Thread: How to use Naginata (??)

I like Naginata, but I want to know how to best use them.

They appear to be dead good defensive troops, but does that mean i just let the enemy charge into me or what? (please forgive me if I sound TOTALLY stupid)

Also, a few ideas on how to use them in an offensive capacity would be nice.

Any info would be most appreciated.

------------------
    Above all things, to thine own-self be true.
    "Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?"

-Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Senior Member Senior Member Dark Phoenix's Avatar

Over at Lanzas site there is a guide for using them along with every other unit there is a link on the front page of this site.

A way to use Nags is to have them on hold formation and then go front on to a unit and on teh flank you hit them with either a Warroir Monk unit or a No Dachi unit. Another way to use them is on a bridge map and have them at the mouth of the bridge and hold the opposing units up and fire arrows or guns at them.

------------------
    DoragonPhoenix of the Clan Doragon
    DP is correct - Shiro

Nice one m8, ok next question: where is Lanza's site?

------------------

Stazbumpa:

I think this is "lanza's site": http://www.geocities.com/totalwarshogun/

Anyone?:

As I understand it Nag: Attack 0 Armor 5 Defense 6 , and slower than YS make them super YS without the bonus against CAV.

No bonus against cav applys to WM too, since
    no Yari?

Nice to hear confirmation.

candidgamera
    the

------------------
    "If I determine the enemy's disposition of forces while I have no perceptible form, I can concentrate my forces while the enemy is fragmented.
    The pinnacle of military deployment approaches the formless: if it is formless, then even the deepest spy cannot discern it, nor the wise make
    plans against it." Sun Tzu
    “You know the sound of thunder Mrs. Garret."
    "Ofcourse"
    "Can you imagine that sound if I asked you to?"
    "Yes I can Mr. Hickok."
    "Your husband and me had this talk, and I told him to head home to avoid a dark result. But I didn't say it in thunder. Ma'am, listen to the thunder.”

Originally posted by candidgamera-san:
    Quote As I understand it Nag: Attack 0 Armor 5 Defense 6 , and slower than YS make them super YS without the bonus against CAV.[/QUOTE]Exactly. Naginata are the ultimate defence unit, but they have all the grace and maneuverability of brickstones (and note that I did not say "flying brickstones", just "brickstones"). Their only offensive use is to soak up arrows (heavy armor, you see).

(Caveat: I am a notorious Naginata-hater, preferring highly mobile and maneuverable armies to steamroller hordes. Supporters of the opposite school of tactical thinking are free to post rebuttals.)

Quote No bonus against cav applys to WM too, since no Yari?[/QUOTE]Exactly also, although equal-honor WMs can defeat any cavalry unit anyway "'cos they're so tuff".

------------------
    "The warrior who does not know his business is like a cat that does not know the way of ratting."
    - Tsukuhara Bokuden

[This message has been edited by Anssi Hakkinen (edited 03-02-2001).]
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Thanks for help

------------------

don't use them
    Clan Shades
    come by and give us a visit
    ShadeLord Shiba a member of clan shades

Member Member Katasaki Hirojima's Avatar

I found some uses for Naginata offensively.They are great place holders and acctually good fighters.(if I can get that Yari Sam unit to kill off a Nodachi,these guys can do it and then some.)Only problem with'em is they slow.

When I use'em,its a have half Archers and Half Naginata.You set the archers up so the attacker (or defender)HAS to come to you.Then that negates the one downside of the Naginata,the slowness.Pummel the enemy engaged with your Naginata with more arrows,since they hurt them alot more then they hurt you.Even bring a few archers forward and do some Flanking.

------------------
    "I maintain none the less that Yin-Tang Dualism can bo overcome.With sufficent enlightment,we can give substance to any distinction:Mind without body,north without south,pleasure without pain.Renember,enlightment is a function of will power,not of physical strength."-Shang-ji Yang,essays on mind and matter.
    I maintain none the less that Yin-Yang Dualism can be overcome. With sufficent enlightment, we can give substance to any distinction: Mind without body, north without south, pleasure without pain. Renember, enlightment is a function of will power, not of physical strength.- Shang-ji Yang

yeah its hard to get them in a good position because they are so slow

------------------
    Hirosito Mori

A warrior's wisdom is shown in the treating of his defeated opponent
    Hirosito Mori

Hirosito the Baptist of the Babbiest Babe Thread.

Gentile or Jew
    O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
    Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

They are best against those damn monk rush.

------------------
    A great warrior never reveal his true skills....
    A great warrior rarely reveal his true skills....

I like one or two in an attacking army as just one unit can hold (almost) an entire flank by themselves (or for long enough for your plans to come into play).

Also on a flank your cav can fall back behind the Nagies if your enemy sends in a superiour force. Sometimes I also use them in the front centre and then send the rest of my army on both flanks.

I like a fast fluid army but i find that Nagies are a good addition to that as they provide a good balance to a mostly light army.

------------------
    Do not attempt to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sort.
    Do not attempt to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sort.

i find nags really good at attacking worrior monks a level 3 squard of nags would beat a level 2 monks no probs i think, well this is what EuroLord told me :P

Barbarian of the north Member Magraev's Avatar

heh shire "nags against worriormonks"

Must be a fun battle as the old horses try to run down the worried monks, kinda like philosophers football (Monty P. anyone?).
    Nope - no sig what so ever.

Magraev:
    Chief referee Confucious, and his linesman St. Thomas Aquinas say: "Name go in book".

candidgamera

------------------
    "If I determine the enemy's disposition of forces while I have no perceptible form, I can concentrate my forces while the enemy is fragmented.
    The pinnacle of military deployment approaches the formless: if it is formless, then even the deepest spy cannot discern it, nor the wise make
    "Ofcourse"
    "Yes I can Mr. Hickok."
    "Your husband and me had this talk, and I told him to head home to avoid a dark result. But I didn't say it in thunder. Ma'am, listen to the thunder.”

Barbarian of the north Member Magraev's Avatar

heh - "and Marx claimed it was offside".

Actually I think 100 m dash for ppl with no sense of direction is even funnier.
    Nope - no sig what so ever.

I liked the steeple chase for people who think they are chickens.

------------------

Stazbumpa:
    Same as "upper-class twit" sketch or different?

Magraev:
    " . . . the furniture race . . ."

Am partial to "Bicycle Repairman" all those guys in Superman suits and one of you British fellows in an "American Accent", making fun of us in tone the way we sure have coming.

Ancestors were colonists,
    candidgamera

------------------
    "Ofcourse"
    "Yes I can Mr. Hickok."