Red face Fatimid caliphat

hi all this's a unit list of fatimid:
    FATIMID
    INFANTRY
    -saracen warriors:(swordman)
    -Nubian Spearman:
    -berber infantry:light infantry
    -caliph's guard:
    -nizaris:fanatic's the disciple of a caliphat "nizar" i think we can make them like ghazis infantry (medieval total war I).
    -Saracen Infantry:(heavy infantry,wepons:long spear,large shield,armored chain mail)
    -muslim militia(palissa skinned it)

CAVALRY
    -beduin cavalry (medium cavalry,weapon:spear sword,shield: round shield,maybe we can add armor)
    -arab Cavalry (medium cavalry ,weapon:bows and sword ,shield: round shield,chain mail) like al andalus and almoravides
    -Nubian cavalry (light cavalry,missile cavalry,shield animal shield,weapon:javeline)
    -kinanah arab cavalry: heavy cavalry good moral;weapons:long spear,large shield they were employed by the fatimid (and later the ayyubids)
    -berber cavlry:pursuit cavalry(sword and round shield fast)
    -mameluks cavalry:royal cavalry

SKIRMISH
    -saracen archers(heavy archer,desciplined,weapon:bows,sword;shield:small round shield)
    -nubian javelineman(bonus piercing armors)
    -Ashashin(fanatics,weapon:bows,sword,heavly armored,round shield)
    critics are wellcome.
    and unit list of abassides after 2 days.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Default Re: Fatimid caliphat

Hm... do we really have a fatimid faction? Did we decide to replace Great Moravia with the fatimids? Afaik we only have Abbassids and Al-Andalus+Almoravids... I'm a bit confused...
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

i think that we talk about fatimid and you decided to add it,for almoravides and al andalus is the same faction but u unlock some units when almoravides apear.(almoravides replace alandalus),but no probleme if you want add great moravia.maybe i was wrong i didn't understand.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...=48793&page=15

ok, actually I don't think we ever made up our mind, but now that I think about it it seems like the best option to have the fatimids faction, so unless edyz protests I think we should have them included after all.

The unit list seems good btw
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

I don't protest. We haven't even decided yet, because it also depends on our skinning/modelling power.

For the moment, I suggest working on the faction which has the least number of units.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

The problem with Great Moravia is that I can't find any info about them at all, and nobody seems willing to help getting research for it. So I think fatimids are better, because there's more research available thanks to almazor's help
    Under construction...

Earl Of Warwick/Wannabe Tuareg Member beauchamp's Avatar
    Minneapolis, Minnesota/Kaltenbach, Tiroll

Im totally for another Islamic Faction, its just that it might be difficult to find certain units etc. Also, I don't think the Nizars were working with the Fatimids. The Ghazi infantry should work fine.

Ya Misr!

I agree on fatimid, because i have already more than half of the units done...
    Can provide pictures for some of those units?
    I am not great at imagining how can be a fatimid...

Ill correct myself. They had Nizars because they were Shi'a. This means that the much beloved and most awsome Hashishin worked under their rule. Their capitol was Cairo, and their empire streched from Maraketch to Mecca and Damascus. It even included Sicily. This faction will mostly include Ghazi soldiers (fanatical infantry) and Mamluk's (eventually the Mamluk's take power etc. etc.). If I may be so bold to Let me stress again the length of their empire, it goes from Morocco to Mecca and Damascus, I think it would a crime to not include these guys.

(a RARE manuscrpit of Fatimid soldiers)

This is a good site with Osprey like pictures:
    http://www.dbaol.com/armies/army_118_figure_1.htm

Anyway, thats my 2 cents. Call on me if help is wanted...
    Last edited by beauchamp; 04-21-2006 at 17:42.

Ya Misr!

Default Re : Re: Fatimid caliphat

Al-Aziz (955–996) (Arabic: العزيز بالله) was the fifth Caliph of the Fatimids (975–996).
    Abu l-Mansur Nizar al-Aziz acceded to the Caliphate with the help of Jawhar as-Siqilli. Under Al-Aziz the Fatimid Empire stretched as far as Palestine and Syria (from 977/978). Mecca and Medina also acknowledged the suzerainty of the Fatimids.
    The reign of Al-Aziz was culturally significant. His grand Vizir Yaqub ibn Killis 979-991 founded the al-Azhar University in Cairo (988) which went on to become the most important centre of learning in the Islamic world. Likewise a library with 200,000 volumes was built in Cairo.
    Al-Aziz died on the 13th October 996. His son Al-Hakim bi-Amr Allah (996-1021) succeed him as Caliph.after his the nizaris sect(shia sect) apear:
    The Nizārī (Arabic النزاريون) are a sect of Sevener Ismā'īlī Shīˤa Islām.

The Nizāriyya differ from the Sevener Mustaˤliyya in that they believe that the successor-Imām to the Fatimid caliph al-Mustansir was his elder son an-Nizār. However, the Fatimid Regent appointed al-Mustansir's younger son al-Mustaˤlī as caliph and as a result, an-Nizār died in prison when he attempted to claim the throne by rebellion.
    One (in)famous group of Nizāriyya were the "Assassins" of Alamūt under the leadership of Dāˤī Hassan as-Sabbaħ ((c. 1034-1124)).
    The current Nizārī Imām is His Highness The Prince Aga Khan IV, Mowlana Shah Karim al-Hussayni Hazir Imam.

i add nizaris because they were shia and ghazis are sunni,i think i will add ghazy to abassides.

maybe this can be a help:

http://www.geocities.com/hoplongr/FATIMID_DYNASTYi.htm

a nice variety of infantry, I might say.

fatimid appear in tunisia after they move to egypt and they built cairo,before that the berbers were the major power in the fatimids armies,but after the moving to egypt the number of arabs and nubians increased and we found armenians and slavs. i don't know if we must add another berbers units or nubians like abyssinians guards?
    Last edited by almazor; 04-23-2006 at 22:19.

I would add nubians, not berbers. They kind of drift from any form of berber heritage and assimiliate into the Arab world.

Ya Misr!

ok iwill think of it,2more unit of them and 1 for berbers.