Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tutorial: Converting a Roman Faction to a Different Culture

Default Re: Tutorial: Converting a Roman Faction to a Different Culture

The faction line is right under the faction line. Perhaps you accidentally deleted it. For Parthia it should read:

Code:
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

faction						parthia
    culture						eastern
    symbol						models_strat/symbol_parthia.CAS
    rebel_symbol				models_strat/symbol_eastern_rebel.CAS
    primary_colour				red 168, green 62, blue 154
    secondary_colour			red 0, green 0, blue 0
    loading_logo				loading_screen/symbols/symbol128_parthia.tga
    standard_index				8
    logo_index					243
    small_logo_index			255
    triumph_value				5
    intro_movie					fmv/intros/eastern_intro_640x480_bars.wmv
    victory_movie				fmv/victory/eastern_outro_320x240.wmv
    defeat_movie				fmv/lose/parthia_eliminated.wmv
    death_movie					fmv/death/death_parthia_sand_320x240.wmv
    custom_battle_availability	yes
    can_sap						yes
    prefers_naval_invasions		no
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    The truth is the most valuable thing we have. Let us economize it. - Mark Twain

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

Zain your descr_sm_factions looks like one from patch 1.2 not 1.5.

Which patch are you meant to be using? I'd recommend 1.5 unless you have a good reason not to use that, as I think it fixed some bugs and is probably a bit more flexible about what you can do to it as well.

If you are using 1.2 I'm not sure where, how or if you can change the culture of a faction!
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

I've updated the tutorial to describe how to remove the Senate Offices button. I've also added acknowledgements to wlesmana for pointing out the problem and to Makanyane for verifying that the offending button disappears if the romans_senate faction is renamed.

I'm embarrassed to say that, in spite of reading her post several times, I had failed to realize she had verified a solution to the problem, uh, over three months ago.

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

Haha, I suppose I'm going to have to update... can I keep the modded files or do I have to reinstall to get the patch to work?

Best to start from scratch after installing 1.5.

I r guy who gun t33ch u lss0n Member Maxinius Scipio's Avatar

I'm having a little trouble.

I copied the unit card and unit card info for hoplites into the romans_julii folder, but it still shows up as a gray peasant. Is there something else I need to do?

Btw, thanks for making this guide.
    "Did you like the performance?"

- Augustus Caesar's last words

If you're following the guide precisely, the unit card file needs to be copied to the newly created ROMANS_BRUTII folder. If you're giving ownership of this unit to the julii, I need more information.

(I know that, but I was also trying to make hoplites available for the julii.)

So far, I made hoplites available for the julii in custom battles, added everything I needed to add in export_descr_battle, and copied the unit info and the unit card, but it still shows up as a gray peasant. I'm not sure what I did wrong, I followed everything it said to do in the guide when making units available for factions that don't already have them.

check your spelling ...

also make sure the folders are where they should;
    data\ui\units\romans_julii
    data\ui\unit_info\romans_julii

also note the "#" in front of the unitcards label ...

G

Quote Originally Posted by Maxinius Scipio
    So far, I made hoplites available for the julii in custom battles, added everything I needed to add in export_descr_battle, and copied the unit info and the unit card, but it still shows up as a gray peasant.
    I'm confused about your mention of export_descr_battle. There should be no need to do anything to that file for a custom battle that you choose armies for every time you play one. Do you mean you are saving a battle in the same manner as the historical battles included with the game?

No, all I'm trying to do is make hoplites available for the julii on the campaign map and in custom battles. The only problem is that the hoplites keep showing up as gray peasants, and I know I copied the unit card and the unit info into the julii folder.

Attilus:
    Can I just eliminate the brutii and scipii? I've tried to do this and tried to leave the Senate in, but no-go. I've updated all the descr_regions, EDU and EDB and changed all references for the Scipii and Brutii to Julii. All I get is a CTD.

OK,
    I got it to work. Apparently, even though I gave the two southern cities to the Greek-Cities and changed the generals names to ones from the greek_cities names list, it didn't like thoses. So I gave two different names and the game loaded up fine.

I've got the julii and the senate controlling south of the Po River, and greek-cities have Croton and Tarentum. Scipii and Brutii are removed. Interestingly, I do get messages and interaction with the Senate with only one Roman faction, which is what I wanted. I guess that means it's not hard-coded to where the senate must have 3 roman factions to control.

Pardon the late response, I rarely hang out here these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by GaiusJulius
    Scipii and Brutii are removed. Interestingly, I do get messages and interaction with the Senate with only one Roman faction, which is what I wanted. I guess that means it's not hard-coded to where the senate must have 3 roman factions to control.
    Yes, that's what I've observed. It's just that I've preferred to use all the available faction slots for something.

does this method also apply to BI? because i was trying to aff a faction that one of the mod team removed but i keep failing when its in the loading screen after i press the icon of BI

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

The principles should be the same - could you explain in more detail what you're trying to do?

Are you trying to add back a faction that was removed? I'm not sure if problem is necessarily related to this tutorial - it might be better to start a thread in modding questions about your problem.
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

Hi, i followed your tutorial, and the game doesn't crashes.
    I tried to convert the Scipii to a new faction like the gauls: The Arveni.
    Althouhg i can start the campaign, and the units look good on the battle map, the unit cards do not appear in the campaign map, neither can i recruit gallic units, or build their buildings...

Correction:
    I can train both Gallic and Roman units.
    And can only build Roman Building...
    Can this be caused by the fact that my cities start with Roman buildings? I'm going to change the starting buildings to gallic, and see what changes (or not)...
    Didn't solve the unit cards problem either...

UPDATE:
    Can now build Gallic Buildings, train Gallic units, units look good on battle map.
    But the cards still all look like peasants...

Quote Originally Posted by nomadewolf View Post
    UPDATE:
    Can now build Gallic Buildings, train Gallic units, units look good on battle map.
    But the cards still all look like peasants...
    Did you miss this step below? You need to do it for every unit which was not originally recruitable by the faction you are re-using:

Now we copy the unit card and unit information card for the general's bodyguard unit. Go to Data\packs\DATA\UI\UNIT_INFO\GREEK_CITIES. Copy the file GREEK_GENERALS_GUARD_CAVALRY_EARLY_INFO.TGA and paste it into the new folder Data\UI\UNIT_INFO\ROMANS_BRUTII. Now got to Data\packs\DATA\UI\UNITS\GREEK_CITIES, copy #GREEK_GENERALS_GUARD_CAVALRY_EARLY.TGA, and paste it into Data\UI\UNITS\ROMANS_BRUTII.

This is in the section "Make Greek Units Recruitable by the Syracusans", and of course you'll need to substitute the proper unit and faction names.

Quote Originally Posted by Atilius View Post
    Did you miss this step below? You need to do it for every unit which was not originally recruitable by the faction you are re-using:

Now we copy the unit card and unit information card for the general's bodyguard unit. Go to Data\packs\DATA\UI\UNIT_INFO\GREEK_CITIES. Copy the file GREEK_GENERALS_GUARD_CAVALRY_EARLY_INFO.TGA and paste it into the new folder Data\UI\UNIT_INFO\ROMANS_BRUTII. Now got to Data\packs\DATA\UI\UNITS\GREEK_CITIES, copy #GREEK_GENERALS_GUARD_CAVALRY_EARLY.TGA, and paste it into Data\UI\UNITS\ROMANS_BRUTII.

This is in the section "Make Greek Units Recruitable by the Syracusans", and of course you'll need to substitute the proper unit and faction names.
    The only step i missed (that i'm aware of) is the step of changing the culture (descr_sm_factions.txt or export_sm_factions.txt or somthing like that). But after i've done that step i was able to build gallic buildings, although the unit cards still showed peasants...

I was able to make the unit cards look as they should, but i had to repack with the new files in ui_2.pak (install_dir\Data\Packs folder).
    But now, are the rebel unit cards that don't show properly...

Quote Originally Posted by Rand al'Thor View Post
    I followed this tutorial and when i try to start the game it crashes .
    I'm not blaming u I'm just saying that i'm frustrated because I don't understand why. Can u help in any way? Don't worry about it i'll probably get it working myself anyway. Good tutorial.
    When you take the faction out of the ownership line make sure you replace it with something like slaves or when you play the game gets stuck on the loading screen
    Thracian

Great tutorial!
    When the camel {S}thinks,it is time to leave the oassis!

I have renamed the senate internally to Epirus and now I am getting this error at startup:

Does anyone know what I did wrong?
    BTW, this is the line in question:
    ##standard_julii.tga
    {
    romans_julii ##standard_julii.tga
    romans_brutii ##standard_brutii.tga
    romans_scipii ##standard_scipii.tga
    epirus ##standard_senate.tga
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Ok, my mistake. It was just a stupid typo. Now that I fixed it however I am having problems with the faction icon not appearing, and the game crashing whenever I start up a campaign or try to play as them. Any ideas what I did wrong? To the best of my knowledge I did not change any file paths.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

It seems that I can start a campaign as anyone but them, and it will not crash unless I hover the mouse over the missing space where their icon should be in the campaign menu or hover my mouse over their settlements in the game. Their faction icon shows up in the diplomacy screen though, and I can click on it without a crash. I could really use some help here, because hours later I still cannot figure out what I did wrong.

I fixed it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12