Page 116 of 167 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119120126166 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,480 of 5005

Thread: LEN Teh Footy God's Footballodium

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Default Re: LEN Teh Footy God's Footballodium

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    We're still playing pretty averagely, but we just aren't losing. Capello must be putting something extra in the water.
    Well he must be putting something somewhere to get Defoe looking like a worldclass striker.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

#Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    Belgium are beyond hope and redemption. I'd joke about it, but they are too far down for that... Painful, might as well withdraw the national team from this competition and prevent further agony.
    Precursor to annexation?
    it's the **** that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Quote Originally Posted by SSNeoperestroika View Post
    Alright, though it was my understanding that Liédson in particular is an exception, who had just had a passport fast-tracked.
    Liedson is from Sporting. What's more, he's actually better than most high-quality uber forwards such as Torres or Luca Toni, etc. Taking those two into account, he is only worthy of such special treatment. Next naturalization I'm supporting is Porto's Hulk. Let's hope Brazil somehow doesn't notice him until it's too late.
    BLARGH!

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    Liedson is from Sporting. What's more, he's actually better than most high-quality uber forwards such as Torres or Luca Toni, etc. Taking those two into account, he is only worthy of such special treatment. Next naturalization I'm supporting is Porto's Hulk. Let's hope Brazil somehow doesn't notice him until it's too late.
    Do you not feel a wee bit uneasy about being turned into Brazil B?

SSNeo - Belgium were not doing all that hot as it was. Then, last week, a player from Standard Liege gruesomely tackled a player from Anderlecht. Broke his leg. They are the two top teams at the moment, bitter rivals. It all created quite a row, following, as it did, two bitterly contested, very physical games to decide last season's title. Players from either club aren't speaking to each other at the national team. It doesn't help that Liege is Walloon, and Anderlecht from Brussels etc etc. Pretty sad. They have a fine bunch of talented youngsters. Belgium was a great football power once too. I want them back! If only for some hotly contested games against France - which we then lose on grit and determination.

How does Scotland manage with players from Celtic and Rangers anyway? I never hear about any animosity when the national team is playing? In Spain it used to be a problem, regional problems and difficulties between the players from Madrid and Barcelona. Nowadays, not not so anymore (which goes some way to explaining why they always underachieved).
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Somebody called?

We are not capable of scoring more than one goal. Domenech's such a coward. I don't mind him that much, but for Pete's sake, grow a spine and throw in those attacking players.

Also...'Romanian Brothers?' I seem to recall a bit of a fraternal row between you and Edyz a few months ago, about Romania-Serbia?
    We'll see what happens on Wednesday, Sarmatian.
    Then again, all you guys need to do is to score once, then you are assured of at least a draw. Even if not, the group is basically over. Serbia first, France second unless we mess up again against Austria.
    Like you've said when we talked about players from North Africa playing for France - when they do ok, they're French, when they mess something up, they're Africans :D

So, as I've said, Romanians are at the moment brothers and dearest neighbours...

Now seriously, France was the better team. I didn't watch the whole game, but that's the impression I've got. Will be interesting on Wednesday, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    We're still playing pretty averagely, but we just aren't losing. Capello must be putting something extra in the water.
    Nope, that's just Capello for you. Every team he coached he managed to get them to play poor to average and yet to win.

Grand Master Member Afonso I of Portugal's Avatar
    Lisboa, Portugal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Afonso_I_of_Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    Next naturalization I'm supporting is Porto's Hulk. Let's hope Brazil somehow doesn't notice him until it's too late.
    Gah! no way! fortunately he's at Porto only for one season and only in 2014 he can be eventualy naturalized...we aren't Brasil B for sure...bah!
    "Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communist revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win. Workers of the world, Unite!" - Manifesto of the Communist Party, Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels, 1848.
    "What does not kill us makes us stronger" - Friedrich Nietzsche.
    "Lord, protect me from people who love and trust, because I take care of my enemies" - Voltaire.
    "I can not agree with any of the words you say but defend to the death your right to say them" - Voltaire.
    "The main illnesses that attack the man comes from ignorance" - Voltaire.

Alright, though it was my understanding that Liédson in particular is an exception, who had just had a passport fast-tracked.
    Actualy, he only had the right to be naturalized in the end of the month, but Portuguese federation asked foreigners cabinet to fast-tracked him in 2/3 weeks.
    Last edited by Afonso I of Portugal; 09-07-2009 at 00:03.
    "Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communist revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win. Workers of the world, Unite!" - Manifesto of the Communist Party, Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels, 1848.
    "Lord, protect me from people who love and trust, because I take care of my enemies" - Voltaire.
    "I can not agree with any of the words you say but defend to the death your right to say them" - Voltaire.

Do you not feel a wee bit uneasy about being turned into Brazil B?
    We are far from being Brazil B in any length. France on the other hand, is Africa United, for instance. We are still far far away from reaching the threshold of France.

I'm a bit pragmatic in our country's case. If we have good players to field them in our national team, then I'm all in favor that migrants be marginalized so our national players can play. Thus why I was against calling Paulo Assunção. We have plenty of world-class midfielders to field. I was originally against Pepe, as we have our share of world class defenders as well, but Pepe has proven to be a true Portuguese in every extent (Besides not being born in Portugal). On the forwards case, we have no forwards worth mentioning, therefore the pragmatic approach kicks in. Liedson is there, and can be of use (Heck, ten years from now, noone will remember who he was so bleh.) to our nation before he passes his prime, then great. Same goes for Hulk. Of course, if we get another Pauleta or an Eusebio, I'm more than happy to kick Hulk out (Though a Hulk in the Portuguese side is everything we need.) Besides calling Brazil B, a team which has 3 Brazillians, where two of them speak more of a portuguese accent (Pepe and Deco) then a Brazillian one, and where the rest of the 25 players are Portuguese, I can hardly call such a team a Brazil B.
    Of course, if there's a nation that should rightfully field Brazillians, its Portugal. We made Brazil, and having Brazillians playing for us is just a way of cashing in the fruits of our empire.
    BLARGH!

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

We are far from being Brazil B in any length. France on the other hand, is Africa United, for instance. We are still far far away from reaching the threshold of France.
    It is not about colour. It is about the difference between a multi-cultural team that reflects a nation, and naturalizing foreign players with the specific purpose of playing them in the national football team.

Below is a great and very sobering list, of many countries. Note that none of the French players were naturalized. France simply has Europe's most diverse population.

http://www.soccerphile.com/soccerphi...turalized.html
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Couldn't agree more re: naturalisation. As for the list, was struck by the absence of Camoranesi, to name but one. [And they're considering naturalising Amauri now. Should probably see if they can take Kaladze too- although yes, it seems they have already, etc.]

Oh, and on those of the ugly sisters playing together for the national side? I'd say there've not been any significant problems in recent times. Players may or may not have been at previous clubs together before being poached, but either way maybe an overarching team spirit can prevail. [Greater cause an' all that mince, eh.] If it hadn't, I'm sure somebody would've given Scott Brown a good kicking by now.
    Last edited by scotchedpommes; 09-08-2009 at 01:56.

Hit the bar and the post. Kenny Miller should've scored.

Well there we go again. Hello pain.
    Last edited by scotchedpommes; 09-09-2009 at 21:13.

and we're in

Would be interested to know how Serbia can fail to beat 10 men given more than 80 minutes.

By playing pathetically entire second half?

That was what I would've guessed. Cheers.

How! How! How can you have so little luck. Every miss/half-chance was so teasing, so cruel and the way the goal was conceded just made it worse.

Yey for Dudu. Out-jumping defenders much taller than him to create the goal-mouth scramble and then poach the goal.

Edit: So Louis, who is tonight's tête de Turc?
    Last edited by naut; 09-09-2009 at 23:13.
    #Hillary4prism

Portugal still on track for the play-offs. The awesome thing about today is that since Denmark tied with Albania, now they can't do the Scandinavian Pact and allow Sweden to go to the play-offs as if they lose then they'll be at risk of being themselves playing in the play-offs.
    That being so, we are sure to see Denmark trying to go all out of a win. If Sweden loses and we win again against Hungary then we have practically a passport for the play-offs (Provided we don't lose against Malta). Norway seems to be going to be on the bottom of all the second places, (as Portugal is right now, not counting Malta, we even would go over Norway to the play-offs) so all we need would to win the next two matches and hope Sweden is beaten by Denmark. Then once we proceed to wtfpwn anyone who gets in our way in the play-offs, we'll have our revenge in the World Cup.

Still, its a long shot.
    BLARGH!

More than a decent chance that those play-offs will contain Germany [who aren't winning in Russia, no.] and France. It'll be interesting. Don't think you would've had to have been concerned about Scandinavian collaboration this time in any case, but even so. Norway aren't going anywhere, so don't worry about dropping out of the play-offs that way.

I've just about had enough of drinking in another epic, glorious failure, so all I can think to say is come on Ireland. Just need to get it done against the Italians.

Edit: Well, seeing Veron sent off just now brought some cheer.
    Last edited by scotchedpommes; 09-10-2009 at 01:19.

Scotland's profile at the FIFA's web page:
    "Though they have a long and proud football tradition, Scotland are known throughout the world as something of a FIFA World Cup almost team."

That was what I would've guessed. Cheers.

Bah. Entire second half there was only one team on the pitch and that was France. Milos Ninkovic wasn't able to cover for Kacar who got injured in the first half. Also, Jovanovic, Krasic and Zigic were nowhere to be seen in the second half, only Ivanovic was good. Defense was adequate but the offensive left much to be desired.

Worth mentioning is the poor refereeing of the Italian Rosseti. There was no penalty in the 10th minute and even if there was, Lloris didn't deserve to be sent off. Then in the second half, when he was probably told about it, he over-compensated for it by allowing the French some very hard tackling and instantly stopping the game whenever a French player was even touched, all culminating with another idiotic red card, this time to Danko Lazovic, in 88th minute for no reason.

I was also surprised by somewhat underhanded tactics emplyed by some French players after they were left with 10 men. They were trying to provoke an incident with some below the belt hitting. Even players from who you would never expect such behaviour, like Henry.

All that is no excuse however. When you have a lead and numerical advantage for most the game and you're playing at home you simply can't allow to be pushed back for most of the second half. France controlled the second part of the game and they more than deserved this draw.

Big congratulation to Faroe Island, they've beaten Lithuania. Totally unexpected, can't remember the last time they won in an official match.

In other groups, England totally trashed Croatia, something I didn't expect. Now Croatia has a very slim chance to qualify. Portugal was lucky, they're still in the game and it looks like Bosnia will get to play-offs!

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Bosnia did what should've been done; played all right and now they've practically qualified.

I was going out to meet friends and barely looked at the match, the first few minutes. The Turks' goal was really beautiful but lucky too. The commentators and all were going orgasm and they didn't have the eye to see three consecutive almost goals saved by the goal keeper. The left wing of the Turkish defence was crumbling and the midfield had no connection with the back whatsoever. I told to myself "Bosnia will score, she will my preciousss" and I was right.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

AHAHAHA, headlines from the major Portuguese sports newspaper

"Hulk doesn't deny the possibility of playing for Portugal"

However, he reinstates his main objective is playing for Brazil -_-'
    BLARGH!

Old Twitchy is a Gooner...

Edit: COMON STOKE! Blast last minute winner. I'll be left praying for an asteroid to land at White Hart Lane so no one wins.

Season is precarious 6 games in. I despair.

Ah well, can't get too wound up. You win some you lose some. Early days yet.
    Last edited by naut; 09-12-2009 at 17:05.
    #Hillary4prism

Well, at least Rosický's back, eh. Finally.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Getafe: 0 ― Barcelona: 2

The first 50-some minutes did not satisfy, let alone impress me. Barça's defence was like melted cheese (three absolute goals prevented merely by Valdes's vigour) and the midfield ineffective against the well closing Getafe. Pedro and Jeffren were insufficient, the latter particularly incapable of reaching for the passes. Puyol was not a good right-back, which he isn't at all in the first place...

Then came the substitutions. Messi and Iniesta replaced Pedro and Jeffren and soon later Alves was in the pitch restoring the right-back position. The first goal was pure poetry! Xavi and Iniesta's delicate play in the middle, fore left to Keita, on to the magic feet of Ibrâhimović and voila. The second one was also beautifully played by Zlatan to Messi's head but Getafe's defence contributed too.

The match was handsomely saved but for the team in general it's not really good news. Apparently the substitutes of the midfield and the strikers aren't working properly -- yet! Until they upgrade to the team's standards soon this fan is concerned.
    Last edited by Mouzafphaerre; 09-13-2009 at 02:45.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Adebayor should be banned for life. Or maybe banned from living?

And his goal celebration was an absolute disgrace.

Filthy, filthy . I hope he faces severe retribution, legal or illegal.
    Last edited by naut; 09-14-2009 at 02:09.
    #Hillary4prism

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

The stamp was bad, luckily it was only a glancing blow or van Persie could have been seriously hurt. I hate it when football fans mete out abuse at somebody then go crying to their mommy when a player gives them some back. Both Adebayor and the Arsenal fans came out of that match looking pathetic in my book.
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 09-14-2009 at 04:07.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    I hate it when football fans mete out abuse at somebody
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Are you seriously saying the fans treated Ade badly during his time at Arsenal? I never noticed the fans berating Ade for no reason. The fans rightly were not impressed when he tried two seasons ago to engineer a move to Milan or Barca, while at the same time demanding a pay-double to stay. Then after agreeing to stay we expected him to play well, but he never turned up at all, he was lazy and lethargic. He continued his fight with Bendtner, and had the nerve to blame Bendtner in public, and was disruptive in the dressing room. He was pathetic with his bleatings to the press about perceived injustices and that infamous Football Focus interview where he tried to compare himself to Cesc. Guess what, Cesc may be wanted by Barcalona but he doesn't tell the press that to him Barca is like Beyonce, in fact he does the opposite he tells the press he isn't going. Ade on the otherhand has no class and tried to leave the moment he had the chance, far enough in it's own right, but not in the manner he approached it. Fans abusing Ade? Hardly, more retribution for being a backstabbing slimeball.

Looks like he's getting a 6 match ban. Serves him right.

Goodplaya extrapolates better than I ever could.

Anyway. I just saw the Alex Witsel tackle in the Belgian league. HOLY CRAP HORRIBLE TACKLE! He's been banned in Belgium until November, yet he is playing tomorrow, I hope he doesn't dare try injure our players. I'd link it but it's fairly graphic.
    Last edited by naut; 09-16-2009 at 10:46.
    #Hillary4prism

Bump.

Pretty football pictures on page 2, 3 and 4. (Plus more scattered through the rest of the album).
    Last edited by naut; 09-30-2009 at 13:48.
    #Hillary4prism

Page 116 of 167 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119120126166 ... LastLast