Thread: GSK letters

Default GSK letters

Am I the only one who feels revolted by the threatening letters which are being delivered to all Glaxo-Smith Kline shareholders? The animal rights activists are overstepping the line a bit here...

Besides the whole argument against animal-testing for drugs is flawed but that's a separate issue...

I own noobs

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Default Re: GSK letters

Are you just trying to blow off some steam or do you want to start an actual discussion here.
    If the latter is the case, some more background information might be helpful

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

I don't know what this is about, do you have an article?

i dislike the whole extreme end of the animal rights campaigners (prob spelt that wrong) as it has lead to deaths etx, so its already past the makr, but the threatening letters are terrible

Humbled Father Member Duke of Gloucester's Avatar

Does this help?

bbc article
    We all learn from experience. Unfortunately we don't all learn as much as we should.

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec
    I don't know what this is about, do you have an article?

Glaxo investors get threat letter

Police are investigating threatening letters sent by animal rights extremists to small investors in drugs giant GlaxoSmithKline (GSK).

GSK said at least 50 shareholders were threatened with having their details posted on the internet if they did not sell their shares within 14 days.

The threats came from the Campaign Against Huntingdon Life Sciences.

Activists have targeted animal testing firm Huntingdon Life Sciences and its business partners for years.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4753333.stm

Edit: Beaten to it.
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

I agree with the protesters , the companies should stop testing drugs on animals and test them on the protesters instead .

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tribesman
    I agree with the protesters , the companies should stop testing drugs on animals and test them on the protesters instead .
    Nah, the results wouldn't be generalisable to humans.

This is a tip of a major problem. In principle, it is good thing that share registers, lists of directors and so on are publicly available. there are lots of letigimate uses for us data, and god knows companies need a close eye kept on them. The trouble is that a very small number of protestors are compromising the availablility of all of this data.

Small case in point: my firm recently underwent a reorganisation that required all the partners details to go on a public register (I'll spare you the details). we don't actually work for pharma companies, but we do do some work for universities, and we do do some work for the NHS connected with drug appraisals. So, against the off chance that we might come to the attention of these people, we applied for, and easily got, a confidentiality order. This is happening all over the place.

What I really don't understand is why it is so difficult to put a stop to this. If there are as many as 15 people in the country organising the violent protests I'd be surprised. What do special branch actually do all day?
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

As someone who works in the Pharmaceutical business, let me add my twopennorth.

What really, really winds me up about animal protestors is that they are barking up the wrong tree, if you'll pardon the pun.

Pharma companies test their drugs on animals because it is a Legal Requirement. They would love to not have to do it - it costs them a fortune

So all these animal protestors should really be petitioning the governments of the world on this issue. As for the rights/wrongs/effectiveness of animal testing, I'm not even going there
    "I request permanent reassignment to the Gallic frontier. Nay, I demand reassignment. Perhaps it is improper to say so, but I refuse to fight against the Greeks or Macedonians any more. Give my command to another, for I cannot, I will not, lead an army into battle against a civilized nation so long as the Gauls survive. I am not the young man I once was, but I swear before Jupiter Optimus Maximus that I shall see a world without Gauls before I take my final breath."

Senator Augustus Verginius

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You work for Pharma? What do you do? I'm thinking / hoping to join in about 3 years time.

Anyhoo, back to the topic in hand:

Animal testing was started early last century in america after a new eyeliner called Lash Lure in fact had the unknown side effect of causing blindness and some deaths. Well, it was made from crude coal tar derivatives

Companies follow the laws. If you want them changed, ask the government!

I feel that more testing on prisoners would be a damn good idea. Make 'em do something useful with their (massively curtailed) lives. Failing that, people are going to die from human trials, and more from the drug released on the market. IMO that's not acceptable. More work is being done to improve in vitro models but they are currently simply not good enough.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill