Thread: IGN Faction Preview - The Spanish

Default IGN Faction Preview - The Spanish

Signifer, Cohors II Legio II Member Comrade Alexeo's Avatar

Default Re: IGN Faction Preview - The Spanish

Hmmm... very intriguing selection, with the focus on lighter troop types.

Makes me wonder how they'll do in the long run, though. Light troops are all well and good, but they pale in comparison to, say, the massive selection of heavy cavalry available to the French...

A gamer friend of mine who I've convinced to try M2TW says he's going to go Spanish first. I certainly hope Spain has an ace up its sleeve somewhere that I'm not seeing it, because otherwise he might have a hell of a time sending Sword and Buckler men against Zweihanders...
    Signifer Titus Vorenus
    Cohors II Legion II
    Triana Fortis

http://www.geocities.com/tuccius2112...ianaindex.html

Senior Member Senior Member Cheetah's Avatar

Well, big question is whether historical formations, like tercio pikemen + musketeers work or not. If it works, then IMO spanish will do fine, after all there was a reason why it was lot more common and dominant than a "zweihander rush". However, if it does not work then indeed the Spanish might be in trouble but even in that case I am not sure. They have a very good range of shooters: several crossbowmen, arquebus, musketeers; good range of light missile troops, missile cavalry. On open terrain an army like this should be able to handle melee infantry heavy army types. And if those tercio pikemen are any good then it should be able handle cavalry heavy armies as well.
    All in all, much depends on the tercio pikemen ...

But definitely the Spanish will be fun to play, it is a much needed variety compared to the old MTW unit rosters.
    Lional of Cornwall
    proud member of the Round Table Knights

"If you wish to weaken the enemy's sword, move first, fly in and cut!" - Ueshiba Morihei O-Sensei

Signifer, Cohors II Legio II Member Comrade Alexeo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah
    Well, big question is whether historical formations, like tercio pikemen + musketeers work or not. If it works, then IMO spanish will do fine, after all there was a reason why it was lot more common and dominant than a "zweihander rush". However, if it does not work then indeed the Spanish might be in trouble but even in that case I am not sure. They have a very good range of shooters: several crossbowmen, arquebus, musketeers; good range of light missile troops, missile cavalry. On open terrain an army like this should be able to handle melee infantry heavy army types. And if those tercio pikemen are any good then it should be able handle cavalry heavy armies as well.
    All in all, much depends on the tercio pikemen ...

But definitely the Spanish will be fun to play, it is a much needed variety compared to the old MTW unit rosters.
    True, but other factions also have pikemen.

Let's go back to my HRE vs. Spain example.

Tercios vs. Landsknechts = presumably equal, draw
    Dismounted knights vs. Zweihanders = HRE
    Gothic Knights vs. Spanish knights = HRE, unless they're KoS in which case presumably a draw
    Ranged units = draw, until late on when Spain gets Musketeers... if they even get there
    Sword and Bucklers vs. Armoured Sergeants = presumably Spain

Therein lies the problem; Spain probably has one of the better, if not the best, light infantry in their Sword and Bucklers - but light infantry can only go so far, particularly when you're talking about European combat. In a region of the world where battles were essentially decided by sheer brute force, saying you've got nice light infantry and cavalry isn't saying much.

Now, this isn't necessarily a bad thing per se - I know I certainly enjoy using lighter, more mobile armies to challenge myself - but Spain seems very much a "thinking man's" faction, which might turn off some people (shame, but that's how it goes). Plus, more importantly, you have to consider how the AI will handle autocalc.
    Signifer Titus Vorenus
    Cohors II Legion II
    Triana Fortis

http://www.geocities.com/tuccius2112...ianaindex.html

IGN is certainly cranking out these previews now that the game is almost out. They made them what, once a month before, now we've seen two in a matter of days.

Can't say I'd like it otherwise, haha.

The Spanish wernt really a formitable force this early on in history but I do agree that they get pretty strong later on. Not to mention you get Conqistidors although only in the America's you can always ship them home :P
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    When you find yourself sinking into madness, Dive!
    WE WANT A...............DEMO!
    This message is brought to you by the Demo Legions. If you have the Demo remember this, We will find you!

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Javelins can reign supreme against heavily armoured enemies. Everybody who played MTW blessed the jinettes when they played Spain and cursed them when they didn't. excellent light infantry and cav armed with AP missiles will probably even the odds out if the player and the AI knows how to use them. And I'm sure the sword and buckler men will be one hell of a flanking unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant Phill
    Javelins can reign supreme against heavily armoured enemies. Everybody who played MTW blessed the jinettes when they played Spain and cursed them when they didn't. excellent light infantry and cav armed with AP missiles will probably even the odds out if the player and the AI knows how to use them. And I'm sure the sword and buckler men will be one hell of a flanking unit.
    Can't agree more. I can't wait for that tasty Jinette spam, yum . I'm not sure if iron works the same way in this game but if the Spanish can get as many weapon upgrades as before, they'll do just fine.

Besides, massive, decisive battles are for rookies; a real general uses raids .

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Add Almughavars to the Jinettes and the Spanish have two great javelin units to deal with heavy armor. They seem like they will be a lot of fun to play - a nto so easy starting position, Crusades, the New World. Actually, theya re the first faction that I would like to play based on the previews.

Default IGN Faction Preview - The Spanish

Nice preview

I guess that the Almughavars and the Sword&Buckler Infantry will be an almost perfect flanking tandem. Both are fast and are togheter than just two single units.

The Almughavars should offer good protection against light to medium cavalry thanks to their spears and can - if MTW1 is a guidline - wreak havoc on armored troops thanks to their javelins. They are also usuable as light shocktroops and can close in to help the Bucklers to finish their job.

The Bucklers should be the finest shocktroops against light to medium infantry armed with polearms,pikes or spears and still good against swords.
    Cavalry and well armored foes will be their bane, I guess.
    Last edited by Gealai; 11-09-2006 at 18:46.