Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Play By Email Multiplayer/Hot Seat Campaign - Release

The Ultimate Grand Inquisitor! Member UltraWar's Avatar

Default Re: Play By Email Multiplayer/Hot Seat Campaign - Release

romans_julii is before romans_scipii in the faction list... try reversing their positions you have generated them in...

Ok well the script I showed was done by typing in romans_julii then romans_scipii. I tried it with the reverse and it did the same thing. Really weird, can't understand why it wont work.
    Last edited by Silvrhelm; 06-23-2006 at 19:33.

Hello @ first and @ all.
    I got the same problem... I tried it in different ways and suddenly it works (with these two factions)
    It works fine with all other factions... the romans seem to cause most of the problems.
    But this mod is fantastic! Thank you Myrddraal I've been looking for one like this from the first time on I played Total War (it was Medieval)!

Please ignore mistakes with the english as long as you know what I want to say.

Something else: Me and my friend are playing Hot seat! He is egypt and I'm parthia! Works fine but when he's setting his bills up this is changed automatically at his next turn and setted very low again! How to cahnge this?
    What is about diplomacy? His diplomat goes to me, makes some offerts and I'm not able to say yes or no... the AI is deciding it! Could I change this?
    Last edited by K(n)ackzwerg; 06-28-2006 at 10:05.

I have got it working with Gauls and Britons but not with any combination of the romans. Must be a bug of some sort, has anyone got romans working?

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Something else: Me and my friend are playing Hot seat! He is egypt and I'm parthia! Works fine but when he's setting his bills up this is changed automatically at his next turn and setted very low again! How to cahnge this?
    Do you mean he has lost money? I'm a bit confused.

I have got it working with Gauls and Britons but not with any combination of the romans. Must be a bug of some sort, has anyone got romans working?
    Yes people have got it working. All I can suggest is to try again being careful of the turn order. Have you edited descr_strat at all?

Ahh no I haven't. Just had a look through the posts again and i saw you said you were ment to What do you need to change in it?

You don't have to unless you want to change the turn order (although to be safe I recommend you make all factions playable)

Ok well I haven't changed anything in that file. I only have the 3 roman factions, gaul and britons playable, but as I only want 2 roman factions that shouldn't matter should it? I have made the change to the Total War\data\export_descr_advice.txt file and used the script generator to create the file shown a few posts back. Like I said, it works fine going from the first faction to the second but then closes down loading up the first faction again.
    I have narrowed it down to when it wants to load. For every turn except the first when you load, by either using ctrl-L or by selecting quick load from the menu, the game shuts down. You can open it up again and open up the quick save and it will be on the next faction and everything would be fine, until you try to load the next faction again. This is playing Hot-seat btw.

No he is not loosing money but his settings changed back after loading his new turn. Example: Turn 1(my friend): he's setting the bills up in Memphis. Ends his round.
    turn 1 (me): Im playing whatever.
    turn 2 (my friend):he's checking his cities and the bills in memphis are setted low again.

He gets the money as normal as every time but it is very unpleasent (don't know a better word) to change the bills in 20 regions every round because sometimes he just forgott something or it costs a lot of time.

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by "setting up the bills" K(n)ackzwerg...

The Ultimate Grand Inquisitor! Member UltraWar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal
    I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by "setting up the bills" K(n)ackzwerg...
    I think he means "taxes"

DOH! I don't want to make you scared! ;-)
    Yes I meant the taxes. Sorry.
    Oo

great stuff, thank you alot for making this, seems to be working fine for me with blue lotus, will give it a proper test this weekend.
    one issue i noticed on install like someone was saying the help thing can seem to not appear after clicking the question mark in the top right corner, it took me a while to figure it out but this still happens before any steps have been taken with the multiplayer process, it seemed to be something to do with the patching process to me, i reinstalled rome made a copy of the folder, patched to 1.5 then ran it and tryed clicking the question mark and still no help appeared, so i tryed running a unpatched copyed version and this ran the help as it should, so i then did the steps above again but on the unpatched version this time and it all worked, when i clicked the questionmark the help appeared and the rest from there worked fine. (thats the best i can explain it sry) (also blue lotus requires patch 1.5 but i had no problems with the help not apearing with that)

Hi!
    I got a question, how do I make some factions AI-controlled?

*bump*

No one can help me?

Joohoo, when you run the script how many players are you choosing?

I have another weird problem, on about the 3rd or 4th turn, after hitting end turn instead of the AI just playing through like the last 3 turns and showing "Save successfull" it just pauses on an AI faction and refuses to move.

I am playing as Seleucids and my brother is Macedon, him going first as in the desc file.

It worked fine for the last 3 turns but now it just pauses and won't continue.

Awsome job anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Question
    Joohoo, when you run the script how many players are you choosing?
    I can choose who many players that is playing?
    How?

When you run the script from the downloadable on the first page, unzip that then run the program. It will ask for amount of players, then factions which you need to put in order they appear in the desc file.

e.g.

number of players? 2

Factions

macedon seleucid

They have to be in the order that they appear in the desc file

Question and Joohoo, welcome to the .org

@Question I really don't know what's causing that freeze. Try playing that turn again...

Thanks man, awsome mod by the way.

I think it was a problem with my PC after a restart it was working fine again.

Been playing quite alot with it and it seems to be working fine otherwise.

Thank you, oh great mod creator. :)

@Myrddraal

Will your script work with Rome Total Realism (patch 1.5, and/or 1.6)?

I believe the script doesn`t work when the game also includes the 4 turns per year script. Is this correct?
    Last edited by Christianus; 08-03-2006 at 16:08.
    Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.
    - Σιμωνίδης ὁ Κεῖος

Hmm, to be honest I'm not sure, but I think you're right, it may not work with another background script. You'd have to copy the code from the multiplayer script into the RTR code and re-run the RTR script.

Hi! Where is that RTR code? What do you mean by re-run the RTR script? Do you mean to re-run it just like one usually does, and both scripts gets ignited at the same time?

This mod is realy a must! You wouldn`t want to incorporate it for RTR Platinum? I believe almost all mods use the 4tpy now... In RTR the most well done 4tpy script is the Marcus Camillus 1.92. (You probably know that anyway)

Are you interested in doing this?

Here is a link to the current forum while the usual forum is closed due to maintenance:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Hope im not giving you to much info about things you already know:) I realy raly want to play this mod! And Im sure that a lot of other RTR fans want to do that as well.
    Last edited by Christianus; 08-08-2006 at 10:09.
    - Σιμωνίδης ὁ Κεῖος

BATTLES!?

I haven't tried this yet, because it's a big job to set up on LAN. but will if battles are possible, common sense says hotseat battles won't work - but do multiplayer ones work? like real 3d battles against each other over the campaign?

Hi there Christianus.

In RTR the most well done 4tpy script is the Marcus Camillus 1.92. (You probably know that anyway)
    I did know that. Marcus' script is an expanded version of my basic script (he uses the advisor to announce the season, and there's tons of other stuff there too)

I'm not keen on 'incorporating' this mod into any other release. It can be installed in combination with any mod if you are determined. If people would like to release a 'RTR multiplayer pack' which would be a script combining my MP script with the RTR script, then feel free, but I'd rather it was a seperate release, principally associated with my mod, not RTR.

This may seem harsh and quite different from my usual 'free use' attitude. I don't hold it against Marcus Camillus, but I was disappointed when I saw the re-branding of what represented a lot of work for me as 'Marcus Camillus's 4tpy mod'. I've sorted that with Marcus myself, and there's a lot more to his script than there in my basic code, but nontheless I'd rather not see that happen to the MP script.

What do you mean by re-run the RTR script? Do you mean to re-run it just like one usually does, and both scripts gets ignited at the same time?
    That is what I meant, but I don't think it'll work. It would be better to Copy/Paste the code generated by my script-gen into the RTR script and run the RTR script as you usually do.

Hi there junkmonk.

I never got around to implementing battles so at the moment battles must be auto-resolved. The method I had in mind for implementing battles is to export the battle as a historical battle, share the historical battle files, play the battle of LAN or internet, then re-import the results by the use of a script. If someone wants to help me continue the development of this, I need help on these programming aspects: Communication between the computers and automated transfer of files, and extracting information from the save files (something which has been done before).

Pardon about the 4tpy. I believe I heard you where the inventor. I believe you get the credit, cause most RTW fans must know about some of your work. But I think its strange that not more people use the hotseat script that looks so "sweet!"... Anyhow,

But Is It OK if I try to implement the Hotseat script in RTR for my own use only then? I know almost nothing about modding, so I wouldn`t be able to make a mod for the "fans" anyway, but I can play around a little bit with the files. Can you tell me what files I should try to modify, so I can start my research? If I have your approval ofcourse! My goal would be to recreate some of the historical events both in the Roman Empire, the greeks and Parthia in the same game as I am a history geek:p

Thank you for your time and previous answers Myrddraal! I appreciate It very much.

Edit: Guess there is only that text in C:\HotSeatScript.txt that needs to be implemented. But to what file? export_descr_advice.txt? In the 4tpy Advice tread? Bottom or top of the 4tpy AdviceThread maybe?
    Last edited by Christianus; 08-09-2006 at 00:48.
    - Σιμωνίδης ὁ Κεῖος

I'm not sure which file contains the script for RTR. It should be found under data/script/show_me but I don't know the file name

Copy the main body the text (without the first and last line and without the while loop) from my file to the RTR file. Feel free to release the files if you want, but please don't re-brand it as your own - cheers.

Thank you Myrddraal! Im not advanced enough to release anything, Its just for my own use, and a friend of mines use. If I would realease anything (probably wont happen anyway) I will give you the credit;)

I will try to make it work, but Im not very sure I can do It.

Thank you for your good help Myrddraal!

Cheers:)
    - Σιμωνίδης ὁ Κεῖος

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Wink Re: Play By Email Multiplayer/Hot Seat Campaign - Release

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal
    Yes people have got it working. All I can suggest is to try again being careful of the turn order. Have you edited descr_strat at all?
    For why you didnt pack all the files into a zip file and then they unzip in the campaign folder or where they are need and maybe, can the program work

sorry for my bad english, i dont speak english very well

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast