Thread: Campaign: how often do you quit?

I've been playing for about a month, and I'm curious if you campaign-players ever make such a drastic mistake that it costs you too much--and you just say, "Oh, bugger--I can't recover from this point--I'll just start again."

Good gravy--that was all one sentence.

--Mr. Atomic Pants

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

I play at Expert level in Campaign and find that only a few things make the game end that way. Playing as Oda is one of them. A series of disastrous harvests is another.

Finding myself so far behind in production results from either lack of funds or having too large a front to cover. Most often I'll quit because the last Daimyo has stubbormly insisted that he could turn a bad battle around and died, leaving a huge ronin horde.

------------------
    Wind fells blossoms, rain
    fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

I do it every time when I see a Hojo horde coming at me.

------------------
    A great warrior never reveal his true skills....
    A great warrior rarely reveal his true skills....

"Never give up! Never surrender!"

I'll spare you the story of my victorious Uesugi campaign in which I was down to 2 provinces left and had lost all my troop production facilities.

Gregoshi
    A Member of Clan Doragon
    This space intentionally left blank

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

I've only quit a campaign a few times. Once way the obvious "Your Daimyo has been assassinated, and you have no heirs..." which, obviously, means I wasn't playing the Imagawa clan! The other was when two Daimyos died (Hojo and Uesugi)within the same year, and Oda inherited all thier lands and subsequently half of Japan. There was no way to turn things back, so.....
    but in the event I wind up facing a Ronin horde that runs half the map and it's going to be a long un-fun slog, I just use the auto-calculate until the hordes get more manageable (only done this twice).

I agree with Tenchimuyo. When I see an unstoppable Horde I quit. Unless I fell like taking a lot of punishment. But usually I just don't see the point in fighting the near unstoppable Horde, so I start over again, hoping that those pansy-asses in the east can keep fighting amongst themselves.

The horde is not unstoppable. An experienced player is better than any AI Taisho. So you can defeat him on the battlefield and drive him off before reinforcements arrive. If the horde is in one province you can take the surrounding provinces and then defeat him in the province where the horde resides. Poof, horde all gone.

For those who quit when you see the horde try to beat it once. It can take awhile to build up enough forces but it's a fun challenge.

All your base are belong to us

I'm with edRonin in that a Horde doesn't really intimidate me. Rout his vanguard, and his horde never even makes it to the battlefield. Cut off his lines of retreat, and most of his army will never even see combat. They just disappear into the country side and become peasants.

Instead of quitting a game, I tend to use two or three different save games. That way I can just jump back in time a few years, and try a different strategy. Things will often turn out very different if you simply move a few units differently, or have a slightly different building queue.

-- B)

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

I agree with those posters in saying the Horde is not a game-killer. Just an obstacle.

The Hordes I face usually wind up being led by Taisho with more losses than wins in battle. The worst Horde (and the one that I lose to) is the early Horde created by a quick collapse of Uesugi to Hojo. That usually leads to my inferior armies winning every battle til they collapse from attrition. Once a single army is broken my entire holdings are wide open (crust defense).

------------------
    Wind fells blossoms, rain
    fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

Member Member Katasaki Hirojima's Avatar

Well,I haven't quit much.Right now,I'm takeing a extended break from my Mori Campaign because its deadlocked.Uesugi can't break my hold on Mino,and Imagawa can't take me outta Nagato..but..I can't fight back a constant flood of Uesugi Archers with my Warrior Monks(*L*Ironic how all the AIs start churning Archers when the human plays Mori)

Any suggestions on how to break a deadlock?I know it'd take one hella of a brilliant advance..or a geisha..but all my money just gos to takeing on Uesugi,much less build ANYTHING.

------------------
    "I maintain none the less that Yin-Tang Dualism can bo overcome.With sufficent enlightment,we can give substance to any distinction:Mind without body,north without south,pleasure without pain.Renember,enlightment is a function of will power,not of physical strength."-Shang-ji Yang,essays on mind and matter.
    I maintain none the less that Yin-Yang Dualism can be overcome. With sufficent enlightment, we can give substance to any distinction: Mind without body, north without south, pleasure without pain. Renember, enlightment is a function of will power, not of physical strength.- Shang-ji Yang

I am still playing my first campaign, since I purchased the game a week or so ago. Since I was learning the game while playing, I have horrible infrastructure. Ports that provide no movement advantage, things like that. I was about to quit and start over when I killed the Hojo Diamyo and he had no more heirs. So now I have lots of rebels but haven't quit yet.

------------------
    Being killed is bad.
    Being killed is bad.

I usually quite the game and start a new campaign when the last enemy Daimyo dies. When this happens, the game is decided because rebels and ronins don't play coordinated.
    The appearance of the Hojo horde (or any other) is rather discouraging. Some people say that is possible to defeat hordes, and it's true. I did it several times playing Shimazu and Mori at normal level, once at hard but never at expert.
    Anyway, I never quite until I am completely died, one can inherit the lands from an allied clan in the last moment.

quitting the campaign when confronted with the hojo horde is reasonable; there really is no way to win when hojo has ten castles, minimum, pumping out units each turn and you've got maybe half that. No matter how mnay times you win, you're still taking losses that he can replace much more quickly (even at a ratio of 6 to 1 kills in your favor per battle) I've tired of blunting my blade against the horde so many times, especially in the early days of STW, that now when this happens (and it usually does when I'm playing Shimazu or Mori) I opt for the port attack just to speed things up.

Personally I quit when I'm un-stoppable, I enjoy the challange of the early game.

Also, I like the Horde (I have meet an Oda Horde - but i think he inherited it from Hojo), this is one of the few campain games in which there is a challenge in the end game (depending on whom you play as).

I agree with soly in that I only use the port cheat(feature?) against the Horde.

Haveing said all that i have yet to win coming from the west on expert, but i have a new plan involving alliences and ninjas.

I did quit once when as Uesugi I killed Hojo in the first battle, sending his lands to takada, then takada attacked me shinano and died, sending Hojo's and his lands to Imagawa, who attacked me the next turn (also in shinano) and also died sending all of Hojo's, Takada's and his land's to Oda. I tried a couple of turns but my fate was sealed.

------------------
    Do not attempt to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sort.
    Do not attempt to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sort.

I posted a thread on here a while back detailing the uses of ninja and how I won without ever fighting a single battle against other clans, simply using ninjas and alliances. Needless to say, I was playing as the Imagawa.

That sounds cool Soly. I will have to try the ninja/alliance method sometime.

Instead of using the port bug to beat the Horde gather enough troops to punch through his lines and go careening those his undefended provinces. It's more honorable than the port bug and has the same effect. Don't bother to hold any on the provinces. Go around conquering them which will downgrade or destroy the buildings in his castles and then move onto the next province that can produce troops. You might want to hold onto the more koku rich provinces eventually and reinforce your armys through a port. You now have two fronts open against the AI Daimyo and you have him in a tough position.

------------------

Hit and run. Sounds like a good strategy.

------------------
    A great warrior never reveal his true skills....
    A great warrior rarely reveal his true skills....

Atomic Pants -You wouldn't happen to be from GB would you?