Quote Originally Posted by Ludens
Caravel, I don't know whether Mithrandir wants us to continue this discusion, but I also think you are reading too much in the Shogun's words. Yes, they were ill-chosen and impolite, but I think his intention was "just" to discourage the use of petitions. After all, it is easy for the fans to sign a petition for a patch to fix siege-engine bug, but it is CA who has to do all the work (and making a patch takes a lot of work, not to mention money).
I'm not sure of the logic behind that, but I'll drop the subject completely.

Also, the IP-adres is not an unique code that can be used to ascertain identity over the internet.
It definitely doesn't prove identity, even in the case of a static IP, but lets say for example you see 5 people sign a petition all posting from the same IP you may be entitled to smell a rat. Even then they could be a group of individuals on a LAN using a NAT router to share a connection.

You are right in that communication between fanbase and and developpers leaves something to be desired. However, this is not just a one-sided problem. The developers do listen to the community: they ask for bug-lists, they visit the forums, they even delayed the 1.2 patch to fix the primary-secondary bug. As far as I can see, support has actually improved with the take-over by SEGA. That is why I am disinclined to believe that CA is actually trying to scotch all criticism. I cannot see how they could accomplish such a thing anyway.
You may be correct, though locking what they refer to as "CA Bashing" threads, which are usually criticism of the policy not the games, leads me, and others to believe otherwise.

Signing off.