Thread: Modding Smaller Armies

Default Modding Smaller Armies

I've never done any modding before, but then I'm hoping that what I want to achieve is a relatively simple task - it sounds like it, or at least it does at first glance...

I like the kind of battles that occur at the start of a campaign - a small number of units on each side. Later in the game, it's as though every battle is fought between thousands of men in dozens of units on each side. Whilst I think that having a pitched battle from time to time is nice, I do not think every battle should be such a slogfest.

So what I am after is some way to keep the size of the typical army low, but not impose any kind of limit on maximum army size. Whilst I'd like to see most battles fought between, say, no more than eight units on each side, having the occasional battle with more units (16 on field and as many reserves as you like) should still be possible.

My first thought was to change the florin costs of units; if units are more expensive to buy - or, perhaps better, cost more in upkeep - then perhaps there will be less of them floating around?

But some potential problems:
    • Would this even work?
    • Do the AI disband units when they are having financial trouble? (I presume so, otherwise where else do all those mercenaries come from?!)
    • Or would this backfrire, leading to games in which armies are the same size but factions cannot afford to upgrade their buildings and thus player and AI alike will never really get to produce the stronger units?
    • What impact would this have on the size of crusade armies (and if these needed to be controlled in order to stop them becoming too powerful, how could that be achieved?)
    • If the AI did disband units, would this put them at something of an unfair advantage (as I send my unwanted units against them rather than simply disbanding them)?
    • Would there be a way to keep revolting armies and re-emerging factions on the same kind of scale (but ideally to give them greater troop variety, if possible)?
    • Can castles have their capacities changed to suit the new, smaller armies? (Though I think I'd prefer to see them stay the same and last out longer...)

If this isn't the anser, what is? Some more ideas:
    • Increase unit construction time - great for slowing down the construction of armies, but has no effect on loyalist units, re-emerging factions and the like, which I fear may be the main cause of the problem anyway.
    • Reduce the number of units generated by revolts, re-emerging factions and the like - but how can this be achieved? Is there any direct way of altering the stack size (and composition) of rebel armies? Or can general happiness be increased to make it less likely? Bear in mind that even one full stack of units is going to have a major impact on the campaign, given how small the game's armies will usually be...

I realise there are also likely to be a number of knock-on effects from any such change. For example, artillery becomes less use against larger armies (less likely to hit anything). Would the AI take account of this when deciding what to produce? Could I increase the accuracy of artillery (either directly or through giving units bonus valour when first produced) to compensate for this?

Any thoughts?

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Modding Smaller Armies

I don't think increasing unit cost will work: it will just bankrupt the A.I. and you will end up with hordes of peasants. The A.I. does not disband units, unfortunatly. Increasing unit build time is probably a better idea.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Default Re: Modding Smaller Armies

Thanks for that, it confirms one fear (though where on Earth do all those Mercs come from then?!)

Unfortunately increasing unit build time does not help prevent the issue of stupidly large armies from rebellions. On the bright side, it may not need modding at all as I might just be able to increase the unit size setting (which results in longer build times if I recall right)!

I recommend you go for the biggest unit size (80/120/200). I had always played MTW on this from the start, but have now spent a year playing with the next size down (66/100/166). I really prefer the largest size, for numerous reasons, and am planning to revert to that in my next campaign (once I've finished modding). Most units will take 2 years to complete on this setting, and some will take 4. I think the Royal Knights and Ghulam Bodyguards still only take 1 year due to their small size.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Modding Smaller Armies

Quote Originally Posted by Zild
    Thanks for that, it confirms one fear (though where on Earth do all those Mercs come from then?!)
    I think the game also generates mercenaries in provinces that can normally produce them. They will then start moving about, preferentially in the direction of an ongoing war. Disbanded units only form a minority. Interesting, disbanded crusades also produce mercs: I once trashed a German crusade as the Egyptians, and found a group of Teutonic knights in the inn the next turn.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens
    I think the game also generates mercenaries in provinces that can normally produce them. They will then start moving about, preferentially in the direction of an ongoing war. Disbanded units only form a minority.
    That's been my experience as well. They like to hang around border provinces where there's fighting between factions (and away from provinces that are well-developed). I'll see disbanded units show up as mercs from time to time, but they're fairly uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens
    Interesting, disbanded crusades also produce mercs: I once trashed a German crusade as the Egyptians, and found a group of Teutonic knights in the inn the next turn.
    No kidding? I don't think I've ever seen that before. Of course, I also have a tendency to ride my Crusade units to the ground once they've lost a signficant number of men (and I can't replace their losses), so that might have something to do with why that is.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone