Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steve Irwin killed by stingray

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Default Steve Irwin killed by stingray

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...lia_irwin_dc_1

Very sad...
    Always liked the guy and his love for animals and their conservation. I know some people didn't like him but I thought he was great. What a shame. The world just got a little colder.
    RIP Tosa

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default Re: Steve Irwin killed by stingray

He seemed like a heck of a guy- I think the world is a little more dull without him.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Signifer, Cohors II Legio II Member Comrade Alexeo's Avatar

Semper fi, Steve.

Signifer Titus Vorenus
    Cohors II Legion II
    Triana Fortis

http://www.geocities.com/tuccius2112...ianaindex.html

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Rather sad, only really knew of him in the last 5 years or so... he was more famous overseas then locally on the whole.

Energetic and ethusiasitc about what he did. Just had the annoying Queensland accent...

Seemed a top bloke, but a little bit foolhardy (babies and crocs don't mix).
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

R.I.P

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries

A bit too brash for my tastes, but seemed like he had an extremely big heart.

RIP Mate.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

I feel sorry for his wife, at least he passed away doing something he loved.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

RIP, I actually watched The Crocodile Hunter when I had a chance.
    "Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Alexeo
    Semper fi, Steve.

Semper Fi? You a Marine or was he?

A sad day. I was bothered but not shocked. The man took very real risks.

He was a statement of the last decade. Crikey!
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Most Australians will feel his death. Steve was very popular over here; he helped to promote awareness about Australian wildlife.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Oh no's! I had grown so fond of that nutcase

rip

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Cool Re: Steve Irwin killed by stingray

my condolences to his wife and kid.....

but seriously....one had to expect this.....just another case of evolution working....

I think this guy qualifies...for a darwin award!
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin
    my condolences to his wife and kid.....

but seriously....one had to expect this.....just another case of evolution working....

I tend to agree, stingrays are not the most agressive of creatures. Infact they are normally pretty shy. I just wonder what he did to provoke a reaction from one.

The guy did a lot of good and condolences to his family, but poke wildlife too much and it will bite back.

It was only a matter of time really, but I'm sure he'll be missed.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

This is truly a pity. As an Australian, I for one will miss him.

RIP Steve.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

First of all, he had 2 kids already so I doubt he qualifies.

Second, wow that's insensitive.... lots of people do dangerous jobs- but I don't think it's appropriate to say they're too dumb to live if they die in an accident. Sure, he took risks, but he always had safety in mind with a whole team backing him up and entertained people while drawing important attention to threatened habitats. Would you nominate a zookeeper for a Darwin Award if they were killed caring for elephants? Swimming with a stingray is hardly asking for death.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Blog Entries

More insight into the reasons that may have caused his death

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...6-1702,00.html

its unfortunate he died this way, because Sting Ray Fatalities are really low
    Last edited by Samurai Waki; 09-04-2006 at 09:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou
    First of all, he had 2 kids already so I doubt he qualifies.

Second, wow that's insensitive.... lots of people do dangerous jobs- but I don't think it's appropriate to say they're too dumb to live if they die in an accident. Sure, he took risks, but he always had safety in mind with a whole team backing him up and entertained people while drawing important attention to threatened habitats. Would you nominate a zookeeper for a Darwin Award if they were killed caring for elephants? Swimming with a stingray is hardly asking for death.

lots of people do dangerous jobs yes.....but most people that do these jobs don´t seek out danger willingly.

there are plenty of nature documentary guys that draw attention to endangered habitats without walking up to a poisonous snake, grabbing it by it´s tail and proceding to piss the animal off to a degree that it wants to bite you.

Now...these guys don´t have the same kind of ratings on TV that Irwin did....and we all know why...deep down the viewer at home is watching to see how far this guy can go before he gets bit/poisoned/whatever.....and I bet he knew it too....it just finally caught up with him.

To answer your question, I would nominate a zookeeper for a darwin award if said zookeeper actively searched danger on his day-to-day work in a reckless way....there is a safe way to do things, even if working with dangerous animals, and then there´s showing off.

like someone said above you have to really piss a stingray off before the animal reacts and does something...so one has to wonder about the actual details of the event.
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

I was really fond of that cackling crone. I'll surely miss him, and his "Crikey!".

R.I.P. Steve Irwin - one of the greatest men in history of wildlife
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

lots of people do dangerous jobs yes.....but most people that do these jobs don´t seek out danger willingly.
    Really? Arent coal miners 'actively seeking danger' everytime they go to work? Alaskan crab fishing is the most dangerous occupation there is- every season averages several deaths. Should they get Darwin Awards?

there are plenty of nature documentary guys that draw attention to endangered habitats without walking up to a poisonous snake, grabbing it by it´s tail and proceding to piss the animal off to a degree that it wants to bite you.
    How many times was he bitten by venomous snakes? Never. Do you think that was just dumb luck or did he have some inkling of what he was doing? It's not like he was killed putting his head in a crocodile's mouth or kissing a great white. He was killed by a sting ray. Divers regularly touch and pet them and few are ever stung- even the few that are rarely suffer serious effects. Again, if a recreation scuba diver were killed after touching a stingray (which we dont even know if Steve did), would you suggest they get a Darwin Award?
    -Abraham Lincoln

I have grown up watching the Crocodile Hunter on TV, when I was 7 it used to be something the entire family would watch. Though I was disappointed about not getting to see him when I went to Australia at the age of 7.

It is quite sad and he will be dearly missed in our family.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Really? Arent coal miners 'actively seeking danger' everytime they go to work? Alaskan crab fishing is the most dangerous occupation there is- every season averages several deaths. Should they get Darwin Awards?
    Their jobs are necessary (well, everything is replaceable in the end) and often people doing these jobs have very little choice. How many coal miners have you heard of that love their job and left an office job to be able to go down in the mines ? How many other forms of employment are available to the Alaskan crab fishers ?

What he did was partly for his own entertainment, he got ratings and became a celebrity, sure. Pete Doherty is a celebrity, he takes excessive amounts of drugs yet has never ODed afaik. He seems to know what he's doing.
    Now comparing anyone to Pete is a bit harsh. But what about mountain climbers ? A lot of people do that professionally (as guides, photographers or just for glory for the sponsors), when they go up they know they might not be coming down. Sure, the chances of getting caught in an avalanche when descending from the Mont Blanc are rather small, but it does happen and people do get killed climbing the same mountain hundreds of others have climbed (and you don't want to know how many 'victims' Everest has claimed). These are people that do have a choice. Nobody can convince me that mountain climbing or snake harassing is your only option of employment. These are people who do/did what they love and accepted (or denied) the consequences.

So, does he deserve a Darwin award ? Heck no, he has kids, disqualifying him immediately, and he didn't do anything nearly stupid/funny enough anyway.

Was it to be expected that one day fate would catch up with him and he'd suffer an untimely death ? Yes.

Live fast, die young.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

The Ultimate Grand Inquisitor! Member UltraWar's Avatar

RIP Crocodile Hunter

Cool Re: Steve Irwin killed by stingray

what those people do is necessary....(one can discuss to what degree...for example do we really need alaskan crab?....but still)...what Irwin did..(or better yet) the dangerous way in which he did it...was not.

How many times was he bitten by venomous snakes? Never. Do you think that was just dumb luck or did he have some inkling of what he was doing? It's not like he was killed putting his head in a crocodile's mouth or kissing a great white. He was killed by a sting ray. Divers regularly touch and pet them and few are ever stung- even the few that are rarely suffer serious effects. Again, if a recreation scuba diver were killed after touching a stingray (which we dont even know if Steve did), would you suggest they get a Darwin Award?
    I can´t say this with absolute certainty but I´m fairly certain I once saw a documentary of his were he did get bit by some snake.....when you have this kind of occupation these things will happen......I´d be very surprised if indeed he never got bitten.

If the scuba diver had somehow provoqued the stingray he would deserve a darwin award....like you said we do not know what has happened exactly in this situation, but Steve´s entire fame came from confronting animals, most of the times in ways that were in no way safe.......
    like you said....the average scuba diver doesn´t normally get stung....but the average scuba diver also doesn´t grab snakes and jump into muddy waters with crocodiles.........see a pattern here?
    -Josh Homme
    - Calvin

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Ya he got bitten, saw that as well. Ronin is right of course, wrestling crocs isn't the smartest thing to do.

Is anyone actually surprised the guy was a nutcase.

When I first saw him on tv I said that an animal was going to get him.
    Formerly ceasar010

I'm glad his baby didn't die too.

Like he might have the time when he dangled his baby in front of live hungry crocodiles.

Him being dead means the world is a safer place for his kids, which he put in grave danger whilst he was alive.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

He was intelligent, was a teacher, had guts, a lot of heart, cared about the world, and he died in the pursuit of knowledge.

Very sad.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beirut
    He was intelligent, was a teacher, had guts, a lot of heart, cared about the world, and he died in the pursuit of knowledge.

Very sad.
    David Attenborough did more to promote knowledge of the natural world than Steve Irwin, and he never took any risks unacceptable to experts in the field. Irwin's career was akin to that of Roman gladiators, except he and the wild animals had a more even contest, and like a gladiator, the risks eventually caught up with him. It was entertaining while it lasted, however.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast