Thread: The Org bug list - ONLY post bugs here

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Default The Org bug list - ONLY post bugs here

I guess we need a bug list. Please post only bugs here (although you can correct posts that are mistaken in their reports). Remember a bug is something that is not working as intended - this is not the thread to talk about historical inaccuracies or questionable game design decisions.

To make it a useful reference, they could be bugs that you have heard of elsewhere - for example, the passive AI bug that CA have already promised to patch. But obviously, don't needlessly duplicate bugs already reported in this thread.

I doubt I am going to do CAs work for them by systematically collating the bugs, so you will have to read the whole thread if you want to know them all. However, I am going to be ruthless with this thread and delete anything that does not report a bug or add to our understanding of one. If I get the stamina, I will edit posts so that all discussion of a particular bug is in the same post. Apologies in advance - no offence is meant to anyone.

EDIT: The crusade-blocking annoyance might qualify:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...39&postcount=1

As might some unit cohesion problems:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=72068
    Last edited by econ21; 11-14-2006 at 01:25.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Default Re: The Org bug list - ONLY post bugs here

OK, so there are two I know of:

The passive AI bug
    The massive lag in sieges when the AI only has one set of ladders to attack with.

Seii Taishōgun 征夷大将軍 Member PROMETHEUS's Avatar

• passive AI besieging cities...
    • the Byz archers had this bug in skkinning of the arm ... ....

• some archers take like a lot of time to aim
    • The Italian translator forgot his mychrophone on while was reading the besieging speech ....
    • designers forgot to add a reiter type unit to Itailan Faction mounted musketeers with heavy plate armour (ok this may not be a bug but is a serious forgot thing to me ^^...)

Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.

VIS ET HONOR

Anyh00 - I found a couple of oddities.

1) Dumb French King. the French King decided it would be a good idea to attack Caen...... on his own I had nearly a full stack in there of upgraded longbows and billmen. Needless to say I attacked him in the field on his way to Caen. When it came to the battle, he stodd in the middle of some woods .... and stayed there. So I unloaded all 6 units of longbows on him. He just stood there until he was down to 3 men and ran off!?!? What's all that about? He made absolutely no attempt to get out of range of my longbows, or to even charge them - he just stood there and let his men die. Now I know the French orean't very clever but surely this takes the biscuit.

2) Attacking with multiple units. When I was attacking a French city - I'd broken through the walls and was closing in on the square. I had 6 units of billmen all lined up and the Froggies had one unit of general's bodyguard. there were other uints fighting but not involved in this little melee. I got all six units of billmen to attack the general's bodyguard cavalry to overwhelm them and chop skewer them. But not so... there seemed to be an element of "fair game" tactics being employed by my men. They simply wouldn't engage en-mass. The front of each unit just spread out towards the general and a few men at a time from each unit engaged. There must have been a less than 2 - 1 ration of my men to his, probably close to 1 - 1 actually engaged! the rest just stood there and watched as their mates got hacked to pieces by the general. Needless to say this carried on until I charged with my own general - which helped a bit, but no a lot so I withdrew my own general and let loose with the longbows. I lost many of my own men to stray arrows but it was a desperate attempt to get the upper hand. Surely you'd think that 6 billmen to one general should be a walk in the park for the billmen? I've noticed this quite a lot - especially fighting in cities, that units simply don't engage - they just watch as a few brave soles take on the entire enemy unit.

Last edited by econ21; 11-12-2006 at 13:55.
    Isn't it funny how people trash God and then wonder why the world's going to hell?

Another siege bug:
    https://img241.imageshack.us/img241/8169/bugwh0.jpg

After my ballistae ran out of ammo I was automatically defeated, though I had already destroyed the gates.

Moderator edit: Some further discussion of this:

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Isles
    I couldn't be that you were attacking a castle with an inner keep? I was doing that, used catapults to break the outer wall and then brought them up to break down the inner keep wall. When they ran out of ammo with the wall only 80% damaged, the battle ended (reasonably enough, since I had no other way of getting into the keep).

The was an inner keep, but it was one of those towns were the walls of the different layers are connected to eachother (not sure if this is always the case), so I would've been able to get into the inner keep with my infantry anyway, even though I had no siege weapons left.
    Last edited by econ21; 11-13-2006 at 10:13.

Definately a problem with siege weapons particularly the largest bombards. The game reboots its when you fire at the wall.

No, it isn't my computer overheating. Mine is watercooled.

Just an Oldfart Member Basileus's Avatar

1.You start a crusade and your crusading army loses its extra movement points so all your units start to desert every turn and you cant do anything, happend twice so far, once with the English and once with the French.

I had to hire mercs just to keep the army going with men and even the mercs deserted, the whole way to Jerusalem propably cost me 15k.

