Currently writing a Scipii AAR (with pictures)
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=91877

Barbarian Invasion. Franks hold out against the world.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=77526

I honestly don't know why he's such a coward, Severous. He's got very good traits and ancillaries. It must be something global, like how Im expanding, or my use of spies, assassins and diplomats. Im trying to keep the leadership lineage with Sparta, but I may have to change my heir to an Athenian general or governor.

Edit:Found out why he's such a coward.

Among all his countless great attributes and hanger's on, he's managed to get himself a 'Ruled by Fear' trait. -5 Morale to all troops. Hell on Earth, I tell ya.

Which makes this assault on the Macedon Capital Pella a bit of a banana skin.

Impressive expansion with Gaul. What was your strategy against the Romans? Did you blitz, or was it a more staggered offensive? Are you going to attack Carthage anytime soon?
    Last edited by Garvanko; 07-17-2006 at 22:27.

RTW V1.5 & BI V1.6 Member Severous's Avatar

Garvanko

Not only -5 Morale but also -10 Influence and +10 Unrest. It is that mod isnt it ? Ive not seen such traits before in RTW.

As for the Gaul expansion against Romans...I just attacked them. Blitz I suppose. Thats what I do on all fronts. Carthage city is too far away..and Gaul do not control the seas. Their weak boats are no match for any other factions fleet. I am at war against Carthage faction. A big battle in central Spain soon as I march on Corduba.

Meanwhile. I am playing a swap game with another player. We are Greece...on vh/vh RTW V1.5 no Mods. I just got the game back and find the other player has recruited some armoured hoplites. Ive never owned any of these before. They are about to demonstrate how good they are. This battle is the largest number of men Ive ever had on the battlefield at once...its huge settings (ive had almost as much on large)
    Last edited by Severous; 07-18-2006 at 20:07.
    Regards
    (RTW Eras: RTW V1.5 and BI V1.6 No Mods)

Currently writing a Scipii AAR (with pictures)
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=91877

Barbarian Invasion. Franks hold out against the world.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=77526

I love Huge battles. My computer doesn't though, so I usually mod the unit size in the preferences.txt to 100. So far, its a good balance for both campaign (garrisons) and battle maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Severous
    Not only -5 Morale but also -10 Influence and +10 Unrest. It is that mod isnt it ? Ive not seen such traits before in RTW.
    Yes, probably. I don't mind it really, as it makes the battle more challenging. I'll have to keep an extra eye on my units morale - maybe wait for a sally and play defensive?
    Last edited by Garvanko; 07-21-2006 at 00:44.

Update:

As expected the AI garrison sallied, but I still managed to take Pella with my Coward of a faction leader.

Now he's less of a coward.

Here is an image of the game at the point where I gave up.
    https://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l...mpaign_map.jpg

ALL the rebel armies were as good as this one, it was rather depressing.
    Tell me, HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO DEFEAT THAT!!!!

Sorry for being so stupid and posting the same image twice, I didn't realise Zone Alarm blocked images. I thought I couldn't post an image because I was only a junior member. Sorry.

No worries.

The best way to deal with those rebels is to seige and wait until they sally or surrender. If you try an assault, I suspect you'll get hammered, or suffer a Pyrrhic victory. Its a messy situation you're in, though.

Senior Member Senior Member Tricky Lady's Avatar

Hello, here are a few screenshots of my Brutii campaign. I'm playing with the Mundus Magnus mod (still on 1.2). I'm thinking of trying another mod that runs on 1.5; Terra Expugnandae comes to mind, or perhaps Res Gestae, if I find a working download link.

So, my Brutii campaign.
    Here is a screenshot of the current map.

At first I concentrated on the typical targets Macedon and the Greek Cities, nicely obeying the Senate and conquering every city they sent me to. I decided to annoy the Julii, and conquered Patavium and Mediolanum. When I noticed that they didn't expand at all in the direction of Gaul, I moved an army to Massilia and conquered it too. As I really like natural borders, I wanted to conquer all regions up the Danube river, which gives me an easily defendable border. So far there have not been any attempts to break my fortified border yet.

After the initial conquests on the continent (which took many years, as I'm a very slow player), I settled down and started upgrading the formerly Greek cities. I didn't want to attempt the big jump to Minor Asia before the Marian reforms happened. So I built and built, organising border armies and re-arranging the active legions. Once the Marian reforms happened, I declared war on the Ptolemies and laid siege to Halicarnassus and that other city to the north of it. In the mean time I kept on sending large amounts of money to my ally of the first hour, the Seleucid empire.

The Egyptian armies and cities in Minor Asia crumbled rather easily for the might of my new legions, and I only stopped my conquests when I reached Salamis. But at that time, Pontus started playing around with spies and assassins, so I eagerly accepted the pretext to start a war with them. It was a pity that the Seleucids were allied to them (didn't check that before), so they cancelled our alliance. As a repercussion for their low loyalty I decided to declare war on them to, so I sieged Nikomedia (Pontus) and Ipsus (Seleucids) and a bit later the Salamis legion arrived at the walls of Sardis too.
    The conquests in the eastern part of Minor ASia went quite smoothly, even though I had (and still have) big difficulties killing off the Pontic chariots (especially their upgraded (bronze or silver chevronned) Scythed chariots are a pain). But the army sieging Sardis suffered a bad defeat... They typically got attacked by a relief force, which counted a few elephant units (two armoured ones and one 'regular' one - all at full strength). As I brought enough artillery I wasn't too worried... But I soon realised that I should be. I took position on top of a hill, and when the elephants marched uphill I targeted them with flaming arrows. None of the missiles hit the targets, and the elephants just walked on as if nothing was happening. Not one elephant panicked. But I did! They reached my lines in full strength, and their morale was still great too. Then I knew I was dead. They started to rampage through my front line of legionnaries, which I stupidly forgot to switch to loose formation, so the first white flags started to appear. Only a few units survived the slaughter, man, I was disgusted of my own amateurism! Luckily I was so rich that I had already prepared a back-up army, which was at place two turns later. I cowardly sent a diplomat to bribe the (leaderless) elephant army, as I could afford it. Five turns later the city fell. But at what cost.

Now I have just offered a ceasefire to the Seleucids, in return for a single payment of 30.000 denarii. They accepted, so I can now focus on the war with Pontus. I'm trying to break their back by conquering their most important cities. The Pontic empire is stretched out far into formerly Armenian lands, so I don't think I'll go so far, or I should offer the conquered lands to the Seleucids...

A couple of turns ago Egypt offered an alliance, which I accepted in return for a small amount of money (5.000 dn, I believe). Now the Seleucids are again trying to infiltrate my cities with their spies, so I guess I'll take advantage of this sooner or later to conquer their capital Antiocheia and that other city in the Cappadocian plateau. I'll sue for peace again once those cities are under Roman power.

So far this has been a nice campaign. Will try to post more screenies later on.
    Last edited by Tricky Lady; 07-22-2006 at 21:53.

wow, I'm surprised this thread is still going. Some nice campaigns there people. I'll start posting some more of my campaigns in about 6 weeks, hopefully.

Welcome back, Telys.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvanko
    Impressive. 154k profit from 4 protectorates.

I play Hard/Hard.. Rebels don't seem to cause much of a problem. They even asked me for a cease-fire once.

I play on H/H also. Medium just isn't "satisfying" enough, if you will.

I have an Egyptian campaign going now...252bc, 15 provinces, a mighty, mighty empire developing. The Julii have become amazingly powerful in this campaign and I don't quite understand how...

I control all of eastern/north africa and as far east as the last province on the bottom right of the map. I'm up to Antioch (Seleucid Capital) which I have surrounded and besieged with 2 stacks of forces. Other than that, they only have 2 other cities left and very few troops. Those 2 cities are rotted anyway...just a clean up. Parthia, who I've already taken one province from, has just 2 left and a military that couldn't threaten anyone.

I'll get a detailed description of my campaign as well as screenshots later on tonight or tomorrow. The battle that is about to take place (saved right before it...last thing to do this turn) is going to be the biggest one of the campaign yet. Looks like about 7000-7500 troops will be taking place in the battle. Large Stone Walls surround the Seleucid Capital and I have 3 sapping points, 4 seige towers, 4 rams, and 3 ladders ready to go. The catch is that they have 72 (yes, 72) elephants inside the stone walls...I don't view this as anything but an advantage though...I've been playing games with them for years: Repeatedly beating them by one turn to a rebel province hence causing them to march an army 4 turns one way, only to turn around and go 4 turns back. When I've felt it was time to take a few turns off from the heavy push...you know, resupply the front, pull back troops that need training, regarrison my cities, focus on production etc, I've just attacked up in their provinces with small, quick strikes...guerrilla war if you will. Just enough to put them in a position where Pontus and Armenia could keep beating them in the north. Also...on like turn 5 of the campaign I had attacked Demascus and lost the battle but it was a CLASSIC example of a Pyrric (sp?) victory. They immediately asked for a ceasefire and even shelled out 1500 denarii per turn for 5 turns to do so. 10 turns later they were weaker, poorer, tied up with 2 other factions and financially screwed so I wound up taking back demascus anyway and pushing east through there (have an army moving up to take the Hanging Gardens next). The point is that the next little game I play is in this epic, epic battle waiting to happen (it will make me the most powerful faction in the game at this point, even more than Julii, if I win the battle...it lays the foundation for a massive conquest of the whole East...strategically and financially...I hold Kydonia and have an army ready to attack Greece and take rhodes, and then take the rebel province of Helacanarsus (sp?). Basically, I'll hold every wonder in the East (6 total i think) in the next 5-8 years. Game over at that point Anyway, and I promise I'll tell you this time, the next little game I play is to use the elephants as a weapon against the Seleucids themselves. Since they've been surrounded by 2 full stacks (one being led by my faction Heir...who really isn't the "true" faction heir that I'll be naming later on but for strategic purposes it is what it is now) they haven't been able to break the seige...just one army's seige. They've attacked the un-led army, since that's the one in the front of the city, 3 turns in a row and broken their seige...eliminating any equipment that has been built by that army. Thing is that the OTHER army beseiging them, the one with my heir leading it, has never had it's seige broken and just keeps developing more seige equipment. So obviously the Seleucids have tried everything to make this battle take place out in the field as opposed to inside the city, since they know we're going to be able to breach the walls. The plan is this: When I start breaking into the city with infantry, I'm going to have my skirmishers and archers focus their fire on the elephants. The bowmen are going to use flaming arrows from outside the walls and shake up all 70+ elephants so that while the major fighting is going on at the walls/right inside the city the Seleucid front linesman will get a nasty surprise behind them: 70+ elephants all running amok. As soon as that happens I am going to release my "entrance infantry line 2" if you will...another LONG row of nubian spearman in a phalanx formation which will drive the enemy back into the city a bit. This will pin them back with all of their cavalry like a sandwhich ...stuck together with all the elephants going crazy. At this point...I'll sacrifice a unit of camel cavalry (Bedouin Warriors) to make a daring rush at the elephants. Should keep them nice and "amok" .

Anyway...this utter rambling has gone on long enough...I'll condense and organize my campaign story later on as I said, and try to include some screenshots.
    One Word: Chariots

The Lord of the Thistles Member Roderic the Emptyhanded's Avatar
    Here and there. There and here. You know; wherever there's food. And pie.

Hi everyone, this is a picture of my first julii campaign on M/M.

As you can see the Senate and the rest of the roman factions still exist (unhappily). I'm not at war with anyone at the moment, and would like to have some advise.
    My goal right now is to wage war at the roman senate, but I can't because I don't have enough support from the people. I'm rather stuck right now as I don't wish to start a new war against anyone until I have secured Italy and destroyed the senate.
    So, how do I get more support from the people? Making them more happy?
    Conquering more settlements?

Regards Wiking.

The Ultimate Grand Inquisitor! Member UltraWar's Avatar

Why not try and get the Marius Reforms?

That could help you gain some more support from the people.

Yeah or go to war with spain as they won't take much thought to be defeated and then they should give you support you need. Whats the level of your support now?
    offline, i don't know how to play online - Some Random n00b. Maybe he was registered here.

The Lord of the Thistles Member Roderic the Emptyhanded's Avatar
    Here and there. There and here. You know; wherever there's food. And pie.

Crap.
    Thanks for the advise. But my computer crashed this morning (again). So I have just started a new campaign. If I have the time I'll upload some pics of it later.

Philosophically Inclined Member CountMRVHS's Avatar

I'm currently having a very interesting game as the Scipii. Playing H/H 1.5 w/ BI, and no downloaded mods. I have, however, made some modifications to the game myself, so I guess I should start there.

Like many people, I have come to hate Egypt and the way they will always take over the middle east so that by the time you get there they've knocked off other, more interesting factions. So in descr_strat, I gave Salamis and Sidon to the Seleucids, and took away all Egyptian starting units and buildings (aside from family members and core buildings) and modded population size wayyyy down in Jerusalem, Alexandria, and Memphis. Thebes I gave to rebels, as there was no family member in the town -- and I would have given Jerusalem away too, but I don't know how to move family members in descr_strat. Finally, to encourage Parthia, I gave them that rebel town between them and Armenia.

I've played a couple other short campaigns with this setup, and it usually results in Egypt staying put for much longer than normal, but still they will work up the numbers and eventually start to harass the Seleucids. (The ultimate dream will be to mod them out altogether, if I can ever figure out how.)

I decided I'd turtle and otherwise be a good Senate-fearing Roman. There was the usual scrum in Sicily, with the Greeks sending Armoured Hoplites my way, but after taking Lilybaeum from Carthage I was finally able to take Syracuse. For a long time I sat and built, as the only Senate missions I was getting were to blockade ports. The Brutii were doing their usual "on the boat, off the boat" routine, and not grabbing any land, which was driving me nuts, but the Julii were doing ok. After a short time they had kicked the Gauls out of northern Italy, grabbed Messalia and Sardinia, and were working on spreading out into the northern Balkans.

By this time my dipomat had rounded the Black Sea just in time to see Pontus besieging the Armenians in Kotais. Fairly typical, I thought, since Pontus always takes Turkey (those chariots, no doubt). I got map info from Parthia and was pleasantly surprised to see they had grabbed Seleucia, Dumatha, and Palmyra, and were currently at peace with the Seleucids. Seleucia was holding its own, and in fact was only at war with one faction -- Egypt. I had been expecting this, and as my diplomat moved down through the middle east I was expecting to see the yellow hordes besieging Sidon or Damascus. To my surprise, no Egyptians to be found. And to my *delight*, I found that Seleucia had actually captured Jerusalem from the Egyptians! Even with the modding I've done, I've never seen that happen.

I moved my diplomat on down to Egypt to find the Seleucids were actually following up on the war and invading the Nile region. They were holding their own, and kept sending stacks down there, but were never able to capture any Nile cities. They'd besiege Alexandria for several turns but then give up, or be unable to assault successfully. I helped by bribing all the Egyptian captains I could find, and worked on getting an army down there to help the Seleucids finish the job.

Meanwhile, the Senate had finally given me a new mission: take Apollonia. Macedon owned the town, so I worked on a ceasefire & trade rights with the Greeks, then got an army over there and took it. Unfortunately, this act of war against Macedon resulted in the Julii dropping our alliance. I was able to get it back a few turns later, but we never got military access back, which is very frustrating.

I held Apollonia for maybe 10 or 15 turns, at which point the Greeks decided they wanted it back. That wasn't so surprising in itself -- but what *was* surprising was the amount of Armoured Hoplites they brought to the fight. I saw 2 stacks, each half AH and half regular/militia hoplites. Plus ballistae, archers, Greek cav, peltasts. I knew I couldn't hold it and the town fell a few turns later -- despite the efforts of the Julii, who had now captured Salona and Segestica and were interested in keeping a large Roman presence in the Balkans. They showed up as reinforcements in a siege, but it wasn't enough against those monster hoplites.

Rather than try to take the town back, I did something I *never* have to do in RTW, and decided to just give it up and look elsewhere. Greece and Macedon were at war, so maybe eventually one of them would get weak enough for me to exploit. The Senate in the meantime wanted me to grab Carthage. I figured it was time. I set my recruiters to training two legions -- one for Carthage, one for Egypt.

I found Carthage had been kicked from Spain, but had taken all of Africa from Lepcis Magna west. They were making Poeni Infantry and even had a Sacred Band Inf unit in Carthage, with a few elephant units scattered around. All in all, more formidable than I'm used to seeing them.

As I sent my army to besiege Carthage I noticed something strange was going on. The Julii had lost Massilia -- to SPAIN. The Spanish were now, in fact, besieging Mediolanium, with another stack threatening Segesta! A few turns later Gaul was wiped out, collapsing under pressure from the Spanish to the south and the British from the north. Dacia decided to pile on the Julii from the other side, taking their Balkan possessions and eventually sacking Patavium. They must have known they couldn't hold it, because they left it a burning wreck and retreated their main force back north, leaving only a small garrison.

My army down in Egypt was doing what the Seleucids couldn't: I captured Memphis, then Thebes, leaving tiny garrisons in each, and then quickly sent my main army up to Alexandria, hoping it would be enough. About 5 turns later, it was: Egypt was gone.

However, in so doing, I actually *won* the short campaign for the Seleucids! (Of course I decided to keep playing with the long campaign) So much for my fears that they would be wiped out by Pontus. In fact, a few turns later, I got notification that Armenia, and then Pontus, had been destroyed. Map information from the Seleucids revealed that there were in fact only 2 major powers in the East: Seleucia, which had every Turkish region except Pergamum (held by the Greeks), and Parthia, which had grabbed Bostra. I left the Nile cities to the Seleucids and shipped my victorious army back west, where I needed them to deal with two things: my army that successfully took Carthage was now in turn under siege, and the Senate was asking me to take Thapsus as well; and also to help out the Julii by beating back the Spanish.

I haven't dealt with either of those situations yet, but I can't wait. Carthage has a stack and a half keeping me under siege in their former capital, and I just landed my troops to besiege Thapsus, hopefully in time for the mission. Following that, I need to get some damage control up in northern Italy, or the peninsula is going to be overrun by barbarians. And finally, eventually I'll have to head East and fight, for the first time EVER, a strong Seleucid empire. If I get lucky, Parthia will still be around and I'll have to deal with them too. Fun stuff!

CountMRVHS

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS
    I'm currently having a very interesting game as the Scipii. Playing H/H 1.5 w/ BI, and no downloaded mods. I have, however, made some modifications to the game myself, so I guess I should start there.

Like many people, I have come to hate Egypt and the way they will always take over the middle east so that by the time you get there they've knocked off other, more interesting factions. So in descr_strat, I gave Salamis and Sidon to the Seleucids, and took away all Egyptian starting units and buildings (aside from family members and core buildings) and modded population size wayyyy down in Jerusalem, Alexandria, and Memphis. Thebes I gave to rebels, as there was no family member in the town -- and I would have given Jerusalem away too, but I don't know how to move family members in descr_strat. Finally, to encourage Parthia, I gave them that rebel town between them and Armenia.

I've played a couple other short campaigns with this setup, and it usually results in Egypt staying put for much longer than normal, but still they will work up the numbers and eventually start to harass the Seleucids. (The ultimate dream will be to mod them out altogether, if I can ever figure out how.)

I decided I'd turtle and otherwise be a good Senate-fearing Roman. There was the usual scrum in Sicily, with the Greeks sending Armoured Hoplites my way, but after taking Lilybaeum from Carthage I was finally able to take Syracuse. For a long time I sat and built, as the only Senate missions I was getting were to blockade ports. The Brutii were doing their usual "on the boat, off the boat" routine, and not grabbing any land, which was driving me nuts, but the Julii were doing ok. After a short time they had kicked the Gauls out of northern Italy, grabbed Messalia and Sardinia, and were working on spreading out into the northern Balkans.

By this time my dipomat had rounded the Black Sea just in time to see Pontus besieging the Armenians in Kotais. Fairly typical, I thought, since Pontus always takes Turkey (those chariots, no doubt). I got map info from Parthia and was pleasantly surprised to see they had grabbed Seleucia, Dumatha, and Palmyra, and were currently at peace with the Seleucids. Seleucia was holding its own, and in fact was only at war with one faction -- Egypt. I had been expecting this, and as my diplomat moved down through the middle east I was expecting to see the yellow hordes besieging Sidon or Damascus. To my surprise, no Egyptians to be found. And to my *delight*, I found that Seleucia had actually captured Jerusalem from the Egyptians! Even with the modding I've done, I've never seen that happen.

I moved my diplomat on down to Egypt to find the Seleucids were actually following up on the war and invading the Nile region. They were holding their own, and kept sending stacks down there, but were never able to capture any Nile cities. They'd besiege Alexandria for several turns but then give up, or be unable to assault successfully. I helped by bribing all the Egyptian captains I could find, and worked on getting an army down there to help the Seleucids finish the job.

Meanwhile, the Senate had finally given me a new mission: take Apollonia. Macedon owned the town, so I worked on a ceasefire & trade rights with the Greeks, then got an army over there and took it. Unfortunately, this act of war against Macedon resulted in the Julii dropping our alliance. I was able to get it back a few turns later, but we never got military access back, which is very frustrating.

I held Apollonia for maybe 10 or 15 turns, at which point the Greeks decided they wanted it back. That wasn't so surprising in itself -- but what *was* surprising was the amount of Armoured Hoplites they brought to the fight. I saw 2 stacks, each half AH and half regular/militia hoplites. Plus ballistae, archers, Greek cav, peltasts. I knew I couldn't hold it and the town fell a few turns later -- despite the efforts of the Julii, who had now captured Salona and Segestica and were interested in keeping a large Roman presence in the Balkans. They showed up as reinforcements in a siege, but it wasn't enough against those monster hoplites.

Rather than try to take the town back, I did something I *never* have to do in RTW, and decided to just give it up and look elsewhere. Greece and Macedon were at war, so maybe eventually one of them would get weak enough for me to exploit. The Senate in the meantime wanted me to grab Carthage. I figured it was time. I set my recruiters to training two legions -- one for Carthage, one for Egypt.

I found Carthage had been kicked from Spain, but had taken all of Africa from Lepcis Magna west. They were making Poeni Infantry and even had a Sacred Band Inf unit in Carthage, with a few elephant units scattered around. All in all, more formidable than I'm used to seeing them.

As I sent my army to besiege Carthage I noticed something strange was going on. The Julii had lost Massilia -- to SPAIN. The Spanish were now, in fact, besieging Mediolanium, with another stack threatening Segesta! A few turns later Gaul was wiped out, collapsing under pressure from the Spanish to the south and the British from the north. Dacia decided to pile on the Julii from the other side, taking their Balkan possessions and eventually sacking Patavium. They must have known they couldn't hold it, because they left it a burning wreck and retreated their main force back north, leaving only a small garrison.

My army down in Egypt was doing what the Seleucids couldn't: I captured Memphis, then Thebes, leaving tiny garrisons in each, and then quickly sent my main army up to Alexandria, hoping it would be enough. About 5 turns later, it was: Egypt was gone.

However, in so doing, I actually *won* the short campaign for the Seleucids! (Of course I decided to keep playing with the long campaign) So much for my fears that they would be wiped out by Pontus. In fact, a few turns later, I got notification that Armenia, and then Pontus, had been destroyed. Map information from the Seleucids revealed that there were in fact only 2 major powers in the East: Seleucia, which had every Turkish region except Pergamum (held by the Greeks), and Parthia, which had grabbed Bostra. I left the Nile cities to the Seleucids and shipped my victorious army back west, where I needed them to deal with two things: my army that successfully took Carthage was now in turn under siege, and the Senate was asking me to take Thapsus as well; and also to help out the Julii by beating back the Spanish.

I haven't dealt with either of those situations yet, but I can't wait. Carthage has a stack and a half keeping me under siege in their former capital, and I just landed my troops to besiege Thapsus, hopefully in time for the mission. Following that, I need to get some damage control up in northern Italy, or the peninsula is going to be overrun by barbarians. And finally, eventually I'll have to head East and fight, for the first time EVER, a strong Seleucid empire. If I get lucky, Parthia will still be around and I'll have to deal with them too. Fun stuff!

CountMRVHS
    No offense, but I stopped reading when I saw that you gimped the living daylights out of Egypt. Sorry...just can't take that campaign seriously...no matter what happens in it.

No offence, but I stopped reading your post after I realized you misspelled offence. Just can't take a post like that seriously. Though in the name of saving people's mouse-scroll fingers, you might try just replying rather than quoting around 4 screens full of text only to make 3 lines of response.

But *seriously*, what's so fun about seeing the same campaign over and over again? Left unmodded, Egypt is guaranteed to plow over every other faction nearby, with the occasional exception of Pontus. For once, as a Roman faction, I'd like to be able to head east and see what it would be like to fight a strong Seleucia or Parthia. Crippling the Egyptians this bad seems to be the only way to stand a chance of getting that result.

What about just removing ownership from any provinces from them? Removing them completely from the game? This way another Eastern power is sure to scoop them up. Just be careful that it's not Carthage who drives out to the middle east picking up all of those valuable Nile wonders.

To be honest, I'm only just getting into basic RTW modding. In MTW, I could make new factions and do all sorts of things that I can't yet do with Rome. So I didn't take the Egyptians out because I don't know how.

It's not that I have something intrinsically against the Egyptian faction. It would be nice if it was possible to have them still around, and be challenging, but just not go crazy with their conquering. I'd like to fight the Egyptians in Egypt, and not have to chase them up to Turkey.

Anyway, I think I may go back and make some other changes for next time. If I give Jerusalem to rebels and let the Egyptians have the 3 nile towns -- and make those towns fairly decent again -- that might keep the balance.

I'm still with my Scipii campaign, btw. The year is 172 and I own Spain, Gaul, London, and the coastal regions of NW Africa. The Seleucids have kicked the Parthians to Campus Sakae and the Greeks to Rhodes, and they've even managed to wipe out the Scythians! The regions around the Black Sea and north are looking very strange -- the Brutii, Julii, British, and Seleucids all own land around there. I'm just waiting for the Seleucids to start a war with the other Romans.

The Brutii have managed to take almost all of Greece, with the Julii taking the western half of the Balkans. Both of them are now pushing north against the British. The "most advanced" title keeps getting traded between myself, the Brutii, and the Seleucids.

Carthage is still around, but I have their capital Lepcis Magna under siege. Taking that town will put me next to the Seleucids, since they own the province of Libya. My goal after taking the town is to set up a network of watchtowers to alert me of any Seleucid movements in my direction. Those guys are making EVERYTHING now: Armoured War Elephants, Cataphracts, Silver Shield Pikemen, and Silver Shield Legionaries. Units I've never seen before in RTW, unless myself or my wife happened to be playing the Seleucids. Can't wait for the fight to come, although I'm starting to seriously wonder if I can win. I own 26 provinces and my popular support is creeping up, so I may be in a position to take Italy soon.

CountMRVHS

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

My Koinon Hellenon (Hellenic League) campaign with EB v .74. The screenshot was taken a few days ago.

Right now, I've destroyed Pontus, the Pink/Purple power, but the Pontic homeland has rebelled from me, so is temporarily in Rebel hands.

This has got to be the most entertaining campaign by far, as the generals are more realistic in gaining traits (an lazy, unsociable idiot goes nowhere without ancillaries and a good education, usually in Athens) and the wars are much more difficult. Every inch of ground gained was fought over, and it has taken me 30 years to get to this position: that's 120 turns, longer than Alexander's campaign. Every single settlement taken has required the defeat of one stack at least, and your armies have to be positioned carefully, as they are more expensive to maintain and are necessary for defense. The diplomacy doesn't seem as stupid as in vanilla as well, since the Dacians have done a smart thing and not tried to besiege lightly-held Byzantion.

Pontus was relatively easy to destroy, after they tried, and failed, to spam my army with their troops, that was holding a bridge crossing. After that, less Pontic stacks flying around meant easy pickings, apart from the last Pontic territory.

It's also not just take-and-hold like in vanilla RTW, I've sacrificed a few cities already, taking them only to hurt Pontus.

The generals' difficulty in gaining command stars makes them more valuable as well, and quite frustrating when they gain traits like 'Lover of Beauty'.

All in all, far more fun than vanilla.
    Last edited by Avicenna; 08-08-2006 at 11:00.
    Student by day, bacon-eating narwhal by night (specifically midnight)

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112