Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medieval 2 released early in UK

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

Default Medieval 2 released early in UK

Yep its true. 1 of the big supermarket chains like Tesco or Asda broke the streetdate for this game so now GAME has started selling early. Call your local game store to see if you can get yourself a copy now :P
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Default Re: Medieval 2 released early in UK

Where did you hear this?

I phoned one GAME (Bootle) shop and the guy said he had not heard anything about it being released early and it was being released on Friday.

I will phone a different GAME shop just to be sure...
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 11-08-2006 at 15:06.

I phoned the one of the GAME shops in Liverpool (there are two) and the guy said it was being released on Friday.

I checked the Tesco, Asda, HMV and Virgin Megestores websites and they all say Friday.

Thumbs down Re: Medieval 2 released early in UK

phoned game in (bognor regis w.sussex and tescos all said fri 10nov 06) .some one someware is larfing at us.

Ordered mine from game online (£26.99) and it has been released as I have it already...

Phoned 3 Game stores in Coventry, one in Leamington Spa and one in Nuneaton and they all said "yes", they have it in stock but "no" they can't sell it until Friday
    Isn't it funny how people trash God and then wonder why the world's going to hell?

game in manchester are not selling till friday

Quote Originally Posted by Wishazu
    Yep its true. 1 of the big supermarket chains like Tesco or Asda broke the streetdate for this game so now GAME has started selling early. Call your local game store to see if you can get yourself a copy now :P
    I have to say, that all the evidence would appear to point to the contrary... can you provide any further info?
    Isn't it funny how people trash God and then wonder why the world's going to hell?

I ended up wandering around Plymouth (UK) today in the optimistic hopes of finding of M:TW2 for sale in one of the many shops scattered around the city centre.

Rather sadly I performed this desperate wander with military precision, planning my route so not to back track but taking in every woolworth,game,gamestation,tesco and whsmith. (and at the end a pasty shop… I was hungry!)

After a long and boring amble where everywhere i had asked had said the same thing (friday the 10th) I came to the last Game store I headed up to the counter and asked the long haired shop assistant “do you have any copies of medieval total war 2?” he pondered the question, slowly picked up his little blue folder and started flicking through.

Then to the left of his flowing golden locks in the glass case behind him…I spied none other but the holy grail! and slightly to the left of that… copies of Medieval Total War 2!. He finished flicking through his little folder and looked at me rather strangely (possibly because I was drooling at this point and that’s never very attractive at the best of times) and said “this Friday”. I quickly considered my options.

1) Wait till Friday
    2) Kill him and everyone in the store in a murderous rampage take a copy of M:TW2 and get as many gaming hours in before the inevitable police shoot out and my death.

I suppose its only two days… although im still wondering if I made the right decision...

So the moral of this story is the likelihood of finding it out before Friday… slim to none at best, and don’t drool when you finally get the game, its not pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by maestro
    Phoned 3 Game stores in Coventry, one in Leamington Spa and one in Nuneaton and they all said "yes", they have it in stock but "no" they can't sell it until Friday
    Add to that 2 gamestation stores in Coventry and Asda. They all have it in stick but won't sell it

should have killed him

Prussian Musketeer Member Faenaris's Avatar

Debe2233, that was torturous situation you found yourself in. I don't know what I would have done, but killing the clerk and planning to hide in a bombshelter until it all blows over does sound interesting.

And indeed, drooling is never a good idea. At least, drooling in public isn't a good idea.
    Signature by Atterdag

"Hunde, wollt ihr ewig leben?" ("Dogs, do you want to live forever?") - Frederick II of Prussia at the battle of Kolin when adressing his fleeing Prussian soldiers.

Hellpuppy unleashed Member Subedei's Avatar

Debe2233: did you try to bribe him????
    “Some may never live, but the crazy never die” (Hunter S. Thompson)

Bribe him?... yeesh of course not!.

Everyone knows that Game employees are bastions of purity ethics and morality in this vile filthy world, would be like trying to bribe the pope.

It was a hard decision but i stand by what i did... except the drooling that was fairly unsightly.

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

I've never understood why GAME employees in that situation act that way. They're gamers themselves, surely? They must be able to empathise? If I was working there and someone came in two days before the game's release because they were so desperate for it, I'd have to sell them a copy. It wouldn't be in me to deny them.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big King Sanctaphrax
    I've never understood why GAME employees in that situation act that way. They're gamers themselves, surely? They must be able to empathise? If I was working there and someone came in two days before the game's release because they were so desperate for it, I'd have to sell them a copy. It wouldn't be in me to deny them.
    If the guy was a REAL gamer, he would be at home playing M2TW, after stealing a copy from his shop and reporting himself sick to his boss.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Game employees seem to be a micro-step up the evolutionary ladder from those at pcworld/dixons/comet/currys. Fate has dealt them a tiny once of luck and they aren't flipping burgers (don't get me wrong I did that too).
    Cheers,
    The Freedom Onanist

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Onanist
    Game employees seem to be a micro-step up the evolutionary ladder from those at pcworld/dixons/comet/currys. Fate has dealt them a tiny once of luck and they aren't flipping burgers (don't get me wrong I did that too).
    The PC World/Dixons/Comet/Currys guys are all so vile because they are working on commission, and will thus tell you anything to get you to make a purchase. If you go into one of those stores and listen in on some conversations, you'll hear customers who are clueless about computers/electronics (which is most people who buy at PC World et all) being fed the most outrageous lies.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

The PC World/Dixons/Comet/Currys guys are all so vile because they are working on commission, and will thus tell you anything to get you to make a purchase. If you go into one of those stores and listen in on some conversations, you'll hear customers who are clueless about computers/electronics (which is most people who buy at PC World et all) being fed the most outrageous lies.
    Like 512mb RAM apparently being "massive"

Yep, how often do you see friends or familly buying the utmost tat from these stores? That's why consoles do well, at least people (kind of) know what they are getting.
    Cheers,
    The Freedom Onanist

I got dragged along to PC world by one of my friends (being the resident computer nerd) where I think I managed to aggravate every single salesperson that came along by poking holes in all their little “this system is fantastic for its price and never become obsolete! ” arguments with a big stupid grin on my face. Most fun I’ve ever had… where im not fully clothed or without a blackcurrent cheese cake in my hand.

They actually said it would “never become obsolete”… pft, those people know nothing and will say anything to make a sale.

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

Thanks for your lovely comments about GAME employees folks, I actually happen to be one but nevermind. I heard from my Deputy Manager* that the game was released early due to tesco etc. selling it early, the week before we had to start selling every game due for release that friday becuase woolworths had gone early.

*Perhaps he was winding me up as im actually off work this week and he knows how much of a huge fan I am of the totalwar series...
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Lol Wish if I was you I'd go in and beg the boss for a copy :P

Anyway the GAME employees is Leicester (well the one that I usually go in, theres two) are all helpful and friendly.

I find GAME employees friendly and helpful - I'd never buy from there cause there games are retail price, but they're helpful, nonetheless. They're also sticklers for the rules cause of the FIVE stores I've phoned today, none would budge.

And Wishazu..... Why, oh why didn't you mention Woolworths in your original post? I could be playing it by now

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

Went to York today, my car broke down and is costing me a bomb (and is still in York), but thats another story, I had a wander around Woolies didn't have it, Curries didn't, GAME wouldn't even tell me the price for the collectors edition in a cheeky attempt to have them offer me it (Hey, it worked with Footy Manager!), Gamestation had it, SHOWED ME IT, scanned price then told me what it'd cost, DAMN YOU GAMESTATION.

Whats annoying is FM, Pro Evo and TW are all out within about a month, so its alot of depserate times for me
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

I find GAME employees friendly and helpful - I'd never buy from there cause there games are retail price, but they're helpful, nonetheless. They're also sticklers for the rules cause of the FIVE stores I've phoned today, none would budge.

And Wishazu..... Why, oh why didn't you mention Woolworths in your original post? I could be playing it by now
    Game won't sell me 16+ Pegi games. Corerect me if I am wrong but Pegi is simply guidelines? Gamestation sell me 16+ Pegi. Game must have lost a lot of money to Gamestation by being far too stupid to sell things they are allowed to sell.

The people who say they have 'got the game sent early' didn't really. They actually work in these stores and have took a copy early.

Advice: Go to your local game shop and bribe one of the younger more 'gamey' looking guys. Alternatively, get a job in a game store.

Game online often breaks the rules a bit and sends stuff off early. One of my mates managed to get Neverwinter Nights 2 early as a result with it being delivered last Wednesday instead of the release date of last Friday. I was tempted for a moment in the faint hope of getting Medieval early but I decided not to in the end.

Personally never had a problem with the employees at Game here in Basingstoke although I don't buy from there very often. PC World employees on the other hand.....they advised a friend of mine that his networking problems were down to memory. Told said friend never to go there again and sorted out his problems without him spending extra money (well he paid me with some alcohol but that's cheaper than 50 odd quid on memory).
    --------------------

"The Romans didn’t build an Empire by having meetings, they built it by killing all those who opposed them"

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marius Dynamite
    The people who say they have 'got the game sent early' didn't really. They actually work in these stores and have took a copy early.
    Thats not true, I got FM 2006 and 2007 a day earlier than I should have done in shops, I've got several from Play.com early via post
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

Actually, your wrong. I was offered a job (which i turned down, long story) at PC World the other day, when i enquired about pay they said its by the hour. Turns out they ditched commission about a year ago because it promotes "bad sales practice" and an "unhealthy" working enviroment. They're new company focus is maintaining high levels of customer satisfaction. The idea being that satisfied customers will buy more accessories (which all have a massive mark-up on them) to cover the tiny profit margin on PCs and Laptops.

Quote Originally Posted by darsalon
    PC World employees on the other hand.....they advised a friend of mine that his networking problems were down to memory. Told said friend never to go there again and sorted out his problems without him spending extra money (well he paid me with some alcohol but that's cheaper than 50 odd quid on memory).
    This is the reason i turned a job at PC World down. Either they're training is rubbish or their staff have a higher level of 'moral flexibility' than me. Either way, not the sort of thing i want to have on my CV.
    Last edited by satchef1; 11-08-2006 at 20:25.

<Insert Custom User Title> Member Dan.o6's Avatar

Your order for Medieval 2: Total War has been posted.
    Please note PLAY MAIL ORDER will show on your statement.
    Please allow 3-5 days delivery.

*Rejoice*

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz
    XFX Geforce 9800GTX 512mb
    XFX nForce 680i SLI Motherboard
    4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 RAM
    2x Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200RPM
    Windows Vista Ultimate SP1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast