Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Total War CTDs and Solutions

Default Re: Medieval Total War CTDs and Solutions

HELP!!

Guys, I'm new to the forum. And I need your help desperately.

My problem is I have just recently bought a copy of Medieval Total War (Gold Edition) which includes the Viking Invasion pack but it will not run for me.

I have a Pentium 3 with 933mhz processor, WinXP Home (SP 2), and GeForce 2 graphics card with 256mb of RAM. I know it is an old machine but I am well over the specs to run the game. But when I double click the start icon the screen goes black for a few moments and then a warning dialog appears telling me the I am running a debugger and the game won't go any further.

How do I know if a debugger is actually running and how do I deactivate it?

I am dying to try out my game and I'm getting very frustrated as I have tried everything. I hope someone on this forum can help and my apologies if I am posting in the wrong section of the forum.

Many thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by icarus0626
    i can't believe my noodles!! it actually works!!
    you've just saved my soul!! i am so much into the worship of you..
    Glad you got it working icarus0626

It would be helpful to others if you could detail exactly what you did and what it was that worked?
    Quote Originally Posted by icarus0626
    but now i'm thinking of getting a new vid card and scrapping the old one..
    *smash!!

any suggestions? hopefully something i can use to play MTW2 and other modern games that needs pixel shaders, etc and at the same time run MTW..
    preferably something that can run MTW on a more recent driver... or something..
    In doing this you will open up the "new graphics card won't run MTW" can of worms. Also, and I'm going by your 1.1GHz AMD Duron CPU here, you system seems rather low end, and probably doesn't have a motherboard with PCIe slots? In all honesty you're looking at a new system. If you want to get a cheap, not quite as dated, stopgap card to replace that one (though I'm not even sure that's worth it) post up a new thread in the hardware and software forum and see what suggestions people come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval
    HELP ME!!!

Im really desperate. I'm getting a CTD when I enter the campaign. My settings:

- unit size: HUGE
    - camp map resolution: 1152x8(something)
    - battlemap resolution: 1280x1024

Intel Pentium IV 3.2
    512MB DDRII
    ATI RADEON X700 256MB

Help me please. It's patched to 2.1
    Which ATI driver version? If it's the latest drivers, that could be your problem. That is not to say that the latest drivers or newer cards are always the cause of this but it is very common.

Is it an AGP card? If so disable the "AGP Texture Acceleration" from dxdiag.

Try lower resolutions, such as 1024*768. Set your desktop (temporarily) to the same (and 16 bit colour) and see if that eliminates it.

When exactly does the crash occur? Check your MTW error.log file and post up contents here.

Add the "skipcredits.txt" file to the MTW working directory if you haven't done so already.

Quote Originally Posted by brkill
    HELP!!

Guys, I'm new to the forum. And I need your help desperately.

My problem is I have just recently bought a copy of Medieval Total War (Gold Edition) which includes the Viking Invasion pack but it will not run for me.
    Welcome to the .org brkill
    Quote Originally Posted by brkill
    I have a Pentium 3 with 933mhz processor, WinXP Home (SP 2), and GeForce 2 graphics card with 256mb of RAM. I know it is an old machine but I am well over the specs to run the game. But when I double click the start icon the screen goes black for a few moments and then a warning dialog appears telling me the I am running a debugger and the game won't go any further.

How do I know if a debugger is actually running and how do I deactivate it?

I am dying to try out my game and I'm getting very frustrated as I have tried everything. I hope someone on this forum can help and my apologies if I am posting in the wrong section of the forum.

Many thanks in advance.
    Do you have Nero Burning ROM installed? I believe this to be due to a "conflict" between the supposed "debugger" (something to do with the video codec) in Nero and the safedisc copy protection software (basically the idea seems to be that a debugger may allow someone to trace the program execution and perhaps observe how the safedisc works, so to be safe it disallows it (yes it's crapware that tells you what you can and cannot run on your own computer and it doesn't work properly either )). If you do have Nero installed go to start -> run and type (you can copy and paste):

Code:
    regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\DSFilter\NeVideo.ax"
    This will unregister the component (the video decoder) that is causing the problem. If it fails it may be because you've installed Nero to a different location to the one above. In this case you'll need to edit the path to match your location or it won't do anything. Reboot after this and try to run MTW again.

