Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Play By Email Multiplayer/Hot Seat Campaign - Release

Vote: Sasaki Member ByzantineKnight's Avatar

Default Re: Play By Email Multiplayer/Hot Seat Campaign - Release

@Triv There is only a 32-bit version, you will have to run the script on a 32 bit machine and then transfer it over to your 64 bit

@12XX unless the | following the HotSeatScript.txt was your cursor, it shouldn't be in there.
    Is the hotseat script correctly generated? and were you sure to place it in the Rome - Total War\data\scripts\show_me directory?
    RIP Tosa, I can't believe you are gone, but we will never forget you

How would would I go about transferring it.

Vote: Sasaki Member ByzantineKnight's Avatar

Run the script generator on a 32 bit system and take the file that it makes and copy it over to your 64 bit with a thumb drive or over a network and just follow the rest of the instructions in the first post
    RIP Tosa, I can't believe you are gone, but we will never forget you

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Have you tried running the generator in compatibility mode? Right click the exe, choose properties. In the dialog choose the Compatibility tab and select to run in XP mode.

A big "thank you" to you, Myrddraal.
    I bought the original Shogun ten years ago, and loved it. But none of my friends showed interest in any of the Total War series. So I was swayed into playing all the standard RTS fodder that's come out this past decade. But I'm going retro. SC2 didn't hold my interest past a dozen games. Honestly I prefer a game of chess or stratego to all the clickfest RTS genre.
    I recently rediscovered Total War, specifically RTW and am having a blast. I believe TW and the Close Combat series are now two of my all time favorites for strategy/tactical gaming.

I haven't played and MP games, I'm enjoying the single player far too much. This weekend I'm going to introduce a friend to RTW and hopefully get him hooked also. Anyway, I have not tried this script yet, but fully intend to do so. If I can get a couple of my friends hooked I would greatly enjoy PBeM with them. Both co-op and rivalry play. You have added lasting value to this great bargain.

---

A quick question for anyone who has played with friends. Has anyone ever tried to play out the realtime battles? My thought is to auto resolve most battles, but perhaps certain key battles over a certain magnitude, or an extremely key piece of real estate. That those battles could be set up manually and fought out, with a gentleman's agreement over army removal post battle? Has anyone ever heard of this being done?

Hi Risasi, welcome to the .org

That those battles could be set up manually and fought out, with a gentleman's agreement over army removal post battle? Has anyone ever heard of this being done?
    You could do this. Of course it wouldn't be 100% spot on; units wouldn't gain experience, and you couldn't have damaged units.

Depending how much time you would want to spend on this, you could set up the battles as historical battles using the right map hex, then write your own script to create new armies based on the battle results. Both players would then disband their pre-battle armies and use the new ones, but that's probably more effort than it's worth.

Hi, I have a quick question. I'm sure it's something small that I'm missing...I have the script generated and have a new campaign I started. I can't seem to activate the script because when I press F1, and click on the ? at the top-right, even though it brings up the advisor the "Show Me How" button is grayed out. I reset the advisor and tried a couple different levels of advise but couldn't get it "clickable".

-thanks
    ---
    ADDENDUM:
    I'm posting here so others may learn by my mistake. I didn't pay enough attention and follow the instructions laid out by Myrddraal on page 1 of this thread:

;------------------------------------------
    AdviceThread Help_Campaign_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Scroll_Thread
    GameArea Campaign

Item Help_Campaign_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Scroll_Text_01
    Uninhibitable
    Verbosity 0
    Threshold 1
    Attitude Normal
    Presentation Default
    Title Help_Campaign_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Scroll_Text_01_Title
    Script scripts\show_me\HotSeatScript.txt
    Text Help_Campaign_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Scroll_Text_01_Text1

I thought I had followed this by searching the "export_descr_advice.txt" file for "help_campaign". Stupid me, I assumed it only occurred once in the file and blindly pasted the call to the "show me how" button.

Once I moved it from the "AdviceThread Help_Campaign_Battle_Stats_Screen_Thread" section to the "AdviceThread Help_Campaign_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Scroll_Thread" section where this belonged it works like a charm.
    Last edited by Risasi; 03-19-2011 at 04:31.

I have everything done right, but I can't get the advisor to show up when I click on ?. Any advice?

I read the post above but that is not the problem.

EDIT

Problem solved, I had to remove the ; signs, as explained on page 5 (I think).
    Last edited by Stark; 10-29-2011 at 20:45.

Hello
    guys can anyone help with a script for playing on a modification RS2 in hotseat?

Quote Originally Posted by Legat View Post
    Hello
    guys can anyone help with a script for playing on a modification RS2 in hotseat?
    It is highly unlikely that it will work. There is just so much scripting being done by the RS2 team, and the way they have folders for each faction just makes it worse. I also already know it doesn't work with EB, due to the four season scripting. I'm thinking about trying this script with RTRVII. All my friends and I have been playing a hot seat game of RTR 6 PE, unless the added scripting breaks hotseat that might be the only recent mod that is compatible.

Great, been looking for this for ages.

NOTE!!! With newer operating systems (windows 7, vista, anything past windows XP) the script generator does not seem to work.
    Last edited by Willowran; 05-03-2012 at 22:00.

It works fine. The secret to getting it working under Windows 7 is to right-click on Command Prompt, then choose "Run as Administrator". This script still works great, and with some of the mods; I played RTR 6 for over six months with a couple friends. We also brought in a few more guys and restarted, playing with RTRVII. Interest has waned lately. Summer gets too busy. I also know the script works with Ran no Jidai, and I intend to try Roma Surrectum using the One Turn Play profile. I think it might actually work. I'll try to remember to post here if I get it working.

How to get it working under Vista? The script is not generated (no "HotSeatScript.txt" file is saved).

===========================

Edit:

Ok, the Windows 7 method ("Run as Administrator") works.
    Last edited by Domen; 12-03-2012 at 18:58.

How to play

To start the game
    The first player must start a normal campaign. On starting the campaign, you must run the script.

Playing your turn

To start your turn, load the quicksave file sent to you by the last player.
    Each player must run the script at the start of every turn.

To do this:

Press F1
    The shortcuts scroll will appear
    Press the (?) button in the top right hand corner of the scroll which appears
    The Advisor will appear giving you advice on the scroll, ignore this, and press the Show me how button.

The script will then be running, you can close the advisor and the scroll.
    Something is wrong. When I press the (?) button, the Advisor does not appear.

======================================

Ok. I found the answer on page 2. Now everything works perfectly. I removed the ";" from several lines. :)

===============
    ===============

Is it possible to add passwords for each player to this script?
    Last edited by Domen; 12-03-2012 at 19:46.

How to disable console in Rome campaign?

I want to get a hotseat game of Rome going with my cousin but have been somehow struggling with the simple steps of this mod

Here is a copy-paste of the section of export_descr_advice.txt I edited:
    http://pastebin.com/7YUybySF

And here is my HotSeatScript.txt
    http://pastebin.com/44MP0Ayw

Seems like it should work, but in game the advisor's Show Me How button is always greyed out. Through my fiddling, here are the options for what I think the problem could be:

1) In the instructions, to start the game, it says "The first player must start a normal campaign. On starting the campaign, you must run the script." Is this just a reiteration of the "always hit the advisor before playing your turn" req, or is there a special script-running action I needed to take at the very beginning to get it set up?

2) I couldn't get the script generator to run on my Bootcamp partition since it has Windows 7 (I even tried Running as Administrator, and doing Windows XP compatibility mode but kept getting a weird error that it couldn't find the file... that I was clicking on...), so I just downloaded a few I found online and edited it to be the campaign I want (with just two open seats, Seleucids and Greeks). But maybe there is some modification I missed? Would anyone be willing to generate a script for me with that campaign set up?

3) I'm playing the Mac App Store version, which I've never failed yet at getting mods to work with (though sometimes it takes a while!) so maybe that's causing some weird issue?

EDIT: Ah hah! I figured it out!

Ingame, I had to hit Escape > Game Options > Reset Advisor

Next time I opened up the advisor through the Keyboard Shortcuts menu, the button was enabled and it all worked from there!
    Last edited by Smittens; 12-08-2012 at 01:03. Reason: Fixed problem

I play a Hotseat campaign with several friends now (Julii, Macedon, Egypt, Carthage, Germania).

But my friend who plays Macedon noticed that when he plays a battle on battle map, he cannot choose between "End battle" or "Continue battle" when all enemies are routing - the battle simply automatically ends. I play as Julii and I don't have this problem (I can always choose to chase the routing, defeated enemies instead of ending the battle). Why does it take place and are there any solutions for this problem?

=============================================

Another problem is that at the beginning of each turn each settlement has Auto-Management mode on.

It doesn't disturb building & recruitation because you can switch it off at the beginning of each turn and order them to build and recruit what you want - but it seems that when I changed taxes to "low", it didn't work because of this (I think so because in the following turn I had more money than it had been predicted when I had set taxes on low - so probably taxes and population growth were automatically changed and affected the game).

We all have this problem, not just Macedon. Is it possible to fix this Auto-Management somehow?
    Last edited by Domen; 12-10-2012 at 15:16.

Hi Domen,

I'm not sure why you have the first problem. I can guess what happens with the other problem, the script is effectively toggling which faction is controlled by the player, so each nation is moving in and out of player control.

However, I've no idea how you'd fix that. I'm afraid I haven't modded or played Rome in many years now.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Thanks for response.

It seems that the game is automatically changing the tax level, but the population growth remains on the level appropriate to taxes set by player previously. So when I set taxes as low, population grows like with low taxes, but income is higher (how much higher - depends how the AI changes the tax level, for example from low to normal, high or very high). So actually this "bug" (or how to call it) can be exploited in favour for the player. Looks like the game is counting / establishing population growth before the control of the tax level is being handed over to the AI / the tax level is moving out of player control (just to move in again a short while later, at the start of his turn).

This is what I guess, at least (after checking numbers of inhabitants in my settlements each turn for a few last turns).

Anyway - if this "bug" really works how it seems to me - then it is absolutely not necessary to fix it.

Maybe it gives some advantage to human players, but it doesn't favour any of them over the other human players.
    Last edited by Domen; 12-13-2012 at 17:33.

advise you to make it a rule to auto-resolve all battles as playing them will give you an unfair advantage over the opponent, who will be controlled by the AI.
    Is it possible to liquidate the option to play battle on your own and leave only the option to auto-resolve all battles?

Not that I'm aware of, this has to be a house-rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Risasi View Post
    It is highly unlikely that it will work. There is just so much scripting being done by the RS2 team, and the way they have folders for each faction just makes it worse. I also already know it doesn't work with EB, due to the four season scripting. I'm thinking about trying this script with RTRVII. All my friends and I have been playing a hot seat game of RTR 6 PE, unless the added scripting breaks hotseat that might be the only recent mod that is compatible.
    Hello, first of all a big thanks to Myrddraal for this mod, since thanks to this me and my friends are still playing Rome TW after all this time. I hope he updates his generator though, since I cant seem to get it to work for Win 7 64bit, regardless of setting the compatibility or running it in admin rights.

Second, this mod works even for super heavily scripted mods like EB and RS2. I haven't really tried it in EB, since I dont have the mod, but I am confident that as long as the background script is the same, I am sure it will work.

To make it work for RS2, all you really have to do is to get the hotseat code eg.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ;Hot Seat Mod by Myrddraal. Please do NOT edit this script.

script
    suspend_unscripted_advice true
    suspend_during_battle on

declare_counter loop
    set_counter loop 0

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType seleucid
    console_command control seleucid
    snap_strat_camera 0, 156
    zoom_strat_camera 0.8
    while I_LocalFaction greek_cities
    end_while
    snap_strat_camera 0, 156
    zoom_strat_camera 0.8
    call_object_shortcut strat_ui save_stratmap
    inhibit_camera_input true
    disable_entire_ui
    hide_ui
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType greek_cities
    console_command control greek_cities
    snap_strat_camera 0, 156
    zoom_strat_camera 0.8
    while I_LocalFaction seleucid
    end_while
    snap_strat_camera 0, 156
    zoom_strat_camera 0.8
    call_object_shortcut strat_ui save_stratmap
    inhibit_camera_input true
    disable_entire_ui
    hide_ui
    end_monitor

while I_CompareCounter loop = 0
    end_while
    end_script

After getting the code, simply copy the part that is in bold. Then proceed to the mod folder -> data -> scripts -> show me -> background_script.txt

Then proceeed to the very last part of the code. Place the code that you've copied BEFORE the:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

(place it here)

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ;;; End of your code
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

; Spin forever - Do not let the script terminate or any monitors you have set up will immediately get thrown away.
    while I_TurnNumber < 99999
    suspend_unscripted_advice true
    end_while

end_script

Make sure you leave a single space BEFORE and AFTER the lines monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType and end_monitor

For RS2, I guarantee that it works, since me and my mates have an ongoing hotseat as we speak. I hope that helps. :)
    Last edited by Siddyus; 01-13-2013 at 13:38.

So there is no version that works on a 64 bit operating system?
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

It seems that for some reason Senate doesn't work with this script.

I made a script with romans_senate, macedon, seleucid, carthage, britons and greek_cities.

After the first turn, in second turn it stops on Macedon, instead of Senate.

Is there some way to fix this? I want to play with Senate.

Sorry Domen, I'm not sure why that would be. I haven't been playing Rome for some years so I can't support this script any more.

Please help..
    After i downloaded the generator file , and i start running the generator exe file it says that the file version is not compatible with the version of windows you're running, and blablabla..
    I have a windows 7 64 bit home basic..

How to i fix this??.. please
    And thankx..
    :)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678