Thread: SP: Running from AI to kill the clock

Okay, I admit it. Lately, on my first foray into the Expert setting, I've been leaving a single cavalry archer in my border highland provinces. When I am attacked, I just outrun the nasty AI armies until the clock runs down, giving me a de facto victory.

Now, what I'm curious about is: do other folks do this? Is this just too cheesy for words? Hell, *I'm* not the one who put the feature in the program. Not that I'm defensive...

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

It ain't easy being cheesy.Do what you want in single player campaign,but don't do it online or no one will want to play you.You only cheat yourself that way.
    Tito
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

Work's best with the daimyo and his body guard in provinces that are getting ronin risings. It's a nice small unit so it can't get caught easily, and it's high honour (ironic given this tactic) so it won't rout off the field to easily, plus you get to rack up easy victories for your daimyo

------------------
    It's not a bug, it's a feature
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

You cheap *^%$#@!!!!!

Well, may be I should admit I've tried that many times :P

------------------
    A great warrior never reveal his true skills....
    A great warrior rarely reveal his true skills....

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

I'd never do that! (What? Never?) Well, Hardly ever.... hehe

------------------
    Wind fells blossoms, rain
    fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

I always turn the clock off and never give it another thought so I can't be tempted!
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Barbarian of the north Member Magraev's Avatar

Sounds boring and rather unsportsmanlike.

If you can't fight fair take the difficulty down a notch - no shame in that.
    Nope - no sig what so ever.

If you've got one unit of cav and the ai invades with anysort of balanced army, or more tha two or three units it's the only way to win a battle. There's nothing wrong with that in my opinion, though ideally you probably ought to play with no timer.

------------------

Well irl (if it exists) what would you do in this situation - you'd flee! So hiding in the woods is exploiting an engine feature and is therefore imho like cheating.

I dunno if the timer should go, it's ok to be under some pressure as attacker, and it makes attacking at wintertime less attractive - as it should be.

I have played the catch me if you can with cav a couple of times. But I never planned it from the start. Once it was a high honor unit of CA and I ran around skirmishing until the timer ran out. With the new victory conditions in the Xpac this tactic might become useless.

Timer or no timer. To me the timer adds realism. You can't fight a battle forever. Darkness eventually falls and the battle has to end. I have won some battles because the timer saved me. But more often the timer saved the AI from a loss. So the timer giveth and the timer taketh away. I like it because otherwise I would spend my entire life playing STW.

------------------
    All your base are belong to us
    All your base are belong to us

The timer comes into play most often (for me) in a bridge defense. With a 16 unit army facing 4-6 thousand enemy troops that keep pouring in reinforcements it seems appropriate that nightfall would end combat, ie: the timer ends the battle.

As for running a cav unit around, I've only done that when playing Takeda, early in the game in the western provinces. What else does Takeda have there?

As for being unfair, attack the computer in fog or winter and see if the AI uses the 'evade and conquer' method. If you've not seen it, you haven't been playing long. The AI uses the clock well.

Unlimited timer belies the the attackers ability to wait only 4 days to decide the weather, doesn't it? You choose the weather and then the day never ends?

No, you have a limited option to choose the weather and then a limited time to finish the battle. Unlimited time is good online for overcoming campers, without doubt, and I wouldn't begrudge it there for that reason. But, using it against the AI, which can't really compete with gray matter is unfair.

------------------

Senior Member Senior Member Shiro's Avatar

Damn that cheap! I tried that once but I got no fun out of it. It was just boring.
    "Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
    -Solypsist
    "Catiline is the one with the black rag and Shiro is erm...the other one..."
    -Tosa

I see your point Shai, and I have seen the computer use it too often to mention, but it just doesn't seem right.

This is not my idea of a battle in medieval Japan - a unit of cavalry hiding in the woods until nightfall. They should fight or retreat.

I must admit, that I usually don't play on the hardest difficultylevel, hence my comments above about there being no shame in that I understand if you have to do it to win, but I still don't like it!

I have tried this but found after a while the unit I was using just routed anyway and the AI were awared victory.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

Didz.. Yes! Like you, I've never won that way, not once! They tire, then lose morale from having enemy behind them. Maybe I'm doing it wrong..hehe

------------------

That's why you need to use your oh so honourable daimya and his hatamato. Works best with Takeda, hit Hojo hard and fast take Mushashi and that other big one next to it and get your Daimyo in that little peninsula province. Then pull out the rest of the troops from there to hold the other to against an irate Hojo and leave your Daimyo to deal with the Ronin rebels that you're guaranteed in that little province. Run around ti lthe AI is thoroughly confused, it'll spread out to find you march around getting tired and leave it's general unsupported and asking to be smashed from the rear. Then you charge (or keep hiding). Yes this is dull and boring and dishonourable, but it does have advantages on occaison

------------------

If you have a problem with such tactics, read Sun Tzu a little more. So little about war is 'honorable'...
    Hasta la victoria siempre
    -Che Guevara

Remeber that Sun Tzu wrote a whole chapter on using fire in combat. I don't think a few horseman cornered in a small forest would hold out too long against a sentient opponent... besides, if you're running and hiding, the enemy controls the battlefield, and can cheerfully seize (or raze/kill) everything and everybody that matters, while a few meaningless horseman cower in fear.

------------------
    He is justly served; It is a poison temper'd by himself.
    He is justly served; It is a poison temper'd by himself.