Thread: Demo Won't Run

Default Demo Won't Run

Hey guys I have a pretty noobish question, but I know absolutely nothing about computers and how the work, but when ever I try and run the demo, it comes up with this here . I know I probably need a new graphics card, but I was just wondering if I have to like update it or something.
    "Nuts" -Gen. Anthony McAuliffe-

What doesnt kill you makes you stronger.

Default Re: Demo Won't Run

Lol, If it says it's not supported, it probably won't be.

Could be that you have ancient drivers.

So you could always try updating them.

What graphics card do you have exactly?

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

I'm afraid it looks like you're going to need a new card.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

I got that same message, but my graphics card ran R:TW just fine. I'm puzzled; supposedly, if you can run R:TW on high settings, shouldn't you be able to run M2:TW on medium settings?

RTW didn't require Shader 1.1. Medieval II does.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

How do you go about updating graphics cards? My computer isn't that old, it is just a standard Dell that we got around the release of RTW.

Same here, Awesome Archer. I got my DELL a little over a year ago. So, how do you go about it? Do you do it yourself?

Signifer, Cohors II Legio II Member Comrade Alexeo's Avatar

Putting in a new graphics card isn't particularly difficult, so long as you're careful.

First things first, though; a new card will set you back quite a bit. You might want to grab an issue of PCGamer or some such magazine that often reviews video cards.

When you actually replace the card, you'll be doing it in your tower (not the monitor, which I've heard some people think - with disastrous results). DON'T do it on carpet, and be sure to release static by touching metal; electric buildup could accidentally cause you to fry everything!

I last replaced a graphics card forever ago, so bear with me, but I'm fairly sure that most graphics cards look basically the same, at least configuration-wise, so it shouldn't be too hard to simply pull out the old one and put in the new one. Of course, you should get a friend who knows what he's doing to help you out :)

I don't think software needs to be installed - but, again, as of several years ago. When you turn your computer back on, your computer should mostly figure out what to do on it's own. It'll probably take you to some sort of settings page to figure out details.

Good luck
    Signifer Titus Vorenus
    Cohors II Legion II
    Triana Fortis

http://www.geocities.com/tuccius2112...ianaindex.html

Alright well I figured out what kind of graphics card I have, it is a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with APG8X. Is there any way that I can get it run MTW 2?

Oh man. The GeForce 4MX's were essentially GeForce 3's, if I remember correctly. So, absolutely no chance in hell.

Sorry.

Oh Dang, that is a bummer. Well I guess I will be gettin a new card then. What would you recomend? I dont want to spend a ton of money, I basically just need to be able to run MTW 2 as that is probably all I will be playing for the next year. Any help would be much appreciated.

The AGP version of the 7600 GT is the best card you can buy at the moment without getting a new motherboard/processor also, so I'd go for that.

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeArcher
    Alright well I figured out what kind of graphics card I have, it is a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with APG8X. Is there any way that I can get it run MTW 2?
    Oh man, a MX 440... Consider this, the latest card is the Geforce 8. Taking into consideration the MX is a GeForce3, you're... 5 generations behind.

And oh yes, the 7600 GT is probably the best choice.

Praeparet bellum Member Quillan's Avatar

Geforce 2. Geforce 4 MX cards had nothing more than a Geforce 2 chipset that ran at a much higher clock speed. They sucked. Nvidia suckered lots of people with that mislabeled piece of garbage.

Oh, and the best AGP card currently on the market is the 7800GS, but those run nearly $300. It's only a 4 pixel shader difference between the 7800 and 7600 series cards, and since the 7600 is about $150, it's a much better deal.
    Last edited by Quillan; 11-15-2006 at 06:26.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Alright thanks guys, I will see what I can talk my parents into.