You will lose some functionality of Nero but you can re-enable this functionality when necessary by doing:

Code:
    "regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\DSFilter\NeVideo.ax"
    To disable it run the first command again (at least I think that will work, but have your Nero CD handy just in case).

If Nero isn't causing this then it could be another program, though it's usually Nero 99% of the time, depending on what you have installed on your PC?
    Last edited by caravel; 05-11-2007 at 16:40.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cambyses II
    Which ATI driver version? If it's the latest drivers, that could be your problem. That is not to say that the latest drivers or newer cards are always the cause of this but it is very common.

Is it an AGP card? If so disable the "AGP Texture Acceleration" from dxdiag.

Try lower resolutions, such as 1024*768. Set your desktop (temporarily) to the same (and 16 bit colour) and see if that eliminates it.

When exactly does the crash occur? Check your MTW error.log file and post up contents here.

Add the "skipcredits.txt" file to the MTW working directory if you haven't done so already.
    Something like 6.5 I think. Dunno, I have to check this. It's a PCI Express 16x card, really new. Lower resolutions, will try it.

Ok, will check everything and post.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval
    Something like 6.5 I think. Dunno, I have to check this. It's a PCI Express 16x card, really new. Lower resolutions, will try it.

Ok, will check everything and post.
    If that fails try following the instructions in this post:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...&postcount=140

Considering your card does fit the category of the pre X1xxx series mentioned, it may do the trick.

Good luck.

Hello, new to the forum, glad I found it because everyone here seems helpfull.

I just bought Total War: Eras

I have a graphics problem wich I can't find a solution. I installed Shogun TW and Medieval TW (the problem is exactly the same for both games). When I try to run the games, I receive an error prompt that says something like "To run this software your screen resolution should be no less than 800x600".

That's just it. The game simply doesn't launch, I never got to see the main menu. I already had bought RTW so, thus far, buying this box was totally uselless to me :(

I obviously have a much higher resolution than 800x600 and I tried lowering it and switching to different display settings but nothing worked.

This seems to be a different problem than many of the posters here refered, so I haven't tried the steps in the first post regarding cleaning the drivers and installing old ones. Should I???

My computer is a Pentium IV 2.8 GHz with 1GB of Ram.

The graphics gard is a Nvidia Geforce FX5500 (oh noooooooooooo...)

Well, if you need more information about my system please ask, I know very little about computers but I'll sort it out.

Thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Arruda
    Hello, new to the forum, glad I found it because everyone here seems helpfull.
    Welcome, Arruda, to the .org

I just bought Total War: Eras

I have a graphics problem wich I can't find a solution. I installed Shogun TW and Medieval TW (the problem is exactly the same for both games). When I try to run the games, I receive an error prompt that says something like "To run this software your screen resolution should be no less than 800x600".

That's just it. The game simply doesn't launch, I never got to see the main menu. I already had bought RTW so, thus far, buying this box was totally uselless to me :(

I obviously have a much higher resolution than 800x600 and I tried lowering it and switching to different display settings but nothing worked.
    The only obvious thing I can think of at the moment is drivers, which version are you running?

Also it may be that the the game is trying to display on the primary/secondary head. That is, since the card is dual head perhaps the game is trying to output to the other unused head? A long shot but I can't think of anything else off hand. Is you monitor an LCD or CRT?

This seems to be a different problem than many of the posters here refered, so I haven't tried the steps in the first post regarding cleaning the drivers and installing old ones. Should I???
    First find out which version of the drivers you are using currently using.

My computer is a Pentium IV 2.8 GHz with 1GB of Ram.

The graphics gard is a Nvidia Geforce FX5500 (oh noooooooooooo...)

Well, if you need more information about my system please ask, I know very little about computers but I'll sort it out.

Thank you all.
    That is an older NV34 based budget line card but should still run the game. The only other thing I can suggest is enabling the 2x AA and leaving it enabled. If it makes no difference still leave it enabled. Some more system info would be useful, and particularly which head you've connected the graphics card to. Also did you try the "skipcredits.txt" fix mentioned above in case it's just the intro video causing the problem?

Thanks Guys

It was Nero causing the problem. I have removed it and the game is working except for the FMVs. I think there is a fix for that issue also here some where.

Glad to hear it's working, though you needn't have uninstalled Nero if you'd have followed the instructions on unregistering the video decoder in post #32.

Hey!

I have this problem... I've installed Medieval: Total war once again. I've played it many times but I wanted to play it once again. But I have this problem. When I run the start icon the only thing I get is music on a black screen. When I press alt+tab I get to see a picture for less than a second.
    How can I fix this problem? How can I get a picture so I could play?

p.s. I've installed patch 1.1, I've done the thingy with this NERO problem, but the screen is still pitch black.

Welcome Smytt

Quote Originally Posted by Smytt
    I have this problem... I've installed Medieval: Total war once again.

p.s. I've installed patch 1.1,
    Do you have just Medieval Total War or MTW and Viking Invasion?
    When I run the start icon the only thing I get is music on a black screen. When I press alt+tab I get to see a picture for less than a second.
    How can I fix this problem? How can I get a picture so I could play?
    Did you add the "skipcredits.txt" text file to the Medieval Total War working directory?
    I've done the thingy with this NERO problem, but the screen is still pitch black.
    What have you done as regards Nero?

Post up your system specs.

Hi, i have the gold Total war, and when i go to play the cam(pain in the ass)
    it crashes me to desktop, i can play quick battles and all that well, but when to playing on the 2D map it just crashes to desktop, help please

See post #32 your solution is there near the bottom. Follow the instructions from the third paragraph from the bottom that starts with "Do you have Nero Burning Rom Installed?".

Haven't read this entire thread, but I've searched the fora and it came up with nothing...

I installed MTW and VI yesterday with the official 2.01 patch but when I try to start MTW it says "This application cannot start because it couldn't locate BugslayerUtil.dll. Reinstalling this application may help to solve this problem."

WinXP btw.
    Last edited by Mithrandir; 05-31-2007 at 15:54.
    Abandon all hope.

That is a small program that ships with MTW and should be in the working directory of "Medieval_TW.exe". I have tried running MTW without it and it works so I doubt that's your problem. It is bound to be another kind of crash causing/triggering it. I haven't seen it mentioned before either. Have you looked at all of the possible causes, solutions and workarounds in this thread?
    Last edited by caravel; 05-31-2007 at 22:24.

Wotcha All

Had Medieval total war for several years with no problems. Recently I've loaded Shogun Total war gold edition. Now I've hit a problem.

I can use historical campaigns, historical battles and custom battles ok, but I can't use the full campaign mode or access my (extensive) saved files on MTW or use it on STW (although, again, I can fight battles). The last time I updated my video card is last year sometime. When I click on a saved campaign, for example, The bar comes up, travels slowly half way as usual, and then instantly fills up and either sends me to the 'resume game' screen or dumps me out completely. Which is a bugger as I'm just about to take the Western powers roughly from behind.

I've reinstalled it to no avail and tried to start new campaigns but to no avail. Please help.

Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1.70GHz
    Memory: 382MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    Card name: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) 82845G Graphics Controller

Quote Originally Posted by Leveller Mutineer
    Wotcha All

Had Medieval total war for several years with no problems. Recently I've loaded Shogun Total war gold edition. Now I've hit a problem.

I can use historical campaigns, historical battles and custom battles ok, but I can't use the full campaign mode or access my (extensive) saved files on MTW or use it on STW (although, again, I can fight battles). The last time I updated my video card is last year sometime. When I click on a saved campaign, for example, The bar comes up, travels slowly half way as usual, and then instantly fills up and either sends me to the 'resume game' screen or dumps me out completely. Which is a bugger as I'm just about to take the Western powers roughly from behind.

I've reinstalled it to no avail and tried to start new campaigns but to no avail. Please help.

Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1.70GHz
    Memory: 382MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    Card name: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) 82845G Graphics Controller
    When you say "updated your video card" are you referring to the actual drivers or the physical card itself? It seems to me that you're not using a video card but an integrated Intel graphics chip. A lot of people have had problems with these in the past when trying to run STW/MTW. Is this system a laptop or desktop?

Wotcha Caravel

Yeah, I meant updated the driver. It's been running alright for several years, even on the update. It just seems to not work anymore. Don't know why. STW is a recent purchase and it's never worked on the campaign. in fact I've just uninstalled it and MTW campaign still doesn't work.

It's a desktop computer.

Thanks for your time.

If I'm reading your previous post correctly, then it seems that it stopped working after you installed STW, but was working before that when you were playing MTW?

You also said that you updated the graphics card drivers, and in the case of STW/MTW updating drivers is not always a good thing. Older drivers that were out at around the time of the games release and shortly after are often the most suitable. Are you sure that the campaign map didn't stop working after you updated the drivers? Is this possible, and can you try a driver rollback?

When installing STW did you install DirectX? (I'm sure you didn't but it's worth checking) I've noticed that the DirectX installation in all of the 1st gen. TW games doesn't seem to detect that you have a newer version installed, and I think it might install the older version over the newer version if you let it. Go to start, run and enter "dxdiag" to check your DirectX version.

With regard to the graphics card I really think you should consider buying one, even if it's a cheap used graphics card on ebay that is nicely in line with your system in terms of age and spec. The first thing you need to find out, if you decide to go down that route, is if your system actually has an AGP slot to accept a graphics card.
    Last edited by caravel; 06-11-2007 at 21:16.

Hello, I'm surprised you guys aren't sick of this by now, but here goes. I am trying to play MTW vanilla 1.1, but when I try single player it crashes to desktop and when I try campaign tutorial it just returns me to the main menu with the bottom 1/4 of the screen missing.

I am running it on a Dell Laptop with
    intel celeron 1.4Ghz
    528(ish) meg of ram

and an integrated chipset which seems to be something like this:
    DirectX* Version: 9.0
    Physical Memory: 503 MB
    Minimum Graphics Memory: 8 MB
    Maximum Graphics Memory: 128 MB
    Graphics Memory in Use: 9 MB
    Processor: x86 family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8
    Processor Speed: 1396 MHZ
    Vendor ID: 8086
    Device ID: 2592
    Device Revision: 03

I think it's called
    Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express chipset family

Can anyone help me out?

Quote Originally Posted by BIGFATWOB
    Hello, I'm surprised you guys aren't sick of this by now, but here goes.
    Welcome to the .org BIGFATWOB, we're not sick of it just trying to find a solution for everyone on all types of platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGFATWOB
    I am trying to play MTW vanilla 1.1, but when I try single player it crashes to desktop and when I try campaign tutorial it just returns me to the main menu with the bottom 1/4 of the screen missing.

I am running it on a Dell Laptop with
    intel celeron 1.4Ghz
    528(ish) meg of ram

and an integrated chipset which seems to be something like this:
    DirectX* Version: 9.0
    Physical Memory: 503 MB
    Minimum Graphics Memory: 8 MB
    Maximum Graphics Memory: 128 MB
    Graphics Memory in Use: 9 MB
    Processor: x86 family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8
    Processor Speed: 1396 MHZ
    Vendor ID: 8086
    Device ID: 2592
    Device Revision: 03

I think it's called
    Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express chipset family

Can anyone help me out?
    I'm afraid it's the integrated Intel graphics problem again. I wish there was something I could suggest but we've had little feedback either way on these chipsets. It would be great if someone would help us out more with this.

Wotcha Caravel

Rolled back to a previous driver and it now works on both games. Forgot I was attempting to get another game to work and updated the graphics driver (which wasn't the problem anyway).

Thanks for your time.

LM

Thanks for the feeback Leveller Mutineer, it seems that the older drivers may do the trick for Intel chipsets also. Anyone with Intel integrated graphics may want to try this.

Post Re: Medieval Total War CTDs and Solutions

Hullo,
    I'm sorry to irritate you guys with an annoying request, yet please may I request information on the newest available ATi drivers that are suitable for use in Vista with an ATi Radeon Xpress 200M 319MB (integrated graphics chip) and with M:TW. I recently bought a laptop to play M:TW and similar older games on and it, unfortunately, came with the wrong specs. Kindly though, the retailer offered me a partial refund for keeping it in my possession, so I'm not willing to give it away. I've found a very useful list of drivers somewhere, although, most unfortunately, they are not named or described for their suitability and age. Thanks very much for any help provided, cheers!
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 07-22-2007 at 08:30.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

I too am having this CTD, I can't even start a Campaign the game CTD. I can play hours of quick battles, historical battles, custom battles, but as soon as I start a campaign it crashes. I've tried the 2X AA fix, tried old video drivers, as far back as my card would go back too.

Anyway here is the error file generated.

Errors for session started: Fri Jul 20 20:34:08 2007

C:\Med_Patch\Crusaders_TW\bmradar.cpp(287) : File Error : fopen(".\RadarMap\HillyCoastal07.map", "wb") - "No such file or directory"(2)
    Errors for session started: Fri Jul 20 21:13:33 2007

C:\Med_Patch\Crusaders_TW\frontend_globals.cpp(1074) : Error : "No such file or directory"(2)
    C:\Med_Patch\Crusaders_TW\bmradar.cpp(287) : File Error : fopen(".\RadarMap\flatinland17.map", "wb") - "No such file or directory"(2)
    C:\Med_Patch\Crusaders_TW\bmradar.cpp(287) : File Error : fopen(".\RadarMap\flatinland17.map", "wb") - "No such file or directory"(2)
    C:\Med_Patch\Crusaders_TW\bmradar.cpp(287) : File Error : fopen(".\RadarMap\FlatToHillsInland06.map", "wb") - "No such file or directory"(2)
    Errors for session started: Fri Jul 20 21:43:11 2007

C:\Med_Patch\Crusaders_TW\bmradar.cpp(287) : File Error : fopen(".\RadarMap\HillyCoastal10.map", "wb") - "No such file or directory"(2)

Win XP Home SP2
    ATI Radeon X1300 Pro (CAT 7.6, just drivers no CCC, I use ATI tool tray)
    1.2 Gig RAM
    Audigy 2
    DirectX 9.0c

I too am having this CTD, I can't even start a Campaign the game CTD. I can play hours of quick battles, historical battles, custom battles, but as soon as I start a campaign it crashes. I've tried the 2X AA fix, tried old video drivers, as far back as my card would go back too.

Anyway here is the error file generated.

Errors for session started: Fri Jul 20 20:34:08 2007

C:\Med_Patch\Crusaders_TW\bmradar.cpp(287) : File Error : fopen(".\RadarMap\HillyCoastal07.map", "wb") - "No such file or directory"(2)
    Errors for session started: Fri Jul 20 21:13:33 2007

C:\Med_Patch\Crusaders_TW\frontend_globals.cpp(1074) : Error : "No such file or directory"(2)
    C:\Med_Patch\Crusaders_TW\bmradar.cpp(287) : File Error : fopen(".\RadarMap\FlatToHillsInland06.map", "wb") - "No such file or directory"(2)
    Errors for session started: Fri Jul 20 21:43:11 2007

C:\Med_Patch\Crusaders_TW\bmradar.cpp(287) : File Error : fopen(".\RadarMap\HillyCoastal10.map", "wb") - "No such file or directory"(2)

Win XP Home SP2
    AMD 64 3200 (2.2 Ghz)
    ATI Radeon X1300 Pro (CAT 7.6, just drivers no CCC, I use ATI tool tray)
    1.2 Gig RAM
    Audigy 2
    DirectX 9.0c

If you only run Medieval Total War and no newer games, then downgrading the driver may be the answer.

2x AA won't help you, that fix is only for Nvidia based graphics cards.

Get driver cleaner pro here http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745, uninstall your ATI drivers, run driver cleaner and remove everything ATI related. Download and install the Radeon Omega Drivers 2.6.53 (Catalyst 5.7) drivers from here http://www.omegadrivers.net/archive.php

If that doesn't work you're probably out of luck.

Hello everyone.

I was recently cleaning my basement when I stumbled across MTW. I hadn't remember ever playing it before. Much to my dismay, I learned about the CTD problem the hard way. It crashes every time I try to start a campaign or the campaign tutorial. I've done some research, and the problem seems to be my graphics chip. I havent gotten around to purchasing a card.

So I'm stuck with the Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV for now. I've heard that MTW actually runs with this if used with the proper driver. I have one of the newer drivers for this chip actually. I tried an earlier driver version, but it wasnt even compatible with Windows (go figure). I can't really "Roll Back" my drivers because I already downloaded the nonfunctional one and re-downloaded this one twice.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could confirm that MTW will actually run with this chip, and if so, I was wondering if anyone happened to have the driver version (and a download link if possible).

The campaign mode of this game seems incredibly fun and deep, and I wanted to get started on it. Any help would be appreciated. Until then, I'll keep looking for old drivers.

If no one can recommend the version that works best then maybe you can try to find it yourself? This is the driver archive for the Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV.

1) You should download the previous driver first, and start with that one and work backwards.

2) Go to add/remove programs and remove all of the Intel Extreme graphics drivers and control panels

3) Download driver cleaner Pro install and run it. Remove the "Intel Extreme" this will remove all of your current drivers. Reboot and when the new hardware found appears, leave it.

4) Install the driver you downloaded and reboot again. Test MTW campaign game and see if it works.

If it doesn't work move on to the next (older) driver and repeat steps 2 to 4.

I just recently decided to play MTW:VI again but I ran into a problem. The intro plays & I pick an era & a faction to play. The loading screen comes up (where it says "Medieval Total War" on the background and a red bar that fills up as the game loads up). As soon as the red bar fills up, I get a CTD!!! The last I played MTW:VI was around the end of 2005. I had to get Xp re-installed because of some other problem & just never reloaded it. The only thing that I had done since then to my comp was doubled my RAM and upgraded my graphics card. I had seen in prior posts about a problem with newer NVIDIA cards & drivers, but it seemed those posters were at least able to play a little before the CTD. Could this be the same problem? I never had a problem playing MTW before & don't have any problems with any other games I'm playing.

My specs:

Dell Dimension 4500
    Windows XP
    2.26 GHz Processor, 1Gb RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 6200 with 256 Mb RAM

Any help would be appreciated!

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ace of Spades
    I had seen in prior posts about a problem with newer NVIDIA cards & drivers, but it seemed those posters were at least able to play a little before the CTD. Could this be the same problem? I never had a problem playing MTW before & don't have any problems with any other games I'm playing.

My specs:

Dell Dimension 4500
    Windows XP
    2.26 GHz Processor, 1Gb RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 6200 with 256 Mb RAM

Any help would be appreciated!
    Well, I suppose trying the AA fix wouldn't hurt. Your problem does sound like those experienced by many, including myself, at some point - so I'd simply try and see if it works out.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast