Thread: How to Transfer Barbarian Buildings from BI to RTW

blaaaaaaaaaarg! Senior Member Lusted's Avatar

Default How to Transfer Barbarian Buildings from BI to RTW

How to Transfer Barbarian Buildings from BI to RTW

This definitely works in 1.5, and should work in 1.3.

This tutorial relates to all Barbarian Buildings contained in BI and transferring them to RTW, and giving the Barbarian factins in RTw all city levels. This is a rather complex process at times but ill try to make it as simple as possible.

Transferring files from Bi to RTW:

You will need to copy the following from BI and paste them in the relevant folders in the RTw data folder.

bi\data\settlement_plans - barbarian_huge_city.txt, barbarian_large_city.txt
    bi\data\settlement_plans\street_plans - barbarian_huge_city_pathfinding.CAS, barbarian_large_city_pathfinding.CAS
    bi\data\settlement_plans\overlays - barbarian_huge_city_overlay.CAS, barbarian_large_city_overlay.CAS
    bi\data\settlement_plans\underlays - barbarian_huge_city_underlay.CAS, barbarian_large_city_underlay.CAS
    bi\data\ui\barbarian\buildings - best to copy everything to be on the safe side
    bi\data\models_strat\residences - everything
    bi\data\models_strat\residences\textures - everything
    bi\data\models_building - everything, and all sub folders
    bi\data\items - every file beginning with BI_
    bi\data\descr_building_battle - everything

Getting buildings in the campaign

Next, we will need to assign the Barbarians all city levels. Open up the descr_cultures.txt from RTW and replace the barbarian section with this from the Bi one:

Code:
    culture					barbarian
    portrait_mapping		barbarian
    rebel_standard_index	1
    {
    village
    {
    	normal				data/models_strat/residences/barb_village.CAS,					settlement_barbarian_level_1					
    	card				data/ui/barbarian/cities/barbarian_village.tga
    }
    town
    {
    	normal				data/models_strat/residences/barb_town_buildings.CAS,			settlement_barbarian_level_2
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/barb_town_wall_1.CAS,				settlement_barbarian_walled_level_2
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/barb_town_wall_2.CAS,				settlement_barbarian_walled_level_2
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/barb_town_wall_2.CAS,				settlement_barbarian_walled_level_2
    	card				data/ui/barbarian/cities/barbarian_town.tga
    }
    large_town
    {
    	normal				data/models_strat/residences/barb_large_town_buildings.CAS,		settlement_barbarian_level_2
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/barb_large_town_wall_1.CAS,		settlement_barbarian_walled_level_3
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/barb_large_town_wall_2.CAS,		settlement_barbarian_walled_level_3
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/barb_large_town_wall_2.CAS,		settlement_barbarian_walled_level_3
    	card				data/ui/barbarian/cities/barbarian_large_town.tga
    }
    city
    {
    	normal				data/models_strat/residences/barb_city_buildings.CAS,			settlement_barbarian_level_2
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/barb_city_wall_1.CAS,				settlement_barbarian_walled_level_4
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/barb_city_wall_2.CAS,				settlement_barbarian_walled_level_4
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/roman_city_wall_3.CAS,				settlement_barbarian_walled_level_4
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/roman_city_wall_3.CAS,				settlement_barbarian_walled_level_4
    	card				data/ui/barbarian/cities/barbarian_city.tga
    }
    large_city
    {
    	normal				bi/data/models_strat/residences/barb_large_city.CAS,			settlement_barbarian_level_2
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/roman_large_city_wall_1.CAS		settlement_roman_walled_level_5
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/roman_large_city_wall_2.CAS		settlement_roman_walled_level_5
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/roman_large_city_wall_3.CAS		settlement_roman_walled_level_5
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/roman_large_city_wall_4.CAS		settlement_roman_walled_level_5
    }
    huge_city
    {
    	normal				bi/data/models_strat/residences/barb_huge_city.CAS,				settlement_barbarian_level_2
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/roman_huge_city_wall_1.CAS			settlement_roman_walled_level_6
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/roman_huge_city_wall_2.CAS			settlement_roman_walled_level_6
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/roman_huge_city_wall_3.CAS			settlement_roman_walled_level_6
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/roman_huge_city_wall_4.CAS			settlement_roman_walled_level_6
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/roman_huge_city_wall_5.CAS			settlement_roman_walled_level_6
    }
    }
    fort				data/models_strat/residences/barb_fort.CAS,							fort_barbarian
    fort_cost			500
    fort_wall			data/models_strat/residences/barb_fort_wall.CAS
    fishing_village		data/models_strat/residences/barb_fishing_village.CAS,				port_barbarian_level_1	
    port_land			data/models_strat/residences/barb_port_01_land.CAS,					port_barbarian_level_2
    port_sea			data/models_strat/residences/barb_port_01_sea.CAS
    port_land			data/models_strat/residences/barb_port_02_land.CAS,					port_barbarian_level_3
    port_sea			data/models_strat/residences/barb_port_02_sea.CAS
    port_land			data/models_strat/residences/barb_port_03_land.CAS,					port_barbarian_level_4
    port_sea			data/models_strat/residences/barb_port_03_sea.CAS
    watchtower			data/models_strat/residences/watchtower_barb.CAS,					watchtower_barbarian
    watchtower_cost		200
    spy				spy.tga				spy_info.tga			spy.tga			350	1	1
    assassin		assassin.tga		assassin_info.tga		assassin.tga	500	1	1
    diplomat		diplomat.tga		diplomat_info.tga		diplomat.tga	250	1	1
    admiral			admiral.tga			admiral_info.tga		admiral.tga		100	1
    Next go into export_descr_buildings.txt and add barbarian to the requires factions line for the following buildings:

proconsuls_palace
    imperial_palace
    stone_wall
    army_barracks
    royal_barracks

With the stable buildings in RTW not all barb factions can build them so you can add any of the barb factions to any of the levels, likewise with some of the missile buildings

great_forum
    foundry
    dockyard
    sewers
    baths
    aqueduct
    paved_roads
    mines+1

Next you will need to open export_buildings.txt in the data\text folder and use the BI version of this file to copy across the relevant descriptions for all the buidings you have just added to the Barbarian culture.

Now you will have all the buildings in the campaign, with the correct unit cards and descriptions. To get them on the battlemap is a bit more complex, and im not even sure if i've got this part working right but ill say what i did.

Getting the buildings on the battle map

Open up descr_building_battle.txt and add this line:

include dbb_barbarian_invasion.txt

after all the other include dbb_ etc lines.

The next part involves the editing of descr_items.db which is a bit more complex so ill just post my one here, replace your existing one with mine.

http://rapidshare.de/files/24722119/descr_items.db.html

You should now have all the buildings ingame for the battle maps, you can test this by doing a custom battle and seeing if the stone walls show up. The other buildings do not seem to show up custom battles so the only way to test would be to run a campaign, wait for a city to reach the large or huge city size for the barbarians then use the city view option to see if its worked.

I hope this tutorial works for you, if it doesn't work it probably just means i've missed something out.

Member thankful for this post:

Flesz 

Marcus Arbaces Alexandros Member Arbaces's Avatar

Default Re: How to Transfer Barbarian Buildings from BI to RTW

I tried this once but couldn't make it with the settlement plans. Thanks for this tutorial, very useful!

i have a problem. the buildings are on the campaign and all. but they wont show in the battlefield. and the city still looks like a minor city when it reached the huge city state. any help?

p.s i did exactly what the instructions said.

Quote Originally Posted by The Spartan
    i have a problem. the buildings are on the campaign and all. but they wont show in the battlefield. and the city still looks like a minor city when it reached the huge city state. any help?
    I've got the same problem.

I have managed to get the BI buildings to show up on the battlefield. I'm using a mod folder so things might be a little different if you are making changes directly to the main data folder.

(1) Copy descr_items.db and descr_items.txt from bi/data to [mod_name]/data
    (2) Copy everything from bi/data/items/ to [mod_name]/data/items/
    (3) Copy everything from bi/data/models_building/ to [mod_name]/data/models_building/
    (4) Merge the BI and vanilla versions of descr_settlement_plan.txt

(4) requires some significant editing to: (1) remove any references to building types that don't exist in your export_descr_building.txt (like churches for example), (2) remove any references to the nomad and hun culture types from the BI version, (3) retain the Greek and Egyptian stuff from the vanilla version, and (4) add the new Barbarian stuff from the BI version.

You can get my version of descr_settlement_plan.txt here.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; 10-15-2006 at 22:26.

I've updated the post above to include some more detailed instructions and a link to the descr_settlement_plan.txt that Im using.

Hi DimeBagHo,

Thanks for keeping this thread going man. I was sure I did everything correctly using Lusted's and your instructions but I'm getting error codes from the descr_settlement_plan.txt. The BI buildings are being rejected and I'm not sure why. Can you think of any reason this may be happening because I can't?

Cheers

There are some files where the locations of .CAS files are specified - you might need to edit those.

bi\data\models_building\list.txt
    bi\data\settlement_plans\barbarian_large_city.txt
    bi\data\settlement_plans\barbarian_huge_city.txt

Do a search for ".CAS" in each file and where you see a path like...
    Code:
    street_plan	../../../bi/data/settlement_plans/street_plans/barbarian_large_city_pathfinding.CAS
    ...either cut the "bi/" bit like this...
    Code:
    street_plan	../../../data/settlement_plans/street_plans/barbarian_large_city_pathfinding.CAS
    ...or replace it with the name of the mod folder you are using. There may be more files like that that I haven't spotted.

Thanks for the feedback DimeBagHo, I finally got it working
    I followed your advice and realised I'd forgotten to add the dbb_barbarian_invasion.txt
    Anyway the game still crashed afterwards but this time at the custom battle loading screen and without an error message .
    I decided to use a couple of the relevent files from BareBonesWars as this mod unlocks the BI buildings. I had to edit them a bit but it worked and I'm well pleased.

Cheers

lusted. nice tutorial, but the download no longer works. could you get it hosted again for download?

Has anyone ever been able to successfully do this? I tried several times and I just cannot get it to work. I was wondering if someone ight be able to send me all the relevant files necessary. It would sure be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Cormaeg

Stumbler amongst files

yes, it would be much appreciated.

and welcome to the ORG Cormaeg

Thanks for the welcome, RM3! But if you, who are something of a modder yourself would appreciate these files, then I guess I never really stood a chance of doing this, heh heh.
    Cormaeg

Stumbler amongst files

Welcome Cormaeg

Ok lads, follow Lusted's guide and then use these files: http://files.filefront.com//;6228224;;/ (Make backups of every file you edit or replace).
    Those files come from Repman's BareBonesWars mod so a big thanks to him.

Be sure to include dbb_barbarian_invasion.txt from the BI to RTW Data\descr_building_battle folder.

If the BI buildings still don't show up then I've probably forgotten something.

Good luck.

Thank you muchly, sir. I have followed your instructions and am about to try it now. *crosses fingers*
    Cormaeg

Stumbler amongst files

yes, thank you for the files. and cormeag, when you said this:
    Quote Originally Posted by cormeag
    But if you, who are something of a modder yourself would appreciate these files, then I guess I never really stood a chance of doing this, heh heh.
    , you would stand a chance of doing this, because in lusteds tutorial, he gives you a download, but it has expired, and therefore, i have no way of knowing what needs doing to the text.

Thanks to everyone for all the help! I've been able to do it, incredibly! Still testing, and some things won't show up until later, but I do have one problem. My stone wall is not showing up on the campaign map. It's on the battle map, but not the campaign-looks like a settlement before you build a wooden pallisade. Anyone know what controls that?

And RM, that file that Dimebag has posted should help you out, I think.
    Cormaeg

Stumbler amongst files

Oops-nevermind! I was able to fix the stone wall deal! This is fun stuff!
    Cormaeg

Stumbler amongst files

It sure is. I'm glad it worked for you

could you post a winzip file?

Just about to try...

Script error in descr_buildings battle

expect culture, season

@ DimeBagHo

Is that little tutorial all you have to do to get it to work in a mod folder?

Any chance to relinks descr_items.db

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: How to Transfer Barbarian Buildings from BI to RTW

Quote Originally Posted by Flesz View Post
    Any chance to relinks descr_items.db
    Hello Flesz, welcome to the .Org .

I'm afraid Lusted hasn't visited this forum in over 4 years. The Scriptorium is nearly dead. I hate to say this, but you're more likely to get answers over at the TWC. They have a thread with the same guide - the .db link is down as well, but someone appears to have figured out how to work around it.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

I see this is old topic, but I don't see forum dead