Thread: Forum rules

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Default Forum rules

Welcome to the Citadel! This is the place to discuss aspects of the single player unmodded game of Medieval 2 Total War. We have seperate forums to cover multiplayer aspects and modding. If you have a technical support type problem with M2TW not running or running in an odd way, the appropriate forum on the Org to ask for help is the apothecary.

A few pointers on forum rules:

No foul language

This forum operates a zero tolerance policy on swearing. Absolutely no offensive or vulgar language will be tolerated. This includes "mild" swearwords or even "borderline" words that some might not consider to be swearwords. Asterisking out parts of swearwords or initialising swearword phrases is not acceptable either.

I'm not going to list examples, as that would be self-defeating. But a standard to apply is this: would this language be acceptable in written communications with clients (if you are in work) or with your tutors (if you are in full time education)? If the answer is no, then please find another way of expressing yourself.

The reason for this policy is to maintain the civilised tone of the Org and because we are open to young kids. Org rules already prohibit offensive language, but implementing it in a zero tolerance manner is probably the most straightforward approach for all concerned.

UPDATE: Mild foul language used in an otherwise "innocent" way may simply be edited out by moderators without notification. More serious cases will lead to PMs or warnings.

No CA or modder bashing

All members should be treated with respect, but particular care should be taken with those members who contribute their labour to our hobby: CA staff and modders. As well as common courtesy, this is in our self interest as we want those people to be actively posting and discussing in this forum.

When we say there should be no CA or modder "bashing" what we simply this: any criticism of CA products must not be couched in derogatory terms. No offensive or insulting words should be used to describe it.

If in doubt about this, conduct a thought experiment and imagine that someone is posting about your own work. Those of you in work might think about what would be acceptable comment from your employer or your customers. Those of you still in full time study might think about what would be acceptable in an academic debate or as comments from your professors on your papers etc.

Above all, please think before posting - any substantive critical comment can be expressed politely and neutrally, there is no need to be insulting or offensive when making it.

Closing threads

Just a quick note on closing threads: this is a fast moving forum and often we get the same topic being repeatedly covered in different threads. Where possible, I merge topics. But sometimes, I will close a thread that just goes over old ground or has posts that should really go in a pre-existing thread. Please don't take it as a draconian act - it's a housekeeping thing, not personal slight.

Also, where the first post is on a very narrow technical question that is answered, I may close the thread with "Asked and answered". I will do that if I think any matters arising are likely to be uninteresting or better dealt with in a new thread.
    Last edited by econ21; 12-11-2006 at 18:20.

Default Re: Forum rules

It seems that I have to add to this in light of recent developments in this forum.

Put simply, personal attacks are not on

By all means, disagree with what other members say - this is a forum for debate about m2tw after all - but do so in a way that involves you responding to what they say, not the person themselves.

Personal attacks have been on the rise lately, probably because of frustration over the patch delay, but there is no excuse for this sort of thing.

Warnings have been given and will continue to be given until this calms down - if you have an issue with another member, or have questions about this post, please do so by pm.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer