Thread: So... You guys still play?

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Default So... You guys still play?

I've never actually tried MP MTW. I originally didn't play it because I like SP so much, and I've been meaning to try it. Do a lot of people still play 2.01? And I have to get a Gamespy account, right? I mean I know some people still play, but this is a pretty quiet forum and all...

Default Re: So... You guys still play?

A very sound decision, even if quite a belated one;)

Well, I haven't played for a tenday or two, being quite busy, but I reckon that your chances to get a decent amount of players increase around 18.00-22.00 GTM, mainly weekends.
    You'll also need to set up a GS account, but after you 're done don't try to enter a game through GS.
    I think the MP guides around describe the whole process in detail.
    [VDM]Alexandros
    -------------------------------------------
    DUX: a VI MP enhancement mod
    -Version 0.4 is out
    -Comments/Technical Problems are welcome here
    -New forum on upcoming DUX tourney and new site (under construction).

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good
    Do a lot of people still play 2.01? And I have to get a Gamespy account, right?
    People are still playing, but several different version of the game are played. You'll see quite a few players in the foyer still using MTW v1.1. MTW/VI v2.01 is incompatible with that. Also, you'll see people using NTW mod quite a bit, and maybe some other mods. So, it's a bit misleading because most likely more than half the people you see in the foyer are playing something other than MTW/VI v2.01.

You need a gamespy account, but the free one is fine. You don't need the subsciption account which costs money.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

I play it on LAN whenever I get together with my friends. If you haven't done the multiplayer, its pretty much the second greatest multiplayer game ever, after Fallout: Tactics (single player MTW destroys the mediocre tactics, though. ).

I don't really play competitively, we just select what units we think would be fun and try out new tactics each battle. I've never played it online.
    "Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou lovest. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of Melkor, master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes thou shalt see, and with my ears thou shalt hear; and never shall thou move from this place until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end". -Tolkien

Well, I hope to see some of you on the playing field! I'll be under the name "Alexander-the-Pretty-Good" so it should be pretty easy to see me!

I may also investigate this Samurai Wars competition thing. Even if I do get my @$5 handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good
    Well, I hope to see some of you on the playing field! I'll be under the name "Alexander-the-Pretty-Good" so it should be pretty easy to see me!

I may also investigate this Samurai Wars competition thing. Even if I do get my @$5 handed to me.
    Honestly, the gameplay in STWmod is very intuitive. You don't have to know unit stats or the upgrade system. Everyone chooses their army from the same 14 units. Right now STWmod is only being played on weekends at the time Tomi designates in the Samurai Warlords event. The teams are randomized, so it's more for fun and learning than competition right now.

If you install STWmod, I would recommend copying your unmodified MTW/VI folder and installing STWmod to the copy. Then make a desktop shortcut for it.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

OK. I'll do that.

Played my first MP game today.

Won, 30k 1v1, as Welsh versus Mercia. Close though, things were bad when his general died, and a lot routed.

Lagged like hell; I'm not going to use wireless anymore, lol!