Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Play By Email Multiplayer/Hot Seat Campaign - Release

Default Re: Play By Email Multiplayer/Hot Seat Campaign - Release

Is it possible to make the quicksave un-reloadable?
    To prventing cheating.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

If I understand correctly, you want to know why I don't make a zip file availiable which you simply unzip and it all works.

I can't, since each script is different, you need to generate you're own script with the generator.

Never mind my last question it is not important.

Anyway I got a new problem!!!
    When trying to start a new game with Julii, Scipii, Macedon, Egypt, Seleucid and Carthage. I can go from Julii to Scipii after that it want to load back to Julii and the shield of Macedon is locked on the map screen.

This problem has happened before. I'm not sure what causes it. Try regenerating the script and starting from scratch.

Never mind my last question it is not important.
    Sorry I didn't even realise it was there! It isn't possible to stop cheating unfortunately. You just have to trust

Ok i got one last question before I give upp this mod. Because I just can't make it working.
    Could you post the order of all factions? That would be much appreciated.

Btw my problem is that after Scipii turn, the game is freezed.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

I want to play as Thrace

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Sorry about the late response. The faction order should be the order in which the factions appear in descr_strat.txt. Not the list at the top of the file, but the order in which the faction sections appear down the file.

Firstly, i just want to comment on the lack of popularity concerning this as it was initally developed (imo): No multiplayer battles.

However, towards the end of this thread there was talk of the possibility of having multiplayer battles enabled in a LAN session.

Multiplayer Total War Campaigns have got to be Number 1 on the Universal Total War Fan's Wishlist! Am i right!!?

I'm wondering if it's possible to generate a script for multiplayer campaigns that would automatically save at the end of a players turn and send that file to another LAN'd machine without needing the exit (or alt-tab) to do it manually.

And please please please let me know if multiplayer battles can potentially be fought without auto resolve in a 2 player LAN session format. I'd kill for such a mod!

WOW.

Although i'm quite noob when it comes to modding Rome Total War if there's ANYTHING at all i can do to help, or play test this i'm 100% commited (even for play testing, i have a permanent 2 computer LAN set up in my house).

So what's the current status of this mod and is it POSSIBLE to have multipayer non auto resolved battles in the multiplayer campaign even if only with 2 human players maximum?

*collapses drooling from dream come true overload*

So what's the current status of this mod and is it POSSIBLE to have multipayer non auto resolved battles in the multiplayer campaign even if only with 2 human players maximum?

It is possible, but to acomplish it I'd need to be able to read some info out of a save game file. I know this can be done, but I can't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal
    Sorry about the late response. The faction order should be the order in which the factions appear in descr_strat.txt. Not the list at the top of the file, but the order in which the faction sections appear down the file.
    NP. Thank you very much. Will test this one last time now.

well , I got in to a little problem.

I have started up a game for 2 players with the 2 roman factions julii and brutii.
    at the first 2 rounds all worked fine with the two faction but in the third round
    when i finished the turn with the julii and pressed Ctrl+L.
    the game CTD.

now I reentered the game and loaded up the last autosave and it gave the brutii turn like it worked fine. but again after Ctrl+L again a CTD.

anything that you might think it is.

I entered the factions correctly . that i am sure cause it worked till this point.
    but that CTD dont effect the saved game and it comes after I press
    end turn.

this mod seems great except it , might be need a few fixes but what it really needs is publicity so people would know about it. the more people know about it the more chances more modders will take a look and try helping.

Edit : I tried playing with guals and briton and all seems to work great.
    I just want to know if there is a way to play up with diplomacy so the script will allow the chosen factions to have an easy diplomacy. this is only for team games with hot seat of course.
    but it would be great if the script will cause the faction to just accept any offer.
    like the cheat in the game should have done but to specific factions.

another thing is the millitary access. is there a way to make this option to give you the factions
    vision ? like the julii have with the other roman factions.

and one last thing. i want to change the script butten insted in the F1 "?" to put in the "esc" "?"
    who can i change it ?
    Last edited by Dead_Like_Me; 11-08-2006 at 17:55.

Hi there DLM.

I don't know why you're getting a CTD on pressing Ctrl + L. All I can suggest is try not loading the script and pressing Ctrl + L, just to see if it is actually a problem with the script.

Well I was considering something for diplomacy. I think it would be quite easy to make the AI accept all proposals you make, and so you could carry out deals with other players, then implement them in game. However this would be very exposed to cheating and exploiting AI factions.

The thing with the faction's vision is hard - coded unfortunately.

Umm, if you want to change how the script is loaded, you need to edit export_descr_advice.txt, and assign the script to a different piece of advice (like the one that appears when you press the ? in the menu for example)

well this i am more interested in hot seat i don't care much for cheating problems
    so i would like to know how to make computer to accept any offer you have to specific faction.
    in case there isn't a simple way i can always use "gift" option.
    now about the vision. i tried also playing around with options in the text
    changing it from whatever it is to what the developers put in the relations of roman factions , but with no success yet.
    since you said it is coded i guess you know where i can find it.
    since i got the CTD problem only with romans and only in the start of the third round i tried other factions and all seems to be working great, that why i want to have the shared vision.

now in my opinion the solution might lie in the toggle_fow option.
    i checked out in the internet and found it and because its a cheat it must be more open for change. so if you can try looking if there i away to change toggle_fow option. that might give us what we need for vision.

now remember along time ago i asked you about playing multiplayer battles with only one copy of the game. well i found out this program which works as a
    virtual network. http://www.hamachi.cc/download/

check this out, i think that is exactly what i was looking for and with some changes it might be exactly what needed for mp campaign with battles.
    with this program one open a server and meet in a specific time and play the battle. :D

now about the problem. i dont think it is the script since as i said without the romans it works great. only the loading times get me annoyed.
    what i think that the CTD is caused by is something with roman faction codding maybe senate although after first mission it disappears.

one last thing for this post is something that made me very curious in the game before editing things only when i was powerful i got suggetions like trade rights and map information for free.
    now after edit diplomats go over the whole world to give me this things from the start of the game. is there something in the script or they just happy to see me :D

The thing with the faction's vision is hard - coded unfortunately.
    Hardcoded means it can't be edited. toggle_fow reveals the entier map.

The battles don't need a virtual network. What they need is a new program written by me that can read save game files. In other words, more work than I have time to put in.

well , yeah i know that toggle_fow show all map but isn't there is a way to play with this cheat ? edit it ?

and yeah i there is the issue of battles and the need for a program to read it.
    i knew it , and as much as i remember there is the other mp that some guy developed but his MP was mainly battles were the campaign was in a out program.
    i think we can ask him to use his way of reading the saved battle information
    and use your script . and that hatamachi program for the networking between players.

if you agree I will try to make a contact with him about this subject.
    i really think it will work. each one shares his part and in the end you have a whole good working MP.

so what do you think ? are you in to it ?

Yeah, you can try. I already tried to contact him however. His program doesn't use RTW apart from for the battles, so he never needs to read the save game file. Another group of coders tried making an mp campaign by editing the save game files. If only I could get in touch with them now...

well i will try with that rocket guy.
    but do you have a name or forum where i can try to reach the other coders you talked about.

making the perfect mp from several creaters :D lol that would be great.

forgot to add about the problem i have with playing with two roman factions.
    so here is the script as i said it looks to be fine and working.
    but after second round the game just CTD but saves the game before as the script order to :

Code:
    ;Hot Seat Mod by Myrddraal.  Please do NOT edit this script.

script
    suspend_unscripted_advice true
    suspend_during_battle on

declare_counter loop
    set_counter loop 0

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType romans_brutii
    		console_command control romans_brutii
    		snap_strat_camera 0, 156
    		zoom_strat_camera 0.8
    		while I_LocalFaction romans_julii
    		end_while
    		snap_strat_camera 0, 156
    		zoom_strat_camera 0.8
    		call_object_shortcut strat_ui save_stratmap
    		inhibit_camera_input true
    		disable_entire_ui
    		hide_ui
    	end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType romans_julii
    		console_command control romans_julii
    		snap_strat_camera 0, 156
    		zoom_strat_camera 0.8
    		while I_LocalFaction romans_brutii
    		end_while
    		snap_strat_camera 0, 156
    		zoom_strat_camera 0.8
    		call_object_shortcut strat_ui save_stratmap
    		inhibit_camera_input true
    		disable_entire_ui
    		hide_ui
    	end_monitor

while I_CompareCounter loop = 0
    end_while
    end_script
    Last edited by Dead_Like_Me; 11-12-2006 at 17:38.

Hmm, the script looks fine. Try pressing end turn at the beginning, and start using the script on the second turn...

well i tried what you told me too , also CTD.
    it only happens to me with the romans. is there any common bugs for them ?

Thumbs up Re: Play By Email Multiplayer/Hot Seat Campaign - Release

This sounds fan -blinking - tastic!!! Way to go! I have a fairly shitty conection, so I can't play it by internet, but I will play with my friends at home!

Two Really BIG Thumbs Up!!!!!!!!!
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

noobish question.
    will this hot seat work for Crusades? there are only 2 factions there and this could make it simpler since you only need one more player to play. oh and there are no diplomats there either, will that make any difference?
    thanks.

I'm not sure but I think the crusades has different campaigns for each faction. It would probably work technically, but depending on which campaign you chose it would cause problems. I think you'd have to make a seperate balanced campaign without any other script to use it with The Crusades.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal
    I'm not sure but I think the crusades has different campaigns for each faction. It would probably work technically, but depending on which campaign you chose it would cause problems. I think you'd have to make a seperate balanced campaign without any other script to use it with The Crusades.
    ok, i guess that Gaius is the best man to address this question to (if he is familiar with hot seat at all).
    thanks a lot.

It's not working - WAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

What's up?

Every time I try to start a new game, it crashes to menu! I read all the posts fully, and followed the instructions. I tried it on a vanilla RTW installation, and it didn't work! I don't know what I did wrong, and I'm afraid I can't tell you now, as I've reinstalled RTW and am building a MOD on it now. I'll just forget it, but thanks anyway.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss
    ok, i guess that Gaius is the best man to address this question to (if he is familiar with hot seat at all).
    thanks a lot.
    Caius britannicus

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Default AW: Re: Play By Email Multiplayer/Hot Seat Campaign - Release

When I want to start the game, before the videos start it crashes. I copied the file Hotseatscript and changed the file export_descr_advice. I on't know why.

Vote: Sasaki Member ByzantineKnight's Avatar

Smile Re: AW: Re: Play By Email Multiplayer/Hot Seat Campaign - Release

Quote Originally Posted by Oktavian
    When I want to start the game, before the videos start it crashes. I copied the file Hotseatscript and changed the file export_descr_advice. I on't know why.
    You should put on the -show_err command line switch, right click the shortcut to Rome - Total War and click properties, change Target line from

"C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe"

to

"C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -show_err

before it crashes it will give you an error message to show you what's wrong...

Post that message here and Myrddraal can help
    RIP Tosa, I can't believe you are gone, but we will never forget you

Smile AW: Play By Email Multiplayer/Hot Seat Campaign - Release

Rome shows me the message: "Script Error in data/export_descr_advice.txt, at line 27630, coloumn 18. Advice thread (Help_Campaign_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Scroll_Thread) not recognized."

But in export _descr_advice I added the line

;------------------------------------------
    ;AdviceThread Help_Campaign_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Scroll_Thread
    ; GameArea Campaign
    ;
    ; Item Help_Campaign_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Scroll_Text_01
    ; Uninhibitable
    ; Verbosity 0
    ; Threshold 1
    ; Attitude Normal
    ; Presentation Default
    ; Title Help_Campaign_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Scroll_Text_01_Title
    ; Script scripts\show_me\HotSeatScript.txt
    ; Text Help_Campaign_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Scroll_Text_01_Text1
    ;

I also created the file HotSeatScript in data\scripts\show_me.

This is the file HotSeatScript:

;Hot Seat Mod by Myrddraal. Please do NOT edit this script.

script
    suspend_unscripted_advice true
    suspend_during_battle on

declare_counter loop
    set_counter loop 0

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType germans
    console_command control germans
    snap_strat_camera 0, 156
    zoom_strat_camera 0.8
    while I_LocalFaction romans_julii
    end_while
    snap_strat_camera 0, 156