Thread: Allowing unit to attack faster/slower in melee

Curse of Atlantis developer Member Neon twilight's Avatar

Default Allowing unit to attack faster/slower in melee

Yes it's possible without annimations :

The number to change is here :
    stat_pri 13,4, javelin, 45, 2, thrown, blade, piercing, spear, 25, 1
    Infact this number means how many miliseconds the unit will wait between attacks before playing the annimation. Obviously you can't see real difference in combat but a unit with 0 is five time more effective than a unit with 25 this means this can create a strange unbalancing, I discovered this by accident when 120 archers with short swords destroyed and routed a unit of 200 spearmen.

But let's see the good aspect of this :
    The more this value is high for everyunits (my mod uses 25) the more are the melee combat slow, without any changes on morale or and defense/attack.
    It's a good tool to simulate the fact that units with heavy weapons attack slower adding +5 the 25 would make them attack (or playing thier annimation) slower than others you can use it too for men with two weapons by allowing them to attack twice as fast or slower wich makes them deadly effective without raising thier attack value.

I hope this could be usefull for actual RTW modders and that this value is still here in MTWII.

I've not extensibly tested it but it's makes a real difference, and could be quite usefull for realism mod for exemple but remember this have to be applied in the unit cost to keep things balanced.
    "If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles."- Sun Tzu
    "You can do everything with bayonets, but you are not able to sit on them" - Otto Von Bismarck
    "People love chopping wood. In this activity one immediately sees result" -Albert Einstein

Curse of Atlantis a fantasy mod for RTW 1.5
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=68781

Default Re: Allowing unit to attack faster/slower in melee

Hi, I did this, making all the units faster, and increasing their attack in barbarian invasion, but now the barbarian invasion game will not start, can you help?
    As a test I moded one of the units in the origional rome total war, and that game still started.

Default Re: Allowing unit to attack faster/slower in melee

try undoing your work start small look how and what and try again i think you deleted something to much