Thread: Shogun Multiplayer Hosting

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Default Shogun Multiplayer Hosting

Shogun Multiplayer Hosting

Konnichiwa.

In this forum we've had many discussions about the problem of hosting games. Some of them became heated and members, including myself, became angry and agitated because there was no solution. Some could host games and some not, without any real indications on what the problem was. The efforts of many remained fruitless.

I have recently, since running the fakeserver, made some observations. My own problem is that I can't host games while I can host the fakeserver. This appeared so absurd to me that I started to test different settings with rather interesting results.
    I'm confident that I can now answer all questions related to the hosting issue.

Most of us know that Shogun uses two ports to connect to the internet.
    These ports are 8793 and 18321.
    A player who wants to connect to the Gameserver (or currently a fakeserver) needs to enable his computer to communicate over these ports. To conect to the server, port 8793 is needed. To host games 18321 is needed. (More details later)

There're however two obstacles that may prevent a connection.
    A firewall or a router.
    1. Software Firewalls, like the one that's integrated in Windows or Sygate or Kerio, are mostly application based. This means, they ask the user for permission if a certain program wants to establish an internet connection. So, if I want to connect to the server with Shogun, a message pops up from my firewall asking for permission. By allowing it and making a rule of it (check the "remember my decision" box) this problem is solved.
    My firewall, and other software firewalls, won't ask me again and will allow Shogun to communicate over the internet. Port numbers are not an issue in this case. This is the minor problem which can be easily fixed by either proper configuration or simply turning the firewall off when playing.

2. Routers, and we have experienced this with different models, generally seem to prevent game hosting.
    Why is this? Every time you connect to the internet via a router, the router gets an IP-address assigned by your Internet Provider. Your computer "hides" behind the router. It is not visible to other machines on the internet. But your computer also has an IP-address on its own. This is usually a fixed address, so that the router knows where to route/send communications for this computer. (Remember, a router provides the possibility to enable connections for several computers at the same time. Each of these computers has to have a unique address in this network behind the router, even if it's only one)
    This results in the fact that we have two different IP-addresses to deal with.
    The local one of your computer and the global one of your router.
    Now, when you connect to the server, the server will only see your global IP, that of the router. The server will tell other players' machines this IP. But it is the wrong one. Your router isn't hosting any games, your machine is.
    Even if you forward the necessary port 18321 it doesn't work. In my opinion this is either a peculiarity on Shogun's side or a bug in the fakeserver. Shogun was published in a time where routers where the exception, so I'm not blaming anyone.

So, how does it work?
    1. The easiest way to host, is to use a Win98 machine and a conventional modem. The modem will basically act like an extension of your computer. The difference to the router is, that the modem does not get an IP on its own. There's only one IP.
    You create a network connection in windows, enter your password and login-name and connect to the internet.You fire up Shogun, connect to the server and host a game. The server will tell people the one and only IP that you have and it should work.
    2. Since most of us have WinXP and a router, here's the howto for this setup:
    WinXP is itself not the optimal Operating system for Shogun, problems have been reported many times.
    Personally, I haven't encoutered any on my XP machine, so I'll concentrate on the router issue.

As mentioned above you need to make sure that you only have one IP-address that is visible on the internet and for other players. But, the whole purpose of a router is to mask the IP address of your machine.
    Nevertheless, most routers provide the possibility to be used like a modem. My router (FritzBox) offers two options:
    a) Use one Internet-connection for all computers. (All connected computers reach the internet over one common access connection which is established by the router itself, using the stored password and login).
    b) Use FritzBox (my router) as a DSL-modem (All connected computers establish their own connection with their own access-software.)

Option a) is useless for hosting because of the above mentioned issue with having two IP's. It is however the most common way to use a router.
    Option b) creates the situation which I described for the Win98 machine. The only IP you get assigned is the global one, visible by other players.

It's my understanding that any modern router, purchased in the last 2 years, should provide this option.
    I'm willing to discuss any router model that gives you problems.
    Please provide a link to the pdf-version of your model or tell me the models name and number.

My last test results were:
    1. When I host a LAN game, Shogun is listening on port 18321 for other players. I can see this in the firewall log.
    2. Playing on the fakeserver:
    2.1 When I use option a) I can connect to the server but my hosted game is invisible. In fact my firewall tells me that Shogun isn't hosting at all. It's not listening on port 18321.
    2.2. When I use option b) I can connect to the server and when I host a game, I can see how Shogun is listening on port 18321 for other players.

Since I tested all possible setups for my router and have in the last year learned very much about networking and routers, I'm confident that by using option b), as far as possible with your router model, all players should be able to host.

Last edited by R'as al Ghul; 04-18-2006 at 19:38.

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Default Re: Shogun Multiplayer Hosting

Stickied! With extra stickiness!

Thanks Sasaki,

is this understandable, or still too much techno-geek-speak?

Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by R'as al Ghul
    Thanks Sasaki,

is this understandable, or still too much techno-geek-speak?
    I understood it just fine. But then again I am a CS major.

Very nice job

Okay first request by DJChoppa.
    He uses a BT Voyager 2100 router.

Access to your router's interface.
    Click http://voyager.home to start your Internet browser and open the BT Voyager Configuration Manager.
    If this address does not work, try http://192.168.1.1 instead.
    You need to add a connection as outlined below. When you have access to the interface it's under Configuration Manager/Configuration/Internet.

This table should tell you what parameters to set when adding the new connection. You want the third column that reads "PPPoA no NAT"

Add this connection (and use it) and your router should work like a dial-up modem.
    This means only one IP and enables hosting.
    Remember, this is not the safest way to connect since you don't use the
    build in firewall called NAT, as explained in 1st post.

Hosting games should work now.

R'as

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drisos
    while my router is plugged out (connection through usb cable) and my firewall correctly configured (even tried with shuttin it off) I still can't host :(
    See above..

It might be an error on Sasaki's side.. I will try hosting a game with someone else in the foyer and see if it works.. If not, this is very weird.

Could the 'wireless connection to the router box' be blocking the game, instead of the router itself?
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

gah! I'm too stupid!

I think I found it.. and it's simple! wrong patch! I don't recall exactly, but I think some people tried it out sometime and found out people with different patches just don't see the game. Need to dig around in stw modification forum to be sure though.. the 1.02 seems disappeared from the totalwar.com sections.. I posted there asking them to place it back. meanwhile I tried via the mizu server and got a patch.. but it was for MI only, it seemed. not WE. I thought, all the same, who cares.. but it could be the cause of sasaki not seeing my game - what else could it have been?

gah! I missed games because of this

Shogun is a different game than Shogun Warlord Edition and each have different patches. Shogun uses the v1.12 patch. Shogun Warlord Edition uses the v1.02 patch.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Puzz,

I have WE. The patch I got was 1.02... but it was meant for the expansion pack.. the mongol invasion. now I'm not sure if that patch is the same as the 1.02 patch for WE.

The v1.02 works with Warlords Edition and the Shogun + Mongol Invasion expansion. The Mongol Invasion expansion turns Shogun into the same thing as the Warlords Edition. The Mongol Invasion expansion was never released in the USA. USA players had to buy the whole game again for $40 usd. I spent $30 on Shogun and then had to spend $40 on the Warlords Edition. Since the add-on modified Shogun, I had no choice but to buy the Warlords Edition since the two games are incompatible. Creative Assembly said they were going to make a compatibility patch for Shogun, but they never did.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 08-12-2006 at 15:57.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

hmmm. I will try hosting for someone else as soon I as I can. but if that fails as well, this is a really weird situation.. no router no firewall - still no hosting

hey nobody plays shogun or is a computer problem please respond

Quote Originally Posted by denispycer
    do you like play shogun ??? im connected all the day
    Hallo denis,

Your PM box is full, so I'm answering here.
    Yes I do like to play Shogun, if time permits it.
    I also host the fakeserver and havne't seen you connected. Please make sure you've got the right connection details as pointed out in "New Multiplayer fakeserver".
    To make appointments for games you best post in "I'm in the foyer now". Both threads are to be found in the Shogun MP forum.
    You will have realized by now that the Shogun community is really small, with about 10 active players. Most of them won't connect to the lobby if they don't expect anyone particular. It's no use to connect like you do in Medieval, where there're always people in the lobby. You may end up waiting for hours without seeing anyone.
    It will also help to post your timezone/location in "I'm in the foyer now".
    The most active member is Drisos, he can also help to meet people.

Good Luck.

R'as

R'as is right sadly. Shogun multiplayer has only a few players left so is very quiet.

You already managed to log in right? That's nice. Some people have some trouble with it..

Well, could I have your msn adress? (if you have one, of course) if you don't mind, please add me, that is: d r i s o s _ s t w @ h o t m a i l . c o m

but of course without the spaces.

I hope we can catch up for some games some time soon