Thread: Thai military fights corruption - by being more corrupt

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Default Thai military fights corruption - by being more corrupt

There were some posters who felt that the Thai coup d'etat was justified because the military would be able to stamp down on the corruption of PM Thaksin's government.

Well, they've found a way to do it. Pay themselves more.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Thai coup chiefs in extra pay row

Thailand's coup leaders are under fire for allegedly accepting extra payments that effectively double their salaries.

Thai newspapers report that the new cabinet decided to give the leaders of September's coup additional pay on top of their monthly military salaries.

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont is reported to have defended the move, saying the extra payments were worth it to rid the country of corruption.

Graft was a key reason given for the ousting of PM Thaksin Shinawatra.

Payments for the seven-member Council for National Security (CNS), as the coup leaders call themselves, were agreed by the cabinet on Tuesday.

Members of other bodies, including the National Legislative Assembly, were also awarded salaries.

Coup leader Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin will get a salary of nearly 120,000 baht ($3,000) per month for chairing the CNS, a similar amount to his monthly military salary, according to the Bangkok Post newspaper.

His deputy, Air Chief Marshal Chalit Phukphasuk, will receive nearly 114,000 baht while the other five CNS members will receive 110,000 baht, in addition to their military salaries.

The coup leaders have also been given positions on the boards of state firms.

The moves drew criticism from Thailand's Nation newspaper, which said it was "egg in the face" for all who had backed the coup and an "early Christmas gift" for those who opposed it.

"What on earth were the coup leaders thinking? I can't figure out any good reason except that they are now so bored with the job already and want to provoke a street protest so as to exit quickly with a good pretext," editor Tulsathit Taptim wrote.

The Bangkok Post quoted Prime Minister Surayud as saying that the extra salaries were worth paying if it meant getting rid of corruption.

This is the true gem:

The Bangkok Post quoted Prime Minister Surayud as saying that the extra salaries were worth paying if it meant getting rid of corruption.

Let's not even concern ourselves about how they are "protecting democracy" by appointing another general as PM. I wonder how long it will be before they get tired of the press reporting these "inaccuracies"?

Anyone still keen on arguing that military coups are good for democracy?

"If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Default Re: Thai military fights corruption - by being more corrupt

Paying civil servants decent wages is a sensible way of combatting corruption - they have more to lose if they are caught; and they don't need to scrabble around for other sources of income to make a living.

However, on balance, I agree with you: this creates a sickening feeling in my stomach. Getting the generals on the boards of major firms in particular rings alarm bells. I would want to hear what relevant international agencies - the World Bank, IMF, Transparency International etc - say about it, but it does not look good.

The Thai coup d'etat just sent all the wrong signals. It is a simple issue to me: do you want to change governments through one person one vote; or by who has the most guns?

Oh well, the military can ensure democracy, it just needs the right leaders, maybe they have the wrong leaders. I never met one of their generals personally so I cannot judge this. The point is that the leaders need to believe in democracy themselves and not be powerhungry.
    I guess a lot of military leaders are powerhungry.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Yesdachi swallowed by Jaguar! Member yesdachi's Avatar

Big whoop, an extra $3,000 a month is diddly spit for the “leaders” of a country. How much do the “leaders” of the US make? Give them some cash to keep them loyal, at lease it is reported and not shook from the upside down pockets of the people.
    Peace in Europe will never stay, because I play Medieval II Total War every day. ~YesDachi

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yesdachi
    Big whoop, an extra $3,000 a month is diddly spit for the “leaders” of a country. How much do the “leaders” of the US make? Give them some cash to keep them loyal, at lease it is reported and not shook from the upside down pockets of the people.
    It's huge in Thailand. That puny $3,000/month. It equates something of a 120,000 baht (Thai currency unit). Three times an average salary man's whole month's work, and five or six times that of the common folk's.

Were anyone actually surprised? I know the name of these guys long before anyone here cares and none of them strikes me as any sort of honorable we-stand-for-Democracy kind of guys.

They are generals in the military of a developing country, for Buddha's sake. Corrupted bloodsuckers with guns.

A decade and a half of progress gone. How I'm pleased I'm in the USA now.
    Last edited by AntiochusIII; 11-10-2006 at 15:37.

Member Member Mumu Champion Prodigal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by econ21
    Getting the generals on the boards of major firms in particular rings alarm bells.
    What happens when you have civilians with political power, or influence being on the board of weapons manufacturers...Ah already know the answer to that one