Thread: Heir help for a newbie

I'm new to Shogun, but I'm really enjoying it. That is until I ran into a problem. In the middle of my game, it ended with a statement saying that I had no heirs. But, I remember 3 different times getting a message that an heir was born. Please explain if there are any known heir bugs with the game and how the heir process works. The manual isn't very helpful in this area.

Thanks,
    Jason

Did you ever get a message that they had "come of age?

If so, did you get them killed in battle?
    Damn, its about time we get MP Campaign!!!

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

you can see just how things look by accessing the feature that keeps tabs on your heirs and whether they're full-grown or still too young to take command in the event of your untimely demise. Check the info-parchment and look for the icon with the father&son on it.

Yes, they have to be old enough to become a daimyo.

------------------
    A great warrior never reveal his true skills....
    A great warrior rarely reveal his true skills....

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses. After writing the initial message, I went in and checked the savegame again. Even though I KNOW I had 3 heirs, they're all gone! This is what leads me to believe there is a bug. But, I'll start a new game and see what happens. To answer one of the questions, I do not remember if I ever received a message about an heir coming of age, but it does seem like it happened once. Sorry I'm not more positive about that. Like I said, I never paid much attention because I didn't think it mattered that much.

Thanks,
    Jason

Oh, and I forgot, I never took ANY of my heirs into battle, at least not knowingly. Would they ever get attached to a group of trainies from that castle or do I have to specify?

Thanks,
    Jason

The heirs automagically get assigned to the next unit produced a year (or something... it's definitely not right away) after they come of age. You probably sent off your men to die honourably without realising that they were your very own children!
    "If your soul is imperfect, living will be difficult." -- Ryo Hayabusa, DOA2

"Hey, why are the enemy throwing their cookware at us?" *KABOOM* -- Thunderbomber sneak attack!

Thanks BakaGaijin, I fear that is what happened. Oh well, I'll just start a new game, fortunately, I wasn't even at 25% done yet, so I don't have too much to loose.

Jason

Senior Member Senior Member Dark Phoenix's Avatar

From the latest interview it looks like a heir will have its own icon on the map so this wont happen which I am sure wioll be good.

------------------
    DoragonPhoenix of the Clan Doragon
    DP is correct - Shiro

playing as uesegi it has happened to me that an heir of mine vanished...i did not take him into battle and he was not assasinated...luckily i had the other good one

------------------
    Hirosito Mori

A warrior's wisdom is shown in the treating of his defeated opponent
    Hirosito Mori

Hirosito the Baptist of the Babbiest Babe Thread.

Gentile or Jew
    O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
    Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

A little more info for the newbie,

Even if you happen not to pay attention to the appearence of an heir, note that heirs appear as generals, usually, of high honor. Either 3 or 4, except Takeda Shingen (sp?) who enters the field as a [B]5[b]!

Also, just to be accurate, there are "vanishings"! They are rare and usually occur during "stacking", if I recall correctly. There's a thread discussing this in more detail somewhere. It'not that old, try a search with "disappear" as the key word.

That being said, do you recall any high honor generals popping up? In your case, I'm sure you killed your heir(s) that came of age.
    Damn, its about time we get MP Campaign!!!