Moderator edit: from a later pos now deletedt:

Quote Originally Posted by Basileus
    About the crusade losing its extra movement points i posted earlier in this thread. I´ve found out i was wrong, basicly if you have agents following your crusade you lose the extra movement points you gain as a crusade, i still think this should be fixed though.
    2. Youre getting sieged by one army and one more is close and joins the battle, all good but the problem is that if you beat the army that sieged you the other army usualy stands on the other side until the timer runs out..so you basicly have to wait it out each time and its very annoying.

Reinforcements need to be fixed, currently its buggy as hell.
    Last edited by econ21; 11-16-2006 at 10:55.

:: HUGE PROBLEM ::

This has been addressed, but it's once of the most severe problems in the game as a catholic faction. When the pope orders you to do a ceasefire upon a faction that has attacked YOU, then when you can't get a ceasefire, all you can do is let the attacking faction kill you. Again this has been addressed 100 times but it's very important. I'm playing Milan right now and Venice attacked me..Pope said if I attack Venice I get EC'd. They wont take a ceasefire and keep attacking me.

I have noticed there is an issue with training experienced troops. In my England campaign, I have Nottingham (Castle) up to almost max buildings, including a Tourney Field and Master Swordsmith's Guild. Therefore any knights trained in Nottingham should receive a +3 experience bonus (+2 from Tourney and +1Global from MSG).

I had placed 3 Feudal Knights into the training queue and eagerly awaited the next turn to see Sgt knights coming out. Next turn, I got 3 ordinary Feudals without any experience, but I did see the Retrain tab was enabled. OK, checked the retrain and there are the 3 knights waiting for training. R-click inspection of the retrain units listed them as +3 experience, so I assumed if I paid the 365fl each, the retraining would get them to Sgt level.

Next turn happens, they're still in the Retrain tab. They're not even +1 experience on their unit cards. So, I retrain, retrain, retrain, @ 365fl a turn each. After about 5 turns, when I wasn't so rich, and could no longer afford to spend 3 x 365 for each turn, so I moved them out and sent them to battle in Europe.

I then trained 2 more Feudals and retrained a Dismounted Feudal Knight. Much to my surprise, the 2 Feudals on their initial training popped out as +3 experience, without a need for retraining at all???

Cool, I next trained another Feudal knight, an Armoured Swordsman and a Retinue Longbowman. What happens, this Feudal Knight comes out without any experience and straight into the retrain option.

To sum it up for those who got bored.
    - Trained 3 new Feudals (0 exp)
    - Retrained same 3 Feudals (0 exp)
    - Retrained same 3 Feudals (0 exp) moved them to ship
    - Train 2 new Feudals and retrain Armoured Swordsman > 2 Feudals (+3 exp)
    - Train new Feudal, AS and RL > Feudal (0 exp)

Is this a bug? Has anyone else experienced this?

I must admit there are other experience bonuses I should have paid more attention to with other units, but this was one I did watch closely and it certainly didn't work at all (been having too much fun with a new TW). In RTW all units would get the promised experience upon initial training. Any units, whether 0, +1 or +2 that were retrained in RTW would get the full experience from the first retrain (i.e. Brutii with Awesome Temple to +3).

Comments or assistance will be much appreciated.

1000 post member club Member Quid's Avatar

I have posted this twice (once in another thread), so apologies to those poor sods having to read it twice.

Am playing as England and have conquered all of France, some HRE and parts of Denmark.

I am at war with Milan and Spain. I have one diplomat each at the northern Spanish provinces trying to convince them that peace is the way to go. They are not interested (even if I offer them large sums of money - just for fun).

However, one thing did strike me as weird. They are currently on my land with two huge stacks of armies, yet, when I ask them for money (100 florins) they offer me 2000 instead - at times without even asking for anything. At other times they ask me not to attack. As I am not suicidal, I won't and let them pay me every turn (conceeded, they do tend to pay me less and less everytime).

All this gives me a total of well over 3000 florins every turn as I have now decided to play the same game with Denmark.

Peace (neutral stance) will not let you allow to use your diplomats to any further effect apart from using them to give presents.

I wonder if anyone else has tried this...if not, have a go and let me know...

Quid
    ...for it is revenge I seek...

Cry Havoc and let slip the dogs of war
    Juleus Ceasar, Shakespear

Free Company heavy Infantry reply with 'heavy calvary'
    Look what these bastards have done to Wales. They've taken our coal, our water, our steel. They buy our homes and live in them for a fortnight every year. What have they given us? Absolutely nothing. We've been exploited, raped, controlled and punished by the English — and that's who you are playing this afternoon Phil Bennett's pre 1977 Rugby match speech

MASSIVE merchant trade bug:

(Spotted by Kobal2fr and just verified by myself)

Capital London, faction English, vh/vh

Level 7 Merchant on gold in Timbuktu - after loading the game, Florins per turn = 100

Switch Capital to Nicossia - income 500 per turn

Return Capital to London - income 800 per turn

SAVE game, -> RELOAD

Income per turn 100 florins.

- Thus - after a load you need to relocate your capital otherwise the game will not correctly work out the trade values for any of your merchants - by what appears to be a VERY big degree of error.
    morsus mihi

Hate for this to be my very first post here, but I'm so frustrated right now I had to give some imput.

Some bugs I have found (some of these may have already been stated):

-My biggest complaint is in battle my units will not respond to orders. For example I tried clicking my army away from a castle so as not to get hit by archers. Not only did half my army not move backwards, they actually moved towards the castle!!! I tried clicking behind them again but they would not respond at all. They were then immidiatelly charged upon and fired upon and killed. Nice...

In that same batte I sent 3 spear units to attack the general's bodyguard who was charing my entire army when they got there, I'd say maybe 8 guys out of 120 did anything. Two whole units stood behind my one spear unit and just sat there. I tried clicking on them individually to attack the general but every right click gave me the same result...NOTHING!!

I love this game for the most part but this is F'n rediculous.

-Another issue is the crusade desertions. I had to change my route while crusading because another army was blocking my path. When I went even slightly out of the way of my target I had almot half that army desert in two turns. Needs to be fixed.

-Back to the battles, it feels like I have no control over units as they pretty much do whatever they want.

-Spacing issues in battles (which I know has been addressed)

I hope this all gets addressed in this next patch because I would love to actually feel like I'm fighting the enemy and not fighting through the bugs just to enjoy this game.

I've got a major Siege slowdown issue.

My system handles everything fine. I can assault a city/fortress without difficulty, and the initial defence starts our fine, but about 5 minutes into a siege defence, and from memory always after I issue a sortie to drive an undefended group of ladders or something from the walls, I end up with unplayable slowdown (about a second every 5 second to 10 seconds). Graphic settings make no difference, nore does anythign else I try.

System should be fine for this, particularly on lowest settings (where I ended up as mentioned above, to no avail), and I've had no problem in assaulting (even with more units in the battle), only in defence.

Yeh - it's an issue with the ai that i've mentioned in the major bugs section. Still a bummer though :(
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Default Kings Distance to capital bonus

Well not to sure that's exactly what it is or a bug.

As England I had my king in Acre after a crusade. I looked at the settlement details and noticed instead of distance to capital penalty being 80 it is 30.

It appears the king can nearly kill the distance to capitol penalty. The only thing is he died and the penalty stayed at 30 percent.

So is this a bug or was the king causing a 50 percent reduction, and the bug is the 50 percent bonus staying after he dies.
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

Typing from the Saddle Senior Member Doug-Thompson's Avatar

Default Re: Kings Distance to capital bonus

"In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns."

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Merging two threads into the bug list.
    Last edited by Martok; 11-29-2006 at 07:55.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Research Fiend Technical Administrator Tetris Champion, Summer Games Champion, Snakeman Champion, Ms Pacman Champion therother's Avatar

Default Re: Kings Distance to capital bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Oaty
    As England I had my king in Acre after a crusade. I looked at the settlement details and noticed instead of distance to capital penalty being 80 it is 30.
    Is Acre a city or a castle? Castles get a 2.5 fold reduction in the distance to capital penalty.
    Nullius addictus iurare in uerba magistri -- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

History is a pack of lies about events that never happened told by people who weren't there -- George Santayana

Default The Virtue of Indecision

So I'm toying with the idea of launching a crusade and just for the heck of it have one of my somewhat decent newly adopted french general raise a nice army and have it go to crusade. I then finally stop to think just what happens if I click "Abandon Crusade" as I never thought of a situation where that would be necessary. So I saved the game and clicked it. Nothing.

Hmm looks like my general got +1 Chivalry for joining it, ok well back on track. So I have him rejoin the crusade...wait a minute, he just got more chivalry? Well looks like the "Ruler" trait is increased towards the chivalrous side each time you join a crusade, regardless of whether you finish said crusade or not. So I figure what the hell lets see what else may happen and BAM Peter the hermit is in my retinue, sweet. Spam it a few more times and my general is now known as a Saint and the Ruler trait grants +5 Chivalry +3 Authority. Not bad for never having to leave home to fight the infidels.
    All men will one day die, but not every man will truely live.

Default Re: The Virtue of Indecision

Sounds like a prime candidate for the bug-fix patch list. Fun though :)

Must work with Jihads also then. Did you do this in the same turn or on consecutive turns?
    "Go tell the Spartans,stranger passing by that here,obedient to their laws we lie."

Praeparet bellum Member Quillan's Avatar

Won't all the troops other than general's bodyguards who were in that army desert at the end of the turn?
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

I did it all on the same turn, you can join and leave as often as you want, and a crusading army has to be leaderless for two full consecutive turns to disband I think so it was fine.
    All men will one day die, but not every man will truely live.