Thread: Community Site Q and A

looks like we have finally got some answers from creative...
    http://www.totalwar.com/community/newquestions.htm

some we already knew - and some completely new info...nice to see that Kensai will be easily ridden over by Cavalry and the like but a BAD point from my point of view is that you CAN buy Kensai seems to degrade them in my eyes...

and nice that it is a simple - attack - get loot - get more men - attack - get loot - get more men................ way of doing things. (which is really the way you have to play in the campaign anyway) the really interesing thing is the stance of the Hojo...that is different to the way we play in STW at the moment, being permenantly on the defensive.

we all knew about the AI koku rejigging anyway but its good to know that the attacks will be spread out...

I would like to see a 'fun' setting for multiplayer games where you can play with ANY unit in the game from Teppu Ashigru to MHC just for the hell of it but it is on the other hand reassuring that they have kept it historical.

Interesting non-commital response on the ability of Mongul Cav Archers...i'd guess that they can fire while moving (kind of a heacy hint...but maybe not...)

"Mongols were among the best horse men in the world and this reflects in the skill of the mounted units. "

------------------
    do anything...pick me to pieces with Cavalry Archers, ride me down with Heavy Cavalry, break my lines with No-Dachi, slaughter me on your Spears, hit me in the flank with Warrior Monks, ruin my attack with Naginata, finish the job with Yari Cavalry, shower me with arrows from your archers...but nama amida butsu...NO GUNS
    Have you seen the fnords?

Senior Member Senior Member Shiro's Avatar

Nothing on multiplayer. I want info on it! I'm wondering if they're going to cut it. We've heard nothing about it at all. I'm also annoyed that Kensai can be bought. They should be a special event in the game only. Maybe there should be a limit of one Kensai per army?
    "Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
    -Solypsist
    "Catiline is the one with the black rag and Shiro is erm...the other one..."
    -Tosa

You could see the ai adjusting it's attack strength relative to the defender's in the campaign. It was either a conservative strategy or an attempt at play balancing. Then in the v1.12 patch they made a change to make the ai attack more strongly if it had just lost a battle in that province. Now it seems like they are saying the ai will attack more stongly right off the bat to bring about a decisive result sooner. Putting more of a limit on the koku available to the ai should help the campaign play. I'm glad this is in there.

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan Takiyama ~~~

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

We posted at the same time.
    -Solypsist
    -Tosa

Shiro, have you stopped drooling already? Watch Mulan. And are you trying to get Erado San to pop a blood vessel? They are obviously going to spread out the questions over a number of honor days. They just haven't answered the MP questions yet. This MP doom and gloom has already been batted around in at least one other thread.

You can choose to be happy about the expansion or you can choose to be miserable about it. It is a much more pleasant experience to be happy about it until such a time you find out otherwise. Your worrying accomplished nothing. Be at peace. Ommmmmmmmmm, ommmmmmm.

There, don't you feel better already?

------------------
    Gregoshi
    A Member of Clan Doragon
    This space intentionally left blank

If I only posted on how happy I was, I'd have some really boring posts. Complaining is interesting. Of course I'm happy about most of the ex-pac stuff. Why else would I be drooling? I just mentioned the stuff I'm not as happy about.
    -Solypsist
    -Tosa

Okay, Shiro, let me give this complaining a try...

I don't like the color scheme on the ex-pack box. What kind of color is Yellow!? Yellow means "caution" (no multi-player campaign included ).

Hmmmm, can't say I feel worried. I'm still drooling.

Quote Originally posted by Shiro:
    Nothing on multiplayer. I want info on it! I'm wondering if they're going to cut it. We've heard nothing about it at all.[/QUOTE]

This is me trying to atone for raising Eradosan's blood pressure last week.

Check out the "new preview" thread. It has a link to a Gamespot preview for Warlord Edition where Michael de Plater specifically mentions the online campaign. Doesn't give any details on how it works but does say it will exist. So no need to speculate otherwise.

------------------
    All your base are belong to us
    All your base are belong to us

Originally posted by Shiro-san:
    Quote If I only posted on how happy I was, I'd have some really boring posts. [/QUOTE]Living proof

As for the answers - well, as expected, we were correct about some things (such as the little flags on the strategy map) and way off on others. I was almost certain that you could buy any units in MP, but guess not...

The Horde fix seems sound, although they're still a bit vague about the exact mechanics. I wouldn't get my hopes up about the Mongol archers if I were you. But, I guess we'll get more by Friday...

------------------
    "The warrior's lies are called strategy -- the only honest people are the farmers and townsmen."
    - Akechi Mitsuhide

[This message has been edited by Anssi Hakkinen (edited 03-13-2001).]
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Quote Originally posted by Anssi Hakkinen-san:
    Living proof
    [/QUOTE]

LOL! Hope you wern't offended. Your posts are excellent and by no means boring, though you are the most positive person on the forums concerning the Ex-pack.

[This message has been edited by Shiro (edited 03-13-2001).]
    -Solypsist
    -Tosa

I'm also annoyed that Kensai can be bought. They should be a special event in the game only. Maybe there should be a limit of one Kensai per army?[/B][/QUOTE]

What is the big deal with the Kensai ? To limit them is like limiting the number of Cav units because there were not so many horses (or food on the battle field )in Japan to warrant mass cav. Nor that may warrior monks to fill out an army. If you control all of Japan, you should be able to find a few Musashi or the warrior monk that could be ranked as a modified Kensai. I would believe 16 Peach boy style super samurai then 16 hvy cav or warrior monks. And they all hate being pin cushioned. We have been informed that the Kensai will be expenive and hard to get. I think that if the Kensai can be dealt with so easily by cav and archers ( units that everyone should have anyways ), what is the problem ?

I'm quoted like 3 times on this thread! Anyway, I'm starting to change my opinion. The whole idea of a one man unit, however much it cost, being able to stand up to more than 10 men annoyed me. They more I hear though, I'm starting to realize it won't be so bad. The Kensai will not be a King Kong.
    -Solypsist
    -Tosa

Senior Member Senior Member Dark Phoenix's Avatar

Well if you face a Kensai I guess you send cavalry at him. I think that they ill have to be treated like Taishos and protected so that you dont waste your Koku on him.

------------------
    DoragonPhoenix of the Clan Doragon
    DP is correct - Shiro

Unless you support your Kensai with yari.

------------------
    Gregoshi
    A Member of Clan Doragon

Anssi,

The way that question about mixing units was phrased it was actually more than one question, and may have been missinterpreted. Maybe "multiply" was interpreted as "multiplay campaign" because the first part of the question askes about the "campaign". The online campaign is multiplay as opposed to the offline single play campaign. I'd be more certain of the meaning of the answer if the question had used the phrase "multiplay tactical battles". I interpret the answer as meaning Korean/Mongol units can't be mixed with Japanese units in the campaign.

Phoenix,

It definitely looks like the need for combined arms has been retained, and the kensai isn't a "boss" unit.

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan Takiyama ~~~

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

Kensai --> Rambo of Japan.

All you need is one to win the war. Given one, in fact, you really don't need any supporting units. Just send in your own personal "Rambo" to clean up the mess your Ashigaru failed to deal with...

But then again... Kensai are like ghosts... they exist, but most do not believe in them. So, what harm can they do?

Have you ever seen a Kensai?!? No???

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. [...] And *poof* -- like that, he was gone!"
    -- Kensai Kaiser Soze

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

I think you lost me on that one Vanya.

Hey, maybe that's why Rambo was so successfull. There weren't any cavalry or archers around to get him.

Vanya, the men in the white lab coats are on their way, they will help you, just go along with them nice and quiet.
    They will take you to a nice padded room where you can sort things out.

Have a nice day.

I thought an expansion might be nice, but after what I have read.....it looks like a big waist of money.

------------------
    "Failure is not an option"
    I will be Baron of the world.

Funny, after what I have read, I've got the exact opposite impression. Of course, we may be looking for different things...

------------------
    "The warrior's lies are called strategy -- the only honest people are the farmers and townsmen."
    - Akechi Mitsuhide
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

well i have the idea that when the add-on comes out you will be seeing me more often then now. so i am lookinf forward to the add-on

------------------
    Clan Shades
    Shades
    You are already dead you just don't know it yet!!
    Clan Shades
    come by and give us a visit
    ShadeLord Shiba a member of clan shades

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

I'm looking forward to this add-on pack.Even though all we had hoped for might not be addressed in the new version,most of it will be.A map and senario editor,new terrain features with some new and larger maps,better
    AI not cheating AI,new units,better diplomacy,multiplayer campaign etc...What's not to like!Please God let it be May!
    Tito
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*