Poll: Is Gah! option inane and for the retarded?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 130

Thread: Is Gah! inane?

  1. #61
    Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    ignores routers who aren't elite
    Posts
    2,554

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krasturak
    They are saying 'Gah!'!!

    *grabs axe*

    .... and the rest is history ....
    Thanks for the comment.

    *walks away, fumbling for his head on the ground*

    Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

  2. #62
    MediŠval Auctoriso Member Member TheSilverKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Madrid, Espa˝a (University)
    Posts
    2,608

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    Now where is Vanya when we need him?

    As for me. Gah is like Gahd. Only missing letters. ;-)

    Which heretic here says gah is retarded? Well if so, then count me in with the retards!
    "I'm like the Vikings -- I come here, I steal your women, your booze, your dough, and then I go back home." ~ Wiz
    "Play RTW and wait till 1,000 people die and look at them from above. Then tell me it was worth the oil." - Byzantine Prince

  3. #63
    Not affiliated with Red Dwarf. Member Ianofsmeg16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Home of Palm trees, cats with no tails, three-legged men, fairies...and more german bikers than germany
    Posts
    1,996

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    I'm a retard!
    When I was a child
    I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb...

    Proud Supporter of the Gahzette

  4. #64

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    One more for the loony bin!

  5. #65
    American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lalaland
    Posts
    3,125

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    I find it most surprising that Pindar would consider such a thinking as Plato's as the backbone of philosophy.

    Perhaps the claim that Philosophy is a footnote back to Plato is valid, but it would be a very long footnote filled with insults and disagreements, especially if we are to consider the later ages.

    And I for one truly doubts GAH! is a good example of the herd mentality. There is a difference between light-hearted jokes taken by many people as a tradition and what herd mentality is often referred to as, bigotry and prejudice.

    of course, I voted gah!
    Last edited by AntiochusIII; 04-12-2006 at 00:27.

  6. #66
    Master of the Horse Senior Member Pindar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The base of Yggdrasil
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    Quote Originally Posted by AntiochusIII
    I find it most surprising that Pindar would consider such a thinking as Plato's as the backbone of philosophy.
    Hello,

    I have made no such claim. However, Plato was the first system builder and platonic realism, in one fashion or another, has had a strong presence in Western Thought ever since. One has only to go to a Mathematics Dept. for an illustration.

    Perhaps the claim that Philosophy is a footnote back to Plato is valid, but it would be a very long footnote filled with insults and disagreements, especially if we are to consider the later ages.
    That is certainly true.

    And I for one truly doubts GAH! is a good example of the herd mentality.
    It's a perfect example. Just look at the number who run to embrace retardation in this and related threads.

    "We are lovers of beauty without extravagance and of learning without loss of vigor." -Thucydides

    "The secret of Happiness is Freedom, and the secret of Freedom, Courage." -Thucydides

  7. #67
    Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,334

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    Herd mentality is to be taken advantage of by others. There will always be idiots and they will always be ignorant that will be annoyed by that fact. People don't like to be called idiots even if it is a relevent fact.

    You wouldn't want me pointing out how dumb I think your religion is, would you Pindar?
    Last edited by Byzantine Prince; 04-12-2006 at 06:12.

  8. #68
    American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lalaland
    Posts
    3,125

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pindar
    Hello,

    I have made no such claim. However, Plato was the first system builder and platonic realism, in one fashion or another, has had a strong presence in Western Thought ever since. One has only to go to a Mathematics Dept. for an illustration.
    Ah, then I have misunderstood your post. And I acknowledge the influence of Plato--nonetheless, I do not believe him right for many reasons. And Platonic realism does seem to me quite contradictory, so I'd like to ask that you elaborate on this to dispel my ignorance. Unless, of course, you mean the theoretical absoluteness that Plato likes to base his philosophy on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pindar
    It's a perfect example. Just look at the number who run to embrace retardation in this and related threads.
    Number does not indicate everything. You missed the more important sentence after the one you quoted, where I gave my reason: the "herd mentality" has an unavoidable connotation of bigotry and the foolish masses--the long-running joke, a tradition if you may, of Gah!, is not bigotry. It is almost satire.

  9. #69
    Clan Silent Assassins Member Faust|'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    US
    Posts
    361

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    Regarding the herd mentality:

    I read something just today while studying for a test in an anthropology class that is pertinent:

    "Among the higher primates and humans, a youngster must learn what behavior is acceptable in order to get along successfully with other members of its social group. A youngster must also acquire a repertoire of learned behaviors to deal with its environment and learn how to utilize these behaviors successfully. Such learned standards of behavior are the group's culture. Because it is learned, not inhereted, cultural behavior can only be passed on through traditions, not through genes. However, the biological bases for this sort of learned behavior - namely, a prolonged period of dependency and a large, complex brain- are themselves genetically inherited."

    I'm never surprised at any herd mentality, and not often really disturbed by any except mob mentality. What does surprise me is the prolification of this strange creature that lives outside of society. These individuals are socially stunted, but not intellectually stunted. Might this be a result of the parts of their brain housing higher reasoning being dominant and leading to simply a greater proportion of time in development being occupied by asocial, "higher" they would say, thought or activity? What fascinates me is the prospect that the trend throughout the human species toward increased ability in higher reasoning, a trait that increases survivability, would result in an inability to thrive socially (something so integral to basic human survivability and reproductive success). Is this a truth, or are those who are socially stunted simply as mal-adapted as a weakling?

    An easy answer would be to say that all those who are intelligent yet socially stunted are weaklings, but this is not true. I do admit a "secondary" social learning phase for some, where negative social pressure may have forced them to invest time in their development to social thinking, resulting in a socially successful and intellectually potent adult. But what about those who are definitively socially unsuccessful, physically both at least average in strength and attractiveness, and very bright? The catch is, and I have seen this supported by facts, that there are inordinately more socially unsuccessful bright people than mentally "average" people of similar physique... I'm just amazed. Yet I wouldn't hesitate to deem so many of those numerous people who have advanced the technical knowledge of humankind over time as "undesirable nerds." HURRAH ATAVISM!
    Last edited by Faust|; 04-12-2006 at 08:40.

  10. #70
    Iron Fist Senior Member Husar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    15,617

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    Herd mentality is to be taken advantage of by others. There will always be idiots and they will always be ignorant that will be annoyed by that fact. People don't like to be called idiots even if it is a relevent fact.

    You wouldn't want me pointing out how dumb I think your religion is, would you Pindar?
    And you wouldn´t want me to say what I think about your philosophy, it´s all subjective my friend...
    Last edited by Husar; 04-12-2006 at 12:35.


    "Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

  11. #71
    Master of the Horse Senior Member Pindar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The base of Yggdrasil
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    Quote Originally Posted by AntiochusIII
    Ah, then I have misunderstood your post. And I acknowledge the influence of Plato--nonetheless, I do not believe him right for many reasons. And Platonic realism does seem to me quite contradictory, so I'd like to ask that you elaborate on this to dispel my ignorance. Unless, of course, you mean the theoretical absoluteness that Plato likes to base his philosophy on.
    I do mean the formal appeals that impact his metaphysics. What contradiction(s) are you referring to?

    Number does not indicate everything. You missed the more important sentence after the one you quoted, where I gave my reason: the "herd mentality" has an unavoidable connotation of bigotry and the foolish masses--the long-running joke, a tradition if you may, of Gah!, is not bigotry. It is almost satire.
    Satire suggests a subtlety of thought and position that is not demonstrated by the gaggle.

    "We are lovers of beauty without extravagance and of learning without loss of vigor." -Thucydides

    "The secret of Happiness is Freedom, and the secret of Freedom, Courage." -Thucydides

  12. #72

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pindar
    I do mean the formal appeals that impact his metaphysics. What contradiction(s) are you referring to?
    Have you read Platos Parmenides? A young Socrates is arguing with Parmenides and Parmenides kicks his arse verbally. Now, this is a strong self-criticism, where Plato actually points out some errors of his metaphysical system.
    One question that is fair to ask Plato is, how does new things occur? Have the ideas always been there for every possible imaginable thing?

    Also that last book in the republic really shows me what ancient and flawed his system is. While I, of course, do not discredit him and acknowledge his strong influence, especially on christian and neoplatonic thought, he, in my opinion, doesnt have a functioning impact on as many issues as Aristotle - who was/is refered to as The Philosopher.
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

  13. #73
    Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    The dark side
    Posts
    5,383

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pindar
    It's a perfect example. Just look at the number who run to embrace retardation in this and related threads.
    If Gah is retarded herd mentality, then the English language is a retarded herd mentality. Gah is not a political opinion but a language convention at the .org, and inside joke, or a tradition at the most. It's not like we're saying "the holy Gah commands you to kill all who don't embrace Gah!", then we'd have a problem with herd mentality. The mere sound of Gah is funny, just like Meh, or Bleh, or Muahahaha. If you wish it to be an intellectual form of satire, then you could say the satirical element is that it goes against the in a way - in comparison - ridiculously complex spelling and pronounciation of all words in existing languages, and the desire of some cultures to distance themselves from their natural heritage, that they call "barbary". None of these simple sounds that are so easy to pronounce, so natural, are words in our languages. We try to hide between exquisitly pronounced words that few can learn if they didn't learn them from when they were very young kids. Gah is a reaction against this, a reaction against self-denial.
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 04-12-2006 at 18:20.
    Under construction...

    "In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

  14. #74
    Master of the Horse Senior Member Pindar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The base of Yggdrasil
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sjakihata
    Have you read Platos Parmenides? A young Socrates is arguing with Parmenides and Parmenides kicks his arse verbally. Now, this is a strong self-criticism, where Plato actually points out some errors of his metaphysical system.
    I have read the dialogue. It is one of his later works. There is no clear consensus on just what the point is supposed to be, but it is generally agreed the work can be divided into two parts. What you refer to is in the first section, but the key lies with how one comes to understand the second section.

    One question that is fair to ask Plato is, how does new things occur? Have the ideas always been there for every possible imaginable thing?
    I think Plato would say the forms have always been there for any innovation. One's new idea doesn't create the form, but rather the new idea is only possible because mind has participated in the already existent form.

    Also that last book in the republic really shows me what ancient and flawed his system is. While I, of course, do not discredit him and acknowledge his strong influence, especially on Christian and neoplatonic thought, he, in my opinion, doesnt have a functioning impact on as many issues as Aristotle - who was/is refered to as The Philosopher.
    Yes St. Thomas did refer to Aristotle as The Philosopher as he referred to Paul as The Apostle. Even so, Scholasticism always had its rivals as seen in Bonaventure among others and it did not fair so well once the Probabilists came on the scene. I think it is hard to argue Plato's functioning impact is less than Aristotle if not so varied given there are literally billions of Christians who understand their faith along Neo-Platonic lines which of course means things trace back to Plato himself. Regardless they are two of the Triumvirs of philosophy.
    Last edited by Pindar; 04-12-2006 at 22:15.

    "We are lovers of beauty without extravagance and of learning without loss of vigor." -Thucydides

    "The secret of Happiness is Freedom, and the secret of Freedom, Courage." -Thucydides

  15. #75
    Master of the Horse Senior Member Pindar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The base of Yggdrasil
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    Quote Originally Posted by LegioXXXUlpiaVictrix
    If Gah is retarded herd mentality, then the English language is a retarded herd mentality. Gah is not a political opinion but a language convention at the .org, and inside joke, or a tradition at the most. It's not like we're saying "the holy Gah commands you to kill all who don't embrace Gah!", then we'd have a problem with herd mentality.

    Have you not seen polls where the absence of gah brought all sorts of invective and refusals to participate simply because it was missing? The judgment stands.

    "We are lovers of beauty without extravagance and of learning without loss of vigor." -Thucydides

    "The secret of Happiness is Freedom, and the secret of Freedom, Courage." -Thucydides

  16. #76
    Hǫr­ar Member Viking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hordaland, Norway
    Posts
    6,330

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pindar
    Have you not seen polls where the absence of gah brought all sorts of invective and refusals to participate simply because it was missing? The judgment stands.
    Generalization. Spot on!
    Runes for good luck:

    [1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

  17. #77
    Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,353

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pindar
    Have you not seen polls where the absence of gah brought all sorts of invective and refusals to participate simply because it was missing? The judgment stands.
    I have seen a few, yes. However, bring one example of an invective which matches the offensive nature of your "Gah is for the retarded" comment...

    If this is your measuring stick of something being "retarded," surely you will also have to look closer?

  18. #78
    Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,334

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    And you wouldn┤t want me to say what I think about your philosophy, it┤s all subjective my friend...
    I don't subscribe to a single philosophy. Please tell me what you think...

  19. #79
    Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin Death Trip
    Posts
    15,754

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    I guess it's safe to say we shouldn't ask what Pindar thinks of the whole ninjas versus pirates thing. Plato didn't even know about ninjas and pirates, which just goes to show that Plato was a retard.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them ... well, I have others." Ś Groucho Marx

  20. #80
    Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,334

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    Plato is so boring. Everytime I've read his dumbass dialogues I fall asleep wondering how it could get any more problematic and I always try to not be affected by his flawed axioms and ideas.

    What's with all the
    "...wouldn't you agree?"
    "Certainly, Socrates."

    GAH! I don't agree mother*****! ****!

  21. #81
    Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin Death Trip
    Posts
    15,754

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    What's with all the
    "...wouldn't you agree?"
    "Certainly, Socrates."
    Certainly that is true, Byzantine! Please continue! Any man of reason can see how right your argument is. Certainly it is obvious once you explain it.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them ... well, I have others." Ś Groucho Marx

  22. #82
    Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,334

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    It has thus far been important, my old friend, that we keep our heads where are asses are, so we don't forget that talking like we are intelligent makes all the crap that comes out of our mouth seem pertinent.

  23. #83
    Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Yozgat
    Posts
    5,167

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    Axe is as vital as primitive it is. So here it goes:

    I don't like Pindar's style over here and no matter how he tries to rationalize that salad-o-philiosophic murmur and incredibly tries to correlate it with the discussion of our beloved retardedishly-simple word called GAH!, "behaving" means much more to me rather than the capacity of thinking. I am a retarded and he does not behave.

    *Axe swings..
    Last edited by LeftEyeNine; 04-12-2006 at 23:14.

  24. #84
    Master of the Horse Senior Member Pindar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The base of Yggdrasil
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Good Guys
    Have you not seen polls where the absence of gah brought all sorts of invective and refusals to participate simply because it was missing? The judgment stands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reenk Roink
    I have seen a few, yes.
    Good we agree.

    However, bring one example of an invective which matches the offensive nature of your "Gah is for the retarded" comment...
    See post #47.

    "We are lovers of beauty without extravagance and of learning without loss of vigor." -Thucydides

    "The secret of Happiness is Freedom, and the secret of Freedom, Courage." -Thucydides

  25. #85
    Master of the Horse Senior Member Pindar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The base of Yggdrasil
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    Quote Originally Posted by LeftEyeNine
    I don't like Pindar's style over here...
    But, do you like my style of there?

    and no matter how he tries to rationalize that salad-o-philiosophic murmur...
    I'll type louder.

    I am a retarded...
    No you're not, you're just special.

    "We are lovers of beauty without extravagance and of learning without loss of vigor." -Thucydides

    "The secret of Happiness is Freedom, and the secret of Freedom, Courage." -Thucydides

  26. #86
    Master of the Horse Senior Member Pindar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The base of Yggdrasil
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viking
    Generalization. Spot on!
    The blood of Norway always speak the truth!

    "We are lovers of beauty without extravagance and of learning without loss of vigor." -Thucydides

    "The secret of Happiness is Freedom, and the secret of Freedom, Courage." -Thucydides

  27. #87
    Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Yozgat
    Posts
    5,167

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pindar
    But, do you like my style of there?



    I'll type louder.



    No you're not, you're just special.
    Still speaking the wise-to-self. I have nothing more to say about this, I was obvious about what I thought. And it was quite predictable that I'd get replied in an ancient sense of humor. Ok, play on, some of us loves you for sure.

  28. #88
    Clan Silent Assassins Member Faust|'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    US
    Posts
    361

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    Quote Originally Posted by LeftEyeNine
    Still speaking the wise-to-self. I have nothing more to say about this, I was obvious about what I thought. And it was quite predictable that I'd get replied in an ancient sense of humor. Ok, play on, some of us loves you for sure.
    Just think of how he gets on irl. To me this makes his objectivity suspect, especially so with regards to herd mentality. Certainly someone who sees modern practicality in the philosophy of Plato above all other alternatives is ailing in the area of objectivity. Anyway, the plebe Socrates was the first bloody stool of a terminal Greek culture.

  29. #89
    Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    The dark side
    Posts
    5,383

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pindar
    Have you not seen polls where the absence of gah brought all sorts of invective and refusals to participate simply because it was missing? The judgment stands.
    In most cases they mean "why is there no 'other' option because none of the alternatives given apply to me". I can't find a single example of Gah protests when that wasn't the case.
    Under construction...

    "In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

  30. #90
    Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    ignores routers who aren't elite
    Posts
    2,554

    Default Re: Is Gah! inane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    I guess it's safe to say we shouldn't ask what Pindar thinks of the whole ninjas versus pirates thing. Plato didn't even know about ninjas and pirates, which just goes to show that Plato was a retard.
    Gah! Everybody knows that ninjas pwn pirates, cause ninjas are cool and by cool, I mean totally sweet.

    Good reasoning concerning Plato, though.

    Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO