Thread: Forget Ninjas vs. Pirates; What About Islamists vs. Pirates?

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Cool Forget Ninjas vs. Pirates; What About Islamists vs. Pirates?

I know, the Ninjas vs. Pirates debate has been around for years. But at least we've got a final answer to the burning question: Islamists vs. Pirates?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Somali Islamists free pirate ship

Militia loyal to Somalia's Islamic courts have stormed and recaptured a ship hijacked by pirates off the Somali coast, regional maritime officials say.

Six of the pirates were captured after a gun battle and all 14 crew members are reported to be unharmed.

The charcoal-carrying freight vessel, seized a week ago, was being held for a $1m (£524,000) ransom.

Somalia's coastline is notorious for piracy, but incidents have declined since the Islamists took power in June.

The Union of Islamic Courts (UIC) has promised to restore law and order in the territory it controls.

'High spirits'

A Kenyan official said the ship - the Veesham One, registered in the United Arab Emirates - was being taken to the Somali capital, Mogadishu.

"Reports indicate that two pirates are seriously injured following heavy gunfire between the Islamic militias and the pirates last night," Andrew Mwangura of the Seafarers' Assistance Programme said in the Kenyan port of Mombasa.

The crew - from India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Ethiopia and Eritrea - were safe and "in high spirits", he said.

Mr Mwangura told Associated Press news agency that the pirates will be tried under Islamic law and if found guilty could have their hands cut off.

Last week, 10 Somalis captured by the US navy were sentenced to seven years in jail for piracy and hijacking by a Kenyan court.

Somalia has been in the grip of warlords and militias for years and has not had a functioning national government since 1991.

The UIC has consolidated its control over much of southern Somalia after seizing the capital.

The courts were set up by businessmen who wanted to impose law and order, and their gunmen have become Somalia's strongest fighting force.

The decline in piracy has also been attributed to foreign navy patrols.
    Last edited by Lemur; 11-08-2006 at 15:35.

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Default Re: Forget Ninjas vs. Pirates; What About Islamists vs. Pirates?

What about Ninjas versus Islamists?

I've often thought it would be quite good to be a modern day pirate. Outdoors, you get to spend a lot of time near the sea, you're your own boss, good sense of comradeship and potentially very lucrative. Well, I tell a lie. Not, 'often'. More like 'just now, after reading this post about pirates'.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BKS
    What about Ninjas versus Islamists?
    They should make a movie based on this idea

Perhaps they could also include snakes...

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Clegane
    They should make a movie based on this idea

Perhaps they could also include snakes...
    no snakes are so last week lets use a grizley bear...

[/QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Article
    The Union of Islamic Courts (UIC) has promised to restore law and order in the territory it controls.
    Hats off to them as at least they are taking action to do what governments are set up to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    The courts were set up by businessmen who wanted to impose law and order, and their gunmen have become Somalia's strongest fighting force.
    I hope Bill Gates doesn't hear about this! Windows Vista is bad enough.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    -- John Stewart Mills

But from the absolute will of an entire people there is no appeal, no redemption, no refuge but treason.
    LORD ACTON

Pirates pwn Ninjas and Islamists

I hope Bill Gates doesn't hear about this! Windows Vista is bad enough.
    Oh good gods. That would be... Grim. Luckily there is an ocean between them and me!

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BDC
    Oh good gods. That would be... Grim. Luckily there is an ocean between them and me!
    That's why they have IE.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

It's nice to hear about an Islamic authority doing something positive for the world. Such things don't turn up often enough here in the backroom.

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey