Thread: Thats Right Im Protesting on an Internet Fourm.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Thats Right Im Protesting on an Internet Fourm.

I recently posted a link in the backroom which was political in nature and had some mature themes. I was led to beleive this was what the backroom was for. Yet I get a warning. I dont understand.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Default Re: Thats Right Im Protesting on an Internet Fourm.

Was for language of movie, right?

si senor.

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Have you read the foul language thread sticked at the top of the backroom forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Admin
    Attention

In the light of recent threads and the seemingly general increase in the use of rather "colorful" language in the Backroom, I would like to remind everybody that generally the use of swear-words and profanities is considered to be a violation of the forum rules.

This does definitely include the use of profanities to emphasize e.g., the slander of groups or ad hominem at patrons, but it also includes the "non-directed" use of profanities to express e.g., anger or surprise.
    In addition I would like to point out that the use of "*" to partly disguise profanities is not considered to be a valid alternative within the forum rules (same goes for quoting another patron's outburst).
    Linking to something that has swearing is not a viable alternative.
    Last edited by Papewaio; 11-08-2006 at 05:20.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If it is that home movie about he Iraq invasion, I recall there was very little swearing in it- and that other, unwarned posts have linked to stuff with swearing.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

In less I totally missed it the link itself didn't lead to swearing. The fact that you had to dig in the site to find the offending words means nothing. Why don't you just ban linking to YouTube for God's sake?

Edit: Sorry, did I just swear?

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

So Im guessing were done here? I thought the link was very within standards. The greatness is going to be missed by many. I now have a 2 day flood control. The best member of the org has a 2 day flood control. My fans will worry oh how they will worry.

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

I certainly understand and respect the rule against profanity at the .org, but I must admit I was surprised this link was removed. I hadn't noticed anything unusually bad in the link, so it seemed inconsistent with standard enforcement procedure, especially in the backroom.

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Overly strict moderating has become quite the norm in the Backroom lately, in case you haven't noticed. Got my first warning after 2.5 years last week.
    Therapy helps, but screaming obscenities is cheaper.

Post Re: Thats Right Im Protesting on an Internet Fourm.

Overly strict moderating

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxfetish
    especially in the backroom.
    The forumrules apply to all fora. The idea that certain patrons have that the backroom is a place to swear, flame and post other unsuited material is silly.

The split between front and backroom was made to seperate the more serious and lesser serious threads, not to create an 18+ forum.
    Abandon all hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EvL...elated&search=

Follow the link, and read the comments. This was in the Frontroom and is not uncharacteristic of comments on YouTube. Is the .org going to issue warnings for linking to this site now?

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Down with dried flowers!

It's not the .Org who issued a warning. It was me.

How much I enjoy your little witchhunt, I must say that you really should keep things EH/MH/Backroom related since those are the fora I moderate.

should you come across an objectional post, be sure to report it.

Thanks in advance for your coöperation.

Abandon all hope.

No I just enjoy your replies. No one might have explained this to you, but as a moderator, you represent the .org. If you didn't, you wouldn't be a moderator If you can't see how this relates to backroom moderating, I can't help you. I'm sure you are enjoying this little powertrip you're on but I think you're the only one.

A witch-hunt you say? That's an excellent idea. I imagine that you have a habit of viewing criticism as such.

Down with dried flowers!

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir
    No I just enjoy your replies. No one might have explained this to you, but as a moderator, you represent the .org.
    .Org forum rules.

indeed.

I'm sure you are enjoying this little powertrip you're on but I think you're the only one.
    Very much, thank you.

A witch-hunt you say? That's an excellent idea. I imagine that you have a habit of viewing criticism as such.
    only when you post similar things in 5 different topics even after a request from me to PM me or Tosa if you have an issue with me instead of using other threads to complain.
    Abandon all hope.

If you want to complain about you post getting deleted, getting warned or your thread getting closed, come to .com.
    I really don't see why people complain, I mean if mods think it's unsuited let them delete it, they're always right ... unless they're real noobs

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Internet Drama at it's best.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

No I just enjoy your replies. No one might have explained this to you, but as a moderator, you represent the .org. If you didn't, you wouldn't be a moderator If you can't see how this relates to backroom moderating, I can't help you. I'm sure you are enjoying this little powertrip you're on but I think you're the only one.

I think that Mithrandir is just trying to do his job correctly, but as usual one cannot do right for doing wrong on some occasions. If he'd ignored the incident (which I was not witness to by the way so I can't comment directly) someone would have complained about someone else getting away with it, and he'd have been getting flack from all directions, and if he removes the offending material he get's the flack anyway. I'm not at all sure why you think he's on a powertrip either. That's not his style at all.

Also you can't expect the mods to spot every incident and behave uniformly in a real time fashion. They are going to miss stuff out and make errors, as they're only human (well they were human once, before the coming of the dark lord and his camels of doom). It may be that someone reported the post which then drew more attention to it, who knows? Personally I think the backroom job is an unenviable task. One either lets the usual suspects 'get away with murder' or one can make one's self very unpopular. Lose, Lose. I just think some people need to take life less seriously here, and give Mithrandir a break.

Regards

Caravel

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

No one might have explained this to you, but as a moderator, you represent the .org. If you didn't, you wouldn't be a moderator
    Members are members because they agreed to the rules when signing up. If they didn't, they wouldn't be members.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

*nods*

true dat, you even have to agree to Terms and Conditions, so why break them?

Join the ICLADOLLABOJADALLA! Member IrishArmenian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Manco Capac
    I think that Mithrandir is just trying to do his job correctly, but as usual one cannot do right for doing wrong on some occasions. If he'd ignored the incident (which I was not witness to by the way so I can't comment directly) someone would have complained about someone else getting away with it, and he'd have been getting flack from all directions, and if he removes the offending material he get's the flack anyway. I'm not at all sure why you think he's on a powertrip either. That's not his style at all.

Also you can't expect the mods to spot every incident and behave uniformly in a real time fashion. They are going to miss stuff out and make errors, as they're only human (well they were human once, before the coming of the dark lord and his camels of doom). It may be that someone reported the post which then drew more attention to it, who knows? Personally I think the backroom job is an unenviable task. One either lets the usual suspects 'get away with murder' or one can make one's self very unpopular. Lose, Lose. I just think some people need to take life less seriously here, and give Mithrandir a break.

Regards

Caravel

Manco Caravel is spot on here. I cannot say it any better!

"Half of your brain is that of a ten year old and the other half is that of a ten year old that chainsmokes and drinks his liver dead!" --Hagop Beegan

Is the word Taff going to be considered a "colourful swear word"? I am asking before I use it, because I don't want another warning. Let me tell you though, it isn't. It is a word that means "thief". It came from the game Thief, and is not profanity.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

It's also a racially abusive word for a Welsh person.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Quote Originally Posted by Big King Sanctaphrax
    It's also a racially abusive word for a Welsh person.
    WOW! Is it?
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Yep. Taff or Taffy.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

That's kewl, I didn't know that. Do you know its origins?
    (I assume that means it's a no-no.)

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

I would say it was abusive exactly. Like calling an Irishman a Paddy or an English man a Pom, it is all about the context.
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"