Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 17th century

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Default Re: 17th century

I'm sorry guys but I can't seem to find most of the information you wanted Legio I don't know if it's me not knowing the right places to look but I can only find this.

Leader-John Sigismund 1608-1619 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_SigismundThis has all his information on children etc.)

Religion-Protestant

Everything else I can't find anything about

Its alright though I don't have to play.
    Last edited by Csargo; 09-16-2006 at 20:29.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Join the ICLADOLLABOJADALLA! Member IrishArmenian's Avatar

I just wanted to notify the Pope that the Polish converted to Orthodoxy. That is worse than starting out Orthodox is it not? Action needs to be taken against the Polish Heethens.

"Half of your brain is that of a ten year old and the other half is that of a ten year old that chainsmokes and drinks his liver dead!" --Hagop Beegan

My research on Denmark-Norway

Kingdom of Denmark-Norway

Christian IV, King of Denmark and Norway, of the Wends and the Geats
    Duke of Schleswig-Holstein

Christian IV was a great reformer of Danish society, modernising the fleet and established the Danish East India Company. Unfortunately, his passion and bellicosity proved to be his downfall. He spoke, besides Danish, French, German, Latin and Italian.

Anne Catherine of Brandenburg, Queen Consort

Crown Prince Christian of Denmark-Norway (aged 4)
    Prince Frederick of Denmark-Norway

Other Notables:

Jacob Ulfeldt, Chancellor of Denmark

Claes Maltesen Sehested, Governor of Osel

Other Information:

Denmark is a Catholic state

The army is a mixture of Dano-Norwegian conflicts, with mercenaries providing the backbone. Guard units formed in 1614.

Current Alliances: Presumably Brandenburg-Prussia, alliance was broken with Poland and Sweden.

Wars – at war with Sweden

Rebellions – the son of Ulfeldt politically overpowered Christian and became virtually the ruler of Denmark in 1646-48

Navy – 22 ships raised to 60 ships in 1610

I think non-Catholicism is tolerated for the most part.

The rule is, I think, fairly centralised. Christian was both a reformer and a military leader, as well as an explorer, but his passion defeated him in the end.

Conflicts: several wars with Sweden

Economy: the Sound Strait seems a particularly important point of income, beyond that, I couldn’t find much out. The Danish economy is not exactly thriving because of the reliance on mercenaries.

'My intelligence is not just insulted, it's looking for revenge with a gun and no mercy. ' - Frogbeastegg

SERA NIMIS VITA EST CRASTINA VIVE HODIE

The life of tomorrow is too late - live today!

Quote Originally Posted by Csar
    I'm sorry guys but I can't seem to find most of the information you wanted Legio I don't know if it's me not knowing the right places to look but I can only find this.

Leader-John Sigismund 1608-1619 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_SigismundThis has all his information on children etc.)

Religion-Protestant

Csar, it is nor required, it is just advised. Please stay. I like this a lot now that every country has a living leader.

"Half of your brain is that of a ten year old and the other half is that of a ten year old that chainsmokes and drinks his liver dead!" --Hagop Beegan

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I didn't plan on leaving I was just saying that if Legio didn't think that was enough then I would drop out. For the Brandenburg military I'm sure it was pretty fine military from how good the Prussians were in the 1800s. Oh and Legio I sent my plans too you.

His higness, the Sultan Member Randarkmaan's Avatar

Dearest king Sigismund of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, his highness finds it regrettable to inform you that your time has run out. He has decided to act on this matter on the ground of many Polish offences, but primarily the Polish ambitions in Moldavia, a state under our protection, not only have Cossacks raided Moldavia, but Polish soldiers have also attacked Ottoman positions. Also it is sad that Polish ambitions are even larger than this, they have also placed their own impostor on the throne of Moscow, so as to enlarge their sphere of influence. His highness considers all these, and especially the attacks on Moldavia, affronts as threats to his nation’s security and has only now understands that force is the only thing people like King Sigismund understood. Peace be upon you.

Speaking on behalf of his majesty: Fakih Hayreddin, imperial emissary.
    Last edited by Randarkmaan; 09-16-2006 at 22:08.
    "One of the nice things about looking at a bear is that you know it spends 100 per cent of every minute of every day being a bear. It doesn't strive to become a better bear. It doesn't go to sleep thinking, "I wasn't really a very good bear today". They are just 100 per cent bear, whereas human beings feel we're not 100 per cent human, that we're always letting ourselves down. We're constantly striving towards something, to some fulfilment"
    -Stephen Fry

Poland, your time has come. Surrender Moscow and the throne now, or prepare to be eradicated. I have no time for your games. The Ottoman army is upon you, and with them, my pact of loyalty lies. Leave Russian lands, now, and take your puppet leader with you. This is not a warning, rather an annowncement of your fate.

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

I have dropped in to mention few things:

- Brandenburg inherited East Prussia in 1618, but because they were let to do taht, they remain Polish vasal and the Eastern Prussia itself is under constant danger of being annexed nonetheless ( at least untill 1696),

-its army was small and actually was build during the 30-years war and consisted of highly trained, but small number of troops - probably 18 000 was the maximum number,

- Zaporozhian Cossacks raided coastal areas of Asia Minor and Bulgaria (suburbs of the Istambul included) - Moldavia wasn't raided it was actually Polish-Ottoman shared dominium.

-Poland and the Ottomans had rather friendly ralationship despite Cossack raids and Tatar attacks - clearly it had changed here,

- There were no Zaporozhian cities - they were warrior community on the edge of the Commonwealth - similar to Croatian Uskoci and Hungarian Szekely,

- Conditions limited warfare in Moldavia, south Ukraine much - forces larger than 10 000 found themselves in danger of starvation, disease etc very quickly - Ottoman forces in 1621 suffered more than 50 % losses ( from 150 000+),

- Poland - husaria most likely would not ever be able to number more than 12 000 men ( 8 000 was historiacally the highest number),

- Russian army didn't win a single battle against Poles-Lithuanians since 1501 - not without a reason I must add,

- England couldn't be a tolerant country - presbiterian protestants loathed Catholicism who often payed in similar way back. In many ways it was boiling with distrust and sectarian hatred.

I hope it clears some doubts.

Pardon my intrusion, cheers !

Well I don't think this is ment to be exactly historically accurate. And about Brandenburg inheriting Prussia I was wondering about that too I guess its just something he decided.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Religion-Protestant

it doesn't matter, you can still play. Just read what Brandenburg did before and after the current time of the game and it'll be enough. The links I posted provide enough info for you, I think.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by cegorach
    I have dropped in to mention few things:

- Brandenburg inherited East Prussia in 1618, but because they were let to do taht, they remain Polish vasal and the Eastern Prussia itself is under constant danger of being annexed nonetheless ( at least untill 1696),
    yes, but people must die at different times in this interactive than they did historically, so as to ensure it isn't predictable. For instance the Swedish king died one year earlier as well in a previous chapter. However I had to kill the French king because it was a major incident and so close to the beginning (sorry Franc ). You can expect some coming characters in the interactive to live longer than they did historically.

- Poland - husaria most likely would not ever be able to number more than 12 000 men ( 8 000 was historiacally the highest number),
    Not all of the 18,000 are husaria, at least 7,000 are mercenaries (but nonetheless of very high quality), then there are also footmen, and light tatar formations (I can't reveal more details about numbers for the sake of the uncertainty aspect of the game).

- Russian army didn't win a single battle against Poles-Lithuanians since 1501
    Some 3,000 Polish infantry mercenaries and a very small number of cavalry in a city with breeched defenses shouldn't be any match to a 35,000 men large mainly infantry based Russian army with 60 guns.

Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 09-17-2006 at 07:49.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

[QUOTE=LegioXXXUlpiaVictrix]
    yes, but people must die at different times in this interactive than they did historically, so as to ensure it isn't predictable. For instance the Swedish king died one year earlier as well in a previous chapter. However I had to kill the French king because it was a major incident and so close to the beginning (sorry Franc ). You can expect some coming characters in the interactive to live longer than they did historically.

I agree, but it was a hint about certain possibilities and dangers to some players - claims such like this have its part in history, especially with small popular support among the population (revolts etc.) - overtaxation for example...

Not all of the 18,000 are husaria, at least 7,000 are mercenaries (but nonetheless of very high quality), then there are also footmen, and light tatar formations (I can't reveal more details about numbers for the sake of the uncertainty aspect of the game).
    OK.

Some 3,000 Polish infantry mercenaries and a very small number of cavalry in a city with breeched defenses shouldn't be any match to a 35,000 men large mainly infantry based Russian army with 60 guns.

It was directed to IrishArmenian - perhaps he should be aware of this 'little' detail. Because too much unreasonable confidence might not be shared by his soldiers.

One more note

- the DUTCH
    got a high share of their profit from the Baltic trade and actually importing the grain from Poland was a matter of life and death, quite literally - see their later involvement during the 'Deluge' and it was when their demands were much smaller thanks to new agricultural inventions.
    Last edited by cegorach; 09-17-2006 at 07:59.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiochusIII
    - the DUTCH
    got a high share of their profit from the Baltic trade and actually importing the grain from Poland was a matter of life and death, quite literally - see their later involvement during the 'Deluge' and it was when their demands were much smaller thanks to new agricultural inventions.
    Interesting, thanks!
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 09-17-2006 at 11:41.
    Under construction...

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Spanish embassador to the Catholic Conference in Roma is Juan Gonzalez de Mendoza, prelate of Spain.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

nevermind.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 09-17-2006 at 11:51.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

It was directed to IrishArmenian - perhaps he should be aware of this 'little' detail. Because too much unreasonable confidence might not be shared by his soldiers.
    The real Russia did not have a pact with the Ottoman Empire and was not being aided by them. I was aware of Russia's poor military situashion at the time. This very reeson is why I am using so much diplomacy.

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

How can you declare war without me even attempting to call back the Cossacks?
    The Polish crown is Catholic, and many of her peoples are Catholic. We tolerate many religions. If the Polish king's son is made Orthodox, that doesn't mean all the Polish are Orthodox.
    Moldavia is, as ceg said, split between the Ottomans and the Polish.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

His higness, the Sultan Member Randarkmaan's Avatar

OOC: Cossakcs are sort of an "excuse", if you read back a more significant reason is that I am on a close footing with Vasily... And I have promised him aid... I will not break a promise... If we all had wanted this to unfold like history we would only need to read a history book. This is about what we would like to try out to see how it could have done had it been done.

Anyway, this is about more than Cossacks and Tatars.
    "One of the nice things about looking at a bear is that you know it spends 100 per cent of every minute of every day being a bear. It doesn't strive to become a better bear. It doesn't go to sleep thinking, "I wasn't really a very good bear today". They are just 100 per cent bear, whereas human beings feel we're not 100 per cent human, that we're always letting ourselves down. We're constantly striving towards something, to some fulfilment"
    -Stephen Fry

Alright Legio I've read up on Brandenburg and am ready to go.

Also is there anyway we figure out how many soldiers we have and our economic situation or is that just what you know?
    Last edited by Csargo; 09-18-2006 at 01:16.

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Brandenburg / Preußen

Some notes:

Ancestor of Prussia was the Ordenstaat, a territory under control of the German Order. It was not part of the HRE, it was under suzerainty of the Polish king.

During Reformation, the Order converted and disbanded. It became a duchy under the rule of Albrecht von Brandenburg-Ansbach. He gave the oath of fealty to the King of Poland (1525).

Brandenburg was a part of the HRE, under the suzerainty of the HRE.

In 1618 both territories were ruled by the same person, Johann Sigismund, however still independent duchies. The Duke was under the suzerainty of both, the German Kaiser and the Polish King. I think this makes the position very interesting.

The Duke and his subjects were Protestants.

The military and economy was weak. During the 30years war BP fought with the Protestant Union, the Swedish. Its territories became depopulated and wastes. However, the Duke could gain some new areas.

Kurfürst Friedrich Wilhelm (1640–1688), managed to strengthen his country with economical reforms, a permanent army, and absolutism. He invited Huguenots that had to run from France, to settle in his countries. He also started to build a navy and to found colonies. During his reign Prussia became the strongest territory behind Austria.

The Kurfürst tried to become King. As a subject of the Kaiser, he would never been able to become King. However, his Prussian territories were outside of the HRE. He managed to become independent of the Polish King. Therefore, he had a territory that was independent from any other sovereign and he could call himself King. However, the Polish King still held some Prussian territories. To avoid any provocation, the new Prussian King called himself King in Prussia, instead of King of Prussia. Well, officially he was Duke of Brandenburg, King in Prussia.

Alright Legio I've read up on Brandenburg and am ready to go.

Also is there anyway we figure out how many soldiers we have and our economic situation or is that just what you know?
    you have a fairly good economy and can support 2,000 mercenaries abroad but also some 5,000 forces at home at the moment, though with some limited economical trouble as long as these mercenaries are in service. Your acquisition of new land has improved your economy but it'll take some chapters before you can start to fully get systems for acquiring taxes, trade income etc. built out with all the administrative matters it means for these new territories. Prussia is an important acquisition in that manner. Apart from these economical improvements you can also use politics, clever trade treaties and perhaps conquests or diplomatical acquisition of territory (marriage or getting land in return for helping someone etc) to improve economy. Your currently dominant position in the Protestant Union gives you a lot of influence with indirect control over almost 15,000 troops if you need it for defense, however your strength is limited for offensive operations against countries that aren't considered by the PU to be a threat towards the Protestant North or Protestant territories in general.
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 09-18-2006 at 19:23.
    Under construction...

Alright thanks for the information Franconius helped out some.

Declaration:

There are rumours that the Royal Government of France supports the building of a shipyard in the Osmanian Empire. This is wrong.

Maximilien, Mareshal de France

The Emperor himself shall sit at the Roman conferance.

He aslo wishes to thank France for its strong willed decisions not to help the heathens.
    However any actions taken against the Polish will be deemd an attack on the Catholic faith in the Empire and will be dealt with harshly.
    We warn Russia to keep to its place, else drastic measues be incured.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Announcement of The Dutchy of Brandenburg and The Republic of the seven united provinces of The Netherlands.

In year of our lord June 1st, 1612 AD. By the Grace of our Lord, from this day onward the Area of Protestant Union has been declared toll free area for the participants of the Protestant Union, including The Dutchy of Brandenburg and The Republic of the seven united provinces of The Netherlands. May this bring upon us wealth and prosperity.

John Sigismund, Elector of Brandenburg

Maurice of Nassau, captain- General and the stadtholder of The Republic of the seven united provinces of The Netherlands
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Quote Originally Posted by Bopa the Magyar
    The Emperor himself shall sit at the Roman conferance.

He aslo wishes to thank France for its strong willed decisions not to help the heathens.
    However any actions taken against the Polish will be deemd an attack on the Catholic faith in the Empire and will be dealt with harshly.
    We warn Russia to keep to its place, else drastic measues be incured.
    Poland has attacked, so Russia is ekspected to sit there and take it? I say no, then. The Tsar does not take the attack and clame to the throne litely, and he will not forget the harm that Poland has cosed. And I ask, what is Russia's place? It is not under Polish rule, I know that much.

From the Duke of Brandenburg,

The Duke wish to instate a rigorious training of all troops of the Duchy. This is to make sure that the troops are ready for any situation the Duchy might fall into. Also to make his military have more men the Duke wishes that all men 18-26 be ordered into training of the military. This is so that the Duchy will always have a professional army to fight with.(If I can't do this Legio just tell me and I'll delete it)

Armand-Jean I. du Plessis de Richelieu, Epsicopal de Lucon
    Ambassador of the French King:

Holy Father, noble Kaiser of the HRE, dear collegues from the Catholic countries!

Let us start the discussion.

These should be the topics:

1) How do we deal with non Catholic Christians in our coutries? The schism is a source for revolts, because some use it for their own profit.

2) How can we end the wars between Christian countries?

3) How can we end piracy?

4) How do we deal with Moslems and Orthodox and other perplexities?

5) What is our position on slavery?

I am waiting for your opinion.

Non Catholic states: Please note that you are not invited. This is an internal discussion!!

Holy Father, noble Kaiser of the HRE, dear collegues from the Catholic countries!

Let us start the discussion.

These should be the topics:

1) How do we deal with non Catholic Christians in our coutries? The schism is a source for revolts, because some use it for their own profit. Toleration, but we cannot allow them to control vast tracts of Europe for as we have seen in the case of Brandenburg, they support violent revolts of their bretheren. A limitation on their millitary powers and mutual pact among all Catholic nations to attack all Protestant rebbels where they sprout like thorns upon the grape vine.

2) How can we end the wars between Christian countries?The Holy Roman Empire merley wishes that the other Catholic countrie allow the Emperor to deal with his subjects as he wishes and rule his land as he wishes. He also calls for a war against the vile Turks to be coordinated for by all Catholic rulers.

Perhaps a fairer hand to England and the Netherlands in the North Americas, and more open market and a united Catholic navy under the command of a Catholic league council.

Destruction of these Heathens and Infidels ais the only answer, they already call for the destruction of Poland the Catholic bastion of the east.

5) What is our position on slavery
    All non-Christians (and those conquerd heathen who refuse to convert) must either be put to the sword or be made into slavery.

The Holy Roman Emperor calls for all Catholics nations to join the league else we might be surrounded and submerged in a wave of the followers of the Anti Christ!

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

I thank the Kaiser for this flaming statement of faith.
    This is the position of the French King:

1) How do we deal with non Catholic Christians in our coutries? The schism is a source for revolts, because some use it for their own profit. Toleration, but we cannot allow them to control vast tracts of Europe for as we have seen in the case of Brandenburg, they support violent revolts of their bretheren. A limitation on their millitary powers and mutual pact among all Catholic nations to attack all Protestant rebbels where they sprout like thorns upon the grape vine.
    "Put away your sword" These are the words of the Lord. The French King believes the the word of the Lord is the only adequate weapon to fight and convert people of different faith. However, He also condemns all those who use their religion as a false pretenece for greed.

2) How can we end the wars between Christian countries?The Holy Roman Empire merley wishes that the other Catholic countrie allow the Emperor to deal with his subjects as he wishes and rule his land as he wishes. He also calls for a war against the vile Turks to be coordinated for by all Catholic rulers.
    The King of France wishes, that all Catholic leaders rule to a common code of honor. This includes not to use subversive means against others or the surpression of religious freedom.

Perhaps a fairer hand to England and the Netherlands in the North Americas, and more open market and a united Catholic navy under the command of a Catholic league council.

I think this council should condemn any form of piracy like the King of France does. The French King declares, that any attack against the French sea trade will be responded with military means.

Destruction of these Heathens and Infidels ais the only answer, they already call for the destruction of Poland the Catholic bastion of the east.

"Put away your sword" These are the words of the Lord. The French King believes the the word of the Lord is the only adequate weapon to fight and convert people of different faith. However, He also condemns all those who use their religion as a false pretenece for greed.

5) What is our position on slavery
    All non-Christians (and those conquerd heathen who refuse to convert) must either be put to the sword or be made into slavery.

Slavery is good, if the target is to convert the slaves to Christians. Then, they have to be freed.
    Last edited by Franconicus; 09-19-2006 at 13:34.

Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast