Thread: New Pics on the community site

There are some new images on the community site that give us the first look at the Mongol unit standards (The little pictures at the bottom of the screen that gives you the unit status). The standard for the Thunder Bombers and Mongol Heavy Cav are cool. There is also a screen that shows the standard for the Nag Cav.

The strategic screens also show some cool victory dialog pop ups. They show a Mongolian victory screen where you see a Mongol sitting in front of 4 heads on pikes and the total of heads taken and lost. The also show a pop up where they say the province was taken from lord Hojo and 190 koku was pillaged. Makes you wonder whether the Mongols will get koku ever turn from the conqyered provinces. Maybe they get an initial reward as well as the steady income from the province. Oops, sorry I was speculating there.

------------------
    All your base are belong to us

Senior Member Senior Member Erado San's Avatar

Hehehe, I just love they way that 'speculation' issue pops up lately. Luvvit!!!!

But yeah, the screens are pretty nice. Also the screens on the map editor are verrrrrryyyy nice appetizers. Seems like there's a damn lot of textures and models you can put all over the place. Yummy!
    A voice from the past is heard in the lands...

Actually note that the amount of koku 'pillaged' is twice that province's annual harvest...is this the way the Mongols will get koku in the expansion ?

------------------
    To be happy it is necessary not to be too intelligent
    - Flaubert-

Not born, not destroyed,
    Not stained, not pure,
    Without loss, without gain.

Senior Member Senior Member Zen Blade's Avatar

I was greatly saddened by the "editor" pictures.

Sure, it appears that the battle editor will be very nice.

But no pictures of scenario or campaign editors... : (
    These are (in my opinion) much more important than an official battlemap scenario.

-Zen Blade

------------------
    Zen Blade Asai
    Red Devil
    Last of the RSG
    Zen Blade Asai
    Red Devil
    Last of the RSG
    Clan Tenki Council-Unity, Retired
    SHS Core Member, Retired
    Derelict from an older age.

I like the pictures, but then again, I seem to like just about everything that has something to do with WE/MI.

The sequence of battle map shots gives a pretty good picture of what happens when the Mongols invade. There will be a "beach assault" scenario, wherein the Mongols are auto-deployed on the beach and the Japanese can deploy defensively further back. There won't be a landing to contest per se, but when (not if ) the Mongols rout, they have nowhere to run and nowhere to hide.

------------------
    "I listened for response and heard only praise."
    - Friedrich Nietzsche: Beyond Good and Evil
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

In the strategy map pics there is a strange structure on the coast of Hizen province.I can't tell if it is a new building,represent-
    ing a port,or a mongol ship etc...I wonder what it is,any ideas?
    Tito
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Senior Member Senior Member Shiro's Avatar

Quote Originally posted by Zen_Blade:
    But no pictures of scenario or campaign editors... : (
    These are (in my opinion) much more important than an official battlemap scenario.
    [/QUOTE]

Yeah tell me about it. These could make the game so much more interesting!
    "Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
    -Solypsist
    "Catiline is the one with the black rag and Shiro is erm...the other one..."
    -Tosa

PILLAGING!!!???

So far this may be the most significant thing to come out regarding the Campaign Game.

Laying aside the Mongols for a moment, let's think on this.

Your enemy getting ahead of you in the race to advance technically? Out harvesting you?

Solution, let's take that stack/army we've been holding in reserve and do an end around ala Schwartzkoff/Iraq and go on a little Rampage!

We'll probably never see that army again, but we can destroy the enemy's dojos AND maybe gain enough koku while pillaging to make up for the lost army.

I usually do this to draw off troops from an area I want to attack, but the above is another dimesion.

I love it!
    Damn, its about time we get MP Campaign!!!

Hate to burst your bubble, Toranaga_Sama, but it's more than likely that the pillaging will be an exclusively Mongol feature. That's the point of the Mongol campaign: instead of building, you destroy and devastate. During all their civil wars, the Japanese rarely if ever practiced atrocities or looting against non-military targets: their war was against another faction of samurai, not against the people of Japan. So, I think the Hôjô Regency (let alone the basic campaign clans) will not be allowed to pillage.

Tito-san: the thing on the coast of Hizen in strategy map pic 2 looks like a log cabin afloat: it's hard to say what it is. However, a similar (probably the same) building is shown on the coast of Harima in pic 1 and pic 3 from another angle: it's clearly not a ship. It looks a bit like a trading post, but what would one be doing in the Mongol campaign? IMO it's most likely to be a port.

------------------
    "I listened for response and heard only praise."
    - Friedrich Nietzsche: Beyond Good and Evil

[This message has been edited by Anssi Hakkinen (edited 03-10-2001).]
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

Itsounds a bit like landings could be some sort of bloody mixture of Castle and bridge assaults. Mongol defeat must result in absoulte slaughter, unless htey invade early on whith more troops than Hojo can muster? What happen's if you defeat their first invasion, do they just keep on coming? if so htey sound a bit hordey. I'll be interested tosee how it works

------------------
    It's not a bug, it's a feature
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

oh it's "hordey" alright. btw, you guys are way off on some things.

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

I've just realised how dim it is to moan about the mongols being a horde. Doh . I shall crawl back under my stone.

------------------
    It's not a bug, it's a feature
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

People should practice defeating the Hojo Horde to prepare for the Mongol Horde.

It will be interesting to see how the flow of Mongol troops works. They must start out with alot of troops. The Hojo will own all of Japan and have alot of koku available every season. If you are playing as Hojo early on you probably want to pump out troops to throw at the Mongols while upgrading all your facilities in the East. Probably want to get YC as fast as possible to run down that Mongol Cav. You probably don't want to upgade any castles west of Wakasa because they are likely to be overrun. Plus ports will be important to get troops to the front ASAP.

But I could easily see the Mongols get koku starved if you stop their initial push. They only get koku if they pillage a province. While Hojo is happily raking in the koku and upgrading everything.

------